Monday, January 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, January 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by tiwonge »

Thought that it was easy enough to determine the etymology of Novosibirsk (Novo (new) + sibirsk (sounds like Siberia)) without the hint, but seeing comments here, I guess it's good that they included it.

I got The Red and the Black, but I thought it was hard for a top box clue. Did others get it? I don't know how easy it is to puzzle it out if you've never heard of the book.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Count me as someone surprised they didn't accept "Byelorussia".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

sillymoose wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm I imagine I’d get credit for answering New Siberian, right? Or does that n make it wrong?
My response would have been "New Siberian City." Being supplied a noun that followed made me strongly favor the adjective.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

tiwonge wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:45 pm Thought that it was easy enough to determine the etymology of Novosibirsk (Novo (new) + sibirsk (sounds like Siberia)) without the hint, but seeing comments here, I guess it's good that they included it.

I got The Red and the Black, but I thought it was hard for a top box clue. Did others get it? I don't know how easy it is to puzzle it out if you've never heard of the book.
But extremely easy if you have, even though the correct response is not really the name. I was almost as irritated by Gerard giving the full name of this and Robert Graves' book, when they weren't what the clue asked for, as his leaving out Gretel later...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 pm
sillymoose wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:01 pm I imagine I’d get credit for answering New Siberian, right? Or does that n make it wrong?
My response would have been "New Siberian City." Being supplied a noun that followed made me strongly favor the adjective.
I was thinking of things like "New York City" and "Oklahoma City" when I said "New Siberia", but, thinking about it now, I like your logic better. It's not a city in New Siberia (which, I just learned, is an island nowhere near Novosibirsk), it's a new Siberian city.

I was surprised that Byelorussia was not accepted, but I would have been annoyed if it had been overturned since they should have been prepared to accept or reject Byelorussia and Belorussia (different transliterations of the same name) without consulting the judges.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 pm Was anyone else surprised by the definition of "color" as a "sensation felt as waves of light hit the retina"? I thought it generally took LSD or something similar before you could actually feel the colors hit your eyeballs. Fortunately, Rachel guessed the correct response, so, as Alex says, "no harm, no foul."

Speaking of which, take a drink, because he said it this very game.
'Color' was very weirdly written. HSV + retina made it obvious what they want, but the road they took to get there... :?
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:37 pm
IronNeck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm Is it just me, or did Adrianne say "A Pilgrim's Progress"? If so, she should have been negged. There is plenty of precedent for getting articles on book titles wrong.
She did say "A". And that would make the title wrong, as the full title is The Pilgrim's Progress from This World, to That Which Is to Come.
I'm 95% sure on this, but initial articles for titles can still be wrong as long as there's no work with the wrong initial article: e.g., (The) Invisible Man. Articles within the title have to be correct.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 pm I was almost as irritated by Gerard giving the full name of this and Robert Graves' book, when they weren't what the clue asked for, as his leaving out Gretel later...
Me, too. When the clue asks for A word it doesn't seem like a two word response should be correct.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Volante wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:31 pm I'm 95% sure on this, but initial articles for titles can still be wrong as long as there's no work with the wrong initial article: e.g., (The) Invisible Man. Articles within the title have to be correct.
Yes, I remember reading that now, somewhere.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

OSXpert wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 pm I called a reversal of "My battle", since that seemed reasonably close enough for translation to "My struggle", but I guess not.
From "Mein Kampf", I presume? Seems an absurd non-reversal to me. Would you translate "kampfwagen" as struggle wagon?

Newport here in FJ. I figured "birsk" was city, and "si" sounds like sea, but since the answer is "newport" and not "newsea", they're not giving the answer away, and so it's a legit clue. I suppose if I'd thought about it more, I'd have realized many Russian cities end with "sk" and not many with "birsk", but it still seems a lot to call one city a "new" vast thing like Siberia. "Little Siberia" I'd have bought. I suppose I'm a bad loser.

ETA--Having read the rest of the thread (I always get around to it eventually), I see this has been addressed. "New Siberian City". I guess I'll buy that.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

IronNeck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:12 pm Is it just me, or did Adrianne say "A Pilgrim's Progress"? If so, she should have been negged. There is plenty of precedent for getting articles on book titles wrong.
Leading articles ("The" in this case) can be added or dropped with impunity unless it creates ambiguity with another work (which it doesn't).

And "commonly shortened titles" are also accepted. Like we want to hear the full titles of Daniel Defoe's works...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 pm Me, too. When the clue asks for A word it doesn't seem like a two word response should be correct.
When extra information is given, as long as the extra information is given isn't incorrect, it's ruled correct.

("I, Nero" would have been negged, for example.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 pm Me, too. When the clue asks for A word it doesn't seem like a two word response should be correct.
When extra information is given, as long as the extra information is given isn't incorrect, it's ruled correct.

I thought the clue said "first word?" Giving a second word should make it incorrect. I realize they don't seem to care.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

There was a rather awkward edit just before the Hansel and Gretl DD. They showed Gerard making his wager, then Alex looking down as he marked his card, then back to Gerard with the clue already displayed with no transition animation. I wonder what happened.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:52 pm

I thought the clue said "first word?" Giving a second word should make it incorrect. I realize they don't seem to care.
I agree with you. If they ask for a 6-letter word and you, say, pluralize it into a 7-letter word, you'll get negged. Why is this any different?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:41 pm Was anyone else surprised by the definition of "color" as a "sensation felt as waves of light hit the retina"? I thought it generally took LSD or something similar before you could actually feel the colors hit your eyeballs.
This clue boggled me. I finally just said "vision", but thought maybe it should be "eyesight". The five senses include "sight". If the penguin has the wording correct (forgive any shadow of doubt :cry: ), there is nothing to indicate the correct response should be "color". If it said cone cells, OK.

(Disclaimer - Random Pop Physics junk science following:) Our rods and cones are stimulated by the photons acting in particle mode (not "waves") as the pupils are too large for diffraction patterns. Of course the refraction of the eyeball is a wave behavior. I believe I've heard someplace it takes an average of 7 photons to stimulate the cone cell. This is a true quantum mechanical event, and the only one we experience through physiology. Otherwise, we are analog machines, baby.. :lol: (End of misinformation zone - this is the domain of the stamp collectors)

If the answer had to be "color" only, it was a terrible clue and they are lucky it slid through.

I just guessed FJ based on the nice TOM. NHO it, but it seemed like a dumb enough name. We just adopted a stray cat and named it "Nu Kitty".

I thought Adrianne was going to be the new champ and answered some tough clues. She was guilty of trying to guess bottom box clues - did she really think that "Horne" would pass muster for $1600? Looking forward to see how far Rachel can go.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:12 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:52 pm

I agree with you. If they ask for a 6-letter word and you, say, pluralize it into a 7-letter word, you'll get negged. Why is this any different?
I think we had another one like this; asking for "cubed" (or maybe "cube"), and the reply was "ten cubed" to compute to "ten ten cubed" as phrased. I'm somewhat agnostic about whether they should demand perfect answer syntax when the gist of the clue was "Do you know what n x n x n is called?". For some people, it is a reach to remember what are cubes and squares. Even the damn scarecrow got it wrong (twice) in the Wizard of Oz after he got his University Diploma!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:12 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:53 pm
I was thinking of things like "New York City" and "Oklahoma City" when I said "New Siberia", but, thinking about it now, I like your logic better. It's not a city in New Siberia (which, I just learned, is an island nowhere near Novosibirsk), it's a new Siberian city.
Unless I can find (or am shown) evidence that the people who named it specifically wanted it to translate to "New Siberia City," I'm going to count "New Siberian (City)" as a get.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

27 right.

Biopic (4), Country (4), Stand (3), Good (2), Campbell (2), Soup (0)
Mezzo (1), Furniture (1), "C" "D" (3), TV (3), Crusader (3), Light (1)

No Lach Trash.

Instaget FJ.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So am I the only dumbass who didn't get this even remotely right?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:36 am So am I the only dumbass who didn't get this even remotely right?
I'll accept compliments wherever I find them. Thanks!
I'm smart and I want respect.