Thursday, January 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7684, 2018-01-25

Rachel Lindgren game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Jeff Machusko, a data analyst from Centennial, Colorado
Rosie Jonker, a literary agent from New York, New York
Rachel Lindgren, a fire lookout from Bend, Oregon (whose 4-day cash winnings total $65,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, everyone, and welcome aboard. Rosie and Jeff, good to have you with us today. Good luck to you and to our returning champion, Rachel. Here we go into the first round of play. One Daily Double awaiting you in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE QUOTABLE WILL ROGERS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
3-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
BAND OF BROTHERS & SISTERS (5/5)
TRAIN TIME (3/5)
FOUND MY PLACE IN THE BOOK (3/5)
CRAYOLA COLORS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rosie: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jeff: 2 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rachel: $3,600
Rosie: $2,600
Jeff: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm going to make an assumption about Jeff Machusko from Centennial, Colorado. He must be a big fan of this show because you interrupted your honeymoon to come here today and tape the show?

Jeff: We left Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and flew directly to Los Angeles, yeah.

Alex: Okay. How does your bride feel about that?

Jeff: It's probably the best birthday she's ever had.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, really?

Jeff: Today's her birthday as well.

Alex: Oh, well, hey. Good for you.

Alex: Rosie Jonker, a literary agent from New York. From time to time, we have had clues about the Loch Ness monster. You are one of the few people who thinks they saw the Loch Ness monster.

Rosie: Well, yes. So my friends and I were on a road trip in Scotland, and we went to watch the sunrise over the cliffs, over Old Hall Bay. And we looked down into the water, and we saw what we thought were some sort of rock formations, until we noticed that one of them was moving. And so because it wasn't Loch Ness, I don't think it was technically Nessie, but it might have been her cousin, is the story I'm going with.

Alex: Beverly.

[Laughter]

Rosie: Beverly. Yes, Beverly.

Alex: Yes, thank you.

Alex: Rachel Lindgren is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. We've often had clues also about a place that is not visited as often or as frequently as, say, France or England. That's Iceland. I wanna hear about your visit to Iceland.

Rachel: Yeah, so I went to Iceland with three of my friends, and we did a big road trip. We did the Ring Road all around the whole island. It was rainy and cold the whole time, but we got really lucky one night and we did see the Aurora.

Alex: Good.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rosie found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Rachel had $5,200, Rosie had $4,000, and Jeff was at $200. Rosie wagered $2,000.

THE QUOTABLE WILL ROGERS $400: This then 96-member institution "opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation"
(Rosie: What is Interpol?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRAIN TIME $600: In the 1800s inventions like this man's improved steam engine were adapted for trains
(Jeff: Who is Fulton?)

TRAIN TIME $1000: In 1873, Eli Janney patented the knuckle version of this special semi-automatic train car connector
(Rosie: What is a handshake connector?)

FOUND MY PLACE IN THE BOOK $200: Jhumpa Lahiri's novel "The Namesake" follows a family moving from Calcutta to this collegey Boston-area city

FOUND MY PLACE IN THE BOOK $1000: "Even Silence Has an End" by Ingrid Betancourt tells of 6 years as a captive of the FARC organization in this country

THE QUOTABLE WILL ROGERS $600: A frequent opening line, "All I know is" this

THE QUOTABLE WILL ROGERS $1000: "I never met" one of these
(Jeff: What is "a man I never liked"?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rachel: $5,200
Rosie: $2,800
Jeff: -$800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 25, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
3-NAME THE AUTHOR (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HISTORIC BOYCOTTS (3/5)
RHYMING TERMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE PRODUCERS (4/5)
HEAVENS (3/5)
TIBET SEE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rosie: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rachel: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jeff: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeff snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Rachel had $5,600, Rosie had $3,600, and Jeff was at $800. Jeff wagered $2,000.

RHYMING TERMS $1600: Greek term for the unwashed masses

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rosie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Rachel had $8,400, Rosie had $6,800, and Jeff was at $2,800. Rosie wagered $3,000.

3-NAME THE AUTHOR $1200: "Jo's Boys, and How They Turned Out"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HEAVENS $1200: Fats Domino sang, "Just Molly & me, & baby makes 3, we're happy in" this place

HEAVENS $1600: These heavenly gates are one route to climb Oregon's Mount Hood
(Alex: Rachel is trying desperately to come up with this response because she works in Oregon. [*].)

3-NAME THE AUTHOR $1600: "The Maine Woods", published posthumously in 1864

3-NAME THE AUTHOR $2000: "The Magician of Lublin"

TIBET SEE $800: Here's a view of this Tibetan capital city, about 12,000 feet above sea level
(Rachel: What is Lhasa Apso? Or--shoot--)
(Alex: No.)
(Rachel: What is [*]?)

THE PRODUCERS $2000: After leaving Amblin Entertainment, Frank Marshall & this wife produced "Seabiscuit" & "The Bourne Identity"

TIBET SEE $2000: The Tashi Lhunpo monastery is headed by this lama, traditionally number two to the Dalai Lama

HISTORIC BOYCOTTS $800: The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan led the U.S. & 60 other nations to boycott the summer Olympics of this year

HISTORIC BOYCOTTS $1600: In 1894 the U.S. transport system slowed as the American Railway Union supported a boycott of this company

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rosie: $13,800
Rachel: $10,800
Jeff: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY EUROPEANS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place.
Rosie: Wager $7,801 to cover Rachel.
Rachel: You'll want to wager $3,001, and you'll win the game if Rosie wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Jeff: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In an 1889 letter to his brother, he wrote, “I wouldn’t exactly have chosen madness if there had been a choice”

FINAL SCORES
Jeff: $5,200 - $3,000 = $2,200 (Who ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rachel: $10,800 - $0 = $10,800 (Who is Dostoevsky???) (5-day champion: $75,999)
Rosie: $13,800 - $7,801 = $5,999 (Who is Nietzsche) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rosie: $14,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: $10,800, 15 R, 1 W
Jeff: $4,800, 7 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $29,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rosie: 22/60 = .367
Rachel: 15/58 = .259
Jeff: 7/59 = .119
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
3-LETTER WORDS $400: It's the deadly species seen here, notorious since ancient times

3-LETTER WORDS $800: This popular Jamaican music stye from the late 1950s predates reggae

CRAYOLA COLORS $400: In 1996 the 100 billionth Crayola was molded in this color, the top prize at many a state fair
(Jeff: What is blue?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jeff: What...)

FOUND MY PLACE IN THE BOOK $400: This author left her familiar prairie settings for New Mexico in "Death Comes for the Archbishop"
(Jeff: Who is Wilder?)

FOUND MY PLACE IN THE BOOK $600: "Snow Falling in Spring" is Moying Li's memoir of growing up in China during this late 1960s tumult
(Rosie: What is the Great Leap Forward?)

FOUND MY PLACE IN THE BOOK $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) A Patricia Highsmith novel takes us all around Rome--here's where Freddie Miles is killed, & here, at the Europa hotel, is where this "Talented" title character hides out as Dickie Greenleaf

THE QUOTABLE WILL ROGERS $200: "My ancestors didn't come over" on this, "but they met the boat"
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

HEAVENS $2000: The Heavens, a gabled section above the stage, provides shade & allows for overhead effects in this theatre

THE PRODUCERS $1200: In 2017 Shawn Ryan, creator of the L.A. cop show "The Shield", produced this CBS reboot with Shemar Moore
(Rosie: What is Lethal Weapon?)

TIBET SEE $400: Here is a different kind of string cheese--cheese from this local bovine is sometimes served rock hard

TIBET SEE $1200: Inside Tibetan prayer wheels are scrolls of om mani padme hum, one of these repeated Sanskrit prayers

TIBET SEE $1600: Tibetans can spend weeks making these circular diagrams of the cosmos in sand, then they sweep it all up

CORRECT RESPONSES
the United States Senate
James Watt
a coupler
Cambridge
Colombia
"All I know is what I read in the papers"
"I never met a man I didn't like"
the hoi polloi
Louisa May Alcott
my blue heaven
the Pearly Gates
Henry David Thoreau
Isaac Bashevis Singer
Lhasa
Kathleen Kennedy
the Panchen Lama
Pullman
Vincent van Gogh
an asp
ska
blue ribbon
Willa Cather
the Cultural Revolution
the talented Mr. Ripley
the Mayflower
the Globe
S.W.A.T.
a yak
a mantra
a mandala
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY EUROPEANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In an 1889 letter to his brother, he wrote, “I wouldn’t exactly have chosen madness if there had been a choice”

Rachel Lindgren: 10800-0=10800 (5x = $75,999)
Rosie Jonker: 13800-7801=5999
Jeff Machusko: 5200-3000=2200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Vincent Van Gogh (Rachel – Dostoevsky) (Rosie – Nietzche) (Jeff – Who ?)

Daily Doubles
Rosie: 4000-2000
Jeff: 800+2000
Rosie: 6800+3000

Coryats
Rachel: 10800
Rosie: 14000
Jeff: 4800

Combined: 29,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rachel: 5200
Rosie: 2800
Jeff: minus 800
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex was ready on the draw when Rachel named the dog and not the city in TIBET SEE as the host just got the neg in before she hit the correction.

There must have been a lot of 15/15 perfect opening segments as I had 14 with nothing seeming tough and only a slow processor kept me from figuring out the Crayola color quickly enough.

The FJ! clue insured me 80% for the week and I spent think time trying to figure out that if there was a miss who was the likely choice. Nietzsche & Dostoyevsky did not occur to me. The detours I thought might steer the players wrong were Dreyfus/Zola or Rasputin.

Second was the place to be in today’s game and Rachel took advantage of her trailing position for the first time not being in first going into the FJ! round.

Five wins matter more than money for the TOC, so Rachel has a lot of time to learn things such as Olympic boycott year before that invite gets to her.

Players below $75,999 for exactly five wins in the doubling era:
Lisa Klink $70,150
Kristin Morgan $69,098
Rani Peffer $68,701
Bob Mesko $68,599
Mark Brown $68,094
Paul Nelson $54,900
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I think the category might be wrong, FJGuy. Unless you're thinking of Armenia or Cuba. ;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How the hell is that a triple-stumper?

And why does the website keep logging me out every visit?
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:27 pm I think the category might be wrong, FJGuy. Unless you're thinking of Armenia or Cuba. ;)
Thanks, I had my notebook open to Rachel's game 1 instead of 5 when I was filling it out. Fixed.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm How the hell is that a triple-stumper?
I for one had nothing. If they'd said "artist" as part of the clue I would have stood more of a chance, but without that, "madness" and "brother" led me nowhere.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

After spacing out on yesterday's FJ, I redeemed myself with an instaget. I'm looking forward to seeing Rachel in the ToC.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I was only thinking of political figures I think, and I said George IV even though I was pretty sure that was too late for him. That broke an 8 game FJ streak for me.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Another day, another instaget FJ that the contestants whiffed on. I'm sure plenty of famous 19th c. Euros struggled with mental illness, but given that clue and that timeframe? I couldn't have written van Gogh any faster. I'm shocked none of them even WAGged him.

Welcome to the TOC, Rachel. Not the flashiest run, but slow and steady wins the race. Also, anyone who makes the proper bet from 2nd instead of the usual suicide wager is A-OK in my book.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

So the J! Archive has a wagering suggestion that doesn't agree with what happened, but I agree with the real one:
Three-quarters for first place
Jeff (5200): You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.
Rachel (10800): You'll want to wager $3,001, and you'll win the game if Player A wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Rosie (13800): Wager $7,801 to cover Player B.
Under the assumption that Rosie always bets to win, then an underbet like Rachel's, at most $399, is entirely logical.

So I guess my question is: is this a special situation that isn't yet covered in the Archive collection? Or just a math goof? And if the former, what shall we call it?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 pm Alex was ready on the draw when Rachel named the dog and not the city in TIBET SEE as the host just got the neg in before she hit the correction.
I'm slightly bothered by this after something went the other way yesterday (don't want to put spoilers here), but, since the rule is "you can correct yourself until Alex rules you incorrect, and the judges' ruling is final", I suppose that the variability has to be accepted as the equivalent of "ground rules".
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 pm The FJ! clue insured me 80% for the week and I spent think time trying to figure out that if there was a miss who was the likely choice. Nietzsche & Dostoyevsky did not occur to me. The detours I thought might steer the players wrong were Dreyfus/Zola or Rasputin.
I am also 4/4 so far this week, but I didn't know that until I checked. I didn't have any particular conviction about the correctness of my response, but it didn't seem obviously wrong.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I only went 12-3 in the first quarter of the game, missing rig, sienna, and Heart. I did get FJ pretty quickly, I made sure to put his first name just in case since they were answering for a brother.

I ran Will Rogers pretty easily. Did they just happen to pick three players today who are clueless about him or has his humor passed from the main stage? He died three years before my mother was born, so it's not like he is someone I remember personally. I don't do the J6 clues, but I wonder if the extra Rogers clue was his about not belonging to an organized political party.

I don't track LT, but I think I had enough for a fourth podium win and I bet I'm not alone.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

34 R
DD: 2/3 (Senate, Louisa May Alcott)
FJ: :oops:
LT: James Watt, Cambridge, Colombia, (Senate), Lhasa, Panchen Lama, 1980

Hand in Face after not coming up with Hoi Polloi.

5/5 in 3 letter words. First time I ran a words category. :mrgreen:
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

acthomas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 pm So the J! Archive has a wagering suggestion that doesn't agree with what happened, but I agree with the real one:
Jeff (5200): You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.
Rachel (10800): You'll want to wager $3,001, and you'll win the game if Player A wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Under the assumption that Rosie always bets to win, then an underbet like Rachel's, at most $399, is entirely logical.

So I guess my question is: is this a special situation that isn't yet covered in the Archive collection? Or just a math goof? And if the former, what shall we call it?
Looks like the wagering calc is programmed to suggest covering a $0 bet by the leader in three-quarters scenarios, without any regard for 3rd place. I have no idea if this is optimal, in either mathematical or 'real-world' terms (does the leader bet small often enough to be worth breaking the lock over 3rd? Does WWR happen that often?).
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

acthomas wrote: So the J! Archive has a wagering suggestion that doesn't agree with what happened, but I agree with the real one:

The 3,001 is to guard against a zero bet from Rosie, which is worth considering (to Rosie) because of the situation.
I think a better martian option for Rachel would be 4,799 since she would still have to get it correct to pass Rosie's standing score.
I recommended an 1,801 wager for Rosie, to counter the potential for Rachel betting intellegently.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W: 3, costing 2000
FJ: :(
Coryat: 12,200
LT: (Senate), pearly gates
DD: 1/3

I got off to a great start in the first 15, and it was very much down hill from there. Only answered 6 clues in the DJ round. After running the 3 letter words, my brain just wouldn't engage for the rhymes. Only managed one of them. Authors and Producers are hopeless topics for me, but I do know the 3 guys behind MGM, so managed that one.

FJ - wrote down Curie to have something on paper, even though I was pretty sure they (pick one - Marie or her husband) were around at the turn of the 20th century. Couldn't come up with anyone better. Had no idea Van Gogh lost his mind, or that he was alive then. Had him pegged as a century earlier. Oh well, more info to add to the mental records.

All in all, a horrible game for me once the introductions were over.
--Peter
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 pm
I ran Will Rogers pretty easily. Did they just happen to pick three players today who are clueless about him or has his humor passed from the main stage?
God, I hope not. He's one of the most fascinating people of the 20th century, and I want to recommend the Will Rogers Memorial Museum in Claremore, OK to EVERYONE. (At the moment, I'm using a Will Rogers souvenir drink coaster, such is my devotion.)

Congrats to Rachel on the great run. Her calm, positive vibe goes to show you don't have to go in like a heat-seeking missile to do well in the game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 pm I don't do the J6 clues, but I wonder if the extra Rogers clue was his about not belonging to an organized political party.
“The best doctor in the world is” one of these; “he can’t ask his patients what’s the matter. He’s just got to know”

What is a psychiatrist?
What is a veterinarian?
What is a surgeon?