Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

The show will have jumped the shark when you can phone a friend on DDs.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: What I don't know---and what perhaps some knowlegeable boardie can answer---is why Holly would get a star? I thought---perhaps incorrectly---that stars were for people famous in the film business: if not actors, then writers, producers, musicians who wrote for the movies like Mancini and John Williams. Either they give out those stars for other things as well or did Holly produce a lot of music used in movies? I know he was famous but (apart from a movie made about him) can't say why he's "Hollywood-famous." Anybody?
As mentioned previously, it's not limited to film. Film stars, though, do hold a lion's share of the allotment (nearly half).

Incidentally, file this one away for safe keeping: Gene Autry is the only person to get a star for all five categories. And yes, this means there are five individual stars with his name in the Walk. They're not 'cumulative.'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

OrangeSAM wrote:
John Boy wrote:What I don't know---and what perhaps some knowlegeable boardie can answer---is why Holly would get a star? I thought---perhaps incorrectly---that stars were for people famous in the film business: if not actors, then writers, producers, musicians who wrote for the movies like Mancini and John Williams. Either they give out those stars for other things as well or did Holly produce a lot of music used in movies? I know he was famous but (apart from a movie made about him) can't say why he's "Hollywood-famous." Anybody?
There are five basic categories of stars that can be awarded: motion pictures, television, music/audio recording, radio and theater/live performance. There are folks who have been awarded stars in multiple categories. Frank Sinatra - three stars (one more than I would have guessed). Ritchie Valens got a star in 1990. Ice-T, no star yet, so far as I can see.
Thanks for clarifying. Learned something today.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote:What I don't know---and what perhaps some knowlegeable boardie can answer---is why Holly would get a star?
John Boy wrote:why Holly would get a star?
John Boy wrote:Holly would
Seems pretty clear to me!
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was more surprised that Holly, who died in 1959 and was the subject of a biopic in 1978, got a star...in 2011. I know 75 is a nice round number, but what took so long?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote:I was more surprised that Holly, who died in 1959 and was the subject of a biopic in 1978, got a star...in 2011. I know 75 is a nice round number, but what took so long?
It takes a sponsor and $30,000 to get a star (well, at today's prices). It's never really been a "Hey! You did a good job!" It's "Hey, want to show people you do a good job? Better buy now! Supplies limited!"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Further proof as to the difficulty of the material lately, this was the highest cominbed Coryat since March 19. Since March 12, four weeks ago, this was also the highest combined Coryat, with only four other games (two just barely!) in that stretch breaking the $40,000 mark.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:It takes a sponsor and $30,000 to get a star (well, at today's prices). It's never really been a "Hey! You did a good job!" It's "Hey, want to show people you do a good job? Better buy now! Supplies limited!"
Or, in the case of someone like Buddy Holly, it's "Hey, corporation, want to get some publicity for one of the properties you own? Better buy now!" The fact that the star is in front of Capitol Records is telling.
Sage on the Hudson

Is the Popeil Catholic?

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

JFanForever wrote:23 right today. For the Black Hawk clue in the first round- does my response of "chopper" count instead of helicopter?
Often such distinctions are cut-and-dried; in this case it's a pretty close call, since you might be referring to a motorcycle or Ron Popeil's Chop-O-Matic.

DWS wrote:FJ had me all over the place. The widow's name rang no bells, I could not think of a Gary Busey connection, the year had me thinking of people who might have died recently, and Capitol Records pointed toward a musician. Even with more time I would not have come up with Buddy Holly.
I don't understand how anybody can have heard of Gary Busey and not know of the role that made him famous.

reddpen wrote:Socks also seemed like the answer they wanted... except how on earth do you get them over your shoes?
Easy -- buy an extra-large pair of socks specifically for pulling over your shoes.

stevo4212 wrote:I suppose anyone who watched "The Buddy Holly Story" would have known the FJ question immediately. But, why would Jeopardy expect its contestants
to have seen some movie from 1978?
For the same reason they expect contestants to know about some war that began in 218 BCE, or a ship that sank in 1912.

John Boy wrote:What I don't know---and what perhaps some knowlegeable boardie can answer---is why Holly would get a star? I thought---perhaps incorrectly---that stars were for people famous in the film business: if not actors, then writers, producers, musicians who wrote for the movies like Mancini and John Williams. Either they give out those stars for other things as well or did Holly produce a lot of music used in movies? I know he was famous but (apart from a movie made about him) can't say why he's "Hollywood-famous." Anybody?
Just go to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce's website

http://www.walkoffame.com/

and it'll tell you everything you want to know (except that it is, in my opinion, anyway, a somewhat tawdry form of "honor").

Volante wrote:Incidentally, file this one away for safe keeping: Gene Autry is the only person to get a star for all five categories. And yes, this means there are five individual stars with his name in the Walk. They're not 'cumulative.'
And if they ever give out stars on the Walk of Fame for "Local Baseball Team Owner," Autry'll get a sixth.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Is the Popeil Catholic?

Post by Creed Bratton »

[quote="Sage on the Hudson]
I don't understand how anybody can have heard of Gary Busey and not know of the role that made him famous.

[/quote]

You have obviously never watched any of the World's Dumbest on TruTV.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

gary busey is* one of probably hundreds of people about whom i know nothing other than "he's an actor".

* or at least was, until yesterday's show.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I could name several dozen actors whom I could not put to any particular work. (Some of their work I may have seen but not remembered, others I may never have seen) There are many others for whom I could name one or two roles (again whether or not I may have seen them).

Movies are generally not a stong point for me, but there is exactly one role that comes immediately to mind when I hear (or see) the name 'Gary Busey' and that is Buddy Holly. I have never seen the movie, and I think I have avoided it because I seem to remember controversy as to the accuracy of the 'facts' as portrayed in the movie &/or the portrayal by Mr. Busey. This Academy Award nomination is news to me (as awards are even less known to me than the movies that won, or were nominated for, them).

So, this might be a case of getting FJ! correct due to too litttle knowledge. But to me it was instaget.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I get The Buddy Holly Story and Great Balls of Fire mixed up. So mentioning the subject left a widow was very helpful, especially since I knew that Jerry Lee Lewis got married last week to his long time publicist.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jpahk wrote:gary busey is* one of probably hundreds of people about whom i know nothing other than "he's an actor".

* or at least was, until yesterday's show.
He does car dealership commercials now. Kia in particular. Cocaine's a helluva drug.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

bpmod wrote:.

Movies are generally not a stong point for me, but there is exactly one role that comes immediately to mind when I hear (or see) the name 'Gary Busey' and that is Buddy Holly. I have never seen the movie, and I think I have avoided it because I seem to remember controversy as to the accuracy of the 'facts' as portrayed in the movie &/or the portrayal by Mr. Busey. This Academy Award nomination is news to me (as awards are even less known to me than the movies that won, or were nominated for, them).
Brian
The worst mangling of the facts in the Buddy Holly movie was in the portrayal of his parents having issues with his career (so they could make Buddy look like a rebel) when the parents were actually supportive.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Volante wrote: As mentioned previously, it's not limited to film. Film stars, though, do hold a lion's share of the allotment (nearly half).

Incidentally, file this one away for safe keeping: Gene Autry is the only person to get a star for all five categories. And yes, this means there are five individual stars with his name in the Walk. They're not 'cumulative.'
Something that might come up, maybe in a TOM-filled FJ!? There are two stars with the same name, honoring different people. The name?
Spoiler
Harrison Ford
That one cost my pub quiz team a game once, so when in LA for taping, I made a point of finding both stars (as well as Alex Trebek's, which I touched for "good luck")
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Gary Busey's profession these days is acting crazy in reality shows. It's quite a popular vocation and can be quite lucrative. Pop quiz: Busey did a Western a couple years after the Buddy Holly Story. Who was the star (Busey was second billed) and for something really obscure, who was the director?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jpahk wrote:gary busey is* one of probably hundreds of people about whom i know nothing other than "he's an actor".
I didn't even know that much.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bomtr wrote: Pop quiz: Busey did a Western a couple years after the Buddy Holly Story. Who was the star (Busey was second billed) and for something really obscure, who was the director?
I remember the movie because I was surprised at the headliner (the title character) but I do not remember the director.
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

Turd Ferguson wrote: Something that might come up, maybe in a TOM-filled FJ!? There are two stars with the same name, honoring different people. The name?
Spoiler
Harrison Ford
That one cost my pub quiz team a game once, so when in LA for taping, I made a point of finding both stars (as well as Alex Trebek's, which I touched for "good luck")
I believe
Spoiler
Michael Jackson
also works for this hypothetical clue, as I believe it was reported that many people were congregating at the "wrong" star upon the more notorious individual's death.

Edit: See here.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.