Friday, January 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7685, 2018-01-26

Rachel Lindgren game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Melissa Stewart, a baker and barista from Spokane, Washington
Jennifer Tomassi, a freelance writer from Los Angeles, California
Rachel Lindgren, a fire lookout from Bend, Oregon (whose 5-day cash winnings total $75,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi. I'm just as happy to be here as Jennifer is. Doesn't matter how I do it, just so long as I get it done. Those are the bywords for Rachel this week. She's won every game on our program this week, even when she didn't come up with the correct response in Final Jeopardy! Good advice for Jennifer and Melissa. Ladies, let's go to work. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CAUTIONARY TRAILS (5/5)
DURING THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY (2/5)
SIMILES IF YOU PLEASE (5/5)
TV SHOWS BY WORKPLACE (4/5)
THE FABRICS OF OUR LIVES (4/5)
THE THING'S THE PLAY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jennifer: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rachel: 7 R, 2 W
Melissa: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Rachel had $2,800, Jennifer had $3,200, and Melissa had nothing in the bank. Jennifer wagered $1,000.

THE THING'S THE PLAY $600: Literally, this Arthur Miller title is a clay melting pot

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jennifer: $4,200
Rachel: $2,800
Melissa: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Melissa Stewart wouldn't be here as a contestant if she were not a fan of our program, but you also have a daughter who's a fan.

Melissa: I do, yes.

Alex: How old is she?

Melissa: My daughter, Frances, is 3. I was actually pregnant with her during one of my auditions, and she knows that Jeopardy! is Mommy's quiet time, except for during the Final Jeopardy! theme, which she likes to do a little dance.

Alex: Oh, good for you. That's great. Maybe a future Jeopardy! contestant in the family there.

Melissa: Hopefully.

Alex: Jennifer Tomassi from Los Angeles. A freelance writer who is into martial arts activities. Tell me about it.

Jennifer: Yes. My husband and I are both yellow belts in krav maga.

Alex: What's special about that?

Jennifer: You learn to protect yourself. The first thing you learn is a groin kick.

[Laughter as Alex backs away]

Alex: Rachel Lindgren. Met your boyfriend on your first day of a summer job?

Rachel: Yeah, so it was the very first day of work, and we all had to meet up to do paperwork and stuff. And he later told me that he saw that--I was wearing sandals, and he saw that my feet were dirty, and he was like, "Yeah, she's the one."

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV SHOWS BY WORKPLACE $800: The WJM-TV newsroom

THE FABRICS OF OUR LIVES $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from Old Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts.) For the ladies, 19th century New England stores, like in Old Sturbridge Village, had to stock the latest in this fabric named for a large Indian city; the fabric would vary between darker & lighter colors & busier & plainer prints

DURING THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY $1000: In 2011 Utah became the first state with an official this, a Browning; the bill's sponsor said it captures part of Utah's history

DURING THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY $400: In 2010 this group released a trove of 250,000 classified diplomatic cables
(Jennifer: What is the CIA?)
(Melissa: What is Anonymous?)
(Rachel: What is the NSA?)

DURING THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY $200: March 2016 saw Obama become the first sitting U.S. president in 80 years to visit this nation

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jennifer: $6,600
Melissa: $3,800
Rachel: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CREDITORS & PREY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE (2/5)
RIVERS (4/5)
SWORD CINEMA (4/5)
CHARACTERS IN MYTH (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ENDS WITH "Z" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Melissa: 7 R, 0 W
Rachel: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rachel snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Rachel had $3,800, Jennifer had $7,000, and Melissa was at $3,800. Rachel wagered $1,000.

CHARACTERS IN MYTH $1200: Cupid's lover, she loses Cupid for a time after disobeying his request to not seek his identity
(Alex: Say something.)
(Rachel: I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jennifer who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Rachel had $9,600, Jennifer had $10,600, and Melissa was at $10,200. Jennifer wagered $1,000.

CREDITORS & PREY $1600: Aristotle & Cato the Elder opposed this 5-letter practice characterized by high lending rates
(Alex: Jennifer?)
(Jennifer: What is gouge?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHARACTERS IN MYTH $2000: These 2 Greek buddies were so faithful to each other one volunteered to die in the other's place

SWORD CINEMA $2000: Cryptic inscriptions are etch on the Atlantean sword used by this film character out of pulp stories

ENDS WITH "Z" $1600: The name of this type of brandy is from a Croatian word for plum
(Rachel: What is schlitz?)

RIVERS $800: Here's the famed Lorelei rock in this European river

VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE $800: In 1901 Queen Victoria died at Osborne House, built to royal specifications on this isle

VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE $1200: Home to the houses of Parliament, this palace was rebuilt in Gothic revival style after an earlier building burned in 1834

VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE $2000: You can see why an 1892 building at the University of Liverpool inspired this term for a university other than Oxford or Cambridge

CREDITORS & PREY $1200: "Negative" this, from the Latin for "death", happens when a monthly loan installment can't even cover the interest

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jennifer: $11,600
Melissa: $10,200
Rachel: $9,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S LIT

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Jennifer: Wager $8,801 to cover Melissa.
Melissa: You ought to wager to cover Rachel, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $10,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,000 (to shut out Rachel) or less than $7,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Rachel). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Jennifer.
Rachel: You ought to try wagering between $601 and $6,800. This will top a $0 wager by Melissa while still beating Jennifer and Melissa on the Triple Stumper (should Jennifer wager to cover Melissa's doubled score and Melissa wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Introduced in 1945, she claimed to have the middle names Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Efraim's Daughter

FINAL SCORES
Rachel: $9,600 - $9,500 = $100 (Who is Amelia Bedelia? :)) (3rd place: $1,000)
Melissa: $10,200 - $10,000 = $200 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jennifer: $11,600 + $8,801 = $20,401 (Who is Pippi Longstock-ing) (New champion: $20,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jennifer: $12,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Rachel: $10,600, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Melissa: $10,200, 12 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $33,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jennifer: 20/60 = .333
Rachel: 14/59 = .237
Melissa: 12/58 = .207
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CAUTIONARY TRAILS $200: The Canadian sign here warns of caribou, the same species as this animal

CAUTIONARY TRAILS $400: Three monosyllables make up the caution represented here, asking you to be mindful

CAUTIONARY TRAILS $600: Bon Jovi could help you with this sign, also the title of their hit album from 1986

CAUTIONARY TRAILS $800: Your trail may lead you to the sea, so a warning to be mindful of these invertebrates

CAUTIONARY TRAILS $1000: Norway is home to the sign here, warning of this mythic creature--perhaps there's a bridge up ahead

THE FABRICS OF OUR LIVES $200: We'd be only tutu happy for you to name this netted tutu fabric seen here

THE FABRICS OF OUR LIVES $800: Pashmina is a type of this downy wool that comes from certain goats
(Rachel: What is angora?)

THE FABRICS OF OUR LIVES $1000: Bleeding of this plaid cotton fabric is sometimes considered an asset

SIMILES IF YOU PLEASE $600: It's what Forrest Gump's mama always said
(Rachel: [In a Southern accent] What is [*]?)
(Alex: [In a Southern accent] Oh, and I love the accent. It is so fine. So fine.)

SIMILES IF YOU PLEASE $1000: This simile thought to relate to deranged milliners may originally have been about a type of snake
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

CHARACTERS IN MYTH $800: After overthrowing the rulers of the universe, Zeus forces this one into a new job as punishment

VICTORIAN ARCHITECTURE $400: A memorial to Victoria's late husband, this venue opened in 1871 & is a leading live music performance space

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Crucible
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
calico
a gun
Wikileaks
Cuba
Psyche
usury
Damon and Pythias
Conan the Barbarian
slivovitz
the Rhine
the Isle of Wight
the Palace of Westminster
red brick universities
negative amortization
Pippi Longstocking
reindeer
men at work
slippery when wet
jellyfish
a troll
tulle
cashmere
madras
"Life is like a box of chocolates"
mad as a hatter
Atlas
the Royal Albert Hall
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN’S LIT

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Introduced in 1945, she claimed to have the middle names Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Efraim’s Daughter

Rachel Lindgren: 9600-9500=100
Jennifer Tomassi: 11600+8801=20401 (New Champ)
Melissa Stewart: 10200-10000=200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pippi Longstocking (Rachel – Amelia Bedelia) (Melissa – Who is?)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 3200+1000
Rachel: 3800-1000
Jennifer: 10600-1000

Coryats
Rachel: 10600
Jennifer: 12200
Melissa: 10200

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rachel: 3000
Jennifer: 6600
Melissa: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TV SHOWS BY WORKPLACE $800: The WJM-TV newsroom

The clue was a TS and of course Alex had to add, “Ah, it’s before your time.”

The first segment ended at 14 clues for a rare time and Melissa had yet to be heard from at that point.

Jennifer played DD3 with a lead of 10600 against 10200 & 9600 with a $2000 clue remaining. She bet 1000 and missed to drop herself out of the lead. Jennifer got the last clue to regain the lead. In this game and with that FJ! clue how it played out none of it mattered. A different shuffle of the deck and it could have been a key point.

The FJ! clue stopped my streak at 7 right in what should have been a good category for me. Instead the writers threw me a curve with something I’ve never read. I’ve seen parts of a movie or two, but not enough to help with recognizing the middle names. I can't complain that the clue needed more since Jennifer solved it as is.

I matched Rachel’s response as I made a connection in remembering the character drawing the drapes to “Windowshade” in the clue’s wording. Nothing in the category or clue gave me the instinct to cross the Atlantic as Efraim is not enough for me to think of something not U.S.

Jennifer did Rachel a favor in solving the clue as even if Rachel solved it she still would have lost. Otherwise the embarrassment of having the same last name of the author of the wanted character and still missing the clue would have been even greater.

Rachel leaves with:
12,500 Coryat average
2/6 on FJ! clues
3/6 on DDs
1+1+1+1+2+3 for position entering the FJ! round
That would be clearly Bronze except that first game against Lee stands out for Rachel’s potential to have a good game against strong competition.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Went with Charlotte ('s Web). "Daughter" was the key word here I think. At the podium, I'd have bet daringly from the category and been flushed out.

I'll have this one to ask the wife when I get home. It was one of her favorite movies as a kid, so I wonder if it's in there.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No chance on FJ, guessed Matilda. Is she even a book character or am I imagining things?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:31 pm No chance on FJ, guessed Matilda. Is she even a book character or am I imagining things?
She is but you're off by about 40 years (Matilda published in 1988).

I think this is a tougher FJ than it seems. I thought the year and list of ridiculous middle names pointed to just one character who lives in Villa Villekulla, but it's basically testing long term memories about some pretty specific details. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Eloise guesses here - or Madeline. Among others.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:39 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:31 pm No chance on FJ, guessed Matilda. Is she even a book character or am I imagining things?

I think this is a tougher FJ than it seems. I thought the year and list of ridiculous middle names pointed to just one character who lives in Villa Villekulla, but it's basically testing long term memories about some pretty specific details. I wouldn't be surprised to see some Eloise guesses here - or Madeline. Among others.
Madeleine was my totally wild guess.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Congrats to Rachel for the Forrest Gump voice and the sandal anecdote that's still making me chuckle. Buy out the Teva store!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

theFJguy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm
Rhonda at Fikkle Fame noticed this coincidence. Heck of an author to get tripped up by.

ETA: Oh, I see that's been covered. Carry on.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 pm
theFJguy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm
Rhonda at Fikkle Fame noticed this coincidence. Heck of an author to get tripped up by.

ETA: Oh, I see that's been covered. Carry on.
How did Alex miss that?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had no idea Matilda was written so recently, or even that Dahl was still alive then.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Sign category.

Had no idea that tutus were made of tulle. That was a category I was doomed to bomb in, being a male.

"Hungry Like the Wolf" seemed obscure for $200, and was my only miss in the category.

The Obama category was tough. Things like Cuba, Wikileaks, and Sotomayor seem to fall into that gap that a lot of "recent history" clues do: they're too recent to be immediately recalled, but not yet historical enough to seem to warrant memorization.

Can't say I've heard of "golden fleece" or Royal Albert Hall.

There was a Wonder Woman movie last year?!? I at least recognized the other four films, but couldn't pull any of them in time.

None of the words in FJ! led me anywhere. I expect this to poll super-low.

Lach Trash: Mary Tyler Moore Show, red brick
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I was going to bitch about A Doll House being accepted, but apparently it's also translated as that, so ...

Pippi was my SWAG -- I'll take it.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Another mediocre game for me. Right answers on the low side, but the misses were brutal. Too many wrong answers in the bottom rows in the DJ! round killed my score.

R: 23, W: 7 costing 8200
FJ: :(
Coryat: 8400 :oops:
DD: 2/3
LT: wikileaks, gun, amortization, (usury)

Managed to pick up two of the plays in the J! round - not from knowing them but from the generosity of the writers. Smiled at seeing Ibsen show up, since he's been a topic of conversation here lately. Didn't get the clue, though.

I had no idea on FJ, so started running through possibilities: Mary Poppins - no, written in the early 1900s. Alice in Wonderland - no, written in the 1800s. How about Madeline? I think that's from the mid-1900s and time is running out. So let's try that. (Post-game research shows the first Madeline was released in 1939, so the date wasn't far off at all.) Pippi never crossed my mind.

Jennifer certainly had a good day today and earned the win. It will be interesting to see if she can hang on next week.
--Peter
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I guessed Eloise, apparently 1950's. Madeline first appeared in 1939, both close enough in time not to be able to automatically rule out. It's probably 45 years since I read Pippi Longstocking, so that was no help. I'm glad the Lindgren thing was pointed out--that's kind of hilarious.
econgator wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 pm I was going to bitch about A Doll House being accepted, but apparently it's also translated as that, so ...
Same here--I wasn't aware of other translations, but the clue didn't ask for an exact title, and the item is a dollhouse. I'm glad they decided ahead of time and (apparently) put both possibilities on the card.

I liked all three players in today's game. Looking forward to seeing Jennifer next week.
hscer

Post by hscer »

I've never NHO'ed harder than on tonight's Final.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 pm There was a Wonder Woman movie last year?!? I at least recognized the other four films, but couldn't pull any of them in time.
You use the internet on a daily basis and never came across a single reference to the 2017 Wonder Woman film?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Trails (3), Obama (5), Similes (3), TV (3), Fabrics (0), Play (5)
Creditors (0), Victorian (3), Rivers (4), Sword (3), Myth (1), Ends with "Z" (1)

Lach Trash: state gun, Wikileaks, Cuba, Rhine, Isle of Wight

I considered Amelia Bedelia, but settled on Pippi Longstocking as a total guess near the end of the 30 seconds.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 pm There was a Wonder Woman movie last year?!? I at least recognized the other four films, but couldn't pull any of them in time.
You use the internet on a daily basis and never came across a single reference to the 2017 Wonder Woman film?
If I did, then I didn't internalize it, because I have negative amounts of interest in anything of that sort.