2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm A mummy found in Basil, Switzerland has been identified and found to have a famous descendant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42805485
Scientists in the Swiss city of Basel have solved a decades-old mystery over the identity of a mummified woman.

Their research revealed a surprise: the woman is the great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother of UK Foreign Secretary [also former London mayor] Boris Johnson.
Now the scientists and the historians were sure: the mummy was none other than Anna Catharina Bischoff. Born in Basel in 1719, she died there in 1787.
Boris looks like a zombie, so mummy ancestry shouldn’t be much of a surprise.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark won the Australian Open tennis tournament, 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 6-4, over Simona Halep of Romania. It's the first Grand Slam title for Wozniacki and also the first Slam for any player from Denmark.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Roger Federer def. Marin Cilic 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 to win the Australian Open. It's his 6th Aussie title (tied for most all-time), and he's the first male to 20 career Grand Slam titles. He's also the second-oldest Grand Slam title winner at age 36, so Margaret Court's record of 24 Slam titles is probably safe from the men's side.

Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA, dies at 91.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:25 am Roger Federer def. Marin Cilic 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 to win the Australian Open. It's his 6th Aussie title (tied for most all-time), and he's the first male to 20 career Grand Slam titles.
I remember watching the 2008 Wimbledon final, when Nadal finally got the best of Federer in the twilight. All of the reactions from that match mentioned it was the ascension of Rafael Nadal to the top of the tennis world (that was right), and the beginning of Roger Federer’s inevitable decline (couldn’t have been more wrong).

It’s been a decade since that match, and absolutely nothing has changed between them. It’s incomprehensible.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mort Walker, creator of Beetle Bailey, has died st the age of 94.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:25 am Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA, dies at 91.
Not only the founder, he's also the 'IK' in IKEA.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:31 am Mort Walker, creator of Beetle Bailey, has died st the age of 94.
Beetle Bailey was so successful that Walker created a spin-off comic, "Hi and Lois", in 1954, with Dik Browne as co-creator. Browne also created "Hagar the Horrible", which I believe has come up in Jeopardy.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Did not know Keurig had that much loose change...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-dr-p ... SKBN1FI1II
(Reuters) - Keurig Green Mountain Inc will buy soda maker Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc (DPS.N) in a deal worth more than $21 billion, bringing the world’s biggest single-serve coffee brand K-Cup and beverages such as 7UP, Snapple and Sunkist under one roof.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Have to include the highbrow stuff:

Celebrity Big Brother cast:
Real Housewife of Beverly Hills Brandi Glanville
Apprenticevillain/former White House aid Omarosa Manigault
American Pie actress Shannon Elizabeth
Sugar Ray frontman Mark McGrath
TV personality Ross Mathews
former NBA star Metta World Peace
Cosby Show alum Keshia Knight Pulliam
Big Time Rush's James Maslow
Miss Columbia from Miss Universe 2015 Ariadna Gutierrez
Hairspray star Marissa Janet Winokur
former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

At Sunday night's Grammy Awards, Bruno Mars won Song of the Year with “That’s What I Like,” and won Record of the Year and Album of the Year for 24K Magic. Kendrick Lamar won Best Rap Album, Best Rap Performance, Best Rap/Sung Performance, and Best Rap Song.
Link to the complete list of Grammy winners: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/28/1694 ... rd-winners

The Oxford English Dictionary added more than 1,000 words, including "hangry" (which came up on Jeopardy last November), "mansplaining", "me time", and "snowflake". The next update will take place in April. There are more than 800,000 words in the OED.

In sports news:

The Cleveland Indians will retire their Chief Wahoo logo after this season.

Former mixed martial arts champion Ronda Rousey has left UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) and joined WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment).
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Volante

Post by Volante »

In continuing the trend of giving Miami pro sports franchises to retired players, David Beckham finally has his MLS team.
“Additional news and information on the club – including its debut season in MLS, team name, logo and staff – will be announced in the future,” the league said in a statement.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-socc ... SKBN1FI1W8
boyjenius

Post by boyjenius »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 pm While we're on the topic of elected officials giving birth, Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Washington) has given birth to the most children (three) while a member of Congress. It is believed that in 1973, Yvonne Braithwaite Burke (D-California) was the first member to give birth while a member of that chamber.

Blanche Lincoln (D-Arkansas) was the first U.S. Senator to give birth while in office. Tammy Duckworth (D-Illinois) was the second.
I'm not sure where you got your info but I believe Tammy Duckworth is GOING to be the FIRST Senator to give birth in office, hasn't had the baby yet. Another interesting note, she is a double amputee veteran with prostethic legs
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

boyjenius wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:18 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 pm While we're on the topic of elected officials giving birth, Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Washington) has given birth to the most children (three) while a member of Congress. It is believed that in 1973, Yvonne Braithwaite Burke (D-California) was the first member to give birth while a member of that chamber.

Blanche Lincoln (D-Arkansas) was the first U.S. Senator to give birth while in office. Tammy Duckworth (D-Illinois) was the second.
I'm not sure where you got your info but I believe Tammy Duckworth is GOING to be the FIRST Senator to give birth in office, hasn't had the baby yet. Another interesting note, she is a double amputee veteran with prostethic legs
You're right: I misread a story about Lincoln. She decided against seeking re-election to the House in 1996 because she was pregnant with twins. Two years later, Lincoln ran for the Senate and won: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/washi ... gnant.html

I went back and corrected my erroneous post.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:09 pm Tuesday, January 30th is the State of the Union with the Democratic response given by: TBD

That also means J! won't be airing at 7 in the West. I would not bet on a full airing by 7:30 either PT.
Joseph Patrick Kennedy III (representative from Massachusetts) will give the response. He is the grandson of Robert F. Kennedy and son of Joseph P. Kennedy II. He attended both Stanford and Harvard.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

In other family news, Chris Kennedy, son of Robert F., has joined the Illinois Governor's race.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:47 pm In other family news, Chris Kennedy, son of Robert F., has joined the Illinois Governor's race.
From January 16th in the Chicago Tribune:

Democratic governor contender Chris Kennedy abruptly left a candidate forum Monday, criticizing Republican candidate Jeanne Ives for what he called “ignorance and stupidity” after she said Chicago’s gun violence could be solved if more fathers stayed in the home.

The controversy came when Ives, a three-term conservative lawmaker from Wheaton who is challenging Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner, responded to a question on curbing gun crimes.

“The problem is the gun violence in this city of Chicago, predominantly. And you know how you’re going to solve it? Fathers in the home,” she said.

As the audience booed and shouted, she repeated, “Fathers in the home.”

Kennedy later got his turn to respond.

“Well, I wish I could agree with you. I didn’t have a father in my life. Somebody shot him,” Kennedy, the son of the assassinated former U.S. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, said to Ives before he left the forum amid applause and a standing ovation from hundreds of attendees.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Yeah, the mic drop to end all mic drops.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:31 am Mort Walker, creator of Beetle Bailey, has died st the age of 94.
If you like trivia (it's a niche hobby, so had ask), you may not know that Beetle Bailey started out as a "life in college" strip. Then, when the Korean War started (in reality) Walker decided to move the strip to be military based and Beetle and his friends in college joined the army. And, like other pop culture icons that were inspired by the Korean War, Beetle's stint in the army lasted much longer than the Korean War itself.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm
If you like trivia (it's a niche hobby, so had ask), you may not know that Beetle Bailey started out as a "life in college" strip. Then, when the Korean War started (in reality) Walker decided to move the strip to be military based and Beetle and his friends in college joined the army. And, like other pop culture icons that were inspired by the Korean War, Beetle's stint in the army lasted much longer than the Korean War itself.
Mort Walker was stationed in Camp Crowder in Neosho Missouri and the name Camp Swampy was based on the muddy conditions there. Another trivia nugget - for some unknown reason Miss Buxley always appears in the Wednesday daily.
alietr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm
Spoiler
Republican candidate Jeanne Ives ....

“The problem is the gun violence in this city of Chicago, predominantly. And you know how you’re going to solve it? Fathers in the home,” she said.
Just practicing, O mighty moderator - maybe we ought to spoiler the dog whistles. Closet racists may be lurking...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm
Beetle's stint in the army lasted much longer than the Korean War itself.
So did some obscure TV show about the Korean War...took place in a MASH unit I believe...
Total game show career losings = $171,522