J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:33 pm

AFRET CMS wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm
In today's Sunday newspapers:

http://comicskingdom.com/sally-forth
But "POP" is in quotation marks, so it would be a category that would contain those three letters somewhere in the word.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5536
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by seaborgium » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:33 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm
In today's Sunday newspapers:

http://comicskingdom.com/sally-forth
But "POP" is in quotation marks, so it would be a category that would contain those three letters somewhere in the word.
Even if it weren't in quotation marks, why would one assume that it was a category about sodas? (The answer to this question, and the one you didn't ask, is "Ted Forth, that's why.")

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: J! in the Media

Post by twelvefootboy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:25 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:33 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm
In today's Sunday newspapers:

http://comicskingdom.com/sally-forth
But "POP" is in quotation marks, so it would be a category that would contain those three letters somewhere in the word.
Even if it weren't in quotation marks, why would one assume that it was a category about sodas? (The answer to this question, and the one you didn't ask, is "Ted Forth, that's why.")
Francesco is one of my favorite comics writers and I follow his blog : http://medium-large.com/

I wish Sally Forth was carried by more papers and all of the zombie strips (meaning the creator is dead) would just go away and make room for young artists. I missed the triple entendre of the category when I looked at the link - but that is just pitch perfect for the character :)

(edited when I figured out the triple entendre, lol)
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5536
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by seaborgium » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 pm

There is a zombie strip quality to Sally Forth, though. It was created by Greg Howard in the '80s, who I think was a former lawyer, and he got burned out drawing it, so the syndicate brought Craig MacIntosh in to do the art while Howard continued writing it. And sometime in the '90s Howard left the strip entirely, and the comic stayed cookie-cutter and uninteresting for years until Francesco Marciuliano came in [edit: apparently Marciuliano came in right as Howard left, but I guess he didn't have free rein to develop the Forths for a while] and turned Ted into a ridiculous pop culture nut and rebuilt the characters' relationships beyond talking heads that only served to satisfy the necessity for jokes to be in dialogue format. And now I'm going to look up the strip's history to make sure I'm getting it right.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by trainman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 am

Link in earlier posts only worked the day the strip was published. Image was also posted in the "Retaken Down" thread, but I'll add it here for posterity.

Image

User avatar
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: J! in the Media

Post by zerobandwidth » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 am

Last night's 0/5 in the football category was the quick, silly story leading into the 07:30 news on NPR's Morning Edition today.

Why couldn't that category have been in my game? :cry:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: J! in the Media

Post by squarekara » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 am

zerobandwidth wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 am
Last night's 0/5 in the football category was the quick, silly story leading into the 07:30 news on NPR's Morning Edition today.

Why couldn't that category have been in my game? :cry:
My local TV news anchors were snickering over this today too.

Lore
Valued Contributor
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:27 am
Location: What is the capital of Manitoba?

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Lore » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 pm

The Jeopardy twitter account threw some major shade today:
https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/959267654438547456

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: J! in the Media

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:15 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:58 pm
There is a zombie strip quality to Sally Forth, though. It was created by Greg Howard in the '80s, who I think was a former lawyer, and he got burned out drawing it, so the syndicate brought Craig MacIntosh in to do the art while Howard continued writing it. And sometime in the '90s Howard left the strip entirely, and the comic stayed cookie-cutter and uninteresting for years until Francesco Marciuliano came in [edit: apparently Marciuliano came in right as Howard left, but I guess he didn't have free rein to develop the Forths for a while] and turned Ted into a ridiculous pop culture nut and rebuilt the characters' relationships beyond talking heads that only served to satisfy the necessity for jokes to be in dialogue format. And now I'm going to look up the strip's history to make sure I'm getting it right.
You are spot on. I've given it a pass because of the re-invention by Francesco so I consider him to be a new artist. I can't even relate to the idea of creating material and outsourcing it but I have no right brain. Sally Forth is getting a little formulaic even at that, but at least it's kind of original material. Our local paper only has space for about 15 strips, so all those bloated family owned zombie strips push out any new artists. When they try to drop one, the nonagenarians revolt but they could just look at yesterday's paper and be just as happy :roll: .
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 989
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by immaf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm

The contestants going 0/5 in the "Talking Football" category was mentioned on the NBC Nightly News tonight.
Teems with quiet fun.

User avatar
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 392
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: J! in the Media

Post by CailinGaoilge » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:22 pm

immaf wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm
The contestants going 0/5 in the "Talking Football" category was mentioned on the NBC Nightly News tonight.
And it's been on the top half of the front page of the CNN website for days:
'Jeopardy!' football clues stump contestants

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by morbeedo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:25 am

coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: J! in the Media

Post by dhkendall » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 pm

I'll even forgive the hackneyed question-answer cliche that everyone does when writing about Jeopardy! to nitpick at something new:
Dean Balsamini for the New York Post wrote:A. This New Yorker left a dozen “Jeopardy!” opponents crying in their beer.
Ummm, for a 12-game winner, you have to double that number, dude. (And of course that's just counting his regular run wins, which I am assuming you are.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:32 pm
Location: London, Canada

Re: J! in the Media

Post by rouquinne » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 am

The Weather Channel is throwing shade at last night's contestants on Twitter this morning.

I was shouting the answer at the TV so loud, I was *sure* someone would get it! ;)

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8222
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:43 pm

I received a tip by PM from another Archivist.

Does Amazon count as media?






User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 838
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by georgespelvin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 am

I vote that Amazon is merchandise, not media.

User avatar
RobW
Hoping for a 2018 ToC!
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: J! in the Media

Post by RobW » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm

noted in my hometown paper

(well it’s near my hometown, anyway... the mailing address was Dayton OH)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman

squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: J! in the Media

Post by squarekara » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm

RobW wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm
noted in my hometown paper

(well it’s near my hometown, anyway... the mailing address was Dayton OH)
Hey, Retro Luck to you!

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: J! in the Media

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 pm

RobW wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm
noted in my hometown paper

(well it’s near my hometown, anyway... the mailing address was Dayton OH)
Best of retroactive luck from a Beavercreek resident.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8222
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 pm

I finally got around to doing some fact checking for the 2/6/18 episode of Fresh Off the Boat.

The episode takes place in 1998 with a mention of it being Year of the Tiger. Fine, so far. A cover of TV Guide is shown with the Crane brothers and "Frasier's Edge." Okay.

Jeopardy! is being watched and three clues are shown. Thanks to the Archive it was easy to find them. In 2005, 2007 and 2016. Busted! I have made a notation under each of those clues about the appearance in the TV show.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Caboom, clt013, Patriotrqi, Volante and 35 guests