Monday, January 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Monday, January 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

I woulda lost money on a side bet that someone would guess "American Flag" for FJ, Jennifer correcting herself in time.
Am I the only one who thinks Ryan shouldn't have gotten those reversals?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

36 R
DD: 1/3 (Orpheus)
FJ: :(
LT: Treaty of Paris, Akita, Lindsey Vonn, North Carolina, Ice Storm, 1Q84

Ran 3 letter words last week. Ran 2 letter words today.
Douglas Squasoni
PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

I miss Rachel.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

acthomas wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:03 pm Did any other fellow Canadians totally eat it on this FJ? Had forgotten that burning the draft card was a thing, knew flag was too obvious (and the "altering" didn't make sense in that context) and left grasping for options.

Wish that if I were at a podium I could have had the guts to say "grilled cheese sandwich" if "flag" wasn't also a good enough guess.
This immigrant Canadian got it within a couple of seconds - knew it had to be Vietnam-related, dismissed flag because altering it made no sense, and immediately thought of the draft. Said "draft papers", though, not "draft card" as I didn't know that was a thing.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:47 pm I woulda lost money on a side bet that someone would guess "American Flag" for FJ, Jennifer correcting herself in time.
What was inaccurate about "open marriage"?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:47 pm I woulda lost money on a side bet that someone would guess "American Flag" for FJ
Same.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
davey

Post by davey »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:47 pm I woulda lost money on a side bet that someone would guess "American Flag" for FJ, Jennifer correcting herself in time.
What was inaccurate about "open marriage"?
Yes, it's not hard to find references to Wells' "open marriage." On the other hand, it's not hard to find explanations of the difference between the Italian greyhound and the whippet. I guess the judges decided they are so close it's not fair to ask someone to tell them apart with a picture...

Like others here, I came nowhere near a draft card in life or on tonight's show. I thought the 2 responses were the flag and the cross, though neither one quite makes sense... :roll: I stayed with the former. I would more likely have thought of "bra" than "draft card," I think, though I'm familiar with the phenomenon...
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

davey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm On the other hand, it's not hard to find explanations of the difference between the Italian greyhound and the whippet. I guess the judges decided they are so close it's not fair to ask someone to tell them apart with a picture...
As long as an Italian greyhound is at all similar to an English greyhound, but smaller, it fit the clue. It's really that simple, and I have no veritable clue why so many people on Facebook and Twitter are mad about this.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

davey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm Like others here, I came nowhere near a draft card in life or on tonight's show. I thought the 2 responses were the flag and the cross, though neither one quite makes sense... :roll: I stayed with the former. I would more likely have thought of "bra" than "draft card," I think, though I'm familiar with the phenomenon...
I jumped from flag to bra and thought "oh yeah that's probably it, the J! writers have been cheeky lately" and never even considered draft cards.

The J! round board was incredibly tough — harder than the DJ! board, which is supposed to be the more difficult of the two — and with all of Alex's "helpful" prodding it seemed like the whole panel was on the edge between recovery and panic. Ryan's $2800 reversal at the start of DJ! definitely seems to have jumpstarted him and was just one more unexpected hit to the ladies' morale.

The Shiba Inu guess for a Japanese dog breed was a decent one, given the continued virality of the "doge" meme, but it was still a guess, and continued the first round's trend of ignoring the sage advice, "STAY CLAM". (And I realize I say that as someone who would have been well served to heed that advice more myself.)
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:30 pm Yes, I had two although both were wrong as I crossed out dollar bill and wrote U.S. Flag.
And I did the opposite.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I know a couple of men who still carry their draft cards with them on the grounds that they were told at issuance to carry them with them at all times. And they never not got a notice that they didn't need to carry them anymore. Even after I pointed out that there's a page on The Selective Service System web page that says there is no longer any requirement to carry draft cards, they still carry them.

Me, I think they carry as a reaction to the unrest of the 1960s in which draft cards were major object and they are continuing to carry theirs despite the fact that they know that the draft was abolished in 1973. Is virtue signaling.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I never thought of anything besides money and flags.

Patience and Fortitude was amusing to me, as HQ had a question about the NYPL lions tonight (and undid me with it).
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i don't carry my draft card. i don't carry my long-expired military i.d. card. i don't carry my DD-214.
but i do carry my veterans' i.d. card issued by my local municipality (upon presentation of my DD-214), because now and then local merchants will give discounts to vets.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The thought that it is illegal to alter or burn a bra is pretty damned funny. :)

For some reason this FJ took a long time for me to digest. At first I was thinking "well, it's not the flag" but couldn't think what it could be. I finally put the pieces together and got my answer written a second or two before the music ended, thus keeping my FJ streak alive at 12!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

History (5), Olympics (2), French (0), Myth"o"logy (3), Dog (2), H.G. Wells (3)
Sons (4), Pairs (1), Ballet (1), Freeze (2), Japanese Authors (2), 2-Letter Words (4)

Lach Trash: Texas School Book Depository, Treaty of Paris, Akita, North Carolina; Daily Doubles: Hannibal, Princess Grace

I went with the U.S. flag right away and never considered draft cards.

I was interested about who cast the nay vote, and it was Rep. Henry P. Smith (R-NY). To quote an UPI article on the bill:

"Smith, a former member of his local draft board for almost 15 years, said he agreed with the aims of the legislation but felt that the penalties were too severe."

The penalties in question were 5 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What a train wreck! Hard to watch and hard to look away. But they all handled it with class, and Alex kept a positive spin and attitude for them.

I'm not used to so much serial guessing - this is a case where losing the buzzer war is an edge. Strong recovery from Ryan. Jennifer made the DD's irrelevant and just didn't elevate to the Rachel-beating game.

I made the correct choice in FJ mostly because of the 393-1 vote to keep America Great Again and the "altering" TOM. (edit - delete snarky comment) . I am surprised it was a triple get, especially from the younger two. I understand that our younger boardies and Canucks should struggle with this one. An interesting outtake on the legislative debate:
Spoiler
Mr. Bray: "The need of this legislation is clear. Beatniks and so-called ‘campus-cults' have been publicly burning their draft cards to demonstrate their contempt for the United States and our resistance to Communist takeovers.... Just yesterday such a mob attacking the United States and praising the Vietcong attempted to march on the Capitol but were prevented by the police from forcibly moving into our Chambers. They were led by a Yale University professor. They were generally a filthy, sleazy beatnik gang; but the question which they pose to America is quite serious... This proposed legislation to make it illegal to knowingly destroy or mutilate a draft card is only one step in bringing some legal control over those who would destroy American freedom."
C'mon, Andy - Let Barney have an extra bullet when you go to that state meeting in Raleigh, Pennsylvania :roll: And watch out for Beatniks!
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pm Patience and Fortitude was amusing to me, as HQ had a question about the NYPL lions tonight (and undid me with it).
I got this on HQ ONLY because I saw it on Jeopardy! some 4 hours earlier in central time. My hometown public library only has a garbage can and an ashtray flanking the entrance doors. I suppose I'll have to name them now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Why was it a crime? If you got drafted the card being burned didn’t stop that.

I registered when I turned 18 but don’t recall being told I had to keep the card.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

"Japanese Literature" was as easy as I expected it to be, with the first 3 clues requiring no knowledge of literature, and the last one, a triple stumper, being a gimme which practically gives you the title of the very famous work. I thought "Dog Breeds" was harder, though; got the Akita Triple Stumper, but only finished 3/5, missing the wire-hair fox terrier and being too slow on spaniel.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

davey wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:06 pm Yes, it's not hard to find references to Wells' "open marriage." On the other hand, it's not hard to find explanations of the difference between the Italian greyhound and the whippet. I guess the judges decided they are so close it's not fair to ask someone to tell them apart with a picture...
Or without one. I'm glad those were reversed, because I said both of them too. The only thing I know about the whippet is that it's good, at least according to that song.

For FJ, I gave two hilarious joke answers, the second of which was "bra", before giving the correct answer, which I puzzled out in a few seconds. I just wish I could remember what my first answer was. I don't think it was "a piece of toast"...