Monday, January 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Monday, January 29, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 am Why was it a crime?
Apparently Congress didn't like being protested against. (You don't say!)

First Circuit agreed with the "Why was it a crime?" and introduced it to the First Amendment, but SCOTUS didn't agree.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:25 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:17 am Why was it a crime?
Apparently Congress didn't like being protested against. (You don't say!)

First Circuit agreed with the "Why was it a crime?" and introduced it to the First Amendment, but SCOTUS didn't agree.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... _O%27Brien

As for “altering” a flag, I have seen the U.S. flag changed by people in an attempt to make a political statement of some type. These variations are against flag code, but do not violate any law.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It took a bit of Googling, but Henry P. Smith (R-NY) was the lone vote against the bill. It does figure that Strom Thurmond was behind its passage. The law was upheld by the Supreme Court in United States v. O'Brien (1968).
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

squarekara wrote:
My hometown public library only has a garbage can and an ashtray flanking the entrance doors. I suppose I'll have to name them now.
Yes, you must!! May I suggest Receptacle & Repository?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 am It took a bit of Googling, but Henry P. Smith (R-NY) was the lone vote against the bill. It does figure that Strom Thurmond was behind its passage. The law was upheld by the Supreme Court in United States v. O'Brien (1968).
I’m not defending Thurmond, but he was just one person. If the Senate vote was similar to the one in the House, it seems to have had broad support among both liberals and conservatives. It was signed into law by LBJ and upheld constitutionally by Earl Warren and six other justices.

I could not find a record of the Senate vote. Anyone know what it was?
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 am It took a bit of Googling, but Henry P. Smith (R-NY) was the lone vote against the bill. It does figure that Strom Thurmond was behind its passage. The law was upheld by the Supreme Court in United States v. O'Brien (1968).
Oh for the good old days when Republicans stood for social justice even if they wouldn't use political capital to achieve it. That was a hard nugget to find, but the court case wasn't. Remind anyone of the over reaction to 9/11 and the Dixie Chicks, etc..?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am
I’m not defending Thurmond, but he was just one person. If the Senate vote was similar to the one in the House, it seems to have had broad support among both liberals and conservatives. It was signed into law by LBJ and upheld constitutionally by Earl Warren and six other justices.

I could not find a record of the Senate vote. Anyone know what it was?
It passed by voice vote.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 pm The thought that it is illegal to alter or burn a bra is pretty damned funny. :)

For some reason this FJ took a long time for me to digest. At first I was thinking "well, it's not the flag" but couldn't think what it could be. I finally put the pieces together and got my answer written a second or two before the music ended, thus keeping my FJ streak alive at 12!
I initially read that as 121. Twelve's pretty impressive, though. :)
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:30 pm
For Fleeboy, Myron and others who like old TV even if before their time: Too bad this game with Ryan Fenster did not have a clue or response with Dickens. Say what? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27m_Dic ... 7s_Fenster
Good one, Mark. When Ryan was introduced, "Dickens/Fenster" (which I did enjoy during its original TV run), was the second stop on the thought train after Benicio Del Toro's character in "The Usual Suspects."

Not quite an instaget FJ, but close. Stopped carrying my draft card two or three wallets ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 pm The thought that it is illegal to alter or burn a bra is pretty damned funny. :)

For some reason this FJ took a long time for me to digest. At first I was thinking "well, it's not the flag" but couldn't think what it could be. I finally put the pieces together and got my answer written a second or two before the music ended, thus keeping my FJ streak alive at 12!
A streak of 12! is even better as it is equal to 479,001,600.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:54 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:28 am

A streak of 12! is even better as it is equal to 479,001,600.
:lol: BTW, it is patently obvious after you notice it, but all factorials > 10 end in zero, and they quickly end in strings of many zeroes. I don't see that ever coming up in the game, but still cool.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 am :lol: BTW, it is patently obvious after you notice it, but all factorials > 10 end in zero, and they quickly end in strings of many zeroes. I don't see that ever coming up in the game, but still cool.
5!, 6!, 7!, 8!, and 9! end with zero also, since they each have 2 x 5 in them somewhere.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Rough one all around, especially early on.

Coryat: 18600
34 R; 3 W (-4200)
DD: 0/3
FJ: :oops: (Fell into the American flag trap)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Moomoomoo1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:59 pm I thought it would be cross burning, given the era. Draft cards didn't even occur to me...
Given that I, uh, actually had a draft card in my wallet during the 60s, this may have been the Instaget of all instagets.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 am
Oh for the good old days when Republicans stood for social justice
Refresh my memory? I must have missed this portion of history class...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 am :lol: BTW, it is patently obvious after you notice it, but all factorials > 10 end in zero, and they quickly end in strings of many zeroes. I don't see that ever coming up in the game, but still cool.
5!, 6!, 7!, 8!, and 9! end with zero also, since they each have 2 x 5 in them somewhere.
So basically 1!, 2!, 3!, and 4! are the only factorials that don't end in zero.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 pm
So basically 1!, 2!, 3!, and 4! are the only factorials that don't end in zero.
0!=1
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alan tiger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 pm i don't carry my draft card. i don't carry my long-expired military i.d. card. i don't carry my DD-214.
but i do carry my veterans' i.d. card issued by my local municipality (upon presentation of my DD-214), because now and then local merchants will give discounts to vets.
First day of basic training in the early '70s, one of my fellow boot campers said he was going to send his draft card to his brother who wanted to burn it ceremoniously. Second day of training, they issued our ID cards and in return confiscated the draft cards. Don't know how that went over with the brother.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:29 pm Ugh, so many negs. I don't blame them; this was a lousy set of boards. At least they managed to recover.
Come on! The problem was NOT with the boards tonight. Standard Jeopardy! fare all around. Total train wreck of a game but fun to watch!

As a fluent French speaker, gotta say I was embarrassed to miss la prune - and sad we didn't get to see the rest of those clues :(

Patience and Leo was my guess for the NYPL lions :lol: Kudos to Maria for getting that one

FJ - flag, thinking wow! this is a really easy final

That was a spectacular fall for Jennifer, who crushed it in her first game (and I do love it when Alex tells a player, "today wasn't your day")
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:oops: I didn't think it through too good before sharing. A while back I just noticed long strings of zeroes when I was trying to show somebody how quickly permutations grow and that was the first forehead slap. It just seems counterintuitive and makes a list of factorials look bogus, like rounded to the nearest gazillion.

This situation reminds me of Benford's Law (confession- I had to look up the name) 8-) . The leading digit of a set of naturally occurring numbers will be a "1" about 30% of the time. Spooky. And yet it's perfectly rational.