Tuesday, January 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7687, 2018-01-30

Ryan Fenster game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Brandey Chandler, an improv actor and library worker from Lee's Summit, Missouri
Emily Lewis, a merchandise planner from San Diego, California
Ryan Fenster, a banker from SeaTac, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. In case you weren't watching yesterday, we had a really strange game. Halfway through the first round, the Jeopardy! Round--that's the easiest round--I was saying a prayer for our three contestants, who are all in the red and digging themselves deeper and deeper in debt. Fortunately, Ryan turned things around, had a good win. Emily, Brandey, I have optimism for today. Good luck. Here we go. Here are the categories for the three of you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LOGO A-GOGO (5/5)
TV COMEDY ADJECTIVES (5/5)
NOT TO BE CONFUSED (3/5)
"SAY" YOU WILL (5/5)
WRITE, PATTERSON (4/5)
AIR FORCE BASE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brandey: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Emily: 6 R, 1 W
Ryan: 8 R (including 1 DD), 5 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Ryan had $200, Emily was in the red with -$200, and Brandey had a deficit with -$200. Ryan wagered $1,000.

AIR FORCE BASE $600: Since the 1950s the USAF & this air force have shared a base at Mildenhall in Suffolk
[Ryan imitates the Daily Double sound cue.]
(Alex: You can risk--
(Ryan: It's what I always do at home. Uh, let's do a true Double.)
(Alex: True Daily Double? All right. You know you can risk up to a thousand.)
(Ryan: Oh. Then, yes, that's what I will do, sorry.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ryan: $2,600
Emily: $1,800
Brandey: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brandey Chandler from Missouri has two things that are really cool. First of all, your finger polish. Fingernail polish. Show that to the camera.

Brandey: I will. It's got a little J!

Alex: It's got a J! for Jeopardy! And you also think that your kids' names are the coolest.

Brandey: I do. My oldest son's name is Othello. My youngest son's name is Phoenix. I just think they have the best names.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Emily Lewis is from San Diego. Likes to drive fast.

Emily: Yes.

Alex: Got two speeding tickets. Which is not unusual.

Emily: No.

Alex: What is unusual is...

Emily: I got them at the same mile marker a year apart by the same state patrol.

Alex: Did he remember you?

Emily: He did not, and I almost made a comment. And then I decided that was probably not a great idea.

[Laughter]

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Ryan Fenster is our champion. He's from SeaTac, Washington. On my bucket list, and I have yet to do it, is a visit to the Yucatan. Which you did and you climbed some of the pyramids there.

Ryan: I did, actually. I went down--I think it was back in 2015--with a group of friends. They had a place there. And I got to climb the pyramid--and I'm sure I'm butchering the pronunciation--Ixmoja, which was pretty much like half a football field straight up this---

Alex: Wow.

Ryan: And when we got to the top, there was a little puppy, like a mutt, who had somehow climbed his way up there, and he was just chillin'. So we hung out with this dog on top of the pyramid in the middle of the jungle.

Alex: And you left him there. You didn't bring him down.

Ryan: He seemed happy.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Now I know what kind of guy you are.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AIR FORCE BASE $200: Named for the famous brothers & a WWI-era pilot, Wright-Patterson AFB is just east of this Ohio aviation city
(Emily: What is Kitty Hawk?)
(Brandey: What is Columbus?)
(Ryan: What is Akron?)
[Alex mimes praying.]

AIR FORCE BASE $1000: Arizona's Luke Air Force Base trains pilots to fly this alphanumeric plane, also known as the Fighting Falcon, a mainstay of the United States Air Force since 1979
(Ryan: What's the A-1?)

NOT TO BE CONFUSED $800: Flip the names: one wrote "An Essay on Man"; the other was a Holy See-er during the 100s
(Ryan: Who is Manisa?)

NOT TO BE CONFUSED $1000: While New Jersey is the "Garden State", this is the "Peace Garden State"
(Ryan: What is Rhode Island?)

WRITE, PATTERSON $1000: Patterson's young adult series about siblings Wisty & Whit Allgood is titled "Witch &" this

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brandey: $5,200
Emily: $3,000
Ryan: $2,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FRENCH SCIENTISTS & INVENTORS (4/5)
THROWING SHADE (4/5)
HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TWO-HANDERS (4/5)
EVERY YEAR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THIS IS "TH" PLACE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ryan: 16 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Brandey: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Emily: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Ryan had $7,000, Emily had $3,000, and Brandey was at $5,600. Ryan wagered $4,000.

HISTORY $1200: A 20-kiloton A-bomb was dropped on this atoll in a 1946 test, the first in peacetime

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brandey who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Ryan had $11,000, Emily had $3,000, and Brandey was at $6,000. Brandey wagered $3,000.

EVERY YEAR $800: In France this annual religious observance is known as "Mercredi des Cendres"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TWO-HANDERS $2000: This A.R. Gurney 2-role play saw Molly Ringwald paired with Andrew McCarthy & Linda Hamilton paired with Ron Perlman

THROWING SHADE $800: In "Don't Come Around Here No More", Tom Petty uses this shadowy action before "my door"

THIS IS "TH" PLACE $1200: From 1970 to 2000 this stadium on the Allegheny was the place for MLB fans

FRENCH SCIENTISTS & INVENTORS $2000: These brothers invented an all-in-one camera & projector called a cinematograph (from which we get the word cinema)
(Brandey: Who is--Who are Daguerre?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ryan: $27,000 (lock game)
Brandey: $8,600
Emily: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE & MYTHOLOGY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Ryan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Brandey: Wager $601 to cover Emily.
Emily: You have the hope of surpassing Brandey for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $3,400 and $4,598.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The "very name embodies the idea of flight", says one analysis of a 20th century novel in describing this main character

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $4,600 - $4,600 = $0 (Who is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Brandey: $8,600 + $3,401 = $12,001 (Who is Daedalus) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ryan: $27,000 - $6,000 = $21,000 (Who is Icarus) (2-day champion: $41,999)
(Alex: It was a novel by James Joyce.)
(Alex: [To Brandey] Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ryan: $23,800, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
Brandey: $6,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Emily: $4,600, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $34,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Ryan: 24/60 = .400
Brandey: 19/59 = .322
Emily: 9/58 = .155
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"SAY" YOU WILL $200: You get 50 minutes to complete this section of the Scholastic Aptitude Test, kids
(Ryan: What is the written?)

NOT TO BE CONFUSED $200: If you want your fingernails polished, you ask for a manicure; if you want your toenails polished, you ask for this
(Brandey: What's [*]?)
(Alex: I'm glad you got that.)
[Laughter]

EVERY YEAR $1600: Hampton, S.C. has been holding a warm-weather festival in honor of these large gourd fruits since 1939
(Emily: What are pumpkins?)

EVERY YEAR $2000: On its 50,000-mile annual migration, the Arctic variety of this bird travels between the North and South Poles

TWO-HANDERS $1600: Ariana Grande & John Legend sang this 2017 Disney remake's title tune
(Brandey: What is Aladdin?)

THIS IS "TH" PLACE $400: Head southwest out of central London to the borough of Kingston upon this
(Brandey: What is Nut Hall?)

FRENCH SCIENTISTS & INVENTORS $1200: He taught physics at the Sorbonne until his death in 1906, when his wife took over the post

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Royal Air Force (or RAF)
Dayton
the F-16
Alexander Pope and Pope Alexander
North Dakota
Witch & Wizard
Bikini Atoll
Ash Wednesday
Love Letters
darken my door
Three Rivers Stadium
the Lumiere brothers
Stephen Dedalus
the essay
a pedicure
watermelons
a tern
Beauty and the Beast
Thames
(Pierre) Curie
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERATURE & MYTHOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The “very name embodies the idea of flight”, says one analysis of a 20th century novel in describing this main character

Ryan Fenster: 27000-6000=21000 (2x = $41,999)
Emily Lewis: 4600-4600=0
Brandey Chandler: 8600+3401=12001

Correct response:
Spoiler
Stephen Dedalus (Ryan – Icarus) (Emily – Who is ?) (Brandey – Daedalus)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 200+1000
Ryan: 7000+4000
Brandey: 6000+3000

Coryats
Ryan: 23800
Emily: 4800
Brandey: 6400

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Ryan: 2600
Emily: 3000
Brandey: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex’s opening included comments about players in the red yesterday and praying for the players today. It was very funny when the game opened with this:

Predictable stumper of the day: The Peace Garden State

Brandey was in first for the cinema brothers for $2K which would have had her at 12600 to Ryan’s 25000. Instead she missed and Ryan took the $1600 and $400 clues to close out the round with the runaway to make Brandey’s sole solve of the FJ! clue not matter.

The FJ! clue had me writing Pegasus for something flight from mythology. I knew I had no matching hit from 20h c. literature, so I kept thinking. On a brainstorm of other mythological flight I hit upon the famous father and son that J! likes. From there I had no doubt which one to pick as I had the match to the author.

Like Brandey I spelled the name the mythological way and unlike her I added the first name. Thank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 pmThank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.
Doesn't he show up in multiple works?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 pmThank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.
Doesn't he show up in multiple works?
Alex named one work and that was good enough for me. I should have read the extra information The Jeopardy! Fan provided. Thanks. And a good reminder since you take the time to add some insight into each day's FJ! clue & response.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

We were whooping with laughter at Alex's opening prayer. Hilarious! How crazy is it going to get by the end of this week?

As a fan of the author whose work figured into FJ, I would have preferred that the writers ask for author's name, rather than just invite guesses for mythological figures that happen to fit the bill. Might as well call the FJ category "Mythological Free Association."

Congrats to Ryan on a great showing!
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm We were whooping with laughter at Alex's opening prayer. Hilarious! How crazy is it going to get by the end of this week?

As a fan of the author whose work figured into FJ, I would have preferred that the writers ask for author's name, rather than just invite guesses for mythological figures that happen to fit the bill. Might as well call the FJ category "Mythological Free Association."

I would have gotten it right in this case. I was trying to think of some 20th century work that would have had a mythological connotation, and I could just come up with Ulysses. So I would have gotten Joyce, despite picking the wrong mythological figure. (The category had me thinking of literary myth, like Iliad or the Odyssey, so I had Ulysses already in mind and couldn't think of anybody else, even though I couldn't figure out the flight connection.) I have heard of Stephen Dedalus, but I didn't think of it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm We were whooping with laughter at Alex's opening prayer. Hilarious! How crazy is it going to get by the end of this week?

Except that would be unfair to people (like me) who had no clue what 20th century work(s) fit the bill - I think Joyce is an acquired taste and not many have acquired it. (And, it's not the first time that they gave multiple paths to the same correct response).

And, kudos to the TPTB for kind of resolving the debate about whether you necessarily need a first and last name in FJ as long as the character is reasonably identifiable (I'm assuming a first name only in this case would have been insufficient). :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I get the Worst FJ Response Award today with Mary Poppins. :lol:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

tiwonge wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm

I would have gotten it right in this case. I was trying to think of some 20th century work that would have had a mythological connotation, and I could just come up with Ulysses. So I would have gotten Joyce, despite picking the wrong mythological figure. (The category had me thinking of literary myth, like Iliad or the Odyssey, so I had Ulysses already in mind and couldn't think of anybody else, even though I couldn't figure out the flight connection.) I have heard of Stephen Dedalus, but I didn't think of it.
Naming the author would have allowed the players to demonstrate knowledge in both "Literature" and "Mythology" as the category title seems to demand. Nobody named the "main character" from a 20th century novel today, so I'm a hair's breadth away from dredging up Sergeant Pepper. (oops.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

One of my favorite songs off the album pictured in my avatar is Falling Back to Earth (by Haken), which is basically a retelling of the Icarus myth. So I would have had some 'splaining to do had I missed this FJ.

FJ: :mrgreen:

LT: North Dakota, Dayton, Three Rivers Stadium
Last edited by Ironhorse on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I clammed on "Named for Mr. Poe" because I wasn't sure if it would include Allan or not.

Bombed on "Say" you will. NHO "soothsayer" or "gainsay" or "assay".

Clueless was a TV show?! I was completely clueless on that whole category except for Happy Days and Flying Nun.

There's a "dynamic ribbon" in the Coca-Cola logo?! I thought it was just the name.

I've heard of the name Jacques Cousteau but had literally no idea who he even was.

No guess on FJ! Even "James Joyce" led me only to Ulysses. Didn't know of a Daedalus character in any book.

Lach Trash: Three Rivers
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

As someone who has spent most of his life living in a bedroom community of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, I was wondering if you could poll that $200 question that they all missed. Also, given how often clues about him end up as a TS, I'm glad that Ryan got the Dag Hammarskjold clue.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm I get the Worst FJ Response Award today with Mary Poppins. :lol:
I got as far as "Well it's not The Flying Nun, because that already came up..."
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

The arctic tern made me think of Colin Mochrie. :lol:

Daedalus got to my page first - good thing, as I worried that it may have been Icarus for a good ten seconds.

I'm liking Ryan a lot- he was really fantastic in DJ!. Some odd misses to this point, but he's got a strong academic knowledge base. Hopefully those slow starts won't do him in anytime soon.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

dinghammer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm I get the Worst FJ Response Award today with Mary Poppins. :lol:
I got as far as "Well it's not The Flying Nun, because that already came up..."
"NOW's the time for The Flying Nun"
Moomoomoo1

Post by Moomoomoo1 »

threearruda wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm The arctic tern made me think of Colin Mochrie. :lol:

Daedalus got to my page first - good thing, as I worried that it may have been Icarus for a good ten seconds.

I'm liking Ryan a lot- he was really fantastic in DJ!. Some odd misses to this point, but he's got a strong academic knowledge base. Hopefully those slow starts won't do him in anytime soon.
Seems like he goes for the low percentage guesses early in the game, when it doesn't matter much. but he's been killing it in DJ despite not getting many DDs.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 pm Like Brandey I spelled the name the mythological way and unlike her I added the first name. Thank you to the writers for not asking for the work as even if I recalled the right one (no guarantee) I would not have wanted to navigate the article minefield. Plus it’s a lot to write.
I couldn't remember the first name or th book, so I dodged multiple bullets tonight. Whatever, a get is a get.

The Two-handers category featured a Beauty & the Beast clue, followed by a Linda Hamilton + Ron Perlman clue. Probably unintentional, but a nice bit of nostalgia for this child of the '80s.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Logo (2), Comedy (3), Confused (2), "SAY" (2), Write (4), Air Force (4)
French Scientists & Inventors (3), Shade (1), History (5), Two-Handers (2), Year (3), "TH" Place (3)

Lach Trash: Dayton, Witch & Wizard, Three Rivers Stadium

I was thinking of Icarus, but guessed Peter Pan because I was also thinking of Pan, but that probably wasn't a good guess. Once Alex mentioned James Joyce, I thought Ulysses, so I was wrong on all counts.