Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7688, 2018-01-31

Ryan Fenster game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Elizabeth Connor, an art director from Brooklyn, New York
Nate Pochomis, an airline pilot from West Grove, Pennsylvania
Ryan Fenster, a banker from SeaTac, Washington (whose 2-day cash winnings total $41,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Not to worry about that slow start two days ago for Ryan. He followed it with two runaway games. Couldn't be caught. Youth, knowledge, and fast fingers. Nate and Elizabeth, you have a lot to contend with today. But good luck to all three. Here we go. Let's find out what the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A STASH OF MUSTACHES (5/5)
NICKNAMES FOR NATIVES (5/5)
ON STAGE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE HUNGARY GAMES (4/5)
CATCHING "FIRE" (5/5)
MOCKING JAY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Elizabeth: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Nate: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ryan: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Elizabeth: $3,400
Nate: $2,000
Ryan: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back, everyone. I have often described myself as an analog brain in a digital world. And I fear that Elizabeth Connor, you're in the same boat as I am, because you like to take Polaroid pictures?

Elizabeth: Polaroids.

Alex: Do they still have them?

Elizabeth: Well, there's a company called The Impossible Project that started retro-engineering the film. They haven't--they're doing a great job. They get a little better every time. But I started because it was overtaken by digital, but digital is infinitely reproducible, with no deterioration. And every single Polaroid is like the Mona Lisa. There's one. That's it. There's no negative. You can't reproduce it.

Alex: Okay, well, good for you.

Elizabeth: Thank you.

Alex: Nate Pochomis from West Grove, Pennsylvania. He's an airline pilot who once nearly set himself on fire. In a plane?

Nate: No, there was no nearly about it. I set myself on fire.

Alex: What were you doing?

Nate: So I decided to try doing bartending tricks.

Alex: Oh, hello.

Nate: And it didn't work. I figured practice makes perfect. I even had a buddy of mine who was a fireman there. He pointed and laughed. Thankfully, no scars. No lasting scars.

Alex: Hopefully, what he pointed with was a fire extinguisher.

Nate: No.

Alex: No. All right.

Alex: Ryan Fenster's our young champion. You've won twice now. You can pay off grad school.

Ryan: Yes, I can. Looking--looking well forward to that and a little nest egg besides.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elizabeth found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Ryan had $1,800, Nate had $3,600, and Elizabeth was at $5,400. Elizabeth wagered $2,000.

ON STAGE $400: Some of the buccaneers in this Gilbert & Sullivan show may do double duty as policemen
(Elizabeth: What is H.M.S. Pinafore?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON STAGE $1000: Let's go to this Lillian Hellman show whose "small" title comes from creatures in the Bible "that spoil the vines"

MOCKING JAY $1000: Stephen A. Smith said of this former "SNL" star's impression of him: "My style is a little bit more pristine"

THE HUNGARY GAMES $200: He made his first prototype of his hand-held game in Budapest using 27 wooden blocks
(Ryan: Who is Rubiks?)
(Alex: You added an "S", it's a common mistake. His name is [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nate: $4,200
Ryan: $3,400
Elizabeth: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PUERTO RICO STRONG (4/5) (Alex: Yes!)
2-WORD SONG TITLES (2/5)
THE PHARAOHS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GANGSTERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EUROPEAN ART (4/5)
LOSER! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nate: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Ryan: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 6 W
Elizabeth: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 26th clue. Ryan had $3,000, Nate had $10,200, and Elizabeth was at $5,800. Ryan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

THE PHARAOHS $2000: Akhenaten tried to switch the empire to worship of this, symbolized by the last 4 letters of his name
(Ryan: What is [*], aten?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Ryan had $10,400, Nate had $10,200, and Elizabeth was at $5,800. Ryan wagered $4,000.

GANGSTERS $1200: While Bugsy Siegel was being shot in B H., Meyer Lansky's goons were walking into a hotel in this city & taking over
(Ryan: What is...)
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Ryan: Uh, what is [*]?)
(Alex: You picked the right one.)
(Ryan: Phew.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
2-WORD SONG TITLES $1200: It's the title & shout-along chorus of a 2012 hit by The Lumineers
(Ryan: What is "Hey Ho"?)
(Alex: You had it backwards, Ryan, it's [*], not "Hey Ho".)

2-WORD SONG TITLES $1600: In 2013 Katy Perry was "coming atcha like a" this, perhaps James K. Polk
(Ryan: What's an ex-President?)
[Audience laughs]
(Alex: Coming atcha like a [*], which James K. Polk was.)

2-WORD SONG TITLES $2000: This Earth, Wind & Fire hit reminds you "what your life can truly be"

PUERTO RICO STRONG $2000: Written to protect ships from German U-boats, this 1920 act dealing with shipping was said to be hurting P.R.'s economy in 2017
(Ryan: What is the Embargo Act?)
(Elizabeth: What is the Johnson Act?)
(Alex: It's the [*], not the Johnson.)

EUROPEAN ART $2000: Like Toulouse-Lautrec, Maurice Utrillo was fond of painting this district of Paris famous for its windmills
(Ryan: What's the Moulin Rouge?)
(Alex: What is [*]? The Moulin Rouge is one specific place.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ryan: $14,400
Nate: $10,200
Elizabeth: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD BRANDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Ryan: Wager $6,001 to cover Nate.
Nate: You need to wager $1,401 to cover Elizabeth's doubled score, but no more than $1,800 if you want to top Ryan on a Triple Stumper.
Elizabeth: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $2,600), you might try betting $4,401, playing for a win if Nate tries to two-thirds Ryan (though, from this position, a wager of all $5,800 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Nate to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen here is the location of the first plant of this company

FINAL SCORES
Elizabeth: $5,800 + $5,800 = $11,600 (What is Ore-Ida?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Nate: $10,200 - $1,801 = $8,399 (What is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ryan: $14,400 + $11,000 = $25,400 (What is Ore-Ida) (3-day champion: $67,399)
(Alex: It's right on the border between Oregon and Idaho.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ryan: $10,600, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 10 W
Nate: $10,200, 19 R, 2 W
Elizabeth: $7,800, 13 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $28,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Ryan: 20/60 = .333
Nate: 19/58 = .328
Elizabeth: 14/59 = .237
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A STASH OF MUSTACHES $200: The secret word is this guy, born Julius in New York City in 1890.

A STASH OF MUSTACHES $400: The 1912 story "The Zayat Kiss" introduced this sinister criminal portrayed in many movies since

A STASH OF MUSTACHES $600: This great decade for mustaches featured Mark Spitz, Frank Zappa, and yours truly

CATCHING "FIRE" $600: He pioneered the manufacture of tires for the Model T

CATCHING "FIRE" $1000: "Light the fire within" is the motto of this youth organization that began accepting boys in 1975
(Ryan: Who are the?)
(Alex: Oh, darn.)

A STASH OF MUSTACHES $1000: Missionary doctor whose bristles are seen here

A STASH OF MUSTACHES $800: This director grew his mustache at 24, already five films into his career of shocking and engaging audiences

MOCKING JAY $200: This "Tonight Show" host mockingly said President Obama promised me if I liked my current job, I could keep it
(Nate: Who is Fallon?)

MOCKING JAY $800: "Only you, Farva, can make a dark man blush", says Jay Chandrasekhar in this 2001 cult cop comedy

NICKNAMES FOR NATIVES $400: It's not just a national anthem, it's a female resident of a city on the gulf of Lion
(Ryan: What is Marseilles?)
(Elizabeth: What is the [*]?)

THE HUNGARY GAMES $600: In Hungary this chess piece is called the kiraly; the chess notation for it is the same as in English
(Ryan: What is the rook?)

2-WORD SONG TITLES $400: In a 2016 No. 1 Justin Bieber told an ex to go & do this
(Ryan: What is "Forget Me"?)

EUROPEAN ART $400: Deemed indecent, his "Naked Maja" painting caused him to be called before the Inquisition
(Ryan: Who is El Greco?)

GANGSTERS $800: He survived a 1929 one-way ride in which he was stabbed multiple times; no wonder he was called Lucky

GANGSTERS $2000: Though he most likely didn't file with the state, Louis Lepke founded the hitman organization known as this
(Nate: What is Murders, Inc.?)

EUROPEAN ART $1200: At St. Peter's Basilica, you can see this Michelangelo masterpiece carved from a single block of marble

THE PHARAOHS $1200: The second of his name, he ruled Egypt for more than six decades and built a number of memorable temples

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Pirates of Penzance
The Little Foxes
Jay Pharoah
Erno Rubik
the sun
Las Vegas
"Ho Hey"
"Dark Horse"
"Shining Star"
Jones Act
Montmartre
Ore-Ida
Groucho Marx
Fu Manchu
the 1970s
(Harvey) Firestone
Campfire
(Albert) Schweitzer
John Waters
Jay Leno
Super Troopers
Marseillaise
king
"Love Yourself"
(Francisco) Goya
(Lucky) Luciano
Murder, Inc.
the Pieta
Ramesses
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOOD BRANDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seen here is the location of the first plant of this company

Ryan Fenster: 14400+11000=25400 (3x = $67,399)
Nate Pochomis: 10200-1801=8,399
Elizabeth Connor: 5800+5800=11600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ore-Ida (Nate – What is)

Daily Doubles
Elizabeth: 5400-2000
Ryan: 3000+3000
Ryan: 10400+4000

Coryats
Ryan: 10600
Nate: 10200
Elizabeth: 7800

Combined: 28,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Ryan: 3400
Nate: 4200
Elizabeth: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex: …once nearly set himself on fire
Nate: There was no nearly about it. I set myself on fire.

Do not contradict the host as even an $8000 lead with 6 clues to go can disappear. Quite the comeback by Ryan as he was in the red with 12 clues to go and down by over $10K.

Imagine what Ryan could do if he played the game with a little more discipline and board strategy. He had misses all over the place, stayed in a category that was guaranteed not to have DD3, yet later found it, and having managed to eke out the lead he risked dropping into second place.

Ryan laughs at such analysis as he made $25K+ for his efforts. Once again Ryan made his Daily Double beep sounds (he does it at home) and in the end managed to take Sony for a few extra thousand in the FJ! round with the over bet. When his wager was revealed I laughed as Ryan did money-rubbing fingers knowing the big payday was on its way.

The FJ! clue’s image had an arrow showing where to go. Okay, I can handle that as I ate enough of the trademarked product in my younger days and the company’s four vowels in six letters comes up in crossword puzzles.

Nate must have walked out of the studio in a daze thinking “What the hell happened?”

The leather jacket for day 3 has me wondering what Ryan will break out for the after lunch game. If Dana Carvey watches he has to be thinking he could parody Ryan with no rehearsal.

For those of you that peek early at the Clue of the Day, today was a case when the FJ! clue was not used as it had the visual image. When that occurs the site uses a regular clue from earlier in the game. In this case it was DD3 that was revealed on the J! site.

There is a tip-off for it that can be seen by looking at the J!6 categories. If the Clue of the Day category matches a J!6 category then expect some kind of extra image or something in the FJ! round besides words only.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So, Ryan and Nate both wagered more than necessary. Nate's wager set up the scenario that if Ryan had made the (proper?) minimum bet to cover and missed FJ, he and Nate would have been tied. Weird, that.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Heck, yeah, Nate was on fire. Too bad about the jinx, because he was really outstanding. Remember, kids--whatever Uncle Alex says goes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:16 pm Alex: …once nearly set himself on fire
Nate: There was no nearly about it. I set myself on fire.

Do not contradict the host as even an $8000 lead with 6 clues to go can disappear. [...]

Nate must have walked out of the studio in a daze thinking “What the hell happened?”

The leather jacket for day 3 has me wondering what Ryan will break out for the after lunch game. If Dana Carvey watches he has to be thinking he could parody Ryan with no rehearsal.
:lol:

I read these out to Mrs. Penguin who also laughed.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

What a comeback! I thought Fonz Ryan was a goner for sure.

FJ was a strange combo of near-instaget, and a forehead slap. "Hmm, border of Oregon and Idah...Ore-Ida! Ooooohhhhh, so THAT'S what that name means! *slap*" I ate enough tater tots as a kid to feed a small nation and I never realized that.
Cyric29
Contributor

Post by Cyric29 »

Maybe it was just me, but I thought there was an quick look of disappointment/frustration on Nate's face when Ryan got Las Vegas at the moment.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I am shocked that FJ was not a triget. :o
trash: Pirates of Penzance DD, Rubik, Dark Horse (James K Polk), Murder Inc.
and THIS is why you do not run the categories from the top. Ryan hunted and found the DDs to take back the game.
and in tribute to Ryan, this scene
artshep
Contributor

Post by artshep »

Easy clue to guess, but I lived in the UAE for 5+ years and never once heard a native referred to as an 'Emirian.' 'Emirati' was the term.

'Emirian' has traction on the internet, it's just not a word anybody from the UAE (or anywhere in the Middle East or anywhere else, as far as I can tell) actually uses.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Cyric29 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 pm Maybe it was just me, but I thought there was an quick look of disappointment/frustration on Nate's face when Ryan got Las Vegas at the moment.

Um, yeah. Ya think?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:20 pm
Cyric29 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 pm Maybe it was just me, but I thought there was an quick look of disappointment/frustration on Nate's face when Ryan got Las Vegas at the moment.

Um, yeah. Ya think?
That, and lots of buzzer frustration from Nate throughout. Ryan, OTOH, likes to look at the buzzer quizzically. "Hmm, is this thing on?"

Elizabeth was in my audition group in NYC. She started out well! but Ryan pulled the rug out from under both the gentleman and the lady. So far 3 from my group have made the show - all have gotten FJ right but sadly, all have lost :(

I'll be in the 2% of survey respondents who had no guess on Final. These were not great boards for me, but I'd love to find EUROPEAN ART and ON STAGE in the same game. Montmartre, people!

Ugh, I couldn't for the life of me recall the Jones Act. For a moment, I thought I'd blanked on Hurricane Maria, too, but then I got there

For capo di tutti capi, I got stuck in translation goo and spat out " head of all heads" - assume they would have taken that

Funny thing. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I recently picked up classic trivial pursuit for a buck in a thrift store. At game night this past weekend, I got a clue about the city associated with Bugsy and had no guess at all. Needless to say, my friends mocked me. Tonight, I was right on the money with Las Vegas! But wow. What drama! I thought they were gonna buzz Ryan for sure and then somehow he proffered Las Vegas, out of nowhere.

The leather jacket was a surprise to see, given the oversized shirt and tie for games 1 & 2. He seems very relaxed and in flow up there - I can see him going on a nice little run, if he cleans up his game
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Watching this episode just before dinner made me crave some tater tots.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Umm... yum-yum Instaget. ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

FJ was an easy and obvious answer... if I had ever heard of the company before.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Much empathy for Nate. I don't know if he couldn't get in, or chose to stay clam so Ryan could drive into the ditch again. How Ryan turned it on from wild guesses to measured responses on hard questions is a mystery.
Nate didn't lose the game, Ryan won it. The FJ results reinforced that karma anyway.

I first thought about the Paper Towel or forestry products etc. (Weyerhauser?), but once taters came in the equation it was easy.

I enjoy watching Ryan about 2x more than I did watching Austin. Kind of like watching Crash Kincade with a clicker. Ten strikeouts and ten bases on balls per 9 innings = there's always something going on! I wish the taped show had a permanent on-screen graphic with player scores. I get tired of having to rewind and freeze to see where contestants are at. I rewound back to Ryan's -$200 and Nate's +$10,600 position to see how big the move was. Reminds me of a certain Super Bowl last year.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Do you really need to label the state names? Maybe make it a tad harder?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 19, W: 0
Coryat: 15,600
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 0/3
LT: Rubik

The whole gameplay seemed very fast to me today. Since I generally watch thanks to reddit guy, I even double checked to make sure I didn't have the playback speed set at 125% (my normal for YouTube, since most people talk so slow there.) I know I missed answering several questions because of the speed. Some I know I'd likely pull out the right answer given an extra couple of seconds, some probably not. In the end, a push overall.

Clearly, Ryan and I suffered from opposite problems today. He did an awful lot of guessing, I didn't do nearly enough. But then again, he won and I figured that I'd be in 4th place on the 4th podium (dividing my Coryat by 3 to account for buzzer odds). So there's that.

Quite an impressive save by Ryan at the end. I'm sure I saw some disappointment on Nate's face - very understandable. Even if Ryan got that last DD wrong, he still should have won with his right answer on FJ and Nate's miss.

FJ was pretty much an instaget. Spent a few seconds deciding if the internal "e" was there or not. Wrote both down and clearly it looked right with the "e", so I went with that.
--Peter
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

What's the best wager for that last daily double?

It was the last clue in the round and Ryan got it with 10,400 vs 10200/5800. A typical player gets a DD right about 65% of the time but they get FJ right about 50% of the time. Wagering everything makes sense because you have a 65% chance of winning the game outright. Alternatively you bet small on the DD to keep the lead and then if you make the standard wager (10,0001) and second wagers to win from a miss (0 or a little more) you have a 50% chance of losing.

Is it better to wager everything on the DD because it gives better odds of answering correctly or is it better to stay in front with the combined chances of both answering correctly and a win from questionable wagering?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.