HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by seaborgium »

Setho wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 pm Has anyone been able to cash out from Cash Show? I've been trying to transfer $26 to my PayPal account and it has been "in review" for 2 days.
Kids Week J! alum Chad Mosher recently reported having gotten his CashShow money ten days after cashing out.

In other news, I won HQ for the sixth time today, picking up $26.59 more.
mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mikebdoss »

For those worried about giving your Paypal "info", isn't that just your email address? I know some people don't like to give it out, but it's not like they can take/steal your money with just your email address.

That said, I can imagine a nice social hack where some service asks you to set up an account, then cross references your sign-up email and password with Paypal to see if it works (though with 2FA, that's not as big of an issue anymore).
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 pm For those worried about giving your Paypal "info", isn't that just your email address? I know some people don't like to give it out, but it's not like they can take/steal your money with just your email address.

That said, I can imagine a nice social hack where some service asks you to set up an account, then cross references your sign-up email and password with Paypal to see if it works (though with 2FA, that's not as big of an issue anymore).
I have zero expertise in this area, but I worry that if they can put funds in, they might hack a way to take something out via an associated credit card.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:42 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 pm For those worried about giving your Paypal "info", isn't that just your email address? I know some people don't like to give it out, but it's not like they can take/steal your money with just your email address.

I have zero expertise in this area, but I worry that if they can put funds in, they might hack a way to take something out via an associated credit card.
Paypal doesn't work that way - only the account holder can move/withdraw funds - other people can pay you, but not take your money. Think of it like a checking account - everyone you write a check to has your checking account number, but that doesn't let them take your money.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Paypal doesn't work that way - only the account holder can move/withdraw funds - other people can pay you, but not take your money. Think of it like a checking account - everyone you write a check to has your checking account number, but that doesn't let them take your money.
Thanks! I still don't like the report of a TEN DAY process, but I guess I have 90 days or so to act.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks! I still don't like the report of a TEN DAY process, but I guess I have 90 days or so to act.
For comparison's sake, Kiva.com would also take at least 5 business days to return your case when you withdrew money from your Kiva account.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

In CashShow, there was an error in the 8PM EST game today. The clue asked for the date of "World Cancer Day", which is February 4, but that was not one of the options. February 2 was given as the supposed correct answer. The voiceover following the reveal correctly said February 4.

I want my three cents!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 pm In CashShow, there was an error in the 8PM EST game today. The clue asked for the date of "World Cancer Day", which is February 4, but that was not one of the options. February 2 was given as the supposed correct answer. The voiceover following the reveal correctly said February 4.

I want my three cents!
What were the options?
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:33 pm
heppm01 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 pm In CashShow, there was an error in the 8PM EST game today. The clue asked for the date of "World Cancer Day", which is February 4, but that was not one of the options. February 2 was given as the supposed correct answer. The voiceover following the reveal correctly said February 4.

I want my three cents!
What were the options?
March 3 was one of the options. I think May 4? Or May 5? One of those was the other option.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I want my three cents!
I think the sloppiness of Cash Show is turning out to be the most amusing thing about it. Bad pronunciation, misspellings, etc. Of course, the entertainment factor goes out the window when their mistakes affect our winnings!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

One question today asked what state the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" is, but the voice reading it said, "Land of a Thousand Lakes."
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

And author "Dr. Suess." What, from Laugh-In?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I actually got paid by the cash show :15.90 in my PayPal acct. I like it a little more now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought the last playing of CashShow had a decent uptick in difficulty compared to recent games. (I used a lifeline on the first question and got out on the second, if that's any indication.) The first money questions have been worth nothing lately because they've been $100 with more than 10,000 getting them right, but the first money question of the last game was 8 cents for a correct response. And then they asked for the inventor of basketball and the year of the Great Fire in London on the last two questions, so the winners ended up with $4 and change. But that's still an improvement over the sub-$2 payouts that have been the norm for the last week or so.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

"Amuse-bouche" question on HQ today! :lol:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 pm "Amuse-bouche" question on HQ today! :lol:
Yup, and a Savage Question, too. More HQties need to watch J!, I guess. Also my second win ever, this time playing alone. It felt quite a bit like Slumdog Millionaire (I did have to make educated guesses on Q10 and Q12).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:19 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 pm "Amuse-bouche" question on HQ today! :lol:
Yup, and a Savage Question, too. More HQties need to watch J!, I guess. Also my second win ever, this time playing alone. It felt quite a bit like Slumdog Millionaire (I did have to make educated guesses on Q10 and Q12).
I got it wrong anyway. I guess I only focused on the translation portion of the J! clue.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

So, Cash Show is officially nuts now. They just asked something like "In the Mother Goose Rhyme, Little Boy Blue jumps over what? Sun? Star? Moon?" As we know, LBB couldn't be bothered to do a dang thing--he was "under the haystack, fast asleep!" I had to tap the response I thought they wanted for the question I thought they meant to ask, and I ended up guessing "correctly." Crazy. Maybe someone else recalls a comedy sketch with Rowan Atkinson, Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese and others. A quizmaster's cards get mixed up during a quiz bowl competition, and, in order to get answers right, the schoolchildren are forced to make blind predictions and respond with the "correct" incorrect answer. That's where we are with Cash Show.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 pm So, Cash Show is officially nuts now. They just asked something like "In the Mother Goose Rhyme, Little Boy Blue jumps over what? Sun? Star? Moon?" As we know, LBB couldn't be bothered to do a dang thing--he was "under the haystack, fast asleep!" I had to tap the response I thought they wanted for the question I thought they meant to ask, and I ended up guessing "correctly." Crazy. Maybe someone else recalls a comedy sketch with Rowan Atkinson, Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese and others. A quizmaster's cards get mixed up during a quiz bowl competition, and, in order to get answers right, the schoolchildren are forced to make blind predictions and respond with the "correct" incorrect answer. That's where we are with Cash Show.
Michael Rankins (aka SwanShadow) pointed out on Twitter that for the question "Which of these stars is on Orion's belt?", none of the choices (Sirius, Betelgeuse, Polaris) were correct.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

They also had a question asking you to identify in which country you can see the Northern Lights. The “correct” choice was the U.S. but the other choices were the U.K. and Mexico. So, pretty much three right answers on that question.