Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rackme32 »

Ryan, the modern-day Silky Sullivan!

For those who just looked at that and their brains went, wtf??", Silky Sullivan was a racehorse in the late 50' who became famous for his come-from-FAR-behind tactics... Was once 41 lengths back in a sprint race... That's about 8 full seconds behind the leader with some 45 second left in the race. Silky started his run, finally getting close to the 2nd-to-last horse at the top of the stretch, then roaring on by 'em to win.

Poems were written about him, a pop song, etc. The immensely popular colt won a string of races and got to the Kentucky Derby where he was the betting favorite, but his closing rush came up short on a muddy racetrack.

So, how does Ryan do in the mud? Guess we'll eventually find out... :)

FJ! was a cinch, at least for this lover of Tater Tots... Especially Ore-Ida Tater Tots. A map of Oregon and Idaho serves as part the package logo.

GREAT pull on Lost Wages, er Las Vegas... I had guessed that at home also, remembering that Lucky Luciano had been a major figure in Vegas history.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i remember silky sullivan!
and i know a little bit about vegas.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

What do the judges say about OREIDA?? I only know the logo (which doesn't have the dash)
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

For all his finger-rubbing cockiness, I liked that Ryan was so quick to congratulate/console the other players.

Definitely a noteworthy comeback, but he’s lucky his jumbo FJ wager didn’t undo it!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

30 right.

Mustache (2), Native (1), Stage (3), Hungary (3), "FIRE" (2), Jay (2)
Puerto Rico (3), 2-Word Songs (2), Pharaohs (5), Gangsters (2), European Art (2), Loser! (3)

Lach Trash: Rubik, "Dark Horse", "Shining Star"; Daily Double: The Pirates of Penzance

Instaget FJ.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

42 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (The Pirates of Penzance), The Little Foxes, Erno Rubik, Ho Hey, Dark Horse, Montmartre

Ran Hungary, On Stage, and European Art.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

chmmr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 pm What do the judges say about OREIDA?? I only know the logo (which doesn't have the dash)
Of course they'd take that.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Thought “Well, I know there’s a Kellog, Idaho, but that company has always been in the Midwest, right? And isn’t it named for the found - border of Oregon and Idaho!! ORE-IDA!! [proceed to make this face :o for the rest of the Think Music that surely would have been caught by the cameras (not to mention Alex) had I been on stage.]”

Ryan definitely is the Comeback Kid! Maybe I’m missing someone but if Ryan makes it to at least 5 games would this be the first time a superchamp* was defeated by a superchamp who was then defeated by a superchamp? There does seem to be a plethora of big winners lately.

*defining “superchamp” as someone who won at least 5 games, ie has their ToC card punched.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:07 am Maybe I’m missing someone but if Ryan makes it to at least 5 games would this be the first time a superchamp* was defeated by a superchamp who was then defeated by a superchamp? There does seem to be a plethora of big winners lately.

*defining “superchamp” as someone who won at least 5 games, ie has their ToC card punched.
Check the carousel of champs. 2x Lee beat Gilbert and 1x Jennifer beat Rachel and ?X Ryan beat Jennifer.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

One of the very, very few times that I had never even heard of the FJ response.

Speaking of which, I will submit a poll request for "I've never even heard of Ore-Ida". Thanks ahead of time, Mark.

This was a decently played game, and Ryan pulled off a thrilling comeback. Fun fact; while I later read/watched/learned about them, two LT I got this game ("Little Foxes" and "Pirates of Penzance") I originally came across on Jeopardy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've eaten plenty of their products and reset the frozen potatoes sections in grocery stores enough times to where that was an instaget. Although, just five minutes ago I had no idea how the company got its name.

A bit surprised nobody has commented on his DD wager at the end. He is up by just $200 and bets $4,000. I thought it wouldn't have been a bad idea to go all-in there and go for the lock in a fairly simple category.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 am I've eaten plenty of their products and reset the frozen potatoes sections in grocery stores enough times to where that was an instaget. Although, just five minutes ago I had no idea how the company got its name.

A bit surprised nobody has commented on his DD wager at the end. He is up by just $200 and bets $4,000. I thought it wouldn't have been a bad idea to go all-in there and go for the lock in a fairly simple category.
Yes, it seems like a time when you either go with $5 or bet it all.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

...um...helluva comeback....
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 pm For capo di tutti capi, I got stuck in translation goo and spat out " head of all heads" - assume they would have taken that
I said "chief of all chiefs". Can I count that?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 am I've eaten plenty of their products and reset the frozen potatoes sections in grocery stores enough times to where that was an instaget. Although, just five minutes ago I had no idea how the company got its name.

Yes, it seems like a time when you either go with $5 or bet it all.
Well, he had room to save himself a few bucks so he could play FJ. But yeah, those were the two options in my mind. The $4000 wager was pretty much as bad as it could possibly be. Getting it right doesn't give him a crush against Nate. (I.e. Nate can win without getting FJ right.) But if Ryan gets FJ wrong, that DOES give Nate a crush against him. (I.e. Ryan CAN'T win without getting FJ right unless Nate overwagers.) Essentially, Ryan's wager was all downside. If he gets it right, he's no better off.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am Speaking of which, I will submit a poll request for "I've never even heard of Ore-Ida". Thanks ahead of time, Mark.
There are two of you already in this thread and I'm shocked by that. On the other hand based on the 1/15 poll 11% have never eaten a Triscuit and I wouldn't have ever guessed that either!

Ore-Ida has got to be far and away the best selling frozen potato brand in the U.S.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:30 pm For capo di tutti capi, I got stuck in translation goo and spat out " head of all heads" - assume they would have taken that
I said "chief of all chiefs". Can I count that?
I cycled through every possible translation except boss, chief included. They'd have to accept any reasonable translation

For the record, I've heard of Ore-Ida but I don't buy anything in the frozen food aisle besides ice cream so it wasn't coming to me. 30 seconds really isn't enough time to solve when you're drawing a blank
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:52 am
IronNeck wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 am Speaking of which, I will submit a poll request for "I've never even heard of Ore-Ida". Thanks ahead of time, Mark.
There are two of you already in this thread and I'm shocked by that. On the other hand based on the 1/15 poll 11% have never eaten a Triscuit and I wouldn't have ever guessed that either!

Ore-Ida has got to be far and away the best selling frozen potato brand in the U.S.
Yeah, I can't see polling this just to see that 98% of the people have heard of Ore-Ida. It's almost TPHish.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:52 am

And, of course, Tater Tots. I'm not too surprised that some people have never heard of it. Had I not consumed several body weights of Tater Tots in my youth, I'm not sure I would have, either.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 pm Do you really need to label the state names? Maybe make it a tad harder?
That was my thought as well. It was virtually a STUPID ANSWERS clue.

And I was baffled that Elizabeth knew enough about Gilbert and Sullivan to guess H.M.S. Pinafore, but couldn't name the show with "buccaneers." I suspect she would have gotten it from the living room. This is a good example of how, on a DD, you need to slow yourself down and find the TOM.