Thursday, February 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7689, 2018-02-01

Ryan Fenster game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Justin Earnshaw, an English teacher from Cheyenne, Wyoming
Sara Helmers, an attorney from Washington, D.C.
Ryan Fenster, a banker from SeaTac, Washington (whose 3-day cash winnings total $67,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for making me feel so welcome. Good to have you with us. I think it's safe to say after three lopsided wins that we can now start referring to our young champion, Ryan, as someone who is really good. But no matter how good our champions have been in the past, they wind up being replaced by somebody who defeats them. Sara and Justin are here to attempt that today. I'll wish all three of you good luck and put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TALKIN' FOOTBALL (0/5)
LITERARY TERMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"F" STOP (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with that letter of the alphabet.)
INTRODUCTION TO FILM (4/5)
GEOGRAPHY 101 (5/5)
EASY COURSE LOAD (4/5) (Alex: And, of course, it's an...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ryan: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Sara: 7 R, 0 W
Justin: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ryan found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Ryan had $3,400, Sara had $1,400, and Justin had nothing in the bank. Ryan wagered $2,000.

LITERARY TERMS $1000: 3 types of conflict are man against man, man against himself & this title of an anthology with Hemingway & Heyerdahl

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ryan: $5,400
Sara: $2,000
Justin: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Justin Earnshaw is an English teacher from Cheyenne, Wyoming. Tell me how you met your wife.

Justin: We met on stage. Downtown Cheyenne has the annual old-fashioned melodrama. It's an old-time vaudevillian show. I was playing the hero, my first stage role. She was the "hero-iney", and by the end, we fell in love and made plans to get married, so it all worked out.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: All right, Sara Helmers, attorney from Washington, D.C. Studying American Sign Language. Are you good at it?

Sara: Getting there.

Alex: All right. I can win this game.

[Sara repeats the phrase in American Sign Language.]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: [Referencing Sara] She's looking at you, champ, she's looking at you.

Ryan: Welcome to try.

Alex: She's got your number. Ryan Fenster is our champion. We keep introducing you as a banker.

Ryan: Yeah.

Alex: What kind of banking are we talking about?

Ryan: I am the vault teller for--can I say the bank?

Alex: Sure.

Ryan: For Columbia Bank in Seattle. And it is my job to manage all of the cash in the branch.

Alex: Oh, you're the guy I wanna know.

Ryan: I know, I know. Everybody wants to know me.

Alex: Okay, all right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INTRODUCTION TO FILM $200: 1962: "Introducing Peter O'Toole"
(Ryan: What is Man of La Mancha?)
(Justin: What is Beckett?)

EASY COURSE LOAD $600: Also on the plate, this bulgur treat using parsley, mint, tomato, and lemon
(Ryan: What is couscous?)

TALKIN' FOOTBALL $200: Your choice: do or don't name this play in which the QB runs the ball & can choose to pitch it to another back
(Alex: I can tell you guys are big football fans.)
(Ryan: Yeah, yeah.)
[Audience laughter]

TALKIN' FOOTBALL $400: Tom Landry perfected the shotgun formation with this team
[Audience laughter]
(Alex: Do you think we should go to commercial?)

TALKIN' FOOTBALL $600: By signaling for one of these, a returner can reel in a kick without fear of getting tackled
[Audience laughter]
(Alex: Two clues left, Ryan.)

TALKIN' FOOTBALL $800: These "penalties" are simultaneous violations by the offense & defense that cancel each other out
(Alex: And they are called [*]. Let's look at the $1,000 clue, just for the fun of it.)

TALKIN' FOOTBALL $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue from U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.) As Minneapolis' U.S. Bank Stadium prepares to host Super Bowl LII, I'm looking at the Ring of Honor, with names from this defensive line that took the Vikings to four Super Bowls
[Audience laughter]
(Alex: If you guys ring in and get this one, I will die. Who are the [*]? We're gonna take a break. I have to talk to them.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ryan: $8,200
Sara: $3,000
Justin: $2,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES (3/5)
ADJECTIVES (4/5)
TV SHOWS IN OTHER WORDS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TOTALLY METAL, DUDE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CIVIL LAW (5/5)
STAG, YOU'RE IT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Justin: 9 R, 0 W
Ryan: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sara: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Ryan had $12,200, Sara had $9,400, and Justin was at $10,200. Sara wagered $2,000.

TOTALLY METAL, DUDE $1600: A beam of cesium is a prime component of this extremely accurate device; the first experimental one was built in 1949
(Sara: What is a Geiger counter?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Ryan had $15,400, Sara had $6,600, and Justin was at $12,200. Ryan wagered $4,000.

TV SHOWS IN OTHER WORDS $1600: "Homely boop"
(Ryan: Let's do $4,000.)
(Alex: $4,000 it is. You like that.)
(Ryan: I like $4,000.)
(Alex: Alright.)
(Alex: Ryan?)
(Ryan: What is...)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES $1200: In 1957, she became the first African-American to win a singles title at Wimbledon

BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES $1600: He was a longtime assistant to Robert E. Peary, and a co-discoverer of the North Pole

TOTALLY METAL, DUDE $2000: It's atomic number 22 in your program but number 1 in your heart when an alloy is used in a pacemaker

ADJECTIVES $1600: Neither donkey nor elephant, the Congressional Budget Office says it offers this type of objective analysis
(Sara: What is bipartisan?)
(Alex: You're close, what is [*]?)

TV SHOWS IN OTHER WORDS $400: "3 pairs of tootsies down below"

TV SHOWS IN OTHER WORDS $2000: "A decade or less shy of two score years old"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Justin: $12,200
Ryan: $11,400
Sara: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Justin: Wager $10,601 to cover Ryan.
Ryan: You have to wager $1,801 to cover Sara's doubled score, but certainly no more than $4,799, so as to force Sara to be right to have a chance at winning.
Sara: Consider risking between $4,801 and $4,999. This will top a $0 wager by Ryan while still beating Justin on the Triple Stumper (should Justin wager to cover Ryan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In his 1958 essay "Essentials of Spontaneous Prose", he compared a writing technique to a jazz musician's style

FINAL SCORES
Sara: $6,600 - $6,500 = $100 (Who is Fitzgerald?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ryan: $11,400 + $11,399 = $22,799 (Who is Keruac) (4-day champion: $90,198)
Justin: $12,200 - $11,000 = $1,200 (Who is Russell?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: I think somebody once commented on his bestseller, "That's not writing, that's typing.")
(Alex: You are correct, sir, even though you misspelled his last name.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ryan: $14,400, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Justin: $12,200, 15 R, 2 W
Sara: $8,600, 14 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Ryan: 17/60 = .283
Justin: 15/58 = .259
Sara: 14/59 = .237
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GEOGRAPHY 101 $400: U.S. Hwy 101 once stretched from Washington to Mexico; now its southern end is in this city's Boyle Heights area
(Justin: What is San Diego?)

GEOGRAPHY 101 $600: Seaside, Oregon marks the spot where members of the Lewis & Clark expedition boiled sea water to make 28 gallons of this

GEOGRAPHY 101 $800: You have found it! The Carson Mansion in this port city and seat of Humboldt County

GEOGRAPHY 101 $1000: In Washington State, U.S. 101 skirts this National Park and its lush rainforests

LITERARY TERMS $200: Shorter word for "non-poetry"; a Moliere character is amazed that he's been speaking it his whole life
(Alex: Good. You got yourself out of the hole.)

INTRODUCTION TO FILM $600: "And introducing Ke Huy Quan as Short Round" in this 1984 action sequel
(Ryan: What is Temple of Doom? What is [*]?)

BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES $400: His blindness by age 7, possibly from glaucoma, never got in the way of his success

BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES $800: He's the author and very visible man seen here

BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES $2000: The subject of a TV movie and a Rockwell painting, in 1960 shemade history by integrating an all-white school in New Orleans

CIVIL LAW $2000: The U.S. justice dept. says that in countries with civil law, the judge can act more like this "p"erson in our system
(Alex: [*], that's why the P was highlighted.)

STAG, YOU'RE IT $1200: Here's Actaeon about to be caught by his own dogs after this Greek goddess of the hunt turned him into a stag

STAG, YOU'RE IT $2000: A famous 19th century image by Edwin Landseer is "Stag at" this, referring to being trapped, not the body of water

ADJECTIVES $800: Mr. Burns' "superior" 1-word catchphrase
(Ryan (as Mr. Burns): What is [*]?)
(Alex (mimicking): What is very good, too?)
(audience laughter)

ADJECTIVES $2000: If you can't pay certain fees, a court may declare you this synonym for needy
(Justin: What is destitute?) (originally ruled unacceptable)
(Ryan: What is penurious?)
(Sara: What is impoverished?)
(Alex: What is [*]? Court may declare you [*].)
(Alex: Ryan, you're in the lead with $13,400, but that score is about to change. A few moments ago, all three of you will recall I said there was no harm, no foul, you all missed out on that clue that we were going for a response of "what is [*]", Justin, you responded, "What is destitute?" It turns out that we could have accepted that as a correct response, and if we had, the other two players would not have been allowed to ring in, so you're picking up $4,000, Sara you're getting $2,000, and Ryan you also are getting $2,000. You're still in the lead.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Man against Nature
Lawrence of Arabia
tabbouleh
option play
Dallas Cowboys
fair catch
offsetting penalties
the Purple People Eaters
atomic clock
Ugly Betty
Althea Gibson
Matthew Henson
titanium
nonpartisan
Six Feet Under
Thirtysomething
Jack Kerouac
Los Angeles
salt
Eureka
Olympic National Park
prose
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Ray Charles
Ralph Ellison
(Ruby) Bridges
prosecutor
Artemis
bay
"Excellent!"
indigent (destitute accepted)
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In his 1958 essay “Essentials of Spontaneous Prose”, he compared a writing technique to a jazz musician’s style

Ryan Fenster: 11400+11399=22799 (4x = $90,198)
Sara Helmers: 6600-6500=100
Justin Earnshaw: 12200-11000=1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jack Kerouac (Ryan – Keruac) (Sara – Fitzgerald) (Justin – Russell)

Daily Doubles
Ryan: 3400+2000
Sara: 9400-2000
Ryan: 15400-4000 (Justin 12200 & Sara 6600 at clue 29 with $2K remaining)

Coryats
Ryan: 14400
Sara: 8600
Justin: 12200

Combined: 35,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Ryan: 8200
Sara: 3000
Justin: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game had its moments. Ryan pulled off the imitation of Mr. Burns with his catchword and the skunkegory in TALKIN’ FOOTBALL was funny and sad at the same time. The players kept up the no-go on sports when they could not identify the BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES woman in the photo who won the 1957 Wimbledon.

ADJECTIVES $2000 went from a neg across the board to just a +2K for Justin.
The clue: If you can’t pay certain fees, a court may declare you this synonym for needy
J: destitute
R: penniless
S: impoverished
A: indigent

Ryan took himself out of the lead on DD3 when even with $2K on the board at clue 30 he could have insured that he had the lead. It worked out fine for him with the sole solve of the FJ! clue and his misspelling of the name was close enough.

I copied Sara’s line of thinking in taking “jazz” in the clue to go too far back. Near the end of think time I was getting warmer as I thought of staying in the 1950s and that J! likes Ginsberg.

Ryan can claim the top spot on the TOC ladder with any kind of win tomorrow. A loss and he is still behind two players.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 pm

I copied Sara’s line of thinking in taking “jazz” in the clue to go too far back. Near the end of think time I was getting warmer as I thought of staying in the 1950s and that J! likes Ginsberg.
It was Ginsberg who described Kerouac's style as "spontaneous bop prosody". The word "authors", though, in the category led me to favor Kerouac.
I'm smart and I want respect.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Lefty wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 pm

It was Ginsberg who described Kerouac's style as "spontaneous bop prosody". The word "authors", though, in the category led me to favor Kerouac.
The word "prose" suggested to me Kerouac.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 pm The game had its moments. Ryan pulled off the imitation of Mr. Burns with his catchword and the skunkegory in TALKIN’ FOOTBALL was funny and sad at the same time. The players kept up the no-go on sports when they could not identify the BLACK HISTORY NOTABLES woman in the photo who won the 1957 Wimbledon.
I felt a little vindicated when I managed to pull both the Wimbledon winner and the Peary co-explorer after coming across both of them during readings/study...

... and then embarrassed that even after 2 years living in MSP I couldn't conjure Purple People Eaters (which I thought was the general name for Viking fans, and not a historic part of the team).
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

So Ryan continues with the bad DD betting - but still came out on top. Some folks have all the luck.

But, it will be interesting to see if he learned from a near disaster if the situation presents itself in future games.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 pm I copied Sara’s line of thinking in taking “jazz” in the clue to go too far back. Near the end of think time I was getting warmer as I thought of staying in the 1950s and that J! likes Ginsberg.
I knew Fitz was long dead in 58, but hadn't the slightest clue who else it could be. I said Williams, just to say something (yes, I know he isn't an author). Wouldn't have got to Kerouac with 50 guesses.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I know I shouldn't laugh at the contestants but that football category had me rolling. 'Option' for 200 was kinda mean, but Landry -> Cowboys a stand-and-stare? I knew we were in for some comedy. I had Purple People Eaters 3 seconds into the $1000 clue, and I knew there was no way in hell they were going to get it, then Alex literally says what I was thinking and I was doubled over. I'm so glad we didn't run out of time in that round :lol:

I didn't recognize the essay, and couldn't think of a jazz term, but jazz -> music made me think of beat, and my default Beat author is Kerouac. That can't have been the right way to solve that clue (I'm sure the term prdates 1958), but I'll take it.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

One of these times my go-to author when I don't have any better idea, J.D. Salinger, will pay off. Not tonight though. At least the time frame could work, but given his reclusiveness I wasn't convinced he was the type to write (and publish) essays. Vonnegut was my backup. Never would have guessed Kerouac, although he makes perfect sense in hindsight.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I was booing my TV by the time we got past the Landry clue in the football category. Come on, that's a gimme!

Sports-likers have such an amazing opportunity to clean up if they get a sports category. The questions are almost always easy and your fellow contestants probably wouldn't recognize a football.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

BTW, when's the last time we had an entire stand-and-stare category? I feel like it was recent-ish.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $38,000
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: the entire Talkin' Football category, Althea Gibson, Matthew Henson, atomic clock (DD), nonpartisan, Ugly Betty (DD), thirtysomething

It's always interesting to see a game like tonight's, where all three players look relatively strong but there is a lot of LT. Maybe it was just similar strengths and weaknesses among the contestants.

"Jazz" led to me to Fitzgerald, even though I was pretty sure he was dead long before 1958 (turns out he died in 1940). Kerouac crossed my mind very briefly, but I didn't make the jazz-beat connection strongly enough to make the switch.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I'll be checking the box in this week's poll that says I collected $3,000 lach trash in Talkn' Football.
After the first stand and stare, I resorted to merely writing the answer down on my LT column as Alex read each clue, rather than waiting to see if any contestant got it.

Another (big) overbet from Ryan on Final. Wondering if he pulled a wheelhouse category or is just getting greedy as his game experience increases.

Was there a scoring glitch in Sara's display screen just before they went to break for FJ? When I wrote down the scores to tabulate wagering, I had her score as $8600 instead of $6600. It's always a challenge to get all three scores written down in the brief camera shot of the scores before Alex announces the Final Category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Amuse bouche" seemed nearly Liederkranz level obscure for the top box. I can't believe ANYone knew that, especially since it has zero other hits in the archive. and "hors d'oevures" seemed like a perfectly cromulent neg. Can we poll it?

Honestly, I didn't recognize anything in that Easy Course Load category at all. HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ALL THIS FANCY CRAP?!

The football category was a hoot. I thought "option play" was a very obscure start, so I can understand the performance there.

If you don't know the word "patronus", then that could be ANY title character.

None of the words in this FJ! meant anything to me. Could be anyone for all I know.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ALL THIS FANCY CRAP?!
Look at my .signature. The second quote in particular. (The first quote is my response about Ryan's performance)

Amazement at the football category response also. I at least knew that Landry was the Cowboys! (The rest were stand and stare from me as well, though.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with Ginsberg for FJ, then realized they seemed to have prose in mind rather than poetry, and switched to Kerouac in time.

The wagering vikings are going to have a heart attack over Ryan's bet on DD3 (vikings emphatically not being capitalized here).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:39 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:29 pm HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW ALL THIS FANCY CRAP?!
Look at my .signature. The second quote in particular.
And where is knowing "amuse bouche" EVER going to help anyone in life?
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I like most sports, except football. If I had remembered a certain Simpsons episode, I would have gotten the Cowboys. If I had been on that show Alex would be dead because I did get the last one. I did not know FJ , so my answer would have to be Kebert Xela.