Wednesday FJ (and one Thursday) extended poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

The Ore-Ida Poll

I got Wednesday's Ore-Ida clue correct
84%
I figured out the correct response before Alex had finished reading the clue
53%
I did not know the origin of the name "Ore-Ida" before seeing Wednesday's game
47%
I'm familiar with the brand Ore-Ida
92%
I'm familiar with the brand Ore-Ida (and I've never been a resident of the US)
5%
I have probably had an Ore-Ida product in my freezer within the last year
38%
I at least know what Tater Tots® are, even if I did not realize that the name is a trademark of Ore-Ida
76%
I suspect I have eaten my weight in tater tots
38%
If on Wednesday someone had offered me half a tater tot as an "amuse-bouche" I would have been familiar with that term (amuse-bouche, not tater tot)
64%

Total votes: 96

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Wednesday FJ (and one Thursday) extended poll

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wednesday's FJ and a certain clue from Thursday seemed to generate a lot of discussion and curiosity. I thought it might be fun to have a more expansive set of questions than can be accommodated by the weekly poll.

I checked all the boxes except the one for non-US residents.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday FJ (and one Thursday) extended poll

Post by seaborgium »

I'm glad you didn't ask whether we got "amuse bouche," because I would have gotten it with more time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ore-Ida, correct. It was not instant because for some reason I thought of Smuckers, but O-I came about 5 seconds later.
Not familiar with the origin of the name, but I've never thought about it and haven't seen Ore-Ida stuff up close in decades.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thanks for posting this, Opus. I really don't mind additional polls like this. I was thinking about posting one myself.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wasn't aware of the name origin, but as soon as I saw the map, I made the connection. That wasn't the first time the obvious wasn't so.
In Orlando, there's a major thoroughfare called Semoran Blvd. I've lived in FL for 40-ish years and have driven on that road countless times. Finally a couple years ago, I made the connection that the road is called that because it runs between Seminole and Orange Counties. :)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Great extra poll! If I'd ever given it a second's thought, I might have figured out what Ore-Ida meant...the clue gave us all the chance to work it out in reverse...

There's at least one gourmet food truck in Manhattan - they make fancy grilled cheese sandwiches - that serves (what I've always presumed to be artisanal) tater tots as a side dish...I don't usually order them.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It certainly wasn't an Instaget for me as I initially focused on the fact that it was on the Snake River :oops: Then I next thought about Idaho and what it's known for, got to spuds and then it hit me like a freight train, still only partway through Think Music. Once I hit upon it, it was obvious, of course. :mrgreen:
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 pmIn Orlando, there's a major thoroughfare called Semoran Blvd. I've lived in FL for 40-ish years and have driven on that road countless times. Finally a couple years ago, I made the connection that the road is called that because it runs between Seminole and Orange Counties. :)
I know that road! And I live on the other side of the country. :shock: My wife's brother lives in the area, so whenever we fly there to visit him, we drive up Semoran Blvd to get from the airport to the northern 'burbs where he lives.

Interesting tidbit! Thank you.
--Peter
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I did not check the origin box although it's possible I've come across it prior to the J! episode. For me I saw the arrow, remembered the category and was done. In the 21st c. I have eaten Tater Tots while the majority of time I ate them was last century. Never enough to equal my weight though. Chocolate chip cookies on the other hand...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Oh Yeah. The poll.

I checked most of the boxes. Not foreign. Not a current consumer of Ore-Ida products. Never a big Tater Tot eater, although I have eaten some.
--Peter
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Tater Tots (or their generic counterparts) are some of the best potato-based foodstuffs in the world. I had some this morning.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"Amuse bouche" was the subject of a question on HQ today. I got it wrong.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I got the amuse bouche clue on Thursday, even though I don't know exactly what it is.
Knew the French translation and that it was an appetizer. That is all that mattered to me. :D
Douglas Squasoni
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I still feel kinda silly for not making the Oregon-Idaho connection before that FJ.

I've watched a lot of reality cooking competitions, so I've heard the term before, and while I didn't know the translated meaning of the term, it was an easy get with the clue spelling it out for us.

I mostly make my own potato dishes so I haven't eaten the frozen stuff in ages, but as a kid? Several times my weight :lol: :lol:

...and now I have a taste for Tater Tots again.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know what Ore-Ida is even though I don't like tater tots at all. I didn't make the connection to Oregon/Idaho so I was high and dry.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I got distracted toward a paper towel company or lumber based product until the missus said Idaho - potatoes. I think I'd have found my way there in the remaining 29 seconds so will check the box. Had no idea the name was a composite. I thought it was some person's name. Ixnay on amuse bouche, but I'm glad the contestant got it without negging on hors d'oevre or canape.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I know what a tater tot is but I've maybe had 3 in my life. I had never heard of the brand Ore-Ida in my life before that FJ. I felt like I was taking crazy pills reading how easily everyone else got it. I am the 4% so far.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

I checked all the boxes except for having had Ore-Ida products in my freezer in the last year. If I want Tater Tots (or as we know them in Canada, McCain Tasti Taters), I don't have to go to the States.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:57 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:08 pmIn Orlando, there's a major thoroughfare called Semoran Blvd. I've lived in FL for 40-ish years and have driven on that road countless times. Finally a couple years ago, I made the connection that the road is called that because it runs between Seminole and Orange Counties. :)
I know that road! And I live on the other side of the country. :shock: My wife's brother lives in the area, so whenever we fly there to visit him, we drive up Semoran Blvd to get from the airport to the northern 'burbs where he lives.

Interesting tidbit! Thank you.
I had a similar experience here in the Dallas area. For the first four years I lived here, I lived just off of Dalrock Road. It took about two of those years for me to figure out that it was so named because it runs between Dallas and Rockwall Counties.

Similarly, it wasn't until the first time I drove through Ontario, Oregon (the dot on the map shown in FJ!) that I understood the derivation of the Ore-Ida name.
Sprinkles are for winners.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Where's the box for "I have added tater tots to my shopping list due to the discussions on JBoard this week"?