Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:50 pm Jenny was so tickled to be playing, I couldn't help rooting for her!
This. Very much this. Looking forward to Monday.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 pm Ryan finishes with 33 negs in five games. (By comparison, Austin Rogers had 34 in his thirteen non-tournament games, according to the statistics on TJF.)
So it was too early for comparisons to Ken Jennings, but maybe not too early for comparisons to Austin Rogers. 8-)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

StevenH wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm I made the same mistake with the "Great Schism" response, but I was happy to get the bottom two clues in that category.
Yeah, that was kind of a dirty trick. I fell for it too. It didn't seem like "What is a schism?" without elaboration would be enough. The smart play, I realize too late, is to go with schism and make Alex drag the rest out of you. When he just says you're right, try to act like you knew it all along.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:03 pm
StevenH wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm I also couldn't believe that Billy Graham was a $2000 clue when spotted "Billy" and "evangelical."
That by itself wouldn't be enough to eliminate Billy Sunday.
Yep. Billy Sunday was my first thought--a reasonable guess for a $2000 clue. But the 1950 date set me straight pretty quickly. I might have rung in with the wrong response, but I'd have said the right one. (You know, if I didn't crack under the lights and guess "What is Portland?" or something.)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Alex seemed to be having a lot of fun this week. More droll comments as he kept the show moving along. Not that I recall them now.

I'll register my standard opinion that President Johnson needs a BMS. So does Roosevelt. So does Harrison. Do they BMS Harrison? I think they BMS Bush, as they should. Yes, it's obvious which Johnson when you're talking about impeachment. Yes, the contestants need to prove they know the obvious.

Got FJ off Woody Guthrie first, which seems to be the less common way so far. I knew he had a big Dust Bowl connection. Once I thought of Oklahoma, the Richard Rodgers angle was total confirmation. I had my response locked in before Alex stopped reading. I didn't even make myself keep thinking. Dangerous and foolish, but I didn't.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

StevenH wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm I made the same mistake with the "Great Schism" response, but I was happy to get the bottom two clues in that category.
I didn't think that Great Schism was right since Thomas Aquinas lived in the thirteenth century and that the Great Schism was in the eleventh century.
Yet the answer of just schism was bad enough, I was only thinking about a specific event and couldn't think of what else it could be.
Douglas Squasoni
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 pm
I didn't think that Great Schism was right since Thomas Aquinas lived in the thirteenth century and that the Great Schism was in the eleventh century.
In order to try to reconcile a schism, it must have happened already. :)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

ugh, totally missed the Rodgers connection, went with California.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm
String Me Along for $800 I got because I actually know how to play one of them. Anyone else?
Hillbilly picker here. I think two beginners can make more high quality sounding music with mandolin and guitar than any other instrument combos. I got it from the picture or the 4 pairs of strings. The Italian reference would have made me doubtful, but is obvious in hindsight.

I almost expected an announcement coming back from the FJ break that the judges had accepted 7 of Ryan's wrong answers and restored $47,000. He was fun to watch, but his thrill ride came at Nate's expense the other day and I did not want to see a replay in today's game with two deserving champion candidates. Maybe it's comeback fatigue - I'm already dreading Sunday when Brady and the referees do the Eagles in the last four minutes of Sunday. :cry:

Jenny was very fun to watch, especially when she carefully reconstructed the proverbs. I'm glad she won, even with the weird betting. Neither player was going to let Ryan off the hook for his chaotic play today. Even a sole solve won't rescue a loose cannon.

Picked New York as a 50/50/0 from the Woody Guthrie song and figured the New York Island over the Redwood forest.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I think I accidentally got today's FJ. I didn't know Guthrie was from Oklahoma but immediately thought of the Oklahoma town by that name for some reason. While I was thinking about the state, I then realized it made perfect sense for the Rodgers side of the clue so decided to go with it despite not being sure about the Guthrie connection.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Would "neo-natal" have worked in place of "midwife"?

Also, it's a rare game indeed when I get 2 geography LT (Berlin, Asuncion), 2 Music LT (Van Halen, Metallica), and even a FJ incorporating music and state knowledge. On the flip side, this is the first "Women Authors" category in a long time which I didn't sweep, and for that matter, didn't even get 4 correct in.

Props to Jenny; she looked like she was having even more fun than Ryan.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 pm Would "neo-natal" have worked in place of "midwife"?
I'd say no. Two different things. The nurse midwife would hand the baby off to the neo-natal nurse
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:00 am
IronNeck wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 pm Would "neo-natal" have worked in place of "midwife"?
I'd say no. Two different things. The nurse midwife would hand the baby off to the neo-natal nurse
Also, the word was supposed to go after "nurse". "Nurse neo-natal" makes no sense.
OCSam
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 pm
Yeah, that was kind of a dirty trick. I fell for it too. It didn't seem like "What is a schism?" without elaboration would be enough. The smart play, I realize too late, is to go with schism and make Alex drag the rest out of you. When he just says you're right, try to act like you knew it all along.
I’d like to see the wording of that question again. The East-West Schism of the 11th C is what is commonly referred to as the Grest Schism. It is sad indeed when a second place player makes a perfectly reasoned bet only to lose to a totally irrational bet from first. My path to FJ was from Woody Guthrie. My first thought was “he’s an Oklahoma native” and then Richard Rodgers clicked in.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woof wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:32 pm
I’d like to see the wording of that question again. The East-West Schism of the 11th C is what is commonly referred to as the Great Schism.
St. Thomas Aquinas died traveling to Lyon, France while attempting to heal this rift between the Latin & Greek churches
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 am
Woof wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am I’d like to see the wording of that question again. The East-West Schism of the 11th C is what is commonly referred to as the Great Schism.
St. Thomas Aquinas died traveling to Lyon, France while attempting to heal this rift between the Latin & Greek churches
Well that's just... odd. What was the basis for the neg? What rift between Latin and Greek churches do they think Aquinas was attempting to heal in 1274? One can quibble with his methods. Bringing a paper called Contra errores graecorum (Against the errors of the Greeks) might not have been the best approach. But there's no question he was addressing the 1054ff. East-West Schism aka the Great Schism.

Thanks, Woof, for asking for the wording. Thanks to Mark for providing it. I'm assuming this didn't affect the outcome of the game?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am It is sad indeed when a second place player makes a perfectly reasoned bet only to lose to a totally irrational bet from first.
A totally irrational wager that wins Jenny the game would have left her with $8,402 to $9,000. (I'd accept bumping the upper limit to $9,599 or $9,999 to account for strategies from Caitlin that don't completely ruin her chances of negging and still winning.) I'd say if she's not covering, she's best off betting less than $3,000. Certainly $1,101 is an unexpected wager, but given it guaranteed her victory in all W/R outcomes, I don't think we can call it "totally irrational."
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I had a feeling during the intros this would be Ryan's last game. He spent much of the J! round in the red, which coincided with his first game. As much as I liked to root for him, his inability to stay clam had me shaking my head in disgust many times.
Even though he had an outside chance of cheating elimination at the end of DJ, Caitlin slammed that door shut with a fine wager. Bravo.
xxaaaxx wrote: Not sure what that 1101 was meant to accomplish, seems like a strange number for an 'I hate this category'-type wager. At least, I hope that's why she bet so small. I guess we'll find out on Monday. Too bad Ryan couldn't be rewarded for the sole get, or Caitlin for the proper wager from 2nd.
MarkBarrett wrote: Jenny’s wager showed she was attempting to go to 14,001. She thought Caitlin was going to bet a pretty $5K? Caitlin played against Ryan’s doubling up and would have won if Jenny had made the traditional cover wager.
The extra dollar wouldn't really be needed, if that's what she was thinking and since a 5,000 wager doesn't make any strategic sense for Caitlin, it also demonstrates lack of strategy on Jenny's part. I'm glad the shortagy worked out for her but I would have also liked for Caitlin to be rewarded more than $1,000 for her smart bet. It will be interesting to see how Jenny wagers on Monday.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'm gonna miss getting to say "The airport?" during the contestant intros every day.

I tried attacking this FJ from the Guthrie angle first, but couldn't think of a Rodgers work relating to California or New York (not saying there aren't any). Once I switched, it came to me quickly.

My mandolin's a cheap A-style, not one-a them hoity-toity F-styles.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:48 pm 33 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: Edinburgh, (Berlin), Asuncion, Alberto Fujimori, (Loyola), Mother Cabrini, Xavier

Ran World Capitals.

On Daily Double Two, I also thought Santiago de Compostela until Alex said St. Ignatius, instantly switched to Loyola.

SdC is north of Portugal. I did get Loyola after I remembered that.