Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Ironhorse wrote: Ryan finishes with 33 negs in five games. (By comparison, Austin Rogers had 34 in his thirteen non-tournament games, according to the statistics on TJF.)
So it was too early for comparisons to Ken Jennings, but maybe not too early for comparisons to Austin Rogers. 8-)
A more telling stat would be during how many clues Ryan's score was in the red. He had several in each his first and fifth games. Also, he was in the red at some point in 4 out of his 5 games. I wonder if that could be a record for a 4X champion.
Paging cheezguyyty.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first thought was Oklahoma but also considered Tennessee as it also has more than one state song. Luckily, in an FK where you only have to write down two letters to get it right, you can have more than one response written down and cross off the wrong one and get it right.

I just said schism and thought I was wrong when great schism was negged and was surprised to be able to pick up some LT.

I enjoyed watching Jenny play. At first I thought she was just enjoying the women authors (she teaches literature), but she kept it going the whole time.

After Caitlin's interview, I was hoping we'd have "No Jack Work Makes Boy And Play A All Dull".

I don't see how you can praise Caitlin's wager and bash Jenny's. Jenny anticipated Caitlin would bet to stay ahead of Ryan and bet accordingly while also defending against Caitlin trying to top her by a dollar.

Ryan was fun to watch, but not keeping clam cost him. He also spent too much time calling for a clue at the end. If he had grabbed the unseen $400 in the flower category, he had have had a shot to win, or at least get second.

Just me, but I pronounce Xavier as "Ex-avier"
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:32 am Luckily, in an FK where you only have to write down two letters to get it right, you can have more than one response written down and cross off the wrong one and get it right.
Good point. What are the odds of someone misspelling two letters? ;)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I’m sure both are in use, but I have an acquaintance who pronounces her son Xavier’s name egg-ZAY-vee-er rather than ZAY-vee-er (and I know this because I’ve been corrected on it). How is the university pronounced?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nserven wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:40 am How is the university pronounced?
Z-sound.
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 pm Got FJ off Woody Guthrie first, which seems to be the less common way so far. I knew he had a big Dust Bowl connection. Once I thought of Oklahoma, the Richard Rodgers angle was total confirmation.
Same here. I've known about Oklahoma being Guthrie's
home state long before I moved to a city fifteen minutes from its border. I actually thought to myself briefly "what the hell does Richard Rodgers have to do with Oklahoma?" before doing a mental facepalm.
I would prefer not to.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:11 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 am
Woof wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am I’d like to see the wording of that question again. The East-West Schism of the 11th C is what is commonly referred to as the Great Schism.
St. Thomas Aquinas died traveling to Lyon, France while attempting to heal this rift between the Latin & Greek churches
Well that's just... odd. What was the basis for the neg? What rift between Latin and Greek churches do they think Aquinas was attempting to heal in 1274? One can quibble with his methods. Bringing a paper called Contra errores graecorum (Against the errors of the Greeks) might not have been the best approach. But there's no question he was addressing the 1054ff. East-West Schism aka the Great Schism.

Thanks, Woof, for asking for the wording. Thanks to Mark for providing it. I'm assuming this didn't affect the outcome of the game?
I also negged with Great Schism and expected there to be a reversal. Here's what Wikipedia says (on the Thomas Aquinas page):

In 1054 the Great Schism had occurred between the Latin Church following the Pope (known as the Roman Catholic Church) in the West, and the Patriarchate of Constantinople in the East (known as the Eastern Orthodox Church). Looking to find a way to reunite the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Gregory X convened the Second Council of Lyon to be held on 1 May 1274 and summoned Thomas to attend.[63] At the meeting, Thomas's work for Pope Urban IV concerning the Greeks, Contra errores graecorum, was to be presented.[64]
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $38,400
46 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Edinburgh, Berlin (DD), Asuncion, Alberto Fujimori, Loyola (DD), schism, Van Halen, Xavier

I thought it was pretty cool that for Alex to give a special shout-out to TPH in the FJ! intro. "It could be anything..."
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 pm (Later research shows that Guthrie was from Oklahoma, which may be why he's in the clue.)
I knew of a city called Guthrie in Oklahoma, don't think it's named for Woody, but after I gave Oklahoma as a response, I chastised myself as I thought that the Guthrie in the clue was throwing me off and making me think of Guthrie, Oklahoma. Fortunately, I couldn't replace it with anything.
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:11 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:37 am
Woof wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am I’d like to see the wording of that question again. The East-West Schism of the 11th C is what is commonly referred to as the Great Schism.
St. Thomas Aquinas died traveling to Lyon, France while attempting to heal this rift between the Latin & Greek churches
Well that's just... odd. What was the basis for the neg? What rift between Latin and Greek churches do they think Aquinas was attempting to heal in 1274? One can quibble with his methods. Bringing a paper called Contra errores graecorum (Against the errors of the Greeks) might not have been the best approach. But there's no question he was addressing the 1054ff. East-West Schism aka the Great Schism.

Thanks, Woof, for asking for the wording. Thanks to Mark for providing it. I'm assuming this didn't affect the outcome of the game?
So what was the official Jeopardy!-sanctioned answer to that/ I said "What's the Eastern Schism?" thinking the "Great" one was the Protestant-Catholic rift. Then when Great was negged Alex said he was correct that it was a schism, but not the Great one. So which schism was it, Alex? With your explanation worded like that, that tells me it was another schism, one that had a name. So, is the Jeopardy!-sanctioned answer just "schism"? Is my "Eastern Schism" wrong?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Last week there was an entire category about Will Rogers. Now there's a Final Jeopardy featuring "Oklahoma" as the correct response. Maybe my home state is finally creeping out of the obscurity of flyover country!

In case anyone wonders, the Oklahoma town of Guthrie (the state's original capital) was not named after Woody.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

pinkfreud wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:05 pm Last week there was an entire category about Will Rogers. Now there's a Final Jeopardy featuring "Oklahoma" as the correct response. Maybe my home state is finally creeping out of the obscurity of flyover country!
Next up, a clue about Fried Onion Burgers!
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

squarekara wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:39 pm
pinkfreud wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:05 pm Last week there was an entire category about Will Rogers. Now there's a Final Jeopardy featuring "Oklahoma" as the correct response. Maybe my home state is finally creeping out of the obscurity of flyover country!
Next up, a clue about Fried Onion Burgers!
Oh, my, yes! Kara, you are an honorary Okie!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

In case anyone wonders, the Oklahoma town of Guthrie (the state's original capital) was not named after Woody.
Since we are mining Guthrie trivia, the Kerr McGee plant where Karen Silkwood was contaminated with Plutonium and later died in a "suspicious" car accident was in Guthrie, OK. This may be the reason the name is familiar to non Okies. I actually toured the closed facility with my boss as a possible acquisition for my employer in the early '80s. No, we didn't buy it. And no, I didn't get this FJ. Congrats to all of you who got it by misdirection. ;)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

FJ was an instaget for me only because I missed it in September, turned around:

#7588, aired 2017-09-13 BROADWAY COMPOSERS $3,000 (Daily Double): He composed the music for Oklahoma's state song

I Kosman'd Hammerstein, forgetting he was the lyricist.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Ironhorse wrote: Ryan finishes with 33 negs in five games. (By comparison, Austin Rogers had 34 in his thirteen non-tournament games, according to the statistics on TJF.)
So it was too early for comparisons to Ken Jennings, but maybe not too early for comparisons to Austin Rogers. 8-)
A more telling stat would be during how many clues Ryan's score was in the red. He had several in each his first and fifth games. Also, he was in the red at some point in 4 out of his 5 games. I wonder if that could be a record for a 4X champion.
Paging cheezguyyty.
Here's every contestant since Season 13 who won at least 4 games during their original run* and was in the red for at least 18 clues:

Code: Select all

Clues in    Games
  Contestant           the Red     Won
------------------------------------------------
Jackie Harrison		  30	    4
Ryan Fenster		  28	    4
Jill Bunzendahl Chimka	  25	    4
Cindy Stowell		  25	    6
Deborah Fitzgerald	  23	    4
Rani Peffer		  20	    5
Kyle Becker		  19	    4
Stephen Weingarten	  18	    4
Brad Rutter		  18	    5
Michael Rooney		  18	    5
(* = except for Mark Lee and Lucien Schmit, who still have games yet to be Archived)

Since Season 13, only three contestants* have been in the red in at least four different regular-play games: Ken Jennings (4 out of 75 games), Buzzy Cohen (5 out of 10 games), and Ryan Fenster (4 out of 5 games).

[EDIT: (* = not counting Kevin Scott, Alex Boisvert, and Mark Lee, who each have four un-Archived games)]
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Brad Rutter? That's one name I didn't expect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 pm Got FJ off Woody Guthrie first, which seems to be the less common way so far. I knew he had a big Dust Bowl connection. Once I thought of Oklahoma, the Richard Rodgers angle was total confirmation. I had my response locked in before Alex stopped reading. I didn't even make myself keep thinking. Dangerous and foolish, but I didn't.
I went Guthrie -> Oklahoma (due to the coincidentally named former capital) and then Oklahoma -> Rodgers was easy confirmation.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Sorry, but as long as Oklahoma continues to sit next door to the Great State of Texas, it will forever live in obscurity.
JayBoston
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JayBoston »

You pronounce Xavier "Ecks-SAY-vier," and I pronounce quixotic "kee-hottic." To each his own.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

For the record: the College Championship had originally been scheduled to air beginning February 5, so Alex must have had to redo his closing remarks to remove any reference to Jenny waiting two weeks before defending her title.