The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Elijah Baley »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:22 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:08 am Here are the key points to know about Van Gogh:
1. Dutch, but did most of his best known paintings while living in France
2. Supported by his brother Theo
3. The Starry Night
4. Mentally unstable
5. cut off part of his ear after an argument with Paul Gauguin

Knowing those facts will lead you to most J! clues about him.
Good list. Probably worth adding Arles to point 1, and Sunflowers to point 3. Those seem to come up a lot too.
TPH should take a road trip to Chicago and go to the Art Institute. It has a wonderful collection of impressionist paintings - certainly all of the artists featured on Jeopardy. Not to mention a few other famous pieces, like "American Gothic" and "Nighthawks," that also come up from time to time.

Spend a little extra for an audio tour - which is completely self-controlled and self-paced - and I can't think of a more pleasant way to learn a little about a subject.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

"...But "hold court" should have led you TOWARDS a king."

I dunno... To me, "Hold court" means to be on the winning team in a pickup basketball game, holding your place on the court so you play another game.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm There's a "dynamic ribbon" in the Coca-Cola logo?! I thought it was just the name.
Most likely it's the thing under the Coca Cola name (that, yes, is part of the logo):

(or maybe it's the ribbon coming out of the bottom of the first capital C or out of the top of the second capital C. Thing's full of ribbons is the point here.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm There's a "dynamic ribbon" in the Coca-Cola logo?! I thought it was just the name.
Most likely it's the thing under the Coca Cola name (that, yes, is part of the logo):
Oh you mean it isn't this?

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Amuse bouche" has ZERO other hits in the archive. Someone explain to me why it's $200 level material even in the UTOC. And not just "Because I know it." I know what Vib-Ribbon is despite not even being a gamer and thus having no reason to -- does that mean it's $200 box material too?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I will grant that it was somewhat undervalued, but hardly capital crime level.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I agree with you on amuse bouche. That's not top row material by any measure.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I've never heard of amuse bouche either.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I have heard of amuse bouche, but I can see the argument for a higher value. Keep in mind that you could also solve this by translating from English to French with no idea of what the French phrase refers to. So that argues for a slightly lower value.
--Peter
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Just looking at the $200 and the $400, it seems to me that way more people would get the $400 than the $200 there.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:11 am I have heard of amuse bouche, but I can see the argument for a higher value. Keep in mind that you could also solve this by translating from English to French with no idea of what the French phrase refers to. So that argues for a slightly lower value.
Which requires you to know both of those words in French, which I bet most people do. It was WAY too easy to knee jerk "blah blah blah French word for a snack" = "Hors d'oevures".
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:11 am I have heard of amuse bouche, but I can see the argument for a higher value. Keep in mind that you could also solve this by translating from English to French with no idea of what the French phrase refers to. So that argues for a slightly lower value.
Which requires you to know both of those words in French, which I bet most people do. It was WAY too easy to knee jerk "blah blah blah French word for a snack" = "Hors d'oevures".
I'm pretty much with you. Hors d'oevures is definitely a negbait on that one. And no, most people aren't going to know French.

But if you are even a beginning a foodie, you will know amuse bouche. If you know a little bit of French, you could translate directly. That gives two easy (if you're familiar with either of those subjects, of course) and unrelated ways to get at the correct response. And that is always going to give a lower value to a clue.

(I'm not sure anyone has said it yet, but an amuse bouche is basically a small hors d'oevures. An hors d'oevures is one large or two small bites. An amuse bouche is one bite - no more. A subtle difference, to be sure. The tip off in the clue was some small piece of food that was cut in half.)
--Peter
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 am
I'm pretty much with you. Hors d'oevures is definitely a negbait on that one. And no, most people aren't going to know French.

But if you are even a beginning a foodie, you will know amuse bouche. If you know a little bit of French, you could translate directly. That gives two easy (if you're familiar with either of those subjects, of course) and unrelated ways to get at the correct response. And that is always going to give a lower value to a clue.

(I'm not sure anyone has said it yet, but an amuse bouche is basically a small hors d'oevures. An hors d'oevures is one large or two small bites. An amuse bouche is one bite - no more. A subtle difference, to be sure. The tip off in the clue was some small piece of food that was cut in half.)
Taken from Wikipedia, but this has always been my understanding of the difference as well: Amuse-bouches are different from appetizers in that they are not ordered from a menu by patrons but are served gratis and according to the chef's selection alone.
davey

Post by davey »

I used to read restaurant reviews avidly. I've always understood amuse-bouche to be a bite, chosen by the chef and presented by a fine restaurant before the meal. Another important aspect is that there's no charge for it. But yes, except for the "translation," the clue could have fit hors d'oeuvre as well.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:04 pm

I used to read restaurant reviews avidly. I've always understood amuse-bouche to be a bite, chosen by the chef and presented by a fine restaurant before the meal. Another important aspect is that there's no charge for it. But yes, except for the "translation," the clue could have fit hors d'oeuvre as well.
Yeah, not top box material. I finally remembered the term I meant to say for "hors d'oevre". That is "canape", and if I'd remembered it I might have Wagged it for an FJ and thought it was the best WAG of all time. This clue needed to be turned around and let people figger out what it represents. You might have some fun answers coming from a French "mouth pleaser". :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 pm So what could I have even GUESSED at this point if the right answer wasn't within a lightyear of me?
Any channel. Any. Pick one. From PBS to ESPN any of them could be seen to have some logic, no matter how faulty, to it as a guess.

Instead of 0 for 2018, and nothing in the clue meaning anything and the standard no guess whatsoever do something different. Use the opportunity the FJ! round presents to have something. Every other person in the thread whether correct or incorrect will have a guess for the clue. Except you.

The fact that you had no chance to get it right does not matter. You are allowed to guess. Last week was pick a state. It's a 1 in 50. Go for it. Misses are part of the game.

You fail to get it that any of 900, 90, or 9 channels you can name are far superior to the nightly blank page.

Post, "I had CMT." Post, "I had Animal Planet." It would be an improvement.

Argue away as expected.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:54 pm So what could I have even GUESSED at this point if the right answer wasn't within a lightyear of me?
Any channel. Any. Pick one. From PBS to ESPN any of them could be seen to have some logic, no matter how faulty, to it as a guess.

Instead of 0 for 2018, and nothing in the clue meaning anything and the standard no guess whatsoever do something different. Use the opportunity the FJ! round presents to have something. Every other person in the thread whether correct or incorrect will have a guess for the clue. Except you.

The fact that you had no chance to get it right does not matter. You are allowed to guess. Last week was pick a state. It's a 1 in 50. Go for it. Misses are part of the game.

You fail to get it that any of 900, 90, or 9 channels you can name are far superior to the nightly blank page.

Argue away as expected.
What's the point of guessing if I'm wrong regardless?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guessed QVC. I was wrong, but I lived to tell about it.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Argue away as expected.
Assume there are 1000 channels. If you guess you have a 1/1000 chance of getting it right.

If you leave your answer blank, you have a 0 in 1000 chance of getting it right.

If you'd like, I can demonstrate the math as to how 1/1000 is greater than 0/1000.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Argue away as expected.
Because one day you might be RIGHT!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)