Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:35 pm For the record: the College Championship had originally been scheduled to air beginning February 5, so Alex must have had to redo his closing remarks to remove any reference to Jenny waiting two weeks before defending her title.
Since it's elimination of something, they could have simply cut it and ran longer credits (I'm sure any comments would be pretty short) or added some tidbit to an interview to get back to the scheduled run time. Probably all done in the edit bay.
--Peter
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

First of all, I think they have to have Ryan back.
There are two different schisms that are referred to sometimes as great schisms. 1054, with the mutual excommunications (partly justified by Filioque) and the schism of the 14th century which was a schism based on two claimants to the papacy
The clue was the rift between Latin and Greek churches
Great Schism is right
He comes back
Last edited by JyV92 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:09 pm
pinkfreud wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:05 pm Last week there was an entire category about Will Rogers. Now there's a Final Jeopardy featuring "Oklahoma" as the correct response. Maybe my home state is finally creeping out of the obscurity of flyover country!
Sorry, but as long as Oklahoma continues to sit next door to the Great State of Texas, it will forever live in obscurity.
I've got to defend Oklahoma, my southern neighbor. It's gotten a lot better now since that family moved from Oklahoma to Texas and raised the IQ in both states :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JyV92 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 pm First of all, I think they have to have Ryan back.
There are two different schisms that I referred to some times as great schisms. 1054, with the mutual excommunications (partly justified by Filioque) and the schism of the 14th century which was a schism based on two claimants to the papacy
The clue was the rift between Latin and Greek churches
Great Schism is right
He comes back
I agree. With the extra $2400 from a proper ruling, Ryan would have had enough to win the game on his sole get. At least potentially. It's always possible he would've gone extra-wimpy on his second DD bet and still been locked out. But a) I doubt it, and b) that shouldn't be a consideration when deciding to bring someone back. With the correct ruling, Ryan had a path to victory. Without it, he didn't. Bring Ryan back!
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

John Boy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:09 pm
pinkfreud wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:05 pm Last week there was an entire category about Will Rogers. Now there's a Final Jeopardy featuring "Oklahoma" as the correct response. Maybe my home state is finally creeping out of the obscurity of flyover country!
Sorry, but as long as Oklahoma continues to sit next door to the Great State of Texas, it will forever live in obscurity.
It's all in your perspective. Me 'n' my fellow Okies sometimes refer to Texas as "Baja Oklahoma."
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

Definitely agree that Great Schism should have been accepted. Can a player challenge a ruling months after the taping, or is discretion left solely to the producers?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It sounds like TPTB reconsidered their ruling on "Great Schism"; someone posted last week on the J! Facebook page saying they attended a taping in which Ryan was back. It'll air in July.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 pm It sounds like TPTB reconsidered their ruling on "Great Schism"; someone posted last week on the J! Facebook page saying they attended a taping in which Ryan was back. It'll air in July.
The eternal question...do I recalculate my score or no?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If he gets credit for Great Schism to begin with and then goes all in on the last DD, he has $8,400 going into FJ. Still in third place, but much closer. Who knows what he would have bet. No guarantee he would have won.

Getting wrongly negged may turn out to have worked in his favor.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 pm It sounds like TPTB reconsidered their ruling on "Great Schism"; someone posted last week on the J! Facebook page saying they attended a taping in which Ryan was back. It'll air in July.
Sweet! I like to think they read our comments.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:36 am If he gets credit for Great Schism to begin with and then goes all in on the last DD, he has $8,400 going into FJ. Still in third place, but much closer. Who knows what he would have bet. No guarantee he would have won.

Getting wrongly negged may turn out to have worked in his favor.
Definitely possible. But he did bet the full $2000 on that final DD, even though he only had $1400. That suggests some situational awareness. He knows he needs to go big or he's going home. That suggests he'd have made the proper FJ wager to win on a sole solve. And other things being equal, with credit for "schism," he only needed to wager $151 on that final DD to be in contention going into FJ. (Unless I screwed up the math again.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

But if he is at $8,400 going into FJ, he has both of the others’ MSBIW beat, so he might bet zero.

But I don’t have a problem with him coming back as the leader might have bet differently with two players to worry about.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bumping this thread since I'm apparently not the only one who was hibernating when seaborgium posted this tidbit.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

For the record, I remember this post, and I definitely seem to recall that audience member not actually mentioning Ryan by name in the post.

In fact, I spent the better part of three months thinking it was Lane Flynn coming back over the Apple founder brouhaha.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 am
For the record, I remember this post, and I definitely seem to recall that audience member not actually mentioning Ryan by name in the post.

In fact, I spent the better part of three months thinking it was Lane Flynn coming back over the Apple founder brouhaha.
Eventually they (we?) wrung it out of the poster (and then once he named names, he said too much and I had to advise him to delete comments and he obliged). For what it's worth, though, I have encouraged Lane to stay in contact with TPTB over that issue, using the Leslie Burns-Dell'Acqua example of having a protest initially blown off by TPTB then accepted.