Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2017-18 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 12/19 episode had a textbook example of RTFQ:
Spoiler
$7,000 and all lifelines available for Kaushik Tota

Next:
Spoiler
That moment when it's too late Chris emphasizes, "NOT."
Correct answer:
Spoiler
C: 3x cups = 1 gallon
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Could anyone tell me the name of the contestants or the original air date of the episode that ran on Thursday Dec. 29? I saw the ep while waiting at the dentist and there was a question I wanted to look at again, but I can't remember what it was.

ETA: The Q I was trying to remember was:

When American astronauts call Earth from the International Space Station, their phone number shows up as area code 281, the same as what U.S. city?
A: San Francisco B: Pittsburgh
C: Houston D: Milwaukee

Contestant was David Jackson, episode aired in the second slot on September 14, 2017.

Correct response is
Spoiler
C. Houston.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Fellow frustrated aspirants like myself will be gratified to know WWTBAM has been renewed for the 2018-2019 season. The linked article seems to assume that taping will continue to be in Las Vegas. Which is good for me, because from Chicago, air fares are just as good to LAS as to just about anywhere else.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/who-wants-t ... 202244791/
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Steve Stoffle: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10505 (make sure you see how he lost on J!) was on the January 23 show.  This question got a laugh as soon as it was revealed:
Spoiler
$20,000
The audience and the host reacted in knowing Steve did not look like the typical Snoop fan.
Next:
Spoiler
Steve had all lifelines available the audience gave him stairs.
Next:
Spoiler
Not all contestants would take that margin on the audience polling, but Steve did and saw the $30,000 question.
It was lifeline time again with his nephew.
Next:
Spoiler
They went for C:Deepest gorges.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was A: Longest rivers, so Steve left with $5,000 and the 50:50 unused.
Next:
Spoiler
Next up was Kat Deabill: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9224 to make the show a J! alum special.  She used her first lifeline on the $5,000 question:

Next:
Spoiler
The ATA gave her 62% for the correct (Judy Blume was 29%) answer, Beverly Cleary.  Kat will return tomorrow to see the $7,000 question and her +1 & 50:50 remaining.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Budphrey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:46 pm Fellow frustrated aspirants like myself will be gratified to know WWTBAM has been renewed for the 2018-2019 season. The linked article seems to assume that taping will continue to be in Las Vegas. Which is good for me, because from Chicago, air fares are just as good to LAS as to just about anywhere else.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/who-wants-t ... 202244791/
You and me Buddy. Next year in Vegas.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kat Deabill continued play on the January 24 episode:
Spoiler
$7,000
Spoiler

Next:
Spoiler
She used the 50:50 and it left the diamond necklace & the fur coat.
Next:
Spoiler
Kat locked in fur coat.
Next:
Spoiler
$10,000
Next:
Spoiler
Kat locked in Fire a shot in the Civil War.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was Ride a leg of the Pony Express.  Kat left with $5,000 and her +1 unused. Next up was Amy Paull: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7885

She used her +1 husband and the 50:50 on this $30,000 question.
Spoiler

Next:
Spoiler
The 50:50 left Robert Kennedy & Malcolm X.
Next:
Spoiler
Amy and her husband went for Malcolm X in thinking Robert Kennedy was campaigning and in the 1960s that did not go on year-round, so not winter.
Next:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
Amy strongly considered Texas thinking its population was 30+ million.  She decided to walk with $30,000.  The correct answer was The country of Poland with 37.95 million.

The other answers using a Google search of ___ population
Texas: 27.86 million
Taiwan: 23.55
Mumbai: 18.41
There was a promo for next week with celebrities: Penn & Teller, Robin Leach, Cindy Williams & Wayne Newton.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Spoiler
TPiR: Bob Barker hosted at that time, and eventually would sign off his shows with the request that we spay and neuter our pets, so the prize with the dead animal would be the ironic one.

April 1860: Civil War was the first thing to pop out at me, but on further reflection, I realized that although the war did start in April, that wasn't until the following year. The only choice where the weight seemed relevant was riding on the Pony Express.

Winter assassination: I first thought JFK, but November isn't winter, despite my opinion that seasons begin before their respective solstices or equinoxes. So JFK was November, RFK was June, and MLK was April. I didn't know when Malcolm X was killed, but the other three were ruled out.

38 Million population: I thought California's population might be close to that, and it's got more than any other state, so that ruled out Texas. As for cities, I was sure Seoul has the most with some tens of millions [edit: I was wrong; Seoul's #3 among urban populations, behind Tokyo and Jakarta], and I didn't think Mumbai would be all that close behind. That left the two countries, and I went for the one that felt larger to me, which was Poland. But that's me lucking out from home; I only felt reasonably sure about eliminating Texas.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The last question of the January 26 episode:
Spoiler

Ashley Star was picked from the audience to play one question for $1,000 since there was not enough time to start play with a regular contestant.
:o I have no words.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Instantly knew both Calvin Coolidge and Polo.

On the Calvin Coolidge question, when the audience percentages showed up, said to myself, "Uh Oh".
United States Sesquicentennial: 1926
Calvin Coolidge president from 1923-1929.
Easy question for me, very difficult for many others.
Douglas Squasoni
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 pm The last question of the January 26 episode:
Spoiler

Ashley Star was picked from the audience to play one question for $1,000 since there was not enough time to start play with a regular contestant.
I'm an A rundler, and had to look up this answer. I don't think this is that well-known anymore.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:29 am On the Calvin Coolidge question, when the audience percentages showed up, said to myself, "Uh Oh".
United States Sesquicentennial: 1926
Calvin Coolidge president from 1923-1929.
Easy question for me, very difficult for many others.
The question didn't say it was the president at the time. But Harding was dead, and Hoover and FDR had yet to be elected.

I did very briefly wonder if it was a trick question because Hoover was Secretary of Commerce at the time, but figured the writers wouldn't be that cruel.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Whiz Kid Henry Huschke used his first lifeline on this question in the Feb. 5 episode:
Spoiler
$20,000
Next:
Spoiler
Next:
Spoiler
Henry went with the audience.  Blitzen, Comet, Cupid, Dancer, Dasher, Donner (Milionaire don't play that Donder reindeer game), Prancer, Rudolph, Vixen.  He left with $5,000 and his +1, 50:50 and Cut unused.
This is the third Whiz Kids Week of the season so far?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

You shouldn't really use the Ask the Audience lifeline so soon on a question that takes time to think about. I Really hoped that Henry would get farther.
I got every single question right in today's episode.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Amelia Hershberger: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=10388  was on and this is the last question she saw on the Feb. 14th episode:
Spoiler
$50,000
Next:
Spoiler
The +1 was her husband and between them they felt Cronkite had not announced a time with the odd number times having :15 or :45.  They considered guessing although with no lifelines remaining they agreed on walking with $30,000.
Next:
Spoiler
The correct answer was B: 1:00 P.M. and the one Amelia would have guessed.
I thought it was a great $50,000 question as some would know it, some would guess it, some would use lifelines and many would be in a tough spot even if they had seen/heard the clip many times over the years. I was in the know it category as I have seen/read enough things over the years.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:18 pm The last question of the January 26 episode:
Spoiler

I'm an A rundler, and had to look up this answer. I don't think this is that well-known anymore.
Check out the image in post 17 of the February 14, 2018 regular game thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4562#p273651

Is it familiar for the song that goes with it? It made laugh with fond memories. Of course I'm just a B rundler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mah_N%C3%A0_Mah_N%C3%A0
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I have no idea who those muppets are. I think that for people under 40, muppets who weren't prominently on Sesame Street are really obscure.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:21 am I have no idea who those muppets are. I think that for people under 40, muppets who weren't prominently on Sesame Street are really obscure.
I think I remember them from Sesame Street...
Last edited by Volante on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:21 am I have no idea who those muppets are. I think that for people under 40, muppets who weren't prominently on Sesame Street are really obscure.
I'm 23, not good at pop culture, and I knew it immediately.
davey

Post by davey »

Even if you don't know it, you only have to guess which movie would start out self-referentially. There's one title that lends itself to that. The contestant picked the title least likely.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

It's a good week for former J! contestants on Millionaire - Guy Jordan, Sara Lehmann, and Keith Williams are on. I'd post the preview, but it has a pretty big spoiler.