Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 32, W: 4 costing 2200
Coryat: 20,200
FJ: :(
DD: 0/3
LT: unknown, Sea-Tac, Diamondbacks

The J! round seemed like child's play today. Ran Mr. Rogers and "BB", 4/5 in Medicine and Memorials. I'm rather surprised that the whole board wasn't revealed. Certainly before the interviews, the round was going very quickly - right answer, next clue. Only two TS clues in the whole round. I guess Mr. Rogers ran a bit slow since there were a lot of videos to watch.

DJ was much harder for me. Ran Brit Speak, but got skunked in Pirates and women. Six TS clues hinted that it was harder for the players as well.

FJ wasn't happening. Whatever the category is called that is furthest from a wheelhouse, this was it. I recognized the names Plato and Socrates, and know that they were contemporaries. And that's about it. Guessed "changing" simply to get in the habit of writing down something.

I'm not sure I understand Quin's wager in FJ. Assuming Sean will make the standard wager to cover, Quin would want to wager less than 200 to stay ahead of him if both miss. He could wager 7801 to stay ahead of Nabila if both were right. But he'd still need a miss from Sean AND he'd have to get it right to win, so that's not really a good wager amount. Apparently, he wagered to get ahead of Sean if Sean wagered nothing. That's a pretty low probability outcome. (Although given the category, a zero wager by Sean would not be entirely crazy.) With our unlimited amount of time to think, I think I'd go for the 199 wager in Quin's shoes, especially if the category is not a promising one for me.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I may have vaguely heard of that work, but it was never coming to me. I joined Nabila and probably a few others on here in putting down Republic just to have something even though we all had little hope it was right.

A zero bet from Quin would have put him at risk of being passed by Nabilia.

Congrats to Sean on another win and for sneaking in the free plug for your boss.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Symposium here, likely only because one of my roommates read that last semester. Sad part to all of this is I have Great Dialogues of Plato on my desk, with Apology literally on the cover of the book. Just haven't read it yet. Grr.

I only got SeaTac because of Ryan. I agree with others that Despacito and Edison were tremendously overvalued at the bottom of the board (don't forget that with Edison we were spotted Menlo Park and the building with the giant lightbulb on the top).
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Add me to the list of The Republic (even though I was 100% certain it was wrong). Never heard of the correct response.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Another for Symposium, a toss up with Republic, the only 2 titles I could recall

As noted above, it does seem strange that Altered Carbon would be clued 2-3 months ago when I only just heard of it. A similar prospective type clue happened when The Monuments Men film was coming out - was a stand and stare or missed DD

NHO Calexico

Jean Lafitte was tough IMO. Amazing how Nabila pulled that out

The Dick test, huh? That was an odd clue, and sorry to miss it because I had scarlet fever as a kid

Weird that Johnny pronounced Cherry Hill, NJ as Kerry Hill. Don't think he did that last night

Read on Reddit that Sean and Nabila were in the same audition group in NYC in July (not my group)
davey

Post by davey »

My only problem with the FJ was fretting whether it should be "The Apology," The "Apology," or just Apology, while knowing of course that none of that would matter, and ending up at the single word....Then knowing that I would never have come up with the apparent "preferred" answer "Apologia"...made me feel a little inadequate. Now after reading the thread I feel a little smug... :P No particular study of Plato, the clue just brought forth the title.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I don't recall ever hearing of the Apologia. I was fairly certain that Ovid wrote the Metamorphoses, but that was all I had.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Another miss for FJ here. I'm no expert in philosophy, but I've heard of a lot of the major works and can give you the basics. NHO "Apology".
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm sure I've heard of Plato's Apology at some point, but it definitely wasn't coming tonight.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:01 pm I don't recall ever hearing of the Apologia. I was fairly certain that Ovid wrote the Metamorphoses, but that was all I had.
This. Having dismissed Symposium and Republic as inapt answers, and not recalling any other of his works, I went for Metamorphosis. This was an odd game for me, with more missed clues toward the top of the board than on bottom row clues.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

I have a friend who's a professor of philosophy. I posted the FJ clue on his FB wall and he came up with the response "The Apology". Surely that would have been accepted?
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Hi guys, first time posting. I get the sense I'll be around here a fair bit; I've been training a lot, trying to bump up my Coryats, and discovering the discussion here has been really helpful to that end.

I'm a philosophy student. One of my bigger Jeopardy-related fears is going on the show and completely blowing a philosophy question. So Final tonight made me a little uneasy. I was stuck on Plato's Laws at first, the title of which sort of fits the clue, but I eventually pulled up the right answer. My sense is that in popular consciousness the Apology is probably the second most famous dialogue, behind Republic (maybe behind Symposium as well); it's Socrates's speech to the jury when he's on trial...

My best game in a while tonight, Coryat around 29,000. Average for me at this point is around 21,000 maybe. (I score much better at the more academic Jeopardy! games of 15 years ago, but that's life.) The three I got wrong: I said "readability" for the J! Daily Double, which almost works but is one too many letters; I said Antique Roadshow instead of Antiques Roadshow. Guessed "Dodgers" because they were the only "D" MLB team I could think of in three seconds.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Woof wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 pm
teapot37 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:01 pm I don't recall ever hearing of the Apologia. I was fairly certain that Ovid wrote the Metamorphoses, but that was all I had.
This. Having dismissed Symposium and Republic as inapt answers, and not recalling any other of his works, I went for Metamorphosis.
I was trying to decide between Metamorphosis and Metamorphoses. At least I'm in good company.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Requesting a poll option on how many got "Riverworld" for the $2000 clue in the "More than One Life to Live" category.

Philip Jose Farmer is one of my absolute favorite writers and that is his most famous work, but when I saw that clue, I was 99% certain it would be a LT, and I would expect very few people here to get it.

Anyways, fun game. Sean continues playing well. Also, that FJ was challenging; I've read the translation of a number of Plato works, but I couldn't quite get it in time.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

there is no doubt that philip jose farmer's "riverworld" series was his best work. it's the story about how every adult who ever lived on earth is resurrected on another planet, where a single river flows and zig-zags all around it. some major characters include sir richard francis burton (the guy who discovered the source of the nile), alice pleasance liddle hargreaves (the "alice" of lewis carroll's books), herman goering, samuel clemens, king john, cyrano de bergerac, jack london, tom mix, and so many more (real and fictional), including one "peter jairus frigate" (who is probably farmer himself).

farmer's original series was four novels, the last of which left the door open for another. he eventually wrote a fifth, which also left a clue. in the '90s, two more books were published. each was a collection of riverworld-type short stories written by a host of science fiction authors, who all wanted to be in on the action.

there were two made-for-tv movies on sci-fi channel, neither of which were any good.

quite frankly, i wasn't surprised that the clue was a triple-stumper. it is, after all, science fiction.
davey

Post by davey »

SavoyGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 am I have a friend who's a professor of philosophy. I posted the FJ clue on his FB wall and he came up with the response "The Apology". Surely that would have been accepted?
I believe that's the common way of referring to it, after "Plato's Apology". It wouldn't matter if the article was "wrong," anyway, since initial articles are discounted in J!.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I knew the Farmer book, and I'm surprised they asked about it; I would have thought it was too obscure to be Jeopardy material. I don't know any of the other works in that category, but I was able to figure out dark matter.

I couldn't decide between "Apology" and "Apologia". I guess it wouldn't have mattered.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 pm Tally up another for The Republic. 99% sure it was incorrect but nothing else came to mind.
Absolutely the same result here. I vaguely remember hearing about "Apologia" but couldn't remember it in 30 seconds of think music.

I wonder what's gotten into the writers. This one went beyond YEKIOYD to AYFKM?!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

It was a fun group of contestants - I would love to see an "Enunciation Off" between Sean and Nabila.

No clue on FJ - probably couldn't have come up with it in a month of Sundays. Maybe if they referenced Edith Piaf's version of the speech ... :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 am Requesting a poll option on how many got "Riverworld" for the $2000 clue in the "More than One Life to Live" category.

Philip Jose Farmer is one of my absolute favorite writers and that is his most famous work, but when I saw that clue, I was 99% certain it would be a LT, and I would expect very few people here to get it.
That was a tough category. I know I got the $400 clue, but the only other one I remember getting was "Cloud Atlas" at $1600 since that's one of my favorite books and I love David Mitchell.