The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by mikebdoss »

Even with a random guess, there were a few tips for narrowing it down:

“You need us…for everything you do” was a slogan used by this channel, one of the first to customize content by location

"One of the first" points to a channel that's been around a long time. You're probably too young to remember, but even 20 years ago, there were considerably fewer channels than there are now. Not as helpful if you don't know that TWC is one of the oldest dedicated cable channels, but still a hint.

"Customize content by location", for me, points to either news, weather or sports - those are the types of things that are much more location-dependent than other television programming. My original guess was CNN, then I switched to TWC when I read the "You need us..." slogan - the "need" implies something more important than cable news or sports scores.

It's always worth it to take a guess in Final Jeopardy, because you're going to be wrong if you put down nothing, and you have a chance of being right if you put even a WAG.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The thing is, none of the words steered me in any direction whatsoever. I didn't know that ANY networks customize content by location.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 am The thing is, none of the words steered me in any direction whatsoever. I didn't know that ANY networks customize content by location.
You didn't have to know that, because that information was right there in the clue. What you had to do was take that new information and figure out why content would need to be customized by location. My first thought was that cable providers' offerings varied from market to market, and so the TV Guide Channel would have to customize its listings. But that didn't sit right with me, and I tried to think of something else that varied from place to place that pertained to cable TV, and weather was it.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 pm If you'd like, I can demonstrate the math as to how 1/1000 is greater than 0/1000.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 am The thing is, none of the words steered me in any direction whatsoever. I didn't know that ANY networks customize content by location.
You didn't have to know that, because that information was right there in the clue. What you had to do was take that new information and figure out why content would need to be customized by location. My first thought was that cable providers' offerings varied from market to market, and so the TV Guide Channel would have to customize its listings. But that didn't sit right with me, and I tried to think of something else that varied from place to place that pertained to cable TV, and weather was it.
I did try to take those pieces, and no matter how much smoke came out of my cranium, I couldn't think of ANYTHING that fit. Hence my blank.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 am
I did try to take those pieces, and no matter how much smoke came out of my cranium, I couldn't think of ANYTHING that fit. Hence my blank.
Fine, say that then; I'm just pointing out that "I didn't know [fact given in the clue]" isn't a legit excuse. Jeopardy clues sometimes tell you something that you didn't previously know, intending for you to match it with something you already knew. Sometimes the magic just doesn't happen. I feel like here you expected "customize content by location" to be something you were supposed to already know, and you got stuck in the mud of recall before you could ever get yourself on the solid ground of deduction.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I think that highlights an important point: Knowing specific bits of knowledge is very important for Jeopardy, but equally important is making good guesses based on the hints in the clue. And the hints won't be obvious TOMs, they're often more subtle (like I described above in the weather channel clue). I've known plenty of VERY smart people who are terrible at Jeopardy and other trivia games because they can't "get" the meta information in clues. Jeopardy is absolutely NOT just a game of recall, it's a game of figuring out what's being asked based on how the clues are phrased, and sometimes making a guess just on that (even if you never would have gotten the answer if the clue was phrased differently).

It's tough and confusing, but that's why it's a fun game to watch, and why it's so tough to get on the show.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So basically it's reading so far between the lines that you start seeing 23s in everything.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 pm
Any channel. Any. Pick one.
Channel 54? :D

(That reminds me of when we travel with the kids and they want to watch their beloved Cartoon Network at the hotel. But they always call it “channel 43” so either one of two things happen. They either tune the hotel TV to 43 and wonder why it isn’t Cartoon Network, or they ask “what channel is channel 43 on?” (Even in Winnipeg it can be on another channel, depending on who your cable provider is, which confuses them too.))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:56 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 pm
Any channel. Any. Pick one.
Channel 54? :D

(That reminds me of when we travel with the kids and they want to watch their beloved Cartoon Network at the hotel. But they always call it “channel 43” so either one of two things happen. They either tune the hotel TV to 43 and wonder why it isn’t Cartoon Network, or they ask “what channel is channel 43 on?” (Even in Winnipeg it can be on another channel, depending on who your cable provider is, which confuses them too.))
My channel numbers to watch programming in HD are in the 700s. Curious what Channel 54 is on my system, I checked. Yup, Cartoon Network. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:01 am So basically it's reading so far between the lines that you start seeing 23s in everything.
I told you my exact thought process; did it read as that unnecessarily detail-oriented to you?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:01 am So basically it's reading so far between the lines that you start seeing 23s in everything.
I told you my exact thought process; did it read as that unnecessarily detail-oriented to you?
YES!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

And yet somehow I'm 21/27 on FJ this year.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 am
YES!
So to sum up this recent exchange and apparently this entire thread:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT [blank]
Some helpful boardie wrote: *explanation*
TenPoundHammer wrote: TL;DR
Lather, rinse, repeat.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

QBall wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 am Lather, rinse, repeat.
Ad infinitum, ad nauseum.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 am
Amen.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So is that all the game really is? Making totally ex-recto WAGs from the vaguest of notions? Why not make every clue "It's a thing" at that point? Because you might still be able to eventually guess your way to "what is stroopwafel?" from that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:39 pm So is that all the game really is? Making totally ex-recto WAGs from the vaguest of notions?
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:39 am YES!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

QBall wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 am
Amen.
Yeah, he's been trolling this board (and it's predecessor) for years, which is why they finally started this thread for him, so he wouldn't clutter up the daily threads.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:39 pm So is that all the game really is? Making totally ex-recto WAGs from the vaguest of notions?
They don't call it "trivia" for nothing.