Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 am
IronNeck wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 am Requesting a poll option on how many got "Riverworld" for the $2000 clue in the "More than One Life to Live" category.

Philip Jose Farmer is one of my absolute favorite writers and that is his most famous work, but when I saw that clue, I was 99% certain it would be a LT, and I would expect very few people here to get it.
That was a tough category. I know I got the $400 clue, but the only other one I remember getting was "Cloud Atlas" at $1600 since that's one of my favorite books and I love David Mitchell.
I was a bit surprised, and not a little bit pleased, to see Riverworld show up as a J! clue. Like you, Kirk, I also loved Cloud Atlas (not so much The Bone Clocks)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I played this FJ off the clue of the day on the Jeopardy site. There, the category was listed as "PHILOSOPHYDESPITE" and the clue read "the title,in this Plato work, Socrates says, 'I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times.'" My response, after a good thirty seconds, was pretty much "What the hell?" I wouldn't have gotten it anyway.

Count me another appreciator of Cloud Atlas (though not so much The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet). And I am among the decidedly minority opinion that the movie made of Cloud Atlas was a decent and entertaining attempt at translating that work to film.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I agree about both "The Bone Clocks" (just too out there) and "...Jacob de Zoet." Another one I really liked is "Black Swan Green."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 pm
That GRAPHICS DD really tripped me up: DESIGNERS WANT IMAGES TO BE CLEAR & HAVE GOOD THIS 10-LETTER WORD, ALSO A FAVORABLE NOVEL OUTCOME. I got stuck on "denouement". Couldn't shake it. It's got 10 letters and everything. Tangentially, I'm not sure that a "resolution" has to mean a favorable outcome. Would the writers want to say that Hamlet lacks a resolution? That's just a quibble, though. The word "favorable" isn't what kept me from getting that DD.
After-the-fact, I interpreted it to mean "it's favorable when a novel has a resolution" as opposed to leaving loose threads -- though many classic tales have ambiguous endings. However, I couldn't pull out resolution -- my best guess at the time would have been to blurt "legibility." Fits the first part a little bit, doesn't fit the second part unless the novel is in hand-written manuscript form. But it's all my brain would spit out at the time.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:57 pm I'm sure I've heard of Plato's Apology at some point, but it definitely wasn't coming tonight.
Many dittoes. Vaguely familiar, but that's the most I can say about it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:55 pmHowever, I couldn't pull out resolution -- my best guess at the time would have been to blurt "legibility." Fits the first part a little bit, doesn't fit the second part unless the novel is in hand-written manuscript form. But it's all my brain would spit out at the time.
Similarly, I went with readability. Like Quin I'm a graphic designer, and both "clear" and "good" tripped me up. I would rewrite it as "Designers want images to be crisp and high this 10-letter word." And if that's not enough, add "often expressed as dots per inch." I think "high rez" is a common enough term that you could leave out the silly TOM entirely.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Even at a decent pace and without a paid promo category, they didn't come close to clearing either board. I'm really frustrated with the extra commercial this season.

Another reluctant Republic here. Spent most of the clock trying to think if I knew "the one with the cave," but obviously that wouldn't have helped.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I've probably read 10-15 works of philosophy in my life. The Apology happens to be one of them, so I'm 2/2 in getting FJ! before the music started this week from my couch.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Mr. Rogers (3), Medicine (1), "BB" (3), Memorial (4), Pewter (2), Graphics (2)
Pirates! (3), Port-map-teau (3), Women (4), Life (0), Brit (2), Entertaine"D" (5)

Lach Trash: Unknown Soldier, Arizona Diamondbacks, Sea-Tac, Delmar; Daily Double: Jean Lafitte

I guessed Confessions, but I didn't think it would be right and I remembered afterwards that that was St. Augustine. The only one I knew for sure with Plato was Republic, but I felt that wouldn't be right either.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 am Requesting a poll option on how many got "Riverworld" for the $2000 clue in the "More than One Life to Live" category.
I got it. I've read it. Also, "Dark Matter" by Blake Crouch is in my "to be read" pile, and I'm in the middle of watching the "Altered Carbon" TV series on Netflix.

What I didn't get, and haven't read, is Plato's "Apology."
Quin
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Quin »

Hi everyone, this is Quin, as in the contestant on this particular episode. I appreciate everyone watching and playing along, I'm sure you're all as big a fan of Jeopardy as I am. What a game that was! Too bad I couldn't think of the correct FJ answer in time, all I was thinking was "The Republic", but I knew that wasn't the answer. Hindsight is 20/20 and in the end I should've bet $0, but my strategy going in was to play for the win, ironic that playing for the loss would have won the game for me. I'm still kicking my brain for not coming up with "resolution" on the DD in the first round, my nerves were wrecked in that round and I just couldn't get my brain to work. It's definitely not like watching it on your couch with nothing to lose when you're up there on national TV. Had an amazing time being on Jeopardy, and hats off to Sean, he really had that buzzer dialed in. Of course he had literally just played the game from the day before 10 minutes before this game, and he was warmed up. Amazingly, this was my first time trying out for Jeopardy, and it was an amazing feeling just to make it on the show, it's a bucket list item that I couldn't have had more fun doing, and I have zero regrets. I suggest everyone try out, you may get lucky like me and be able to compete on the show someday too.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Just found a Sporcle quiz where it lists both Plato's "Apology" and his "Republic".

https://www.sporcle.com/games/william2/p-authors
Douglas Squasoni