Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by thenextofken »

jpr281 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm Sean gets questionable thumbs ups from the judges on "veterinarian" and "discography". I thought they were also going to allow "disability". :roll:
I was surprised the first two went in his favor, as it seemed to contradict the show's own rules.
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

Terrible form to have used an image with the Twin Towers in the background as part of the Staten Island Ferry category. What were the writers thinking?

Jasper
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

Terrible form to have used an image with the Twin Towers in the background as part of the Staten Island Ferry category. What were the writers thinking?

Jasper :(

Jasper,
It was a scene from the movie Working Girl, referenced in the clue. That movie was from 1988.
I'm sure it wasn't meant to be insensitive.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

While I am sensitive to the notion of being respectful to families who lost loved ones in 9/11, I think the rush from some quarters to remove all images of the Twin Towers from public view is misguided (such as how they were digitally removed from Home Alone 2 years after its production).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

31 R
DD: 1/3 (Jonathan Swift)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Cosmos, (Jonathan Swift), Social Security Act, Arctic Ocean, Ulan Bator

Ran 1968 in American History
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Jasper
Contributor

Post by Jasper »

I beg to differ. Any number of other clues (including still images or moving images) falling under that category could have been used instead of the particular scene from the film "Working Girl." Using the image that the writers selected was uncalled for and insensitive.

Jasper
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Udish94

Post by Udish94 »

thenextofken wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm
jpr281 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm Sean gets questionable thumbs ups from the judges on "veterinarian" and "discography". I thought they were also going to allow "disability". :roll:
I was surprised the first two went in his favor, as it seemed to contradict the show's own rules.
To be honest, I still don't know why they were so lenient.

Happy to see John win. We grabbed In N Out after the week's tapings and he couldn't have been nicer.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm I knew orange and blue but put red for the third color for some reason.

Sean should have been negged for however he pronounced veternarian.
I'm surprised Alex didn't ask him to say it again - I have no problem giving him a break if if he just tripped over his tongue, more of one if he thinks that's the way it's said...The silent "c" in discography was more defensible by J! practice, though still a close call. (There's disciple, but is there a word with an is[silent c]o in it??)

Last night I admitted I was "smug" for getting FJ...so tonight, of course, I was punished with a clue that should have been simple for me as a New Yorker. I had 2 of the colors but gave "red" instead of "blue" - my excuse is my visual sense is not so acute as my memory for obscure titles...(Yeah, that's it!... :oops: )
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:33 pm From the Managment: PanthersFan1's post has been removed because of its abusive nature. They have been banned for a month. I have edited the posts that quoted him or her to remove those comments.
Thank you for keeping out the drama.

It's off topic, but can anyone explain the little animated scroll circles on the left side of the main message board? I found I can just click the red ones and go straight to the first unread post - very handy. Others are animated, but not red color. Others are not animated. Does the animation mean someone has it open currently?

I apologize if this has been the same for over a year and I just discovered it. But there may be other slow learners who would benefit from knowing about the shortcuts.

On topic,

Wow, John. I understand the timid betting on DD after you were underwater for the beginning of the game. I knew Marcy was closing but couldn't tell if she had time to go in order on that last category, and she didn't get there. I do wish they had an onscreen scoreboard like a football game. It didn't matter for Marcy in the end. Reminds me of watching a KC Chiefs game :cry: .

Sean was outplayed in this one in what I assume was a buzzer war. He was gifted the 'veteraginarian' response, but I'm sure would have untangled his tongue if give time to re-pronounce the word.

I got FJ by figuring Mets have blue in their uniforms, and Dutch TOM must mean Orange, and surely white is the other option. I would not have been surprised to lose to pink and green and puce.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 30, W: 1, costing 400
Coryat: 23,000
FJ: :(
DD: 1/3
LT: Social Security Act, Arctic Ocean

A good, even game for me - 15 right in each half. Not skunked in any category, but no runs, either. Would like to have seen those last two sun clues. I want to believe I could have got those. And it's the right play to pick those when wrestling for the lead and time running out.

The Mets were my only route to FJ. Had no idea Dutch was associated with the color orange, so that was no help. Don't watch enough basketball to know the Knicks' colors. And I wouldn't know the NYC flag if it slapped me in the face. Unfortunately, while blue and white were easy pickings, I guessed yellow instead of orange. I knew there was a contrasting color on the Mets uniform, so picked something that I thought might look good with blue. Bummer. Sometimes you guess right, sometimes not.

I'll agree that the OK on Sean's veter-something-ian was generous. But it's up to the judges, so I'm not complaining. And in the end, it made no difference as to who won.
--Peter
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I grew up a Mets fan, so I didn't have too much trouble with FJ!. One thing I didn't learn until I visited the Mets' Hall of Fame and Museum, though, is that the blue was chosen to honor the Dodgers, the orange to honor the Giants, and the pinstripes to honor the Yankees.

I'm very puzzled by the acceptance of "veterinarian". It's easier for me to see the "discography" ruling.

Assuming that Shark Tank was a sponsored category, I didn't know that not finishing a whole sponsored category in the J! round was a thing.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 pm While I am sensitive to the notion of being respectful to families who lost loved ones in 9/11, I think the rush from some quarters to remove all images of the Twin Towers from public view is misguided (such as how they were digitally removed from Home Alone 2 years after its production).
I agree completely. That's why I particularly admire the McDonald's at 686 Sixth Avenue, despite its Yelp rating of two stars out of five, because they left the twin towers intact on their third floor window skyline light amid so many erasures elsewhere.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Dutch flag + Mutts colors, easy FJ.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Udish94 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm
Happy to see John win. We grabbed In N Out after the week's tapings and he couldn't have been nicer.
From the Daily Double to the Double-Double. . . what better way to celebrate? Congrats!
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Jasper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm I beg to differ. Any number of other clues (including still images or moving images) falling under that category could have been used instead of the particular scene from the film "Working Girl." Using the image that the writers selected was uncalled for and insensitive.

Jasper
Not a New Yorker, but I don't see how erasing every mention of two iconic buildings that stood in Manhattan for 30 years is something we should do. They were in the movie, the clue was about the movie, and they weren't shown in any negative way. They existed, I don't know why we shouldn't acknowledge that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought "security" was upside down. The top two felt way harder than "Security blanket" at $600.

I thought "angel investor" was obscure compared to the two below it, as well.

However, I ran the "Dis" category and got all but the DD in the Newspaper category.

No way am I getting this right. I don't know what's on the Dutch flag, I didn't know New York City HAD a flag, and I don't know the team colors of the Knicks and Mets. Could be black and white for all I know; mauve and chartreuse; yellow ochre and clear.

Lach Trash: Cleveland Plain Dealer
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mikebdoss wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:00 pm
Jasper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm I beg to differ. Any number of other clues (including still images or moving images) falling under that category could have been used instead of the particular scene from the film "Working Girl." Using the image that the writers selected was uncalled for and insensitive.

Jasper
Not a New Yorker, but I don't see how erasing every mention of two iconic buildings that stood in Manhattan for 30 years is something we should do. They were in the movie, the clue was about the movie, and they weren't shown in any negative way. They existed, I don't know why we shouldn't acknowledge that.
Agree 100%

I guess if showing an image of the Twin Towers now is insensitive then the entire movie Titanic is insensitive.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mikebdoss wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Jasper
I was born in Brooklyn (in 1961) and lived there until I graduated from high school in 1978, and I agree.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

"Angel investor" was actually part of a top level clue less than two months ago:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5861
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Shark Tank (1), 1968 America (4), Vocabulary (2), Staten Island (2), Authors' Fictional Places (3), "Security" (4)
Newspapers (5), Globe (3), Washington Post (3), Sun (1), "Dis"patch (3), Harold (2)

Lach Trash: remedy, Cleveland Plain-Dealer; Daily Double: Jonathan Swift

I answered this one quickly by knowing the Mets/Knicks' colors; I didn't know the third color that used to be on the Dutch flag or NYC's current colors without the sporting assistance.