Thursday, February 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Thursday, February 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:12 pm
heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 pm
So John buys stuff cheap at thrift shops and sells them for a profit online? That rubs me the wrong way a little bit.
The thrift store gets stuff for free and sells them for a profit.
Yes, but there are people who would say that the point of the thrift shop is to offer these items in an accessible fashion to those who ordinarily would not be able to afford it, and are thus performing a very useful societal service, and this sort of action subverts that.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

So John buys stuff cheap at thrift shops and sells them for a profit online? That rubs me the wrong way a little bit.
But usually in support of a charity, right?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm Could only come up with "Mayo Clinic" which isn't a university.
That's not a bad guess! It's certainly better than nothing.
No it's not, because Mayo Clinic is not a university.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:24 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm Could only come up with "Mayo Clinic" which isn't a university.
That's not a bad guess! It's certainly better than nothing.
No it's not, because Mayo Clinic is not a university.
But the point is you're getting into the habit of writing something down. Maybe next time you guess something it will be closer, or even right.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Knew it wasn't U of GA, couldn't think of a medical university in Atlanta. Guessed Furman, which turns out to be in South Carolina. :?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

squarekara wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:24 pm
But usually in support of a charity, right?
Some places are more charitable than others. And yes, the target market is people who can’t afford to buy name brand clothes brand new. But most ones I have been in are pretty packed out with clothes, so I don’t think he is denying anyone a chance at a bargain.

Bamawoman and Bamamother-in-law are both thrift store junkies.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

John isn't even the first New York City contestant to be interviewed about thrift shopping this season, incidentally.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

Not a good day for me.

R: 20, W: 5, costing 3200
Coryat: 12,800
FJ: :(
DD: 1/3
LT: break, Homer, (Vienna Boys Choir)

Gotta ask the judges: common time instead of time signature? For your consideration, 4/4 is sometimes called common time. I marked it as wrong, so I'm looking for a commercial break correction. :D

I don't see how the pool question was that tough. It was clearly looking for the first shot of the game, not the name of the game.

With all of the mentions of Socrates and Plato and other ancient writers and thinkers lately, Homer was an easy bit of trash to pick up for me.

Got stumped in three categories today. (Two if the judges are kind.) Barely know Henry's wives (there's an Anne or two, a Catherine or two, and some others), so I'm not going to get them from an anagram. I recently read a cutesy rhyme that supposed to help you remember them. It didn't work. (But I think a couple of the clues contained TOMs from that rhyme.) And of course, Lit is a place I frequently stare a lot.

FJ was quite a travelogue in my head. I started down the famous medical school path. (Bad choice, it turns out.) Who has good med schools? Harvard. Univ of Chicago. Johns Hopkins. UCSF. Clock ticking. How do I pick one? Scribble Harvard as time expires. Wait - the CDC is in Georgia. That eliminates all of these. In the end it doesn't matter, as Emory wasn't on my radar. Heard of it, but had no idea where it was. If I'd started with Georgia, I'd probably have ended up with U of GA.
--Peter
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Coryat: 26,400

DD: 1/3 (Restoration)

FJL :(

38 R , 4 W

I wrote Johns Hopkins; I simply didn't know that CDC is in Atlanta, though now that I think about it, I've heard it before (the board game Pandemic, if nothing else).

I was bogged down by too many dumb guesses in this one (three wrong in the Vienna category) -- just fatigue, I guess.

Probably need to Pavlov Very Catholic Asian Nation to Philippines, I'm guessing.

A couple of fairly easy rebounds in the J! round: Kansas bovine that's not a cow is ... ; branch of islam that's not sunni is...
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 pm Gotta ask the judges: common time instead of time signature? For your consideration, 4/4 is sometimes called common time. I marked it as wrong, so I'm looking for a commercial break correction. :D
Perfectly good response.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm bad at universities. I said Johns Hopkins. Emory wasn't going to happen.
davey

Post by davey »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 pm Gotta ask the judges: common time instead of time signature? For your consideration, 4/4 is sometimes called common time. I marked it as wrong, so I'm looking for a commercial break correction. :D
Perfectly good response.
For foxtrot music it's 4/4
Which implies it can be something other than 4/4. And common time is 4/4 by definition, no?

I just forgot where the CDC is...Baltimore sounded right, so another Johns Hopkins here, with no hesitation except having that odd s in place.... :roll:
I'd feel a little better if I'd said Bollingen for the Yale prize clue...instead of just thinking it... :twisted:
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I'll count FJ as an instaget off of reading this item, but (again) a massive two-handed gesture toward the worst affiliate in the country, WDIV in Detroit, for pre-empting Jeopardy (still on the schedule) so they could have sportsbunny Bernie do some Olympic promo thing.

Sony should consider other options in this market. It's one of the biggest in the country and WDIV is run by people who simply don't know what they're doing.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: During Think Time I considered U. of Georgia, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, and Emory, while also knowing that one (not that I had a clue which one) of those places was in Athens.
I didn't know the CDC was in Atlanta, but I have been to Athens.

Aced the First Name Verbs category. I wouldn't have thought I'd like it that much beforehand.
Last edited by Category 13 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anachronism wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 pm Sony should consider other options in this market. It's one of the biggest in the country and WDIV is run by people who simply don't know what they're doing.
Sounds like WNEM. They pre-empted J! AND Wheel four times each during the first week of December for the same Time-Life infomercial. All unannounced. (At least my episode aired...)
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:29 pm Barely know Henry's wives (there's an Anne or two, a Catherine or two, and some others), so I'm not going to get them from an anagram. I recently read a cutesy rhyme that supposed to help you remember them. It didn't work. (But I think a couple of the clues contained TOMs from that rhyme.) And of course, Lit is a place I frequently stare a lot.

Probably not the same one, but my mom has a book, written in England in the 1950s, that contains poem about each of the British monarchs (very useful for studying for Jeopardy). The poem about Henry VIII begins "Bluff King Hal was full of beans / He married half a dozen queens!" and continues with one stanza about each of the six wives (e.g. "Anne of Cleves was number four / Her portrait thrilled him to the core / But when he met her face to face / Another royal divorce took place.") Very fun.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,000
46 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: national pastime; time signature; A Brief History of Time; the break; Catherine of Aragon; Chuck; Vienna Boys' Choir (DD); Jitterbug

I also went immediately to Johns Hopkins, then remembered that the CDC is based in Atlanta. I figured it couldn't be Georgia Tech or Georgia State, so Emory it must be.

Similar to the "Despacito" cluse the other night, I was flabbergasted by tonight's "Hotline Bling" clue being in the bottom row. Turns out it was supposed to be a different clue that was nearly as easy, albeit for a different generation:
Udish94 (via J! subreddit) wrote:I stayed after I was eliminated and watched this game. The reason "Hotline Bling" is a $1000 question is because Alex Trebek messed up.

The original question was "Steely Dan told this person "don't lose that number". Alex called on Marty, but said "Rikki", which was the answer. Hotline Bling was a backup question.
Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pmSome places are more charitable than others. And yes, the target market is people who can’t afford to buy name brand clothes brand new. But most ones I have been in are pretty packed out with clothes, so I don’t think he is denying anyone a chance at a bargain.
This is exactly right. There is absolutely no issue of scarcity with respect to thrift store inventory, particularly clothing. Frankly, resellers of various stripes make up a significant percentage of thrift store customers/sales.
Sprinkles are for winners.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 pm Never knew that Emory was "famed" for its health care system and medical school. Is "famed" too strong of word here or am I just ignorant of their reputation?
I didn't know that about Emory either, but it wouldn't have mattered since "CDC = Atlanta" + "Atlanta university" only led me to Georgia Tech and Morehouse.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

davey wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:35 pm
heppm01 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:18 pm
Perfectly good response.
For foxtrot music it's 4/4
Which implies it can be something other than 4/4. And common time is 4/4 by definition, no?
It may imply it, but it doesn't say it. There's nothing about "common time" that doesn't correctly answer the clue. And no, I'm not biased, even though I also gave it as an answer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Unfortunately, I couldn't fix my spelling of Ebony in time...so close and yet so so far...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)