Thursday, February 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mikebdoss
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 8, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mikebdoss »

For the "First Name Verbs" clue "To make your way through not-so-deep water", I had "Ford" instead of "Wade". Thoughts?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

mikebdoss wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:35 pm For the "First Name Verbs" clue "To make your way through not-so-deep water", I had "Ford" instead of "Wade". Thoughts?
There many people with the first name Ford (besides F. M. Ford)? True it doesn’t say it has to be a *common* name (and that opens a big can of worms), but I’d neg it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 pm
mikebdoss wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:35 pm For the "First Name Verbs" clue "To make your way through not-so-deep water", I had "Ford" instead of "Wade". Thoughts?
There many people with the first name Ford (besides F. M. Ford)? True it doesn’t say it has to be a *common* name (and that opens a big can of worms), but I’d neg it.
Ford Prefect? :D
davey

Post by davey »

Ford Madox Ford, Ford Fairlane, Ford Rainey (co-star of The Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen...!) Why not?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 pm
How many do you need? Ford Madox Brown. Ford Stinson. Ford Rainey. Ford Frick. Ford Prefect. It's uncommon, but undeniably in use as a first name. I say they have to take it.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

Grammy (4), Crowd! (4), Game (3), Flags (3), Wives of Henry VIII (2), "Time" (1)
Gramma (1), Literary Awards (2), First Name Verbs (2), Era or Age. Period. (3), Wien/Wien (0)

Lach Trash: A Brief History of Time, Catherine of Aragon, homer

Instaget FJ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:52 pm Ford Madox Brown.
Ford Madox "any color as long as it's" Brown?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

If I knew the CDC was in Atlanta, I would've said Emory, but I didn't know that, so I also said Johns Hopkins.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I thought there were some hard categories here. But me no like anagrams. There must have been ten NHOI's and Marty harvested several of them. Then they leave some easy LT - it's just about wheelhouses and this wasn't John's game.

I think the moralizing on John's clothing arbitrage buries the lede of his story. How tough is NYC cost of living that an investment banker analyst is pimping old clothes to make ends meet :shock: ? Should we be collecting canned goods to send to Morbeedo and our NYC friends :lol: ?
(I know, it's a hobby. A retired bank president friend of mine is a yard sale troll. We actually make it a point to visit flea markets in overseas cities because it is a cultural experience.)

IMHO 1: Common time is fine since they committed to 4/4. I haven't heard the term in decades, and nobody ever uses the "cut time" (2/4?) in my circle. Waltz time is often used (3/4).
IMHO 2: Ford = awesome TD reply. I wish I'd RTFC before making my guesses, I might have got "chuck". Probably not.

I instantly went to Atlanta - synonymous with CDC, and grudgingly chose Emory wishing I could remember the other school that was a Marktiple choice a while back (It was Clemson). I did not like the "famous health care system" TOM one bit considering Georgia ranks 47th in health care coverage with over 12% uninsured. Emory is more famous for tuba players as far as I know.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I recognize the names of all six of Henry VIII's wives But I don't think I could name their order or fates, given that "divorced, died, fried getting suntanned, fell in a cement mixer full of quicksand" non-pattern that other people have used. Thankfully I needed only the names to go 4/4 there.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 amIMHO 1: Common time is fine since they committed to 4/4. I haven't heard the term in decades, and nobody ever uses the "cut time" (2/4?) in my circle. Waltz time is often used (3/4).
I hate to get picky, but this is trivia. ;)

Cut time is 2/2, not 2/4. Aurally, it comes out the same, but the notation is definitely different. When I was playing clarinet in high school, 2/2 flew by way too fast at times, but 2/4 seemed much more manageable.
--Peter
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I had Georgia Tech for FJ. Either that or Georgia State.

Never would have guessed Emory, period.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:30 pm Wrong Atlanta school for me. I went with GA Tech.
at least it was in the city of atlanta...the 2 dudes on the show that missed that clue went with a school like 50 miles away from atlanta
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

no love for morris brown in atlanta?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Man, they left a lot of unanswered clues up there: LT on national pastime, time signature, A Brief History of Time, (billiards) break, Catherine of Aragon, Homer, Brugel, Jitterbug. Plus easy-peasy DD on Vienna Boys Choir.

Plus nearly-Instaget on CDC = Atlanta = Emory.

Which I hope made up for my 1-for-5 on the Grammy category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 am Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.
Ooh sorry. We were looking for "caught in a mudslide, eaten by a lion, got run over by a crappy purple Scion".
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 am Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived.
Ooh sorry. We were looking for "caught in a mudslide, eaten by a lion, got run over by a crappy purple Scion".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't that the Kardashian's husbands, or someone like that???

Keeping all these cutesy rhymes straight is getting to be a challenge. ;)
--Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm
No, no, no. It goes like this. Forgot, Can't be bothered, Never heard of what's-her-name; Forgot, can't be bothered, You know these names all sound the same.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Breakup/Tower/Blade-goes-wham!/These don't help with an anagram.