Friday, February 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Friday, February 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by xxaaaxx »

A mod can use their witchcraft to put the usual archivist stuff at the top.

(they can also delete this post if they want. This was intnded as a placeholder for the FJ clue and scores, but theFJguy is a blazing fast ninja.)
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, February 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That was a very tough TV category IMO.

Also saw no way to figure out anything in that Meals category. Someone want to break that down?

"The Tempest" seemed like a very obscure start in Shakespeare. Can't say I recognize anything from it except its title.

Embarrassed to admit that, despite my affinity for puns, I bombed that category. Also skunked "Alt" Left.

BMSing "Bach" in the top box was a bit extreme IMO.

Can't say I've heard of the correct response.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

I have theFJguy credentials, but not Archivists even though I'm an archivist. :)

Here's my portion:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An “ineffable quality”, this 3-word title represents “the ability to go up in a hurtling piece of machinery” day after day

Marty Cunningham: 26600+3600=30200 (2x = $49,100)
Carlos Garcia: 3600-3500=100
Alison Sahner: 6800-1000=5800

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Carlos – Cold as Ice) (Alison – Brave New)

Daily Doubles
Alison: 4000+2000
Marty: 3200+2000
Marty: 15400+4000

Coryats
Marty: 23400
Carlos: 3600
Alison: 54600

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Marty: 3800
Carlos: 4400
Alison: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A notch for Volante from Current Events thread to J! clue: search.php?keywords=jodie+whittaker

Two points for Alex today with “Kill the Wabbit” and the aka for the calico bass.

Danny Kaye gets the credit for my knowing the other term for nude in “ALT” LEFT:
Spoiler
Marty got more than half of the clues right in the DJ round to make up for picking first to begin the round. A perfect day on the big clues and he easily earned his way to a new taping session.

This time I had to take the Hammer on the FJ! clue as I had nothing other than taking a pass on spelling out the famous Heller work just to make three words. I did not realize just how high up I needed to go with the hurtling piece of machinery. The range of catapult to plane was not getting there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Is there a reason that the Friday thread is not being posted by Archivists? Same thing happened last Friday.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Looked like it might be a close game at the start, but the DJ round was a slow-motion execution. It was fun to watch Marty turn on the afterburners.

FJ might have been instaget if I had focused on the hurtling part first, instead of wasting 10 seconds trying to think of three-word phrases for 'ineffable quality' :roll: A positive end to an otherwise crappy 3/5 week for me.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, is a wedding brunch a well-known thing? Rings no bells to me.

Took me about 10 seconds, but I did come up with the right stuff.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Whatever the opposite of an instaget is, that's what I had today. Figured it out at literally the 29th second, wouldn't have had time to scribble it down.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 29, W: 2, costing 2200
Coryat: 23,000
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 2/3
LT: none

The J! round was very tough for me. TV roles? Nope (Except that I knew Dr. Who got its first female Doc!) Shakespeare? I've been working on All's Well, but that didn't come up. Thought the puns were OK, but only got one of them quickly enough. I have a meal impediment, growing up in a place where the midday meal is lunch, and dinner and supper are interchangeable. I can never remember which one is the alternate for lunch.

But DJ was one of my better rounds. And I finally got a FJ right, so I won't have to check the box of shame on the weekly poll.

Speaking of which, I'll toss the $400 bass clue out as a suggestion for the poll. Taxonomic names as a top row clue in a category with a cutesy name where you don't really know what it's about?

For those unfamiliar with the heyday of SNL in the 1970s, here's your training video on the Bass-o-matic: (I should probably add a warning for the squeamish, just to be safe. Consider yourself warned.)

Another great game by Marty. He's showing how to make FJ wagering strategy irrelevant.
--Peter
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,000
46 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Titus Andronicus, largemouth/smallmouth

Like Mark, I left my FJ! space blank tonight. Don't know that I would've come up with it if you gave me all night. I think of The Right Stuff as a movie rather than a book, but either way it's not a work that's deeply embedded in my consciousness. Great game top to bottom, including a good FJ! solve, by Marty.

Yesterday I was catching up on episodes I missed earlier in the season (I'm just now seeing Austin's run), and I learned the "people baked in a pie = Titus Andronicus" Pavlov. That certainly paid dividends tonight.

I know it seems I do this every night, but $2000 for knowing which island Haiti and the Dominican Republic share seems...generous.
Sprinkles are for winners.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

39 R
FJ: :(
LT: *Altarpiece*, Altair, Clarinet Concerto

Other of my gets include Robert Goddard, Bolero, and Peer Gynt.
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

far and away the easiest final of the week, surprised it wasn't a triget.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

33 R, 4 W

Coryat: $22,600.

I have never seen or read The Right Stuff and had no idea what it was about, but the phrase was the only thing I could think of that could work, so I wrote it down. Extremely lucky guess.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm Speaking of which, I'll toss the $400 bass clue out as a suggestion for the poll. Taxonomic names as a top row clue in a category with a cutesy name where you don't really know what it's about?
I don't have the clue in front of me, but I recall there was some tease out having to do with mouth or relative anatomy size in some sense. That's how I solved it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ah, Carlos, you had a chance that will never come again and you didn't take it. Why, oh why, didn't you say "What's sup?" to Alex?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:27 pm Ah, Carlos, you had a chance that will never come again and you didn't take it. Why, oh why, didn't you say "What's sup?" to Alex?
I still do ad libs while watching at home and I definitely had that one although not drawn out like the beer ad.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: 73
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

celestial navigation is the practice of finding location according to angular measurements of heavenly bodies. it is a crucial element of seamanship.
as soon as you learn how to hold a sextant, the first thing you do is shoot a few sights of altair, because it's pretty easy to see.
see: "bowditch's american practical navigator" (commonly known as "bowditch").
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm Speaking of which, I'll toss the $400 bass clue out as a suggestion for the poll. Taxonomic names as a top row clue in a category with a cutesy name where you don't really know what it's about?
I don't have the clue in front of me, but I recall there was some tease out having to do with mouth or relative anatomy size in some sense. That's how I solved it.
Open yer yap & identify M. Salmoides & M. Dolomieu, these 2 popular game fish with contrasting names.

Yes, there's definitely a TOM there. But what fish? I took the hook on the Salmoides bait and looked at salmon, not bass. I was trying to come up with some contrasting salmon names. Atlantic and Pacific salmon, perhaps? All wrong, of course.
--Peter
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm Yes, there's definitely a TOM there. But what fish? I took the hook on the Salmoides bait and looked at salmon, not bass. I was trying to come up with some contrasting salmon names. Atlantic and Pacific salmon, perhaps? All wrong, of course.
The category name had the word bass in the title.