Friday, February 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:05 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm Yes, there's definitely a TOM there. But what fish? I took the hook on the Salmoides bait and looked at salmon, not bass. I was trying to come up with some contrasting salmon names. Atlantic and Pacific salmon, perhaps? All wrong, of course.
The category name had the word bass in the title.
Yeah, and the $2000 clue was about a panfish. And in the tomato/tomahto department, even the hooked on phonics home-schooled hillbillies around here only say "croppie". I wonder if the cat/hat vowel sound is actually used elsewhere except in wordplay (not a poll request).

I've been planning on cashing in on my "kill the wabbit" opera knowledge a long time and it showed up as a classical music question instead. That means no opera answers for a couple of years now :( .
Spoiler
Re: FJ!s for the 1/1/18 week

Post by twelvefootboy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 am

W: One of the two bytes of opera knowledge in my RAM. Just waiting to play my "Kill the Wabbit" card at the next opera clue :lol: .
Possibly the ONLY bestseller I've ever read as an adult is "The Right Stuff" because I got hooked on the backstory and it wasn't fiction. So, for one day, Opera and Literature were right in my wheelhouse. I didn't expect a triple get, and it is polling about average here. Gives me a 3/5 week after an 0/2 start.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm
heppm01 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm Speaking of which, I'll toss the $400 bass clue out as a suggestion for the poll. Taxonomic names as a top row clue in a category with a cutesy name where you don't really know what it's about?
I don't have the clue in front of me, but I recall there was some tease out having to do with mouth or relative anatomy size in some sense. That's how I solved it.
Open yer yap & identify M. Salmoides & M. Dolomieu, these 2 popular game fish with contrasting names.

Yes, there's definitely a TOM there. But what fish? I took the hook on the Salmoides bait and looked at salmon, not bass. I was trying to come up with some contrasting salmon names. Atlantic and Pacific salmon, perhaps? All wrong, of course.
I was so confused by this clue I thought they were asking for a French response - since the fish were evidently connected to 2 French gentlemen... :roll: Or maybe obscure French characters in Finding Nemo??... :roll:
Luckily I wasn't confused by the FJ - one of the favorite books (and even more favorite movie) of my younger days...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I have been a constellation geek for a long time. I have a picture book about constellations at home. This helped me get Altair tonight.
It also helped me get the Aldebaran clue from last season.

Sorry the picture is backwards. It was the only way I could upload the image.
Photo on 2018-02-10 at 02.22.jpg
Photo on 2018-02-10 at 02.22.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 pm far and away the easiest final of the week, surprised it wasn't a triget.
Just because you knew it doesn't make it easy and I'm sure the poll will bear that out.

In retrospect "20th Century Books" pointed to it being non-fiction, but that didn't dawn on me till the reveal.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Instaget. My wife and I had just watched "The Right Stuff" the night before.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My mind got stuck on a response in the right ballpark but playing for the wrong team: Fear of Flying. Knew it didn't fit as it would be the opposite of what the clue described but couldn't maneuver quickly enough to find anything else.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 pm far and away the easiest final of the week, surprised it wasn't a triget.
Just because you knew it doesn't make it easy and I'm sure the poll will bear that out.
Survey says (so far) ... Kirk is right. This is polling 25 points below Wednesday's. (And it's polling as the third easiest.)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:40 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 pm
Survey says (so far) ... Kirk is right. This is polling 25 points below Wednesday's. (And it's polling as the third easiest.)
Or as us pessimists say, it's the third hardest :!: It's also the median difficulty, and just ever so slightly harder than average. The Plato clue was a buzz saw last week. Which is why we're at 4% for the box of glory.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.