Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

Post by Bamaman »

Someone betting badly is not very obscure.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^No, but a contestant actually winning from third place after having less than the difference between 1st and 2nd pre-FJ is a rarity.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm As for other obscure records, I'd like to suggest "largest failed TDD from which the player recovered to the point of having a lock game," and nominate myself as the record-holder ($4,800 to $0, second game). (If there's a bigger one you know of, let me know.)
Well, I guess $7,100 in 1988 is probably the record.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm As for other obscure records, I'd like to suggest "largest failed TDD from which the player recovered to the point of having a lock game," and nominate myself as the record-holder ($4,800 to $0, second game). (If there's a bigger one you know of, let me know.)
Your link doesn't work.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm
Your link doesn't work.
I omitted an ingredient. Fixed.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've just seen a comment on Facebook where Jeff Richmond pointed out that he has played FJ alone (in the UToC), against one other person (in his second game), against two others (in all his games not linked here), and against three others (in the Super Jeopardy quarterfinals).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

In Jerome Vered's debut game. All 60 clues and final were answered correctly. As of now, I can't find another time that this has happened.
Douglas Squasoni
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:28 pm In Jerome Vered's debut game. All 60 clues and final were answered correctly. As of now, I can't find another time that this has happened.
That also happened on June 29, 1993 and February 25, 1998.

ETA: I found one more instance: June 22, 1993.
LucarioSnooperVixey

On January 23, 2004, two contestants had the last name Meehan.
On June 13, 2008, two contestants had the last name Goodman.
What if one day, there is an episode where all three contestants have the same last name. :o
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 pm On January 23, 2004, two contestants had the last name Meehan.
What if one day, there is an episode where all three contestants have the same last name. :o
:)
(It hasn't happened yet, but the Meehans and Goodmans have been noticed.)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

There's also that one episode where all contestants have the same first name (Jeff) ;)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 pm There's also that one episode where all contestants have the same first name (Jeff) ;)
Best episode
LucarioSnooperVixey

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:24 pm On January 23, 2004, two contestants had the last name Meehan.
ETA: April 14, 2014, two contestants had the last name Baker.
ETA: October 27, 1993, two contestants had the last name Schwartz.
ETA: April 11, 2006, two contestants had the last name Lee.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 pm I've just seen a comment on Facebook where Jeff Richmond pointed out that he has played FJ alone (in the UToC), against one other person (in his second game), against two others (in all his games not linked here), and against three others (in the Super Jeopardy quarterfinals).
Safe to assume he's the only one to do that? Has anyone else even done the 1-2-3 trifecta? Kristin Sausville and Tom Kunzen never played a two-person final, and Doug Molitor's only two-person final was the one from which he himself was absent.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

kprather895 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:47 pm I've just seen a comment on Facebook where Jeff Richmond pointed out that he has played FJ alone (in the UToC), against one other person (in his second game), against two others (in all his games not linked here), and against three others (in the Super Jeopardy quarterfinals).
Safe to assume he's the only one to do that? Has anyone else even done the 1-2-3 trifecta? Kristin Sausville and Tom Kunzen never played a two-person final, and Doug Molitor's only two-person final was the one from which he himself was absent.
Beryl Arbit played FJ alone in her third game, against one other person in her ToC semifinal, and against two others in her ToC quarterfinal.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 am
kprather895 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:08 am
Beryl Arbit played FJ alone in her third game, against one other person in her ToC semifinal, and against two others in her ToC quarterfinal.
Well spotted. Thanks!
LucarioSnooperVixey

I'm not sure if it's known who the youngest ever regular play Jeopardy! contestant is, but this morning, I watched the Season 14 Premier on Netflix and Atish Choudhury revealed he was 18. You must be at least 18 in order to be a regular play contestant.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm I'm not sure if it's known who is the youngest ever regular play Jeopardy! contestant is, but this morning, I watched the Season 14 Premier on Netflix and Atish Choudhury revealed he was 18. You must be at least 18 in order to be a regular play contestant.
The same thing ran through my mind hahah ... Recent JHL Alix Basden came to mind in terms of other young contestants; when her episode aired, someone on Reddit mentioned that her tape day was also her 19th birthday.

ETA: With Atish's tie-win though, I'd be willing to bet that he's the youngest regular-play champion in J! history.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've mentioned those infernal Radio City Music Hall celeb matches from 2006 many times. They have to be some kind of record for unrevealed clues, with 11/17/06 being the frontrunner at 16 in J! and 10 in DJ! This was due to an insane amount of buffoonery and the inexplicable decision to have Broadway performers come out and do a live Audio Daily Double that went on for ages. I believe someone else also pointed out that the game went to the first commercial break after only 7 clues.

With that in mind... what is the most unrevealed clues in a regular play game, either by-round or cumulative?

The archive indicates three different games with 9 left on the board in DJ! Even more interestingly, all three games had the J! round board cleared.

* 3/15/10 (no idea what the possible time-sink was here, since two of the unrevealed clues were in the Clue Crew category)
* 9/19/12 (video clues in both rounds + random overlong Michelle Obama clue)
* 2/15/16 (DJ! likely cut super short due to a long video category in J!)

Have any games had a larger number of clues unrevealed in total? Or an unusually large number left behind in the J! round?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:34 pm I'm not sure if it's known who is the youngest ever regular play Jeopardy! contestant is, but this morning, I watched the Season 14 Premier on Netflix and Atish Choudhury revealed he was 18. You must be at least 18 in order to be a regular play contestant.
The subject of FJ died on June 25, 1997, and this game aired on September 1. That was a pretty quick turnaround for a FJ clue.