The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am I have found that, even when I do learn something that might be useful, I never seem to have that feeling of "that's cool, I learned something today" even when it's something within my interests. I never feel any "gain" even in the event that I actually do learn something interesting. And I guess I'm just feeling disillusioned over the concept of learning in the first place because it never seemed to be "worth it" to learn at all. So maybe that's the rub.
Here's the thing. It's not that this type of attitude is necessarily wrong, but it's something I'd expect from someone who is utterly not curious about the world or trivia at all. But you clearly watch the show, and you engage with other people on a message board. That's a use of your time that could be better spent elsewhere if you really didn't like trivia. The very term "trivia" means details or pieces of information of little importance.

So which is it? Do you want to get better at trivial matters or just claim that all this stuff is "useless" information, because it mostly is in the real world.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am Just curious - are you familiar with different musical modalities? (Dorian, Myxolidian, Ionian, etc..) This is an example of very specific and very useless information that I find fascinating.
I am because I've encountered them in several hymns in my other job as a church organist. And since I have perfect pitch, I can detect things like that in other songs.

There are also a very few popular songs that are modal -- for instance, "Sweet Home Alabama" is Mixolydian, "Country Girl (Shake It for Me)" and parts of "Fancy" (the Vicki Lawrence/Reba song, not the Iggy Azalea one) are Dorian, and so on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am Just curious - are you familiar with different musical modalities? (Dorian, Myxolidian, Ionian, etc..) This is an example of very specific and very useless information that I find fascinating.
I am because I've encountered them in several hymns in my other job as a church organist. And since I have perfect pitch, I can detect things like that in other songs.

There are also a very few popular songs that are modal -- for instance, "Sweet Home Alabama" is Mixolydian, "Country Girl (Shake It for Me)" and parts of "Fancy" (the Vicki Lawrence/Reba song, not the Iggy Azalea one) are Dorian, and so on.
Next time you get your dobber down about your success with different dimensions of the trivia games, just try to relate to the average chump's relationship to musical minutiae. I've been playing the D/C/G chord progression for Sweet Home Alabama a few decades and never connected it to my academic interest in modes. Much like your shortcoming at connecting dots sometimes, I can never figure out the fourth chord in a song. I'll take a shot at the VI minor chord and I'm pretty much cooked.

So, I was exposed to useless, irrelevant information today. Thank you sir, may I have another? :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:22 pm
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:21 pm You don't get to complain that you don't know stuff that's on Jeopardy! while simultaneously complain that it's useless information. A lot of stuff on Jeopardy is useless in my day to day life. But I'm here because I enjoy trivia games. Why are you here?
Because I want to learn something actually useful, not pointless garbage that will never come up again.
Says the guy who learns obscure facts about country music stars, how to win at Wheel of Fortune, and facts on obscure malls.

As was pointed out if you’re looking to learn useful things, you’ve come to the wrong place. Jeopardy! is a trivia show. Trivia is, by definition, useless. I’ll admit (as will you) there are useful things to be learned from J! but there isn’t much of them. So don’t argue that we’re not learning useful stuff because you won’t get an argument.

(Btw, there’s about the same ratio of useful to trivia (maybe more to the useful side) in your beloved Uncle Johns too.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:29 am So this is how I managed to not get FJ!:

I know when I was looking up what song was #1 on my birthday, a coworker asked me what song was #1 on hers, and it happened to be "Maria Maria" by Santana and some other group no one's heard of. In checking the list of #1 songs, I was surprised that Santana reigned for 10 weeks with that song, and then also had a 12-week #1 with "Smooth" around the same time. These findings were quite surprising to me, since I always thought Santana was more of a 70s and 80s act, and even among people who actually were listening to pop music in the 90s, I've found that both "Maria Maria" and "Smooth" seem pretty obscure now. And "Maria Maria" did seem to fit the combination of Latin act, also a name, and big hit, but it didn't quite seem to fit the clue. So I kept going.

Let's see. There was also "Livin' la Vida Loca", and I seem to remember my mom already being into Enrique Iglesias when "Hero" was a hit, so maybe he had something out that was a big hit before then? I know the "Latin Invasion" was a thing, after all, so let's keep going. Jennifer Lopez. Lou Bega.... uh... Rick Trevino? Time's up, I got nothin'.

Basically, by starting in completely the wrong direction, I managed to think of nearly every popular Latin act from that era BUT the right one.
Even though you didn't get to the correct response, this is a pretty solid chain of reasoning. Maybe you have a little more background knowledge in this area, but if you could start expanding this process of deduction to other categories you'll be well on your way.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm How was I supposed to know that Table Tennis for $200 was referring to China and not any other big country? Or maybe a small country? I saw no TOM at all in that clue.
The US's table tennis diplomacy with China was a minor plot point in Forrest Gump. Admittedly it was a bit on the tough side for $200.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm How was I supposed to know that Table Tennis for $200 was referring to China and not any other big country? Or maybe a small country? I saw no TOM at all in that clue.
The US's table tennis diplomacy with China was a minor plot point in Forrest Gump. Admittedly it was a bit on the tough side for $200.
That's what gave it to me, but there was also a country that Nixon was most famous for opening relations with. The opera "Nixon in China" has been referenced on the show, as has the PRC taking Republic of China (Taiwan)'s seat in the UN around that time too because the US under Nixon said the PRC wasn't that bad.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

Not if you were alive then, since it was huge news...now I feel a bit like Forrest Gump myself...
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

"Thawing of relations" in 1971 suggests a country with whom we had frosty relations before then. This is likely a Communist country, and towards the end of the Vietnam war, so China (who supported the Viet Cong) is a good candidate.

China has also historically been good in table tennis. Moreso than other communist countries, probably?

Plus, as people mentioned, the Forrest Gump connection. And it was a foreign policy thing in the 1970s (which is why it was included in the Forrest Gump movie). And notable that during the Nixon presidency, our relations with China were thawed. ("Only Nixon could go to China" is a saying I've heard before.)

Without the Forrest Gump connection, this probably wouldn't be $200 clue, but it would still be a reasonable one.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

In hindsight, the thawing of relations with China is arguably the biggest accomplishment of what is otherwise an infamous presidency. It was also a big deal at the time - or at least it was to this pre-teen.

If one were to make up a flash card of things to know about the Nixon presidency to use when studying for Jeopardy!, ping-pong diplomacy with China would certainly make the top ten. Probably the top five.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you don’t know, China and the USSR are the only reasonable guesses.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm If you don’t know, China and the USSR are the only reasonable guesses.
[citation needed]
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They were the two big Commie superpowers during the Cold War. Nixon also went to Russia in 1972. But ping pong is more popular in China.

Here is a citation for ping pong in China.

https://www.experttabletennis.com/why-i ... le-tennis/
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"A 1971 visit by an American team led to the thawing of relations between the U.S. & this country"

Nothing about cold war or communism at all in that clue.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 pm "... the thawing of relations..."

Nothing about cold war or communism at all in that clue.
No?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm [citation needed]
Sometimes you're just going to have to trust us. But if you're skeptical, perhaps doing the research yourself will help the knowledge stick better.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:39 pm
Sometimes you're just going to have to trust us. But if you're skeptical, perhaps doing the research yourself will help the knowledge stick better.
I don't know what I even WOULD research on this question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:39 pm
I don't know what I even WOULD research on this question.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping-pong_diplomacy

Read the second sentence in the article.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Me: "hmm, I have friends pressuring me into learning tech support. Maybe I should watch this video series about A+ certification."

Two minutes later: "what the *%#!+ is a motherboard? I'm screwed, forget this."
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm Me: "hmm, I have friends pressuring me into learning tech support. Maybe I should watch this video series about A+ certification."

Two minutes later: "what the *%#!+ is a motherboard? I'm screwed, forget this."