HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by Peter the accountant »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:16 am1) The trivia buffs here that (I conjecture) are mostly doing it for bragging rights and dopamine. These peeps can certainly do the math. You need to win $3.00/game average to make minimum wage. The cash at stake adds a little fun, but they will play anyway, until it just gets too unfulfilling.
That one would be me. Playing a few times was kind of fun. But the technical issues and the highly obscure questions early on (perhaps to vastly reduce the number of players as a way to address the technical issues) took the fun out of it.
I think the game is headed into a death spiral along with fidget spinners, whether they can win the arms race with the cheaters or not. It was fun as a social event, and maybe the millennials will sustain it.
This is where I put my business hat on and say there may be a bit more to it. They're attracting a huge number of eyeballs for each game. If they can monetize those views (i.e. sell enough ads) they could survive for quite a while. They don't even need to eliminate all of the cheaters, they just need to keep them down to a level where they don't affect how many people play - and watch the ads.
--Peter
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

The cheater problem I'm seeing is that cheating happens totally third-party, outside the app. Because of this, there's literally nothing technical that any of these games can do to stop it. Their best bet is to totally change up the style of questions so the bots get hung up, or introduce elements (like photos) that the bots won't know what to do with. But between the current style of question and the multiple choices, cheating is only going to get worse.

The game was fun at first, but I'm just not having fun anymore. Radically obscure questions plus cheating botnets mean I'd rather just read through a deck of Trivial Pursuit cards.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Cash Show question today:
What makes "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" notable?
It's clever | Contains all the letters of the alphabet | Teaches grammar
Spoiler
The "correct" answer was the only choice that was demonstrably incorrect. "The quick brown fox jumpS over the lazy dog" has all the letters of the alphabet, and putting it in the past tense eliminates the only S!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:52 pm Cash Show question today:
What makes "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" notable?
It's clever | Contains all the letters of the alphabet | Teaches grammar
Spoiler
The "correct" answer was the only choice that was demonstrably incorrect. "The quick brown fox jumpS over the lazy dog" has all the letters of the alphabet, and putting it in the past tense eliminates the only S!
Yes! All too typical of Cash Show. This sort of gaffe kinda strings me along in anticipation of the next one. I'm still enjoying these games, however, since I like trivia quizzes anyway, and I'll take that chump change, thanks. HQ's Rogowsky is a lot of fun, and Bert from Sesame Street's guest shot was high-larious. Maybe they can shave a couple seconds off the response time to thwart the Googlers. Too bad for the genuine trivia fans that payouts are shrinking. And, yes, as somebody already mentioned here, do not use Cash Show as a study guide!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The priceless moment from this evening's Cash Show: they asked for the substance that a particular creature squirts at enemies in order to escape, and "stink" and "ink" were among the possible responses. Only they omitted the name of the animal! If anyone recalls the wording of the question, please put it up. We guessed rightly that they had "squid" in mind rather than "skunk" or something else, and we were able to grab our 91 cents.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:58 pm The priceless moment from this evening's Cash Show: they asked for the substance that a particular creature squirts at enemies in order to escape, and "stink" and "ink" were among the possible responses. Only they omitted the name of the animal! If anyone recalls the wording of the question, please put it up. We guessed rightly that they had "squid" in mind rather than "skunk" or something else, and we were able to grab our 91 cents.
Something like "What does the squirt when escaping predators?" I figured at the time that "squid" and "squirt" were appearing back to back and confused the typist into only putting up the latter word.

My favorite typo in that game was in the question asking which club is "powned" by Johnny Depp.

Also I laughed pretty hard at the question about who helped the pilgrims survive their first winter "in the US."
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Won my first 12th question ($3 and change) in Cash Show today. It's comical how bad it is, but I'll take the money.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Since I'm Chinese myself, I'll just say it: I LOVE bad "Fortune Cookie" English. Thank you, Cash Show! :lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Some recent Cash Show questions (not full or exact quotes in many cases):
  • What was Ben Franklin’s religion: Quaker, Christianity, [a third option I’ve forgotten]
    Spoiler
    Last I checked, Quakers are Christians! And pinning a religion in any of the Founding Fathers is a fool’s errand
  • What was Mohammed Ali’s original name? Cassius Clay, Lual Cindor, [a third option I’ve forgotten]
    Spoiler
    The right answer is obvious, but we’re they going for Kareem’s birth name of Lew Alcindor? Good thing that wasn’t the question!
  • Which of these everyday drinks is addictive? Toast, coffee, oranges?
    Spoiler
    Mmm, I love me a good cuppa toast in the morning!
  • Which of these is not a Shel Silverstein book? The Giving Tree, A Light in the Attic, Goodnight Moon
    Spoiler
    Simplest one of these, huh? Well the answer they gave is
    Spoiler
    A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC!!! SERIOUSLY!!!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The third option for Ben Franklin's religion was "pilgrim." And, yeah, all the folks who won money as a result of that Shel Silverstein question can put their winnings toward a copy of "Goodnight Moon." I'm fascinated by the unreliability of this game! What next, what next?!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Last nights HQ gave $15,000 to seven winners, $2,143 each, second largest prize ever. Much like the two players who won $6000 each on Christmas Eve and the one player who won $1500 solo, none of these players had ever won before and I predict they will likely never win again.

This was a 15 question rice and very difficult so as with those two previous races the winners turned out to be largely random in my opinion .There were very hard questions at four and five that massively slashed the field and then continuous tough questions the rest of the way to get the player count down to single digits by the end.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

That Goodnight Moon question really got me fired up. I had to go read the book to calm down.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm This was a 15 question rice and very difficult so as with those two previous races the winners turned out to be largely random in my opinion .There were very hard questions at four and five that massively slashed the field and then continuous tough questions the rest of the way to get the player count down to single digits by the end.
The Beach Boys question wasn't all that difficult if you know a little bit of their early and later history (which I don't consider terribly obscure), like how they recorded an album called Surf's Up (containing a song of that title) a few years after the Smile efforts (from which the song originates) fell apart, and Murry Wilson's consternation that Brian's first #1 song wasn't a Beach Boys recording.

I used up an extra life on The Thinker; I almost said Dante, then convinced myself the original title was "The Artist" (it was "The Poet") and switched to Michelangelo.

Even when I don't win, I get great satisfaction from surviving Savage Questions (or even knowing them after I've been eliminated).
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

mennoknight wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:48 pm That Goodnight Moon question really got me fired up. I had to go read the book to calm down.
:lol:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Cash Show tonight: "The famous Laugh Factory is located in what city?" Both Los Angeles and Chicago were possible answers (I forget the third), and Laugh Factory has clubs in both cities.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm Cash Show tonight: "The famous Laugh Factory is located in what city?" Both Los Angeles and Chicago were possible answers (I forget the third), and Laugh Factory has clubs in both cities.
L.A. has the famous one. :twisted:

I went 11/12 on both games of HQ today, missing out on $19.49 total.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm Cash Show tonight: "The famous Laugh Factory is located in what city?" Both Los Angeles and Chicago were possible answers (I forget the third), and Laugh Factory has clubs in both cities.
L.A. has the famous one. :twisted:
Being a California native, that's the one I went with. (Hmm. . . now where was it that Michael Richards went off the deep end? Ah, yes!) Maybe someone should let them know now, before they write the next question, that Second City has locations in LA and Toronto too!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I had my mojo going, did you have your mojo going? Got all 12 answers right on cash show tonight for a whole 44 cents of cold, hard cash. One of these days I'll hit $10 and sign up for PayPal to get my money. At 5.45 or so now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm Last nights HQ gave $15,000 to seven winners, $2,143 each, second largest prize ever. Much like the two players who won $6000 each on Christmas Eve and the one player who won $1500 solo, none of these players had ever won before and I predict they will likely never win again.
One of those people is ahead of the other six on the leaderboard with $2,144, so she must have been one of the 2,006 winners last Thursday afternoon (or perhaps one of the 3,116 last Tuesday evening. I guess we'll see if she's still ahead of the rest on the weekly leaderboard after tonight).

Speaking of the weekly leaderboard, I just got to #72 by logging a win, my second in less than a week, today!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:31 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 pm Last nights HQ gave $15,000 to seven winners, $2,143 each, second largest prize ever. Much like the two players who won $6000 each on Christmas Eve and the one player who won $1500 solo, none of these players had ever won before and I predict they will likely never win again.
One of those people is ahead of the other six on the leaderboard with $2,144, so she must have been one of the 2,006 winners last Thursday afternoon (or perhaps one of the 3,116 last Tuesday evening. I guess we'll see if she's still ahead of the rest on the weekly leaderboard after tonight).

Speaking of the weekly leaderboard, I just got to #72 by logging a win, my second in less than a week, today!
Seems I missed a big win in the past, there are actually 14 players now with $2143 or $2144, so there must have been a previous $15k game also split between 7 players. I guess the most recent race must not have been reflected yet in the leaderboard when I looked at it the other day.