Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

Lowe's commercial (e.g.). "Starts with" is their tagline:

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm still dumbfounded that "identify Nebraska on a map" got greenlit to be a $1600 clue. That's a $200 Kids Week clue.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 28, W: 1, costing 600
Coryat: 21,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 2/3
LT: none

Quite an exciting game. Looked like it could be another runaway, but turned into one of the closer games of the season. An impressive comeback by the challengers today.

I had a good game again today, with my right answers pretty evenly split between the two rounds. Got stumped only in the Critic category. I managed to keep my head in the game and pull out at least one answer quickly in categories I will sometimes tune out - Like the WWI Lit and pop culture CC. (Connie Chung was pretty easy for me, since she was an anchor of my local LA news before moving to the national scene.)

Felt good getting the first FJ of the week. Took a moment of thinking to find it, but I put the pieces together in time. It helps to be a bit of a car guy. I suspect this one will have a noticeable age component to the R/W ratio.

I suspect today's wagering would be one that would send Keith (of The Final Wager) to his drinks again. Lindsey's standard wager would be 11,601, but I can also make an argument for 199 or less. Marty's position would lead me to wager something between 10,201 and 11,399 (to stay ahead of a double by Dom and a miss by Lindsey). Dom would wager between 1,001 and 9,399 (to exceed a zero wager by Lindsey and stay ahead of Marty with his smallest reasonable wager). If I've done my cipherin' right, none of the players were in any of these ranges.

Naturally, all of this wagering strategy was made pointless by the FJ responses. Getting the clue right covers a multitude of wagering sins. (Except in the pocketbook, since Marty could have won another $5k or $6k with a better wager.)
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

40 R
DD: 2/3 (Congo, Azure)
FJ: :(
LT: Marsupium

Hand in face after not coming up with Shell Shock. Negged with Berry Berry.

Knew Charles Curtis at one time but escaped me.

Said Oldsmobile for final, getting within touching distance of the right asnswer.
Douglas Squasoni
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Criminals (3), Fitness (3), Critic (2), 8-Letter Words (4), Fedora (2), Explorer (5)
WWI Literature (3), Word Origins (1), Nations (5), C.C. & Me (4), Sheepish (3), Eurovision (4)

Lach Trash: Charles Curtis; Daily Double: shell shock

Instaget FJ.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

DBear wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm better to come up with a joke answer like Don than wave the white flag like Lindsay.
Looking at his almost-hopeful expression as his answer was revealed, I’m actually not so sure he was joking?

(and I didn’t get a chance to chat with him after that game)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

disappointed they didn't use cannibal corpse as part of a clue in the "cc and me" category
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm If all three get it right, third place wins the game. I hope Keith has someone drive him home from the gym.

The wording led me to a car and the Edsel. Marty was the only one to get it right. I wonder if this is one that skews to an older crowd, though Marty isn’t old enough to have seen one.

LT on Curtis. Know your obscure Veeps. He is also the only Native American to hold that post.
does age really matter? they got wwi clues correct and that obviously predates the edsel
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:08 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm If all three get it right, third place wins the game. I hope Keith has someone drive him home from the gym.

The wording led me to a car and the Edsel. Marty was the only one to get it right. I wonder if this is one that skews to an older crowd, though Marty isn’t old enough to have seen one.

LT on Curtis. Know your obscure Veeps. He is also the only Native American to hold that post.
does age really matter? they got wwi clues correct and that obviously predates the edsel
The Edsel is more pop culture than history - less staying power, perhaps. Dom thought the Arthurian musical Noel Coward didn't like was Spamalot. Maybe a similar problem of limited reach there.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 pm I'm still dumbfounded that "identify Nebraska on a map" got greenlit to be a $1600 clue. That's a $200 Kids Week clue.
Some of the production staff have Nebraska ties. Could it be sentimental valuation?
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:53 pm I'm also trying to figure out how two people missed this FJ. The reference to 2007 and the price were almost superfluous because with 1950s, ridiculed and victory lap, WECIB?
Humbling myself here. I missed it playing from my phone.

Ridiculed for a long time + lap (didn't pay attention to "victory") = fanny pack. Yes. I seriously thought fanny pack. My thought for pricing was maybe it was one Elvis or someone else really famous had been confirmed as wearing. My only consolation is that had I been on the show, people would've thought I was trying to be funny.

To be fair, I had just gotten out of 5 straight hours sitting in class and was walking to the parking lot to drive home when I read the clue. But still. There aren't enough :oops: to go around.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm DUMB CRIMINALS $800: When you “start with” robbing this home improvement store & end by trying to hide in a nudist resort, yep, you will get caught
I clammed instead of guessing Home Depot because "home" was in the clue.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Based on reading this item, definitely would have gotten FJ. We got WDIVed again today. Can't wait for the Olympics to end so we don't get these pre-emptions that aren't even on the schedule. Sports for people who don't like sports.

I don't understand why Sony can't get another local station to run Jeopardy if their contracted station just doesn't want to run it regularly anymore. Which seems to be the case with WDIV. They were pre-empting for the auto show last month. Detroit must be the only market in the country that doesn't get Jeopardy on a consistent basis.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 pm DUMB CRIMINALS $800: When you “start with” robbing this home improvement store & end by trying to hide in a nudist resort, yep, you will get caught
That's caused me to clam way too many times to count.

Also, I should've known it wasn't Home Depot because, thanks to constant advertising on Pandora, I know their slogan is "More saving, more doing". But I still knee-jerked "Home Depot" anyway because "blah blah blah home improvement store" is going to be "Home Depot" at least 99.999% of the time.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

Anachronism wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 pm Based on reading this item, definitely would have gotten FJ. We got WDIVed again today. Can't wait for the Olympics to end so we don't get these pre-emptions that aren't even on the schedule. Sports for people who don't like sports.

I don't understand why Sony can't get another local station to run Jeopardy if their contracted station just doesn't want to run it regularly anymore. Which seems to be the case with WDIV. They were pre-empting for the auto show last month. Detroit must be the only market in the country that doesn't get Jeopardy on a consistent basis.
Hmmm, I grew up in Toledo and we always had Detroit stations with a strong antenna, and later cable. I'm assuming that's not the case for vice versa?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 pm
The fact that "home" was in the clue led me ironically to Lowe's, because I figured the correct response wouldn't be partly contained in the clue.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Can anyone tell me the J!6 clue for the Eurovision category? I was really hoping they'd get through all those clues, and I got all the ones we saw. I thought maybe there would be a clue about Lordi or Conchita Wurst.

I clammed on the home improvement store because although the "home" in the clue made me lean toward Lowe's, I'd never heard that slogan associated with either place. For all I knew, there was a third big home improvement chain out in California, like how I used to be surrounded by Bests Buy and Circuits City, but Fry's simply doesn't exist here.

Near-instaget FJ. I got if before Alex finished reading, at least.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

buckeyebrain wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 pm
Anachronism wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 pm Based on reading this item, definitely would have gotten FJ. We got WDIVed again today. Can't wait for the Olympics to end so we don't get these pre-emptions that aren't even on the schedule. Sports for people who don't like sports.

Hmmm, I grew up in Toledo and we always had Detroit stations with a strong antenna, and later cable. I'm assuming that's not the case for vice versa?
I live 61 miles from the WTOL transmitter. I'd have a shot at it with an outdoor antenna, but we're trying to sell our house, so no point investing in anything. Also, when WDIV fails to show Jeopardy, it doesn't update what's sent to the programming guide, so we end up recording the nonsense. Unfortunately, WDIV is our only real option right now.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Don't forget how they will always preempt for the Ford Fireworks show. I remember about 5 years ago they would condense FJ so that you only had 5 seconds to solve. They did this for a couple of weeks without any stated reason.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 pm I'm still dumbfounded that "identify Nebraska on a map" got greenlit to be a $1600 clue. That's a $200 Kids Week clue.
And in case you're unsure, we'll label Wyoming, Montana, and both Dakotas to eliminate some possible mistakes! Sadly, I still clammed. It was one of those reveals where both the missus and I ended up open-mouthed saying, "Is THAT all you wanted?" There was so much verbiage flying around that we didn't process the ludicrously simple question wrapped up in it.