Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 12, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Foretopman »

I've been steering clear of the "J! drinking game" threads. Is "whenever there is a Nebraska reference" one of the suggestions?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:49 pm Can I make a poll request for shell shock?
Go for it. I've studied the treatment of PTSD, including its various incarnations throughout history as shell shock, battle fatigue, etc. This one was an Instaget, especially given "alliterative."

Seemed like overall a very well played game by all three. But their performances on FJ were a mystery to me. I thought even for younger contestants, Edsel is synonymous with failed products and would be a triple get. Then both leaders failed to wager enough to prevent being caught from behind. Truly, what's up with that?

My only LT of the night was Shropshire (lad), which tell me these three did a nice job of cleaning the boards.
And truly, what's up with that "Tuba" response? No clue so just say anything? That seemed strange.

Congrats to Marty on entering the J! players HoF, with a nice chance at this point to advance to the ToC. Nice streak for a most deserving winner.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Could the Nebraska clue have been a last-minute substitution?

If you google George Levick and penguins, you can read about the "bizarre" activities he discovered. I didn't post the link because of the sentivities of a specific board member.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dinghammer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 am Can anyone tell me the J!6 clue for the Eurovision category? I was really hoping they'd get through all those clues, and I got all the ones we saw. I thought maybe there would be a clue about Lordi or Conchita Wurst.
I play J!6 very quickly with little comprehension or memory of the material going for score instead in the pursuit of a 5500. I looked at a list of the winners and Lulu seems familiar, so perhaps the clue had a "To Sir With Love" trigger. Someone else who looked at them could perhaps agree or disagree?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:20 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 pm I'm still dumbfounded that "identify Nebraska on a map" got greenlit to be a $1600 clue. That's a $200 Kids Week clue.
Some of the production staff have Nebraska ties. Could it be sentimental valuation?
Or maybe the reverse--an exasperated acknowledgement that nobody knows anything about their home state.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

silverscreentest wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am If you google George Levick and penguins, you can read about the "bizarre" activities he discovered. I didn't post the link because of the sentivities of a specific board member.
Lies! Fake news! You can't prove anything!
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

silverscreentest wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am Could the Nebraska clue have been a last-minute substitution?
I don’t recall any “clue-ruining” glitches during the taping of this game.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Peter the accountant wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:50 pm I suspect today's wagering would be one that would send Keith (of The Final Wager) to his drinks again.
Keith will be appearing on Millionaire next Wednesday, the 21st.
DBear wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm Surprised at hearing that Katrina & the Waves did Eurovision.
An old friend of mine was the drummer for her on this past tour. I need to send that question to him.

ETA: Crud. My DVR is not allowing me to recover that show. Can anyone provide me with a stillshot of the Katrina question? Thanks in advance!
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:49 pm My only LT of the night was Shropshire (lad), which tell me these three did a nice job of cleaning the boards.
I only see two triple-stumpers, Shropshire and Charles Curtis. (And then the one DD missed, shell shock.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am Crud. My DVR is not allowing me to recover that show. Can anyone provide me with a stillshot of the Katrina question? Thanks in advance!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:08 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm If all three get it right, third place wins the game. I hope Keith has someone drive him home from the gym.

The wording led me to a car and the Edsel. Marty was the only one to get it right. I wonder if this is one that skews to an older crowd, though Marty isn’t old enough to have seen one.

LT on Curtis. Know your obscure Veeps. He is also the only Native American to hold that post.
does age really matter? they got wwi clues correct and that obviously predates the edsel
The Edsel is more pop culture than history - less staying power, perhaps. Dom thought the Arthurian musical Noel Coward didn't like was Spamalot. Maybe a similar problem of limited reach there.

that may be true about being more pop culture than history, but the youngin got bogart...and i am sure she has watched jeopardy before and the edsel has been mentioned on the show before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Anachronism wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 pm Based on reading this item, definitely would have gotten FJ. We got WDIVed again today. Can't wait for the Olympics to end so we don't get these pre-emptions that aren't even on the schedule. Sports for people who don't like sports.

I don't understand why Sony can't get another local station to run Jeopardy if their contracted station just doesn't want to run it regularly anymore. Which seems to be the case with WDIV. They were pre-empting for the auto show last month. Detroit must be the only market in the country that doesn't get Jeopardy on a consistent basis.
now you can feel my pain during the mlb playoff season...my local station for jeopardy is a fox affiliate and they refuse to air jeopardy episodes at a later time on days that have playoff games...and because of that i boycott dogfish head beer...the in laws of the dogfish head owner own the local fox affiliate...i mean...do people really watch reruns that are part of their late night programming? really irks the fukk out of me
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am that may be true about being more pop culture than history, but the youngin got bogart...and i am sure she has watched jeopardy before and the edsel has been mentioned on the show before
Famous actors stand the test of the time much better than more obscure points in pop culture, like the Edsel. Edsel also exists as a generic term for a marketing/product failure, but not in the same way that Bogart persists.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am
alietr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am Crud. My DVR is not allowing me to recover that show. Can anyone provide me with a stillshot of the Katrina question? Thanks in advance!
Thanks, Mark. I'll pass it along to him.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 pm
Said Oldsmobile for final, getting within touching distance of the right asnswer.
Maybe not touching distance, but perhaps close enough to see it -- a favorite period joke when the Edsel came out was that it "looks like an Oldsmobile sucking on a lemon."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:33 am
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 pm I'm still dumbfounded that "identify Nebraska on a map" got greenlit to be a $1600 clue. That's a $200 Kids Week clue.
And in case you're unsure, we'll label Wyoming, Montana, and both Dakotas to eliminate some possible mistakes! Sadly, I still clammed. It was one of those reveals where both the missus and I ended up open-mouthed saying, "Is THAT all you wanted?" There was so much verbiage flying around that we didn't process the ludicrously simple question wrapped up in it.
I had a similar "let's make it too complicated" moment with one of the fedora clues. All they wanted was "holodeck" but I went past that and spent my time trying to dredge up "Dixon Hill," the character Picard liked to role-play with the fedora on the holodeck. Wasn't able to recall the name until after I discovered it would have been incorrect anyway.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What a stunning last second surge by Lindsey. Weird betting all around, but I've no problem with Marty going for the middle. If the game breaks his way (combo poor wager by last and miss by winner), then he's not playing with house money, but with his. He's won enough that he's willing to wager 5K on the outcome of a random question, but not 10K to blow up his other paths to victory.

Instaget on Edsel, then rest of time wondering if it was going to be a triple get. I think the whole Edsel as whipping boy joke petered out as a staple of stand up comics and never really was a mainstream insult. Maybe the AMC Gremlin / Pacer replaced it? Or the Pinto?

I didn't even bother to look at the map on the Nebraska question. I just felt shame at my white privilege and the notion that good minded people don't recognize their own bigotry. I had not heard of the secessionist group but I have heard of Nebraska. It's the state that has a tree someplace. Plus Carhenge!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Pinto over Edsel here. Figured it was a car, but I always associate junky car with Pinto or if I'm feeling hipster, Chevette.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm I had a similar "let's make it too complicated" moment with one of the fedora clues. All they wanted was "holodeck" but I went past that and spent my time trying to dredge up "Dixon Hill," the character Picard liked to role-play with the fedora on the holodeck. Wasn't able to recall the name until after I discovered it would have been incorrect anyway.
Nice pull on Dixon Hill! I couldn't have come up with that. I gave the correct holodeck response even though I was momentarily distracted by Trebek's failure to pronounce the final d in "Picard". I don't know French at all, so I'm not sure if that pronunciation makes sense. I just know it's NOT the TNG pronunciation.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm I had a similar "let's make it too complicated" moment with one of the fedora clues. All they wanted was "holodeck" but I went past that and spent my time trying to dredge up "Dixon Hill," the character Picard liked to role-play with the fedora on the holodeck. Wasn't able to recall the name until after I discovered it would have been incorrect anyway.
Nice pull on Dixon Hill! I couldn't have come up with that. I gave the correct holodeck response even though I was momentarily distracted by Trebek's failure to pronounce the final d in "Picard". I don't know French at all, so I'm not sure if that pronunciation makes sense. I just know it's NOT the TNG pronunciation.
Yes, the final d would normally be silent in a French Picard. I thought this clue was oddly specific for such a general response - which had nothing to do with the category, anyway...I said holodeck, but I worried that there was some specific place he visited there. I wouldn't have been able to come up with that or his assumed name...