Monday, October 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, October 16, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:15 am
sims wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:06 pm
thenextofken wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 pm
If anyone was there, why exactly did Alex go to the podiums to talk to the players after the game?
It's what they do now. On my tape day, which was the first day back from taping hiatus, they said they were changing it. I don't like it as much.
Aw, darn, had they been doing that at the April taping, I might have been tempted to pull the Newscaster Trick and hide behind the lectern in shorts and sandals.

Completely irrelevant trivia: I actually tried this on the local quiz bowl TV show Battle of the Brains in high school, and the host (local comedian and stage actor Garrett Chester) called me out on it. I was obligated by the silliness of the moment to step out from behind the desk and perform a couple of Rockette-style kicks. (So there, Twitterverse; I was being silly on trivia shows long before I got paired up against Austin.)
After my appearance, I heard from several people I had been out of contact with for years or decades. A common theme was that they didn't realize until the end of the show how much .... um, portlier ... I had become over the years. Might have been nice to continue to stand behind the lectern and let them remember me as I was.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Danmel wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 pm Mallomars are very big here in the NYC metro area. In fact, like Italian prune plums and pumpkin spice, they are a harbinger of fall. Supermarket circulars actually have promos when they return "first of the season," as if they were produce. Love our Mallomars!
For final jeopardy, I thought 9-11 when spotted 2001 and went with Cantor Fitzgerald, even though the numbers seemed too high.
Cantor Fitzgerald came nowhere near going bankrupt after 9/11. In fact over the next 10 years they paid out $180M to the families of their workers who died that day.
http://nymag.com/news/9-11/10th-anniver ... itzgerald/

Just saw Mallomars in the grocery store yesterday evening. Would never have noticed them before...Not tempted by them, though...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,600
48 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Phoebe, juggling, Sinn Fein, Beatrix Potter

The $100 billion figure was a much more significant clue than many people probably realize. The GDP of the entire United States in 2000 was just under $10.3 trillion, so we're talking about 1% of the entire economy of the richest country on Earth. It had to be an incredibly large company, one with incredibly overstated revenue, or both.

I had only heard of Mallomars until last year, when 99 Cents Only--which only has stores in California, Nevada, Arizona, and Texas--somehow ended up with a huge supply of them. My wife bought 20-30 boxes of them, so I've now had my fair share and then some. As suggested in the clue, the thing that separates Mallomars from most other packaged cookies is that they are covered in real, honest-to-goodness chocolate. Quite delish.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Finally found 'em in the store, and haven't had them in quite a while. They are pretty darn tasty ...

Mallomars.jpg
Mallomars.jpg (66.14 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm They are pretty darn nasty ..
FTFY