Tuesday, February 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

I heard "roots" In the Costco clue and thought it was Dollar Tree. :? Got the skipjack trash, but took some strange highways in FJ! and end up over at the Waltons. :roll:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

38 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: The Three Daily Doubles

Ran Airports, Novel T's, and Maps.

My 100th post. Promoted to Loyal Jeopardista. :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Another fun Frank moment was the obvious distaste with which he responded, "What is Twilight?" My 22-year-old daughter got a kick out of that since she read those books back in the day and is now fatally embarrassed by that period of her life.

Interesting overlap in the SJ clue asking about the job of fictional character Atticus Finch and the DJ clue quoting the first line of To Kill a Mockingbird and asking for the book. If I hadn't been utterly sure of the correct response, I'd have been tempted to think Mockingbird must be wrong since we'd already had the Atticus Finch clue.

I didn't get what was going on with the anagrams category until the correct response was revealed to the first clue. After that I was disappointed that we didn't get to see any more. Once I understood what the deal was, I think I could've done pretty well.

At one of the breaks, they directed us to the J! site to find out what car Leno would like to add to his collection. I decided I wasn't interested. The correct answer, of course, is the Jaguar hearse from Harold and Maude, but that car was destroyed. Sniff.

Pre-called the Brady Bunch house off the FJ category. But 1960s, Bel-Air and $350 million steered me away from that to the correct response pretty quickly. I knew the Brady Bunch house was in the Valley somewhere (not Bel-Air). And even in that market, there's no way it's a multi-million dollar listing. I wonder what other clues they could've come up with for CLASSIC TV HOMES. Mary Richards' apartment? The Hartleys' building on The Bob Newhart Show? The Bunkers' place? Something from Dallas?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

What a delightful episode tonight. Marty, Frank, and Emily all got into it. It reminded me a lot of the shenanigans during my episode.

I watched Buffy pretty regularly and would have negged with "teacher" on that clue.

I love cars, and love Jay Leno, and love Jay Leno's Garage. I think what doomed that category was not Jay, but the sheer length of the clues. I don't know why they feel so compelled to have clues that are twice as long as normal, and then ask someone who's not familiar with reading clues to deliver them. Sure, the subject of each clue deserves its own mini-documentary, but maybe not during gameplay. :lol:

Marty's super-cheerful humility will be missed, but Frank is really fun to watch, and looks like a strong player. He just needs to learn to STAY CLAM or at least limit his low-percentage guessing to the top half of the board.

EDIT: I wonder if we're now finally seeing episodes that were taped after Austin's run and/or the 2017 ToC aired, and if that's why the contestants are living it up and playing the game a bit more like a game.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 pm Another fun Frank moment was the obvious distaste with which he responded, "What is Twilight?" My 22-year-old daughter got a kick out of that since she read those books back in the day and is now fatally embarrassed by that period of her life.

Interesting overlap in the SJ clue asking about the job of fictional character Atticus Finch and the DJ clue quoting the first line of To Kill a Mockingbird and asking for the book. If I hadn't been utterly sure of the correct response, I'd have been tempted to think Mockingbird must be wrong since we'd already had the Atticus Finch clue.

I didn't get what was going on with the anagrams category until the correct response was revealed to the first clue. After that I was disappointed that we didn't get to see any more. Once I understood what the deal was, I think I could've done pretty well.

At one of the breaks, they directed us to the J! site to find out what car Leno would like to add to his collection. I decided I wasn't interested. The correct answer, of course, is the Jaguar hearse from Harold and Maude, but that car was destroyed. Sniff.

Pre-called the Brady Bunch house off the FJ category. But 1960s, Bel-Air and $350 million steered me away from that to the correct response pretty quickly. I knew the Brady Bunch house was in the Valley somewhere (not Bel-Air). And even in that market, there's no way it's a multi-million dollar listing. I wonder what other clues they could've come up with for CLASSIC TV HOMES. Mary Richards' apartment? The Hartleys' building on The Bob Newhart Show? The Bunkers' place? Something from Dallas?
actually it is worth mult-millions...1.745 million...thought perhaps it was around 2.5 million...but definitely not 350 mil
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

finally a leader going into final jeopardy who wagered optimally...wagered enough to beat the dude by 1 buck if 2nd place wagered 0...most leave money on the table and wager enough to beat the dude by a dollar on a correct all in
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 pm
EDIT: I wonder if we're now finally seeing episodes that were taped after Austin's run and/or the 2017 ToC aired, and if that's why the contestants are living it up and playing the game a bit more like a game.
tape date for this was Nov 27th, so it's entirely possible that Frank was channeling some Austin. :)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 pm finally a leader going into final jeopardy who wagered optimally...wagered enough to beat the dude by 1 buck if 2nd place wagered 0...most leave money on the table and wager enough to beat the dude by a dollar on a correct all in
The problem with that strategy here is if second place bets $1,000 and gets it right when the leader gets it wrong. Yes, that would have been a bad bet by Marty, but his wager from second yesterday was less than ideal.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 pm Mary Richards' apartment?
The Mary Tyler Moore house in Minneapolis was sold recently. I don't remember what the closing price was but the asking price was 2 million.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm All NASDAQ ticker symbols have four characters.
Not true. I don't know of any single-letter companies, but there are many, many two- (FB) and three- (AAL) letter symbols.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Coryat: 19,200
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: Skipjack

Blah game for me. As usual, I'm terribly tired by the time I play on Tues/Thurs -- but that's probably good for my stamina, in the long run...

I agree that Leno's clues were too long, even though he was nice and fast reading them, and that the To Kill a Mockingbird double-up was a little unexpected.

TV is my worst Jeopardy category, and Classic TV is worst of the worst, though I'd like to improve. I wrote down Addams Family; best I could do.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 pm All NASDAQ ticker symbols have four characters.
Not true. I don't know of any single-letter companies, but there are many, many two- (FB) and three- (AAL) letter symbols.
I looked it up. They changed in 2007 to allowing fewer than four.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Leno (2), Hormones (1), Folks (3), Wood (1), Airports (5), Anagrams (1)
Puzzles (1), NASDAQ (1), Map (5), Novel "T"S (4), Presidential (3), Sad! (4)

No Lach Trash; Daily Doubles: Alexander the Great, the bank

Instaget FJ.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 pm Interesting that we've had several 50s/60s themed FJs the last few days
Spoiler
(The Right Stuff, Edsel,
Beverly Hillbillies).

I'm a Sam's Club guy so I'm unable to weigh in on the dispute above. ;)

FJ: :mrgreen:
(Ironhorse - you may want to spoiler your post)
I noticed the same thing which gives me my first 5 in a row since I started paying attention via the poll. But not in the same week so the box of glory is still out of reach. Hope I can get to 3! (factorial) in RobW's game tomorrow as he starts his 30 game streak without any Penguin support!

I am kind of glad they wiped out the Leno clues first so the DJ gameplay would be legit (not shortened by clearing the SJ board). Sorry for the boardies that the cute anagram category had to suffer, but I don't bother with them anymore than Sudoku or jigsaw puzzles. Too much work, don't learn anything.

The Beverly Hillbillies is the most endearing show of my life, give or take a few of the awful plot lines (Jethrine, Elly's critters, Pearl). Some story arcs like Jethro as a double-naught spy, their castle in England, the beatnik shows and the job ambitions are pure gold. I've introduced dozens of QC auditors to our company's use of "gazintas" and "divisy's" in our in-process inspection system. You can't see the Kirkeby mansion from the road but it still is a fantastic cruise up there for the tall hedge and the palm trees. So yes, the hillbilly got this FJ!

I liked Marty's run, but he was beat fair and square by a good player.

edit p.s. - The Kirkeby mansion is not for sale now according to Zillow, and is estimated at about $40 million. The writers must have known the 2017 listing was a vanity listing but used it anyway. It is conceivable that a $40M listing might make you think of a dump in today's market. If anyone wants a hovel in the midwest, I'm going to list at a cool $349 M, just to say I did :roll:
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm actually it is worth mult-millions...1.745 million...thought perhaps it was around 2.5 million...but definitely not 350 mil
Yes, but hanging out in Mike's den = priceless. :D

Costcos near me also have a single box containing two bags of cereal, the only exception I know of is the Quaker granola cereal which is two bags that are connected.
davey

Post by davey »

The nearest bulk purchase store to me is B.J.'s so that's what I said though I feel pretty silly about that now...
Wasn't it a little startling that Alex gave "The bank" as the correct response to the Jackson clue? Shouldn't it have been "Bank of the United States"? Or at least "the national bank"...
The FJ was easy but seemed like another of those too-much-writing clues to me...a lot of l's!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Perhaps it’s just me but I didn’t really see the Jay Leno category as being about cars. I use the j-scorer site to track my Coryat and part of the site lets you enter the topic of the category so you can track your performance in various topics like in LL. I didn’t code that as “cars” though as I felt most questions more relied on knowledge of history than cars.

Also I heard recently that Macedonia renamed their airport recently (possibly after taping) because Greece strongly objects any time the Republic of Macedonia tries to claim Alexander.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:00 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 pm Mary Richards' apartment?
The Mary Tyler Moore house in Minneapolis was sold recently. I don't remember what the closing price was but the asking price was 2 million.
According to Zillow, it was listed at $2.9 million in 2012, went through several price changes, dropping to $1.7 million in 2016. It sold for $1.45 million last September. It's now owned by some trust in Kansas City and they recently rented it for Super Bowl week at about $90,000 (the house is about 4 miles from the new stadium).

It's apparently a 9,500 - square foot house on about a third of an acre (not much room for a yard) built in 1892. It's supposedly single-family and has seven bedrooms and nine bathrooms. And, still, no one has ever seen Lars.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

tiwonge wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:58 pm In the category Jay Leno's Garage, Charles de Gaulle seemed hard for the top clue, and World's Fair seemed easy for the $800 clue. Maybe they should have been swapped?
I had the opposite reaction. The de Gaulle clue gave us "1962," "french president," "assassins," and a picture of the man in service dress. The World's Fair clue's description of an "exhibition of space-age technology," made me clam since World's Fairs are general cultural exhibitions and not exclusively centered around technology.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 pm I said dancer for Lola's job. Judges?
I said the same but didn't mark myself up or down for it figuring the judges would've BMS'd it and I'm not sure if I would've worked through the lyrics in time (I'm no fanilow).
I would prefer not to.