Wednesday, February 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woppy T »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 am I have to say I'm going to miss Frank's energy on the show, but Rob, wow, great win, and excellent capper at the end with the live macarena performance. Seeing the two of you openly going back and forth with encouragement and fist-bumps on DDs was amazing, and really brought back the fun of J! that we've seen in the most recent ToC and a couple of other games/contestants this season. Congratulations on converting "Jeopardy! contestant" to "Jeopardy! champion", and good retro-luck tonight!
I don't think I've ever seen so much obvious goodwill between contestants. In addition to the fist-bumps, it looked like the camera cut away just before a hug (or maybe a high five?) after the FJ results were announced.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pm I had to laugh at the champ's answer of Menomonie Wisconsin because it's a small college town that they will never ever ask about on Jeopardy. Plus it's nowhere near the 414 area code.
As it's been pointed out, there is a Menomonee (Falls) - which is near Milwaukee. Who knew why Meonomonee (or Menomonie) stuck in Frank's head - or why Milwaukee didn't occur to him but it wasn't even the worst answer in the category, i.e., Spokane. Presumably, Frank rang in because he knew he needed to get back into the game and was hoping that the answer would come.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:45 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pm I had to laugh at the champ's answer of Menomonie Wisconsin because it's a small college town that they will never ever ask about on Jeopardy. Plus it's nowhere near the 414 area code.
As it's been pointed out, there is a Menomonee (Falls) - which is near Milwaukee. Who knew why Meonomonee (or Menomonie) stuck in Frank's head - or why Milwaukee didn't occur to him but it wasn't even the worst answer in the category, i.e., Spokane. Presumably, Frank rang in because he knew he needed to get back into the game and was hoping that the answer would come.
Menominee/Menominie was the first thing that came into my head too, though luckily I came to the right response before uttering anything.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 pm
Menominee/Menominie was the first thing that came into my head too, though luckily I came to the right response before uttering anything.
I was shocked Tallahassee went unused.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I derped that clue because I thought there was only one "E" in the quotation marks, and was racking my brains trying to find a town in Wisconsin that began with E and coming up high and dry.

I find that's too often a trap on those "the correct response will contain these letters" categories. My brain always translates that as "the correct response will start with these letters". I wonder if the contestants had the same misfire?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 pm
Or the Chattahoochee. I don't think they used Truckee either, which would have fit into the California bias the writers seem to have now and then.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:12 pm Or the Chattahoochee.
F#$% me, I said Chattahoochee instead of the Tennessee River. That makes more sense, I guess.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 pm
It was the 6th question.
Knittin'Kate
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Knittin'Kate »

RobW wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:27 pm That was a loud and enthusiastic studio audience today.

I am also (indirectly) responsible for that.
:)

I had three very enthusiastic cheerleaders. (my wife, her mom and aunt)
Rob, congratulations! Nice to 'see' you again!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 20, W: 6, costing 6000
Coryat: 10,800
FJ: :(
DD: 0/3
LT: home, Gamaliel

Bouncing around the Edison category cost me a neg at the bottom. I went with Tesla, which appeared higher up in the category (and one I got right). Had I already seen that clue, I probably would have clammed at the bottom, knowing that the probability of the same answer twice in a single category is pretty much 1 - 1. ;)

In general, lots of expensive wrong answers on my part today. I haven't missed 6 in a while now. I think the bounce has a bit of an effect on me. Hopefully, there will be more in tomorrow's game so I can practice dealing with that.

Music of the 90s is a blank for me, and I had no idea what macarena translated into. So I'll help add to the minority side of the poll.

Continued retro luck to Rob for tomorrow's game - which I will start watching in a couple of minutes.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pmAm I the only one here who has all the old stock area codes memorized?
Probably. ;)
--Peter
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Am I the only one here who has all the old stock area codes memorized?
Sounds like a TD idea. Possibly too difficult?

I'm impressed you know Menomonie. "When in doubt, go to Stout!"
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 pm I was shocked Tallahassee went unused.
Tallahassee is near the Suwanee River -- maybe they were trying to avoid places that were too geographically close.

This is the sign Florida uses on both the Interstate 10 and Interstate 75 crossings of the river:

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Peter the accountant wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 pmAm I the only one here who has all the old stock area codes memorized?
Probably. ;)
That's nothing. I still use the old prefix exchange abbreviations when I can. For those too young:

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/Recommended.html

Most advertising gave the exchange and the 4 digit number. My home phone was Fleetwood 8 -XXXX, and the big city of Joplin was Mayfair 4 and Mayfair 3. Of course all of us have old family postcards and mail just addressed to Name, City.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 am I have to say I'm going to miss Frank's energy on the show, but Rob, wow, great win, and excellent capper at the end with the live macarena performance. Seeing the two of you openly going back and forth with encouragement and fist-bumps on DDs was amazing, and really brought back the fun of J! that we've seen in the most recent ToC and a couple of other games/contestants this season. Congratulations on converting "Jeopardy! contestant" to "Jeopardy! champion", and good retro-luck tonight!
I don't think I've ever seen so much obvious goodwill between contestants. In addition to the fist-bumps, it looked like the camera cut away just before a hug (or maybe a high five?) after the FJ results were announced.

“There is no fear when you’re having fun.”
-Will Thomas

plus it appears that staying relaxed is a good path to Jeopardy success ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:47 pm Congrats, Rob. Only 29 more victories for you to go before the Penguin finds out!
:lol:

Finally saw this game. A belated but very hearty congratulations to Rob.