Thursday, February 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, February 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

I wonder how many people my Current Events post on Tonga misled.

When the Phantom clue was revealed, my first thought was: "Who originated the Christine role? MIchael Crawford was the Phantom and they're not going to ask about anyone else..." It did not come to me in time.

So of course the first commercial after DJ! was for Symbicort. Though outside of the "four letter disease," I don't think there was any overlap.

For FJ, first wrote down tycoon then thought that'd be really brutal for the clue as written, thought, let's go with the obvious then. Yeay obvious!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Midway through Alex reading FJ, I was thinking "samurai" due to the "one who serves" part, but then switched to daimyo by the end of the clue since not all samurai owned property and received rent from serfs, whereas all daimyo did.

Not my favorite clue.

Good job by Rob in betting everything on his first DD. A common mistake by contestants is not to do so, and in this case, it might well have been the difference between winning and losing.

Considering the solid performance by the contestants in the American literature category (Rob got John Gray, and Shawn got William Seward Burroughs, neither of which was easy), I'm surprised they missed the easier Ethan Frome at $2000.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 pm I wonder how many people my Current Events post on Tonga misled.
I'm terrible at identifying those tiny little islands (in the Pacific or Caribbean), but tiny Pacific islands + monarchy? Tonga. (Technically all of the Commonwealth nations are as well, but then I'd throw something at the clue writer.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
44 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: New Year's Eve, granola, cottage (fries), Boomtown Rats, somersault, island, Ethan Frome, Tonga, Department of Veterans' Affairs (DD)

Great run, Rob!

As a formerly fluent Japanese speaker, I am very embarrassed to have missed this FJ! Another shogun here.

Interesting that the Barbados clue mirrored a question in this week's LearnedLeague One-Day Special on Whiskers.

The lawyer factoid about Warren Christopher seemed unnecessary and negbaity. On the other hand, mentioning that Togo West was a former Army lieutenant was a perfect TOM for a DD. Defense is probably the first thing that springs to mind, but lieutenant is a fairly low rank, so that wouldn't be considered a qualification for SecDef. It would, however, make sense to have a veteran head up Veterans' Affairs.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 am On the other hand, mentioning that Togo West was a former Army lieutenant was a perfect TOM for a DD.
Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out if there was a cabinet department involved in "going west"...

For FJ, I precalled 47 Ronin, then remembered that was quite a bit after the medieval era (I think it was based on real events?), which might be why samurai didn't even occur to me for the actual clue.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I credit playing this Sporcle quiz fairly recently for getting that Final:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/trusting3 ... y-think-so
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 pm
artshep wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm "Jazeera" does not mean 'Penninsula' in Arabic. It means 'Island.' Not sure how/why the writers got that wrong.
I'm guessing here (from wiki):

Al Jazeera (Arabic: الجزيرة‎ al-ǧazīrah, IPA: [æl dʒæˈziːrɐ], literally "The Island", though referring to the Arabian Peninsula in context[1]

Where [1] leads to: What does "Al Jazeera" mean?

The name "Al Jazeera" means "peninsula." Al Jazeera's distinctive logo is said to resemble a drop of water. Its calligraphic design spells "Al Jazeera" in Arabic. The logo was created via a design competition and has become one of the world's most widely recognized brand marks.
Note that Al Jazeera / peninsula was an FJ a few years ago...

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3546
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:17 am I credit playing this Sporcle quiz fairly recently for getting that Final:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/trusting3 ... y-think-so

Good quiz! I've been thinking about a trip to Japan. As for Janet Reno's Dance Party, she was a dour woman & SNL had a running skit about her being a fun person. I did get samurai. I thought shogun was too high up & id never get daimyo before. Now I know. Phantom of the Opera looks dreadful.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

instaget on final jeopardy.
james clavell was a wonderful writer. the first chronological book in his "asian saga" was "shogun." just about all my knowledge of japan, its history, and its culture comes from that book.
for the record, all of the asian saga books are thinly-veiled (and accurately-detailed) versions of real history! the "toronaga" of "shogun" was real-life shogun iyeyasu. "john blackthorne" in "shogun" was real-life british navigator william adams, who really was stranded in japan around 1600, and became a close advisor of iyeyasu. "struan's" of "tai-pan" and "noble house" was real-life jardines-matheson. writer "peter marlowe" of "king rat" and "noble house" was clavell himself! hai!
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

alan tiger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:50 am instaget on final jeopardy.
james clavell was a wonderful writer. the first chronological book in his "asian saga" was "shogun." just about all my knowledge of japan, its history, and its culture comes from that book.
I love Clavell and Shogun too, although I got today's FJ wrong, regardless! Incidentally, you should check out Noble House if you haven't already; I rank that and Shogun 1a and 1b among Clavell's best works.
artshep
Contributor

Post by artshep »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 pm
artshep wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm "Jazeera" does not mean 'Penninsula' in Arabic. It means 'Island.' Not sure how/why the writers got that wrong.
I'm guessing here (from wiki):

Al Jazeera (Arabic: الجزيرة‎ al-ǧazīrah, IPA: [æl dʒæˈziːrɐ], literally "The Island", though referring to the Arabian Peninsula in context[1]

Where [1] leads to: What does "Al Jazeera" mean?

The name "Al Jazeera" means "peninsula." Al Jazeera's distinctive logo is said to resemble a drop of water. Its calligraphic design spells "Al Jazeera" in Arabic. The logo was created via a design competition and has become one of the world's most widely recognized brand marks.
Wiki is right - literally, the word means 'Island' in Arabic, not 'Penninsula.' Though I can understand why one would be confused after a quick check on Wiki and the Al-Jazeera FAQ page. Sloppy writing, especially since the clue itself was leading to a correct response of 'Island.'

The fact that "Al-Jazeera" (the name of the network), in context, refers to the Arabian Penninsula doesn't make that the meaning of the word.

I thought this could be a regional dialect issue, so checked with Gulf and Egyptian speakers just to be sure.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Congrats on win #2 Rob! I thought for sure you were going to coast after nailing that TDD in round one, but credit to Shawn for making a good game out of it.

Another response of "shogun" here, but samurai makes sense in hindsight.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

alan tiger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:50 am instaget on final jeopardy.
for the record, all of the asian saga books are thinly-veiled (and accurately-detailed) versions of real history! the "toronaga" of "shogun" was real-life shogun iyeyasu. "john blackthorne" in "shogun" was real-life british navigator william adams, who really was stranded in japan around 1600, and became a close advisor of iyeyasu. "struan's" of "tai-pan" and "noble house" was real-life jardines-matheson. writer "peter marlowe" of "king rat" and "noble house" was clavell himself! hai!
I re-watched the whole series recently. During one of the scenes where the ship carrying Blackthorne is docking, I noticed a motorboat puttering along far in the background. I was greatly amused.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

after seeing the clue i said it was either shogun or samurai...unfortunately i went with the former
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

While “daimyo” seems to fit the clue perfectly (if you’re unaware it translates approximately to “large private landowner”), it is a very obscure term to be used as a FJ! answer. The only hits for it in the archive are in the clue for a $2000 DD from 2009 and a $600 clue from 1990 (http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search). In both cases, daimyo is in the body of the clue text and not the answer (“shogun” and “Japan,” respectively).
I would prefer not to.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

For those wondering about FJ!: "samurai" comes from the root word "saburau," which means "to serve."
アタックチャンス!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

I got Tonga because of the Sporcle quiz where you just list all the countries. I managed to get 100% on that one by grouping countries, so that getting one in the group would lead to getting them all. For example, I use Austria/Hungary, Guinea/Guinea-Bissau/Equatorial Guinea, Vanuatu/Palau/Tuvalu/Nauru/Kiribati, and Greece/Malta/Cyprus, and Tonga/Fiji/Samoa, among others.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

threearruda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 am Congrats on win #2 Rob! I thought for sure you were going to coast after nailing that TDD in round one, but credit to Shawn for making a good game out of it.

Shogun crossed my mind and I knew that was wrong, and I ended up settling on "Bushido," which I also knew was wrong. Samurai also crossed my mind, but for some reason, I didn't give it a second thought.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I guess this FJ was one where having just enough knowledge - but not very much - was useful. I never heard the term daimyo (that I know of) so it wasn't part of the equation for me. It was really shogun or samurai and as several others have pointed out, the Clavell novel (and miniseries) suggested that shogun was too high in the pecking order and accordingly, samurai was the only logical choice. Plus, with foreign words/phrases, Jeopardy tends to stick to those that are pretty commonly known in the US. So, I could have seen someone guess "ninja" too, for example.

Geisha, on the other hand ... :shock: (Not that there's really any complaint about it when one still ends up winning). :D
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

threearruda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 am
Ditto, and ditto. Boo, hiss, as "shogun" spoils my modest streak of 5 correct FJs.

Lousy wagering from second place...UGH! I often wonder, after people do what Shawn did in this game, at some point does someone belatedly show them some of the ins and outs of Wagering 101, and how they would have won these games with a sensible wager? And if so, how badly do they injure themselves with the ensuing dope-slap?

J! just had to go and show a picture of the Bastille Day military parade in Paris! Good thing you-know-who doesn't watch this show, to give him any more ideas about similar parades in the US.

Let's see if Rob makes good use of the lovely gift Shawn gave him, and wins #3 on Friday.