Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 pm Interesting to me so many here seem to have gone right to "Neverland" rather than "Wonderland." Seemed like a coin toss to me and I picked wrong.
If you know the story of Peter Pan, and not just the Disney animated movie which doesn’t mention it, you would know that the lost boys got to Neverland by falling out of strollers.
Nope. Never read the original, so I knew nothing about this factoid. I know what a perambulator is and where Kensington Garden is, and got Bupkes. I finally wagged at "Toyland" (as in "Babes in....") with zero confidence. Which turned out to be overly optimistic.

Falling out of strollers and getting lost, eh? Sounds like the sort of lame excuse a pedophile would come up with.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:33 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 pm Interesting to me so many here seem to have gone right to "Neverland" rather than "Wonderland." Seemed like a coin toss to me and I picked wrong.
If you know the story of Peter Pan, and not just the Disney animated movie which doesn’t mention it, you would know that the lost boys got to Neverland by falling out of strollers.
Nope. Never read the original, so I knew nothing about this factoid. I know what a perambulator is and where Kensington Garden is, and got Bupkes. I finally wagged at "Toyland" (as in "Babes in....") with zero confidence. Which turned out to be overly optimistic.

Falling out of strollers and getting lost, eh? Sounds like the sort of lame excuse a pedophile would come up with.
It’s a pretty esoteric bit of trivia from the Peter Pan stories. I expected it to be a TS.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The stroller bit is in the Robin Williams/Steven Spielberg movie Hook, so thats what tipped things in my favor.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm Only one of five clues played in REALITY TV SHOWS? I feel like my Coryat was deprived of 2800.
GRRRRRR. The amount of clues left on the board this week has been aggravating, but this was more free money down the drain. RIP.

John _. Calhoun, a bottom row clue? Daniel, a TS? (Heathens, all of you ;) ) Pericles, ______ of Tyre, a TS? And none of them knew were Talladega is. If any of them know any Shakespeare or NASCAR fans, they'll never hear the end of it :lol:

If I've seen the word 'perambulator' before, I don't remember. Sure as hell couldn't guess what it was (my best WAG was a wheelchair :oops: ). So, Kensington Gardens is in England...British + fictional place + doesn't sound like it's describing Wonderland? Let's try Neverland. Whew.

Congrats on #3, Rob! 5 demerits for the wager :lol:
is john calhoun that common knowledge? had never heard of that dude before this game...though i don't know shittt about american vice presidents from the 19th century
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i agree...i said neverland or wonderland...which one...2 days in a row a 50/50...this time i got the coin flip correct...4 out of 5 this week
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am If you don't know what a perambulator is then this is literally impossible.
not really...from the clue it is obviously some british bullshit...think of british literature with fictional places and neverland would be one of the top 5 that come to mind
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm If Vinay had solved the FJ! clue then DD3’s wager would have really mattered.
Not so much, given the FJ wagers.
Oh yeah, right. 25K is just a bit short of Rob's 32K and way below the needed cover up to $35,600.

I wonder if Vinay had the right story and turned the Darling family nursery into the infirmary? Or Burnett's A Little Princess and pops in the hospital?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm I really liked Vinay but generally I always have to root for a boardie.
We've had a number of very likeable contestants this week; Rob has been fun to root for but it's unfortunate that for some to win, others have to lose. Vinay seemed to have a grin that reminded me very much of Andy Kaufman -- makes one wonder if it's a shy smile or a sly smile. Fun game to watch.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:45 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm I really liked Vinay but generally I always have to root for a boardie.
We've had a number of very likeable contestants this week; Rob has been fun to root for but it's unfortunate that for some to win, others have to lose. Vinay seemed to have a grin that reminded me very much of Andy Kaufman -- makes one wonder if it's a shy smile or a sly smile. Fun game to watch.
Vinay reminded me of Jonny Moseley. I probably wouldn't have made the connection if the Olympics weren't going on right now.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:28 pm I wonder if Vinay had the right story and turned the Darling family nursery into the infirmary? Or Burnett's A Little Princess and pops in the hospital?
If they ever ask about A Little Princess, keep in mind that later dramatizations made certain changes to the story. In Burnett's original book,
Spoiler
Pop's dead. Aiiieeee! :o
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I guessed The Secret Garden on FJ.
davey

Post by davey »

I don't see that anyone has mentioned that there's a famous statue, commissioned by Barrie, of Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens...

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/ken ... pan-statue
I was only vaguely aware of the statue, but knowing what a perambulator is (I'm surprised so many have said they didn't), what fictional land has many children as residents?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

One more reference for the Kate Bush fans:
Oh, England, my Lionheart!
Peter Pan steals the kids in Kensington Park. . .
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am If you don't know what a perambulator is then this is literally impossible.
not really...from the clue it is obviously some british bullshit...think of british literature with fictional places and neverland would be one of the top 5 that come to mind
Narnia came to mind but I'm familiar enough with it to know that's not the backstory.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 pm FJ Wagering: Vinay would normally wager 15,901 to protect from a double by Rob. But if he misses, that wager will leave him with 3800. Gianna should wager less than 200 to stay above that number, which she did. Because of that Rob doesn't need to worry about her ending with more than 4200. So his wager should be no more than 13,600. Painfully for Vinay, had he gotten the question correct, he didn't wager enough to stay ahead of Rob and still would have finished in 2nd place.
No. Rob should wager no more than $9799 to stay ahead of a double up from third. You never assume rational wagers, you never let somebody back into the game you don't have to.
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:06 pm It's great having a boardie on the show, but it's too bad these good players are one and done. It just increases my disdain for the paltry 2nd/3rd place prizes. Pay these contestant's expenses dammit!
Or perhaps they're not that good if they are getting beat?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:09 pm
[citation needed]

Even if I did know what one was, I don't know much of anything about the Peter Pan universe, so I had no idea what a new baby buggy would have to do with Peter Pan at all.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 pm what fictional land has many children as residents?
Why would we assume they were still children?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:41 pm
davey wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 pm what fictional land has many children as residents?
Because we drew an inference from "the least useful part of the entire clue."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm
You don't need to be condescending about it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:55 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm
You don't need to be condescending about it.
Sorry, I was looking through your posting history to see whether you said you'd gotten FJ right or not before I answered you, and I couldn't resist when I saw you said that about the clearest link the clue had to children.