Thursday, February 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, February 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

The Phantom of the Opera (2), Holidays & Observances (4), Live Aid (4), 1930s (4), Breakfast (1), Synonym (2)

American Books & Authors (4), Charitable (4), Country (4), "I" Catching (1), Clinton (4), Medications (1)

Lach Trash: The Boomtown Rats, somersault, island, Ethan Frome, Tonga; Daily Double: Veterans' Affairs

Instaget FJ.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 am Geisha, on the other hand ... :shock: (Not that there's really any complaint about it when one still ends up winning). :D
Yeah I knew it was wrong too - it was a last minute flailing attempt. I spent 28 seconds trying to get my brain to let go of “shogun” which I knew was wrong, and the wording of that clue just didn’t get me anywhere close to “samurai”

(but of course it was a facepalm the moment I heard Alex say it...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm guessing Rob was saying hello to Carol Burnett's grandmother? :lol: (Surprised Alex didn't know the reference)

(I had the idea it'd be a cute thing to do in player intros, but if I did it now, it'd just seem like I was copying Rob.)
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm The players got the Phantom category out of the way first and Rob was off to a good start with 3 right for +$2,400 in it.
Surprised Rob, as a boardie, led with that category, despite it being a strength, as not leaving its contractually-obligated appearance to the end guaranteed there'd be clues left on the board. :(
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 pm Matt did not win although he did get a plug in for Metal Shakespeare Company. Some of the YT comments mention J!, so it worked. 20 seconds of this video were enough for me. Ear/volume alert depending on one's taste.
Spoiler
THANK YOU! Definitely the type of metal I like! (I sense an Iron Maiden influence) And, being a metal-loving nerd, combining metal and Shakespeare means I definitely have to check out more of their stuff.

(And volume alert indeed, I had to crank it to the max to enjoy it to its full potential. ;) )
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 pm
artshep wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:21 pm "Jazeera" does not mean 'Penninsula' in Arabic. It means 'Island.' Not sure how/why the writers got that wrong.
I'm guessing here (from wiki):

Al Jazeera (Arabic: الجزيرة‎ al-ǧazīrah, IPA: [æl dʒæˈziːrɐ], literally "The Island", though referring to the Arabian Peninsula in context[1]

Where [1] leads to: What does "Al Jazeera" mean?

The name "Al Jazeera" means "peninsula." Al Jazeera's distinctive logo is said to resemble a drop of water. Its calligraphic design spells "Al Jazeera" in Arabic. The logo was created via a design competition and has become one of the world's most widely recognized brand marks.
For those wondering why they'd use the term for island to refer to a clear peninsula (trivia fact, the Arabian is Earth's largest peninsula), a good western equivalent is using the name "Coney Island" to refer to a peninsular area. So I don't want to hear any fuss out of people.
Category 13 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 pm Matt was a nice chap but he gave me reason to root against him after he refused to finish out the Live Aid Set List category.
The three clues left on the board deprived me of three "horizontal runs" (that is, getting all the clues of a specific dollar value correct on the board). (While I've been noting category runs, as many of you do, I also have been noting "horizontal runs" (board hive mind: can someone come up with a better name?) as another good way of testing skill level. As the six clues that share a dollar value are always of different subject matter, a horizontal run shows mastery at that level of different types of trivia. I hope this concept catches on on the board.)
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 pm So of course the first commercial after DJ! was for Symbicort. Though outside of the "four letter disease," I don't think there was any overlap.
I'm also in a market where Symbicort always airs the first ad in the commercial set between DJ! and FJ!, and was surprised they didn't go with one of their own sponsors for that clue, but then, since J! is syndicated, I don't think (other than Geico of course) that they know who is sponsoring them in any given market, I'm sure there are boardies here that don't have a Symbicort ad running during J! at all.
dinghammer wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 am On the other hand, mentioning that Togo West was a former Army lieutenant was a perfect TOM for a DD.
Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out if there was a cabinet department involved in "going west"...
I think whoever the contestant was was going for Interior if I remember correctly, which would probably be the cabinet department most associated with "going west".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RobW

Post by RobW »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 pm I'm guessing Rob was saying hello to Carol Burnett's grandmother? :lol: (Surprised Alex didn't know the reference)
shameless flirtation with a hottie in the audience! :oops:
dhkendall wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 pm (I had the idea it'd be a cute thing to do in player intros, but if I did it now, it'd just seem like I was copying Rob.)
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm The players got the Phantom category out of the way first and Rob was off to a good start with 3 right for +$2,400 in it.
Surprised Rob, as a boardie, led with that category, despite it being a strength, as not leaving its contractually-obligated appearance to the end guaranteed there'd be clues left on the board. :(
Mainly I couldn't resist it, but in the SJ round I like the "get 'em out of the way" approach.
Better to leave SJ clues unseen if it means a better chance of getting through the DJ board, amiright?
dhkendall wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 pm
dinghammer wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 am On the other hand, mentioning that Togo West was a former Army lieutenant was a perfect TOM for a DD.
Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out if there was a cabinet department involved in "going west"...
I think whoever the contestant was Shawn was going for Interior if I remember correctly, which would probably be the cabinet department most associated with "going west".
I agree that was a well-written DJ daily double clue.
Thank heaven I didn't find it.
If I had been so unlucky, I think I would have:
  • aggressively bet 6k of my 16k although I knew how weak I was in that category, maybe only 2k?
  • desperately blurted "Defense" with about 1% more confidence than we saw from Shawn
  • probably continued to a 2nd place pre-final finish
  • hopefully still won on the triple-stumper thank to better betting strategy
Thankfully I'll never know!

Man there is so much luck in this game...
RobW

Post by RobW »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:04 pm The bottom box clue in the synonym category is why you don't start there first. I was stunned to see a Physics question and might have clammed because I think the clue referred to particle physics, and spin is not used interchangeably with angular momentum in the quantum realm. And it is just one component of angular momentum in the classical realm, so synonymous it's not.
This Chemistry major took enough Physics that he was mightly annoyed to miss that.

You may be right about starting at the bottom contributing to that miss, but to be honest I didn't "get" the theme of SYNONYM ROLL until at least the second time I watched this episode! :?
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

RobW wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:04 pm The bottom box clue in the synonym category is why you don't start there first. I was stunned to see a Physics question and might have clammed because I think the clue referred to particle physics, and spin is not used interchangeably with angular momentum in the quantum realm. And it is just one component of angular momentum in the classical realm, so synonymous it's not.
This Chemistry major took enough Physics that he was mightly annoyed to miss that.

You may be right about starting at the bottom contributing to that miss, but to be honest I didn't "get" the theme of SYNONYM ROLL until at least the second time I watched this episode! :?
I was hoping some boardie would also have some insight on this. I didn't notice anyone claiming the Lach Trash on it and in my case, I may have known too much, or thought I did anyway :? . I'm sure I was taught in context that quantum spin number (integer and 1/2 increments) had nothing to do with angular momentum or physical spin. But it could easily Pavlov for angular momentum if you keep the particle physics out of it.

I still don't quite recall the phrasing, but in light of the category (which I also didn't pay enough attention to), yes, the spin -> roll TOM offers plenty of ways to get the desired answer and overlook the technicalities. But this was a $2000 hot potato IMHO. Guesses and stabs in 2K box is bad karma.

Rob - It's a treat to have you blogging along in virtual real time with us. You are able to live vicariously through yourself - way cool! I hope your run continues and your payday is put off another 30 days!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RobW wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:27 pm
Mainly I couldn't resist it, but in the SJ round I like the "get 'em out of the way" approach.
Better to leave SJ clues unseen if it means a better chance of getting through the DJ board, amiright?
That’s not a bad way of thinking actually!
RobW wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:27 pm Man there is so much luck in this game...
Yeah I’m told some boardie talks about that in his signature but I never pay attention to his posts as he never has anything useful to say. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:13 pm
RobW wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I was hoping some boardie would also have some insight on this. I didn't notice anyone claiming the Lach Trash on it and in my case, I may have known too much, or thought I did anyway :? . I'm sure I was taught in context that quantum spin number (integer and 1/2 increments) had nothing to do with angular momentum or physical spin. But it could easily Pavlov for angular momentum if you keep the particle physics out of it.

I still don't quite recall the phrasing, but in light of the category (which I also didn't pay enough attention to), yes, the spin -> roll TOM offers plenty of ways to get the desired answer and overlook the technicalities. But this was a $2000 hot potato IMHO. Guesses and stabs in 2K box is bad karma.

Code: Select all

Term for a subatomic particle's angular momentum
I picked it up from the comfort of home, though I couldn't really give a specific justification. I don't -think- I had the category gimmick figured out yet, but maybe my subconscious had?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Catching up on some missed games...

I think Rob got a break when they took farming when the clue said it was the middle name of FFA.

I wouldn't start at the bottom of a category if it isn't clear what it is about from the title.

My first commercial after DJ was also for the COPD drug. The one where the old guy goes to see the lady wolf doctor.

I started with Shogun and also wrote down Samurai. I then decided a rent-collector might carry a big sword with him to encourage payment, and wound up with the right response.

My opinion of shawn's wager matches those of everyone else.