Tuesday, February 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7702, 2018-02-20

Rob Worman game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Damien Marzocchi, a museum security guard from Kew Gardens, New York
John Carlson, a clinical social worker from Omaha, Nebraska
Rob Worman, an escalation manager from Edina, Minnesota (whose 4-day cash winnings total $92,298)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Not only is our returning champion good, but he seems to be getting better each game. John and Damien, be warned. Let's go to work. One Daily Double coming up in one of these categories in the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEY QUIT THE TV SHOW (5/5)
ASTRONOMY (4/5)
DEATH, AMERICAN STYLE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
4 "F" (4/5)
MARCH (1/2)
OF DIMES (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Damien: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
John: 8 R, 2 W
Rob: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Damien found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Rob had no money, John had $600, and Damien was at $3,000. Damien made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

DEATH, AMERICAN STYLE $600: We don't think this vice president had any inkling he'd be a character on Broadway 180 years after his Sept. 14, 1836 death
(Damien: Who is Alexander Hamilton?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $1,400
Rob: $800
Damien: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Damien Marzocchi is from Kew Gardens, New York. The things I discover as the host of this program. I've always known that bocce was a pleasant game, and I thought it was for gentlemen of my age, sipping a little wine. But there is a professional bocce organization?

Damien: Well, not officially.

Alex: Ah.

Damien: But it was sort of--my grandfather, back in New York City, was sort of part of a ring of older Italian guys who kind of had a thing going at a bar on 62nd Street.

Alex: Any money exchanging hands as a result?

Damien: Officially, no. But I think we all know what was going on.

[Laughter]

Alex: Thank you very much.

Alex: John Carlson is from Omaha, Nebraska. I visited Puerto Rico some years ago, and I visited southern Florida, and I saw Ernest Hemingway's home, where the cats had one extra toe. You have a cat that tops anything that I would have seen there.

John: Yes, he has seven extra toes.

Alex: Seven?

John: He's got seven in the front on one foot, six on the other, and five on both back ones. They're supposed to have four on all of them.

Alex: I want that cat.

Alex: Rob Worman is our champion. He is from Minnesota. Quite often, players who appear on our program have good luck charms. You have one that was given to you by...

Rob: My dad.

Alex: And?

Rob: He's not a smoker. I'm not a smoker. But I have this monogrammed lighter he gave me 25 years ago. On Friday's show, it broke. I'm not superstitious, but I'm keeping it in my pocket.

Alex: Don't lose that lighter.

Rob: Exactly. It's staying in my pocket.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
4 "F" $1000: Phrase for a food staple like bread that metaphorically props you up
(John: What is the stuff of life?)

ASTRONOMY $400: Deneb, Albireo, Gienah, Sadr & Rukh in Cygnus form the pattern known as the Northern this

DEATH, AMERICAN STYLE $1000: After March 6, 1935 this "Jr." Supreme Court justice no longer cared if you shouted "Fire!" in a crowded theater

MARCH $800: In March 2018 this New York City parade up Fifth Avenue celebrates its 257th anniversary
(Rob: What is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $3,000
Damien: $2,000
Rob: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LANGUAGES OF INDIA (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
YOUR NUMBER'S UP (5/5)
COMMON BONDS (3/5) (Alex: We want you to name the James Bond portrayer who's also in each of the movies that we will mention in our clue.)
NEW WORDS IN 1988 (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FRUIT FORWARD (5/5)
A WRINKLE IN TIME (4/5) (Oprah Winfrey: I'm Oprah Winfrey.) (Mindy Kaling: I'm Mindy Kaling.) (Reese Witherspoon: I'm Reese Witherspoon. We've got clues about A Wrinkle in Time.) (Mindy Kaling: One of the most beloved books ever written.) (Oprah Winfrey: Coming to the big screen for the first time.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Damien: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Rob: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
John: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Damien snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Rob had $1,000, John had $4,600, and Damien was at $4,400. Damien wagered $1,200.

LANGUAGES OF INDIA $1200: Some dialects are characteristic of one of these Indian social divisions, like Ahirani, spoken by cattle herders

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rob who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Rob had $9,800, John had $6,200, and Damien was at $10,400. Rob wagered $5,000.

NEW WORDS IN 1988 $2000: Photographic is the "P" adjective in this abbreviation used as the standard for digitally encoded images

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A WRINKLE IN TIME $1200: (Mindy Kaling gives the clue.) I play Mrs. Who, a well-read character who speaks mainly in quotes, including this question that's also the first line in "Macbeth"

LANGUAGES OF INDIA $400: Spoken by some 50 million, Gujarati was the first language of this "Father of Modern India"
(Damien: Who is Nehru?)

LANGUAGES OF INDIA $2000: The written language of about 100 million people, it's basically Hindi, but with Arabic script

COMMON BONDS $800: "Marnie"

NEW WORDS IN 1988 $1600: A phrase for steroid-provoked anger may have led to this phrase for other-driver-provoked anger
(Damien: What is roid rage?)

COMMON BONDS $1600: "Flash Gordon" & "The Rocketeer"

NEW WORDS IN 1988 $800: Hyphenated term for a work by Camus or Clancy, but on the computer

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rob: $15,200
Damien: $10,800
John: $8,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ANIMAL KINGDOM

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Rob: Wager $6,401 to cover Damien.
Damien: You ought to wager to cover John, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $10,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,600 (to shut out John) or less than $2,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by John). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Rob.
John: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $600, you need to bet either $2,601, and play for a win if Damien tries to two-thirds Rob, or bet at least $7,001 to cover Rob's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $8,200 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Portuguese this bird is known as beija flor, or "flower kisser"

FINAL SCORES
John: $8,200 + $1,000 = $9,200 (What is the Hummingbird?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Damien: $10,800 + $10,000 = $20,800 (What is a hummingbird?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rob: $15,200 + $6,401 = $21,601 (What is a hummingbird?) (5-day champion: $113,899)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Damien: $13,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Rob: $12,200, 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
John: $8,200, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Damien: 20/60 = .333
John: 13/58 = .224
Rob: 13/59 = .220
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ASTRONOMY $600: China now has the world's largest one of these telescopes; it's basically a dish antenna a third of a mile across

ASTRONOMY $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a model of Mars on the monitor.) Mars may have an accessory in 40 million years, as its gravity could break apart this inner & larger moon, whose debris would swirl around the planet & form a ring

THEY QUIT THE TV SHOW $200: In 2015, she found her workplace to be a literal "Freak Show" & decided to move on

THEY QUIT THE TV SHOW $1000: She says her full TV, theater & film career was made possible when she took a deep breath & quit "One Life to Live" in 1982

OF DIMES $800: Yip Harburg suffered bankruptcy before he wrote this "Brother"ly Depression anthem
(Rob: What is "O Brother, Where Art Thou?")
(John: What is "Hey Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?")
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now.)

OF DIMES $1000: Popular & cheap books of the late 19th century were called dime novels in the United States & by this other coin term in the UK

MARCH $1000: In breeding season male bunnies go a little crazy, hence this simile that inspired a Lewis Carroll character
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

A WRINKLE IN TIME $1600: The travelers see what awaits in the crystal ball of a character played by Zach Galifianakis, punningly called the Happy this

A WRINKLE IN TIME $2000: (Oprah Winfrey gives the clue.) I play Mrs. Which, the eldest of the 3 guardian angels who help the children travel through time & space using this concept, described in the book as "the fifth dimension"

LANGUAGES OF INDIA $800: Works like the Bhagavad Gita were written in this ancient language

A WRINKLE IN TIME $800: (Reese Witherspoon gives the clue.) I play the first of the 3 guides to appear, Mrs. Whatsit; it turns out she was once this type of heavenly body that exploded in its battle with evil

YOUR NUMBER'S UP $400: As enumerated by St. Thomas Aquinas, the first of these was vainglory, or as we call it, pride
(Rob: What is, uh...)

NEW WORDS IN 1988 $1200: The 6-letter name of this style of electronic dance music emphasized its mechanical derivation

A WRINKLE IN TIME $400: (Oprah Winfrey gives the clue.) "Love may be stronger than all fears" is how the book is summed up by the American Library Association, which awarded this author the prestigious Newbery Medal
(Alex: And thanks to A Wrinkle in Time, which opens March 9th. Get out and see it.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Aaron Burr
the staff of life
the Northern Cross
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
St. Patrick's Day
a caste
JPEG
"When shall we three meet again?"
Mahatma Gandhi
Urdu
Sean Connery
road rage
Timothy Dalton
an e-book
a hummingbird
a radio telescope
Phobos
(Jessica) Lange
Judith Light
"Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?"
penny dreadfuls
mad as a March hare
the Medium
a tesseract
Sanskrit
a star
the seven deadly sins
techno
Madeleine L'Engle
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ANIMAL KINGDOM

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Portuguese this bird is known as beija flor, or “flower kisser”

Rob Worman: 15200+6401=21601 (5x = $113,899)
John Carlson: 8200+1000=9200
Damien Marzocchi: 10800+10000=20800

Correct response:
Spoiler
hummingbird

Daily Doubles
Damien: 3000-3000
Damien: 4400+1200
Rob: 9800+5000

Coryats
Rob: 12200
John: 8200
Damien: 13800

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rob: 1000
John: 3000
Damien: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

NEW WORDS IN 1988 $400: This alteration of the type of criminal Al Capone was started appearing in rap lyrics

Good one writers after the word had its moment earlier in the season.

A WRINKLE IN TIME had a tally of:
Oprah reading two clues, one each for Reese and Mindy, and only a picture of Zach G. The movie will not need the boost from today’s category as just having the trailer attached to showings of Black Panther will go a long way to helping the box office go past the $100M+ budget.

I’ll never figure out the hows and whys of what contestants know and don’t know. No rebound on “stuff of life?” Hamilton as VP? “Jr.” Supreme Court Justice associated with “Fire!” Three tries to get the “Brother”ly Depression anthem.

And the capper was the NYC parade clue. Rob’s miss was one thing as it can be possible to overlook key hints such as the month. The challengers not rebounding seemed unbelievable to me.

If the FJ! clue’s wording had left off the English translation I wonder if it still goes 4/4 including me? As written I went with the kind of bird I’ve seen enough times in the backyard that seemed to fit the description.

Rob, way to go in earning the level of distinction of 5-time champ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I went with toucan. Its beak looks like flowers and is found in jungles. So it was named by a settler in Brazil. Right? I guess not.

Another category name falls flat as March was used today and not on March 6 as planned. I wonder if Alex had to dub in the movie debuting on March 9th instead of “this Friday”.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm
If the FJ! clue’s wording had left off the English translation I wonder if it still goes 4/4 including me? As written I went with the kind of bird I’ve seen enough times in the backyard that seemed to fit the description.
As someone who speaks some Spanish and French but not Portuguese, I'm not sure I would have been able to make the necessary connection (to besar / baiser (archaic) /bisoux) in order to translate beija, so it certainly wouldn't be an Instaget for me. I'd have been left with needing to come up with a bird that's associated with flowers somehow -- might have gotten it, might not have.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Great job, Rob!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I had hummingbird quite easily. It was very impressive how Rob clawed his way up when he was very behind.

There were a lot of surprising mistakes in the game as other board members have already noticed.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,400
39 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: staff of life; (Northern) Cross; Aaron Burr (DD); Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.; St. Patrick's Day Parade; Sean Connery; road rage; Timothy Dalton; e-book

Great job again by Rob. Surprisingly high combined Coryat given how much gettable LT the players left for the taking.

FJ! was a WECIB. What other bird is famous for "kissing" flowers?

That was not techno.

Mark already scooped me, but I was glad to see the contestant pronounce "gangsta" correctly this time.
Sprinkles are for winners.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

this game was painful to watch - I can't explain all of those wacky misses. (Gandhi? Urdu? 7 Deadly Sins? Thanksgiving in MARCH??

I can only guess I was still coming down from the adrenaline rush of the "previous day's" big win?

If I hadn't made the big comeback and pulled it off, I'd be kicking myself for a looooooong time over this game.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

The lack of a rebound from Damien's "roid rage" mistake was a result of editing.

(Alex initially ruled him correct, the judges squawked, and they rerecorded Alex's reaction - which meant no chance for us to rebound...)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Somehow I managed to go thru childhood without ever reading A Wrinkle in Time, took an 0fer in the category.
Plenty of trash available: cross, Aaron Burr DD, Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Urdu, road rage (thanks to RobW's explanation), Timothy Dalton. Forgot the category, or I could've had St. Patrick's Day.
Easy peasy FJ!, even won my sidebet it would be a triget. And as noted elsewhere, the gangsta returns!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:08 pm If the FJ! clue’s wording had left off the English translation I wonder if it still goes 4/4 including me?
It would've been a triple stumper for most groups of contestants. And even if the clue writers had gone the other, easier way and left off the Portuguese term, the curse of knowledge could've struck someone: there are several Hawaiian birds- most notably the i'iwi- which behave and look similarly to hummingbirds but are really part of the honeycreeper family.
Hoping for a third lap
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: I’ll never figure out the hows and whys of what contestants know and don’t know. Hamilton as VP?
With all the hoopla about the play, I'm sure it was just an auto reflex response, not carefully reading the clue and remembering that Hamilton was never VP. I made the same mistake.

I started rooting heavily for Damien at the fourth clue selection of DJ.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

37 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Staff of Life, Cross, (Aaron Burr), Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., St. Patrick's Day Parade, Mahatma Gandhi, Urdu, Sean Connery, Road Rage

Other of my gets include Penny Dreadful and Madeline L'Engle.
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 pmI wonder if Alex had to dub in the movie debuting on March 9th instead of “this Friday”.
Yes, that was an incredibly obvious edit at the end of DJ!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was a gritty game. The monster neg on road rage was the turning point. A couple of $2K gets by Rob iced it - how do you win the buzzer war in crunch time like that? Good game by Damien. John couldn't get any momentum going but was a steady player.

FJ was easy because of the WECIB factor without getting too esoteric. If the writers don't translate it, they might as well just give the Latin name because nobody is getting it from the Portuguese.

Didn't I just see a post someplace that stories about cats are not allowed for interview material? It might have been on Reddit as I just discovered that zoo courtesy of an earlier link here.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Fun game and the two challengers were decent, although there several odd Triple Stumpers, like St. Patrick's Day, Gandhi, e-book, and road rage.

When I saw the "Common Bonds" category, I expected it to be an easy sweep for me. And while it was a sweep, they used significantly more challenging movies than I expected.

Edit-
RobW wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 pm The lack of a rebound from Damien's "roid rage" mistake was a result of editing.

(Alex initially ruled him correct, the judges squawked, and they rerecorded Alex's reaction - which meant no chance for us to rebound...)
Well, that explains that one! I'm guessing Alex wasn't familiar with either term, and roid is only one letter different from road.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

TV (2), Astronomy (3), Death (5), 4 "F" (2), March (1), Dimes (1)
Languages of India (5), Numbers (4), Bonds (4), New Words of 1988 (2), Fruit (3), A Wrinkle in Time (1)

Lach Trash: Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., St. Patrick's Day Parade, Gandhi, Urdu, Timothy Dalton, road rage; Daily Double: Aaron Burr

No idea for FJ.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I didn't recognize Reese Witherspoon. She looks suspiciously younger. Easy FJ as I spent a couple of breakfasts at my sister's house watching hummingbirds kiss flowers. Horrid game as even Rob admits but at least the totals were better than other recent games. I've lived most of my life in NYC & LI but I've only gone to 3 Saint Patrick's Day parades. It's tremendous fun so do it if you get the chance.