Thursday, February 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7704, 2018-02-22

Rob Worman game 7.

CONTESTANTS
Alan Harrison, an administrative assistant from Seattle, Washington
Catherine Biba, a freelance writer from Geneva, Nebraska
Rob Worman, an escalation manager from Edina, Minnesota (whose 6-day cash winnings total $133,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen. For the past week, we've all been enjoying the company of Rob Worman, our champion. And he's been enjoying himself because he keeps winning lots and lots of money. Alan and Catherine, welcome aboard. You're gonna have a rough time defeating him, but it can be done. Good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
21st CENTURY BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGES (4/4)
3-SYLLABLE WORDS (4/4)
MOM GENES (2/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLACES TO "C" (4/4)
LAUGH-IN AT 50 (5/5)
SOCK IT TO ME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Rob: 8 R, 1 W
Catherine: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Catherine: $2,800
Rob: $2,600
Alan: $2,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alan Harrison is from Seattle, Washington. He's a good guy who for 25 years implemented a special kind of program that I'd like you to tell the folks about.

Alan: I did, Alex. I was running a theater company, and we were discovering that the community of people who were coming to the theater were very excited to be there, but they were also as gray as you and I are. So we wanted to find a way to bring younger people into the theater. We created a system called "Under 25, Only $10." It's been implemented at theaters--I was part of the group that invented it, and then we implemented it in theaters across the country. We're about a million kids under the age of 25 who have come to see theater who would not have normally.

Alex: Wow, that's great. Congratulations.

Alan: Thank you.

Alex: Catherine Biba is from Geneva, Nebraska. And her greatest achievement, up to now--

Catherine: Up to now, yes.

Alex: Up to appearing as a contestant on Jeopardy!, was making a quilt.

Catherine: Yes. It is--

Alex: Big one?

Catherine: Yes. It's a 60-inch by 80-inch, nice twin size quilt of Ron Swanson's face. Ron Swanson is a character on the show Parks and Recreation.

Alex: Right.

Catherine: He's very wise in ways of the world and breakfast food. And it's composed of 1,200 individual 2-inch squares.

[Laughter]

Alex: You're easy to please.

Alex: Rob Worman is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. Has won a lot of money, and his dog is a certified therapy dog. What breed?

Rob: A golden retriever. And I must confess, it's my wife who is certified with her. So I'm taking some credit for that capability. And the funny story is, well, is that our dog, who is four years old and an active breed, but very lazy, she almost didn't pass the test, because she just wanted to lie down and take a nap.

Alex: All right. A moment ago you said you wanted to take some credit for that. Well, speaking of credit, we are going to be crediting you with $2,000 because our researchers found out that your response of "pressure socks" is just as good as what we had.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alan found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Rob had $4,000, Catherine had $3,200, and Alan was at $5,800. Alan wagered $1,200.

MOM GENES $400: Her daughter Jane teaches I.P. law at Columbia, her alma mater; she cited Jane's work in an opinion for the Supreme Court

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOM GENES $800: Richard, son of Louis & this other anthropologist, followed in their fossil-finding footsteps
(Alan: Who is Leakey?)
(Alex: Need the first name.)
[Alan shakes his head.]

MOM GENES $1000: She really took after mom Marie--married a guy from the lab, studied polonium & won a Nobel Prize

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alan: $7,000
Rob: $4,200
Catherine: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 22, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEATRE OF THE ABSURD (4/5)
RANDOM WORDS (4/4)
RECENT R&B & HIP-HOP HITS (1/2)
COLLUSION (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GETTING RELIGION (3/4)
AFRICA SINCE 1750 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Catherine: 4 R, 0 W
Rob: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 24
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alan snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Rob had $4,200, Catherine had $4,400, and Alan was at $14,600. Alan wagered $1,400.

COLLUSION $2000: In 2000 these 2 art auction houses agreed to pay $500 million in restitution for engaging in price-fixing
(Alan: What are Sotheby's and... Fred's Lube. I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Rob had $3,800, Catherine had $5,200, and Alan was at $14,000. Alan wagered $1,000.

AFRICA SINCE 1750 $2000: A series of anti-apartheid protests in this South African township in 1976 led to a larger uprising

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THEATRE OF THE ABSURD $1200: This Czech author's satirical plays like "Protest" used absurdist themes to denounce Communist rule

COLLUSION $1600: In 2015 Mohammed Morsi, former president of this nation, got a death sentence for colluding with Islamists

AFRICA SINCE 1750 $1200: Long a threat to water buffalo, giraffes & mainly these livestock, the viral disease rinderpest was eradicated in 2011
(Alan: What are rhinoceroses?)

RECENT R&B & HIP-HOP HITS $2000: Hitmaking was in his "DNA." He had "Loyalty." He was "Humble." & in "Love."--"Damn."

GETTING RELIGION $2000: In Malachi:
"Behold, I will send you" this prophet before the coming of "the great and dreadful day of the Lord"
(Rob: Who is Muhammad?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $16,200 (lock game)
Catherine: $7,600
Rob: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ACTRESSES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Alan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Catherine: Wager $801 to cover Rob.
Rob: You have the hope of surpassing Catherine for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $2,600 and $4,198.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Already an Emmy winner, in 2017 she won an Oscar for the same role that had won her a Tony

FINAL SCORES
Rob: $4,200 - $4,199 = $1 (Who is Boy this was fun! :-)) (3rd place: $1,000)
Catherine: $7,600 - $1,000 = $6,600 (Who is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alan: $16,200 - $999 = $15,201 (Who is my mom?) (New champion: $15,201)
(Alex: [To Alan] I bet you you produced this play. The play was Fences.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Alan: $17,800, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Catherine: $7,600, 9 R, 0 W
Rob: $4,200, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $29,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Alan: 22/61 = .361
Rob: 11/58 = .190
Catherine: 9/58 = .155
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LAUGH-IN AT 50 $800: Edith Ann was one of the characters this comedienne performed on the show--& that's the truth

LAUGH-IN AT 50 $1000: Nixon famously appeared on "Laugh-In" for the 1968 election; this Democratic challenger declined
(Rob: Who is McGovern?)

SOCK IT TO ME $400: This synonym for mending is in the title of the painting here; it's what the girl is doing to the sock

SOCK IT TO ME $1000: "Support" or this word comes before the socks designed to increase circulation, sold in gradients like 20-30 mmHG
(Rob: What is pressure?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct during the contestant interviews]

21st CENTURY BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGES $600: The SAR on the badge created in 2012 stands for this life-saving process

21st CENTURY BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGES $800: The robotics merit badge depicts this planet, but you can earn it on Earth

21st CENTURY BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGES $1000: That's a GPS unit on the badge for this new 10-letter orienteering hobby

PLACES TO "C" $600: This L.A. suburb settled in 1867 came straight outta an 18th century Spanish land grant
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

21st CENTURY BOY SCOUT MERIT BADGES $400: To receive the badge for this activity, you join two metal plates and inscribe your initial

LAUGH-IN AT 50 $200: This actress filmed her Oscar-winning role in "Cactus Flower" while she was still a cast member of "Laugh-In"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THEATRE OF THE ABSURD $2000: This Romanian-born playwright based his play "The Bald Soprano" on stilted textbooks he had used to learn English

AFRICA SINCE 1750 $400: From 1951 to 1960, he was the heavyweight boxing champion of Uganda; from 1971 to 1979, he was president

RECENT R&B & HIP-HOP HITS $1200: "Rake It Up" from Yo Gotti raced up the charts & featured this woman seen here

AFRICA SINCE 1750 $1600: At 1896's Battle of Adwa, Menelik II, emperor of this nation, defeated an Italian army & kept the country independent
(Rob: What is Egypt?)

RANDOM WORDS $400: It means unusual or applies to numbers like 5, 37, or 1,041
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

GETTING RELIGION $1600: In the '90s, this 2-word Chinese spiritual movement meaning "discipline of the dharma wheel" ran afoul of the government
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Mary Leakey
Irène Curie
Christie's and Sotheby's
Soweto
Vaclav Havel
Egypt
cattle
Kendrick Lamar
Elijah
Viola Davis
Lily Tomlin
(Hubert) Humphrey
darning
compression (or pressure)
search and rescue
Mars
geocaching
Compton
welding
Goldie Hawn
Eugène Ionesco
Idi Amin
Nicki Minaj
Ethiopia
odd
Falun Gong
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ACTRESSES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Already an Emmy winner, in 2017 she won an Oscar for the same role that had won her a Tony

Rob Worman: 4200-4199=1
Catherine Biba: 7600-1000=6600
Alan Harrison: 16200-999=15201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Viola Davis (Rob – Boy this was fun! [smiley face]) (Catherine – Who is ?) (Alan – my mom)

Daily Doubles
Alan: 5800+1200
Alan: 14600-1400
Alan: 14000+1000

Coryats
Rob: 4200
Catherine: 7600
Alan: 17800

Combined: 29,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Rob: 4200
Catherine: 3200
Alan: 7000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rob: Did you know the correct name for the FJ! round? That would will the telling part of the “What If” game. At least your worst game was in #7 and not #1. What did you eat for lunch? Don’t have it again at the TOC.

Ten clues not played. Sock it to me and viewers who play along.

The clue with the reversal was SOCK IT TO ME $1000: “Support” or this word comes before the socks designed to increase circulation, sold in gradients like 20-30 mmHG

Rob gave pressure and Alex wanted compression. Both get the money.

Point to Alan for trying a Nixon voice in picking a clue in SOCK IT TO ME. A point taken away from Alan for trying to get by with just “Leakey” and not knowing her first name. Busted.

Rob: If you are reading this before watching, I’m sorry to tell you that your miss on the 1968 Democratic guy in the Laugh-In category does appear. Of your seven games I would guess this miss will rank near the top for most regrettable? It was obvious you realized who you should have said as soon as Alex negged you and it looked like you were mouthing something like, “Oh, my.” The rebound then went to Alan to compound the error.

As in so many cases the FJ! clue is easy if you know it. I did, so nothing to worry about during think time. The actress needs to do one of those spoken record things to complete the EGOT.

Rob was 9/9 on his Daily Doubles and 4/7 on his FJ! clues. Andrew Pau was the same. Andrew took it to 12/12 on DDs before finally missing one. We’ll see what outcome awaits Rob.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Kudos to Rob for a great run!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,400
37 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mary Leakey, Egypt, Sotheby's/Christie's (DD), cattle, Elijah

Great run, Rob! So sorry to see you go. You can cry yourself to sleep on your huge bed of cash.

*Ten* unplayed clues, and there wasn't even one of those all-video sponsored categories? What the heck?

Anyone else get FJ! right on a complete WAG?
Sprinkles are for winners.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 pm Rob: Did you know the correct name for the FJ! round? That would will the telling part of the “What If” game. At least your worst game was in #7 and not #1. What did you eat for lunch? Don’t have it again at the TOC.
Hmmm, I almost made my comeback at the end there.
What if I had recognized at least one of Kendrick Lamar's hits? and what if I hadn't inexplicably screwed up that Prophet=Elijah pavlov?
Those 2 changes, alone, would've made it an interesting final.

So let's imagine:
Alan 16200
Rob 10200
Catherine 7600

I suppose I would've bet 10199 again. (I had no concern for 2nd vs 3rd place - in fact I'd prefer 3rd, Catherine was super nice so send her home with twice as much...)

And it would have definitely still been a triple stumper. My Jeopardy prep did include recent Oscar winners, but I didn't extend it to the Supporting awards. (nor did I see Fences) - Oops!
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 pm
Rob: If you are reading this before watching, I’m sorry to tell you that your miss on the 1968 Democratic guy in the Laugh-In category does appear. Of your seven games I would guess this miss will rank near the top for most regrettable? It was obvious you realized who you should have said as soon as Alex negged you and it looked like you were mouthing something like, “Oh, my.” The rebound then went to Alan to compound the error.
Yeah that one stung. But to be honest I'm more mystified by my miss on that final pavlov. Mohammed vs Elijah? Ugh! ;)

But let's be absolutely clear here. I didn't lose that game, Alan WON it.
That dude was fast fast FAST!

I have no complaints about how I played my game - Alan just played the same game and he played it BETTER.

What great fun... thanks everyone for your support during this awesome amazing ride!

Now it's back to the flashcards, for the TOC prep. ;-)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:32 pm Anyone else get FJ! right on a complete WAG?
Nope! My response was the same as Catherine. Didn't even know where to start,
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why are we leaving more and more clues on the board? By season's end, it's gonna be like those Radio City Music Hall episodes.

"Sock monkey" and Idi Amin were both unfamiliar to me in the top box.

Mary Leakey and Irene Curie seem to always lead to BMS->silence->TS.

I had Sotheby's but not Christie's. Same thing with this FJ!

I was 4/4 in three categories that were not finished due to time running out.

No, I didn't have a guess on FJ! Viola Davis was a total NHOI for me in May, and she has gotten no more familiar to me since.

Lach Trash: Kendrick Lamar
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

61 clues, damnit. This was not a slow game!!!

Instaget FJ. Also, I'm pretty sure I wrote the Oscar winners entry in last year's current events thread, so shame on me if I had missed this one.

Great run, Rob. I was hoping you'd get a hold of one of those DDs (so that we'd see some actual money wagered on them...), but it was not to be. See you in the TOC!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm I had Sotheby's but not Christie's. Same thing with this FJ!
I was the opposite.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board, but I found it to be pretty hard. Alan had some really great gets, and he reminded me of Bob Verini.

I had no idea on FJ, and guessed Barabara Streisand just so I would have a guess. All I knew about Viola Davis was that she was, well, an actress.

Congrats to Rob on the run!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I live for the day when contestants will do a stand-and-stare at an Oscars or Broadway category the way they did with Talkin' Football.

Who is Viola Davis? :?

More commercials are why, TPH.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Congrats on a great run, Rob.

Yeah, ten clues unseen with some pretty good players involved. Ridiculous. Jeopardy this season is very different from past seasons. The format just doesn't work with the additional commercial time this season. Short-term financial gain over long-term harm.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm I live for the day when contestants will do a stand-and-stare at an Oscars or Broadway category the way they did with Talkin' Football.
That's a real worry as entertainment is increasingly fragmented in the age of Youtube, Switch and Tinder. What are the touchstones of pop culture these days? You really have trouble coming up with reasonable television questions when a megahit hit these days is a 2.0 rating for the 18-49 set. It wasn't that long ago when a 2.0 was below even the reruns of the least-watched shows imaginable. Even Hello Larry.

Oh, that's Kylie Minogue? Nope, Rob got that one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RobW wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:54 pm
I suppose I would've bet 10199 again. (I had no concern for 2nd vs 3rd place - in fact I'd prefer 3rd, Catherine was super nice so send her home with twice as much...)
That's the way it looked to me. Classy move.
RobW wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:54 pm
But let's be absolutely clear here. I didn't lose that game, Alan WON it.
That dude was fast fast FAST!

I have no complaints about how I played my game - Alan just played the same game and he played it BETTER.
What great fun... thanks everyone for your support during this awesome amazing ride!
Once again, with the class and grace. I'm glad your final ep didn't end or pivot on an error of commission or omission. Congrats, Alan; you were ferocious.

Count me in for the Nixon to McGovern Pavlov and ignoring the year.
IMHO "pressure" socks was a generous reversal but the benefit of doubt goes to players. I have a pair for air travel (I'm tall) and never heard them called anything but compression socks.

I won't even get this FJ if they repeat it tomorrow ;) .

Had a lot of tip of tongue clues. I'm most ashamed of failing to get Irene Curie and blowing Mary Leakey under BMS pressure. I'd have got it naturally if I just went for the whole name originally. Then couldn't get past Margaret Mead to the right first name.

Count me as a Christie's trying to remember Sotheby's. I predict a poll question (not pandering for it myself)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm I live for the day when contestants will do a stand-and-stare at an Oscars or Broadway category the way they did with Talkin' Football.

Who is Viola Davis? :?

More commercials are why, TPH.
I think Rob's top box phobia would be bad for ratings if the trend continues. There were 5 unrevealed $200 clues and that is possibly where 1/3rd of the viewing demographic gets their one or two answers per episode. Gotta throw a bone to the seniors, the shut-in's, and the various unwashed masses. We can still learn something new because of the different little factoids and presentations.

If the show was reduced to 50 clues, I'm still watching. I've suffered through HQ trivia twice.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

24 right.

Boy Scout (2), 3-Syllable Words (2), Mom Genes (0), Places to "C" (3), Laugh-In (4), Sock It To Me (1)
Absurd (1), Random (2), R&B/Hip-Hop (1), Collusion (2), Religion (2), Africa Since 1750 (4)

Lach Trash: Egypt, cattle, Kendrick Lamar

No idea for FJ.

Great run, Rob- see you in the TOC!
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W: 2, costing 2000
Coryat: 14,600
FJ: :(
DD: 0/3
LT: Mary Leakey, Egypt

I did OK in the J! round, then had a bad DJ round. Only 7 right. :oops: Two clams in the Religion category that I should have known didn't help.

No joy in FJ. The list of things I need to study seems more daunting by the day.

I'm sorry to see Rob go, but he had a good run and can leave holding his head high. I do have to wonder if going through nearly a full day of taping was taking a toll. This should be the 4th game of the taping day, so fatigue could have been a factor. He seemed a bit slower on the toilet paper holder :lol: this game. Combine that with Alan who was fast and right, and that spelled the end of the run.

I also noticed that all three players were getting in to the "start in the middle" strategy. Perhaps watching Rob's success with that in the previous three games influenced them a bit.
--Peter
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I didn’t want to see Rob go but if he had to I’m glad our new champ looks just as entertaining if not more so. *switches “Go Rob!” giant novelty foam finger for “Go Alan!” giant novelty foam finger.

Maybe I missed it but I think Rob had an absurdly high number of lock games (I’d say at least 4 of his six wins). Anyone have the stats and if there is anyone that had more percentage wise? I’d like to see where Rob’s lock percentage puts him in Mark’s TOC pool.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012