LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: Learned League 76 - Official Thread

Post by SenseiCAY »

Volante wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 am
37% get rate on rocket?! Here I am thinking that's a super gimme and it nearly got me into a tie...luckily my opponent missed a second question so my beer was safe.
My opponent gave me a 0 for it, and I missed it :lol:

I gave him 3 for it, and he also missed it :?
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

SenseiCAY wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm
Here's an ethical question for you fine folks.

I often look at the questions when I first wake up in the morning. It's one way to help my lazy ass mobilize in the morning and get the juices flowing. If there are any questions that I feel like I could pull if I thought about it for a bit, I'll just close the window and come back to it during my lunch break at work.

If, between seeing the questions and submitting your answers, you happen to come across the answer to one of the questions in some way. Would it be cheating or otherwise unethical to submit the right answer? Is your answer different for the following scenarios?
  • You picked up a newspaper and the answer is in one of the articles
  • You walk by a TV, and the talking head mentions the answer
  • Someone who is not a player in LL brings it up in conversation, unprompted
Let's suppose that you've at least heard of the answer, and you are unsure if you would have come up with the right answer independently.
That's basically up to you. There are some who will brand you a cheater for doing that (I am not one of those people). They think you should only answer the questions with "what's in your brain at the time you look at the question" (whatever that means). If you feel it's something that you almost certainly would have come up with anyway, then I personally see nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, if your reaction is more along the lines of "Man, that wasn't what I was thinking about at all", the you should probably leave it blank.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

SenseiCAY wrote:

I often look at the questions when I first wake up in the morning. It's one way to help my lazy ass mobilize in the morning and get the juices flowing. If there are any questions that I feel like I could pull if I thought about it for a bit, I'll just close the window and come back to it during my lunch break at work.

If, between seeing the questions and submitting your answers, you happen to come across the answer to one of the questions in some way. Would it be cheating or otherwise unethical to submit the right answer? Is your answer different for the following scenarios?
Let's suppose that you've at least heard of the answer, and you are unsure if you would have come up with the right answer independently.
There have been multiple threads on the LL site about these topics. Most would agree that, if you happen across information inadvertently, that constitutes no violation of the "no research" dictum. OTOH, reading a newspaper after reading the questions is pushing the boundaries of propriety, as would watching TV news or listening to NPR on the radio. That's why I make a point of doing (and submitting) the questions first thing in the morning: I typically work with NPR in the background in my office. What you can do in such cases where you inadvertently spoil yourself when reading the paper or listening to news is purposefully leave that question blank when answering.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought Gordon Ramsay was too easy to be the correct answer, and since I've previously been burned saying Ramsay when the answer was Bourdain (I think in a J! test at some point), I said Anthony Bourdain. I missed out on three points that way, losing 3(3) to 6(5).

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm
SenseiCAY wrote:

There have been multiple threads on the LL site about these topics. Most would agree that, if you happen across information inadvertently, that constitutes no violation of the "no research" dictum. OTOH, reading a newspaper after reading the questions is pushing the boundaries of propriety, as would watching TV news or listening to NPR on the radio. That's why I make a point of doing (and submitting) the questions first thing in the morning: I typically work with NPR in the background in my office. What you can do in such cases where you inadvertently spoil yourself when reading the paper or listening to news is purposefully leave that question blank when answering.
It depends on the question too. If you keep up on current events, you're not expecting to stumble into a retrospect on Guadalcanal, so if you do, that's a bonus. On the other hand, if you decide watch the WW2 History Channel, you're kinda goosing your odds at getting that same retrospection.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm
SenseiCAY wrote:

That's basically up to you. There are some who will brand you a cheater for doing that (I am not one of those people). They think you should only answer the questions with "what's in your brain at the time you look at the question" (whatever that means). If you feel it's something that you almost certainly would have come up with anyway, then I personally see nothing wrong with it. On the other hand, if your reaction is more along the lines of "Man, that wasn't what I was thinking about at all", the you should probably leave it blank.
I used to be a hardliner that you were honor bound to leave the Q blank in such situations. ("Such situations." Say that 5 times fast.) Now I side with Woof and Volante, as long as it's inadvertent, it's up to you. I can't imagine ever waiting that long myself to submit though.
Volante wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:06 pm
It depends on the question too. If you keep up on current events, you're not expecting to stumble into a retrospect on Guadalcanal, so if you do, that's a bonus. On the other hand, if you decide watch the WW2 History Channel, you're kinda goosing your odds at getting that same retrospection.
Unless the Pawn Stars guys are showing off some WWII memorabilia, you're probably safe.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:14 am
Rainbow Coalition was another of those with age perhaps coming into play as I may be older than my opponent thinks and she is probably younger than I thought. I scored three points and she missed zero points. I'll squeak out a 5(4)-4(3) any way I can get it.
My opponent also assigned me three points for that one so you may be on to something. This was the only reason I won.

(Having said that, I wasn't alive during the 1984 election.)
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Volante wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:25 am
37% get rate on rocket?! Here I am thinking that's a super gimme and it nearly got me into a tie...luckily my opponent missed a second question so my beer was safe.
Let's just say there's a reason my science percentage is .450.

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

econgator wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:30 pm
RandyG wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:47 pm
What large stadium tournament event has typically been played in an outdoor arena?
All I could come up with was NCAA Baseball.
My wife and I went to a Germany-England friendly at the Silverdome that took place before the World Cup. The game was a shakedown cruise for the actual World Cup games.

By the way, it took two attempts to implode the Silverdome, and the first failed attempt to all kinds of snarky comments about the Detroit Lions--and the Ford family which owns the team.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:04 pm
I thought Gordon Ramsay was too easy to be the correct answer, and since I've previously been burned saying Ramsay when the answer was Bourdain (I think in a J! test at some point), I said Anthony Bourdain. I missed out on three points that way, losing 3(3) to 6(5).
Those were the two names that came to my mind. I was correct, apparently, that "fiery" was meant to bring "Hell's Kitchen" to mind. Wrong, though, in who I associated the show with.

I can't complain about TV questions overall, though, after nailing "John & Kate Plus Eight" (which I knew entirely from supermarket tabloid headlines) the other day.
I'm smart and I want respect.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The number one rule of LearnedLeague: Players must not use any external resources to acquire answers to Match Day questions.
The mental gymnastics that people go through to try to justify using inadvertantly acquired answers, I find it mind-boggling. If the radio dj or the guy at the next table at the coffee shop or the cab driver blurts out an answer or something that directly leads to the answer, what is the rationale for the argument that you should be allowed to use this external source of information to assist you? Why is your cab driver external source allowed but my google external source is not? Ah yes, intent, something which is not and has never been in the rules. It doesn't matter your intent. If you didn't have the answer, then someone supplied it to you, so now you do have it...guess what? that's an external source providing you the answer, and you shouldn't use it.

If you knew the answer was Gordon Ramsay when you looked at the questions, but didn't submit yet because you were thinking about a different one, and then you drive by a Hell's Kitchen billboard on the way to work, I don't think anyone is advocating that you can no longer answer it. This is where the honor system comes into play. Only you can say what is in your head. If you had an answer already "locked in" in your mind, then nothing wrong with using it even if something confirms it for you. The tricky situation would be if you're stuck between two answers, say you know it's Gordon Ramsay or Anthony Bourdain, then you drive by the giant Gordon Ramsay Hell's Kitchen billboard, now you're in a dilemma. If you can't say with certainty that you were planning on going with Ramsay, you really should punt the question, but I will say that this is the closest thing that there is to a grey area.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm
Most would agree that, if you happen across information inadvertently, that constitutes no violation of the "no research" dictum.
Citation needed

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:36 pm
Those were the two names that came to my mind. I was correct, apparently, that "fiery" was meant to bring "Hell's Kitchen" to mind.
Oh dang. That hint slipped right by me.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JenningsK and I defended each other identically, and got the same question wrong. What kills me is that I recently gave a correct answer of Jerome Powell on one of those quiz apps and went totally blank when LL asked for his name, but multiple choice is a lot easier.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 am
JenningsK and I defended each other identically, and got the same question wrong. What kills me is that I recently gave a correct answer of Jerome Powell on one of those quiz apps and went totally blank when LL asked for his name, but multiple choice is a lot easier.
I got the same multiple choice question right, and even thought to myself "remember this, it will come up again in LL". All I could remember was that there was a J in the name. Fortunately my jeopardy TOC champ opponent BurnettC also missed it.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 am
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 am
I got the same multiple choice question right, and even thought to myself "remember this, it will come up again in LL". All I could remember was that there was a J in the name. Fortunately my jeopardy TOC champ opponent BurnettC also missed it.
I had TomK defending me in my private rundle, who knows me pretty well. I was optimistic that I was going to pull out the rare 9(5)-9(6) tie, but it was not to be.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

Mayonnaise seems so obvious in retrospect. I went with maneuver, focusing on the first clue and ignoring stir + egg yolk and Mahon-(B)ayonne

Maneuver, of course, derives from Fr. main + oeuvre, or work done by hand

Tant pis!

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

La Paz/Sucre was a 50/50/0 for me :(
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Finally got a win, 8(4)-1(2). I figured they wanted the non La Paz capital and it took me a couple times of looking at the questions to remember Sucre. I was pretty surprised that La Paz wasn't the MCW, as Santiago never crossed my mind. Groening was a gimme to this big Simpsons fan.

Count me as a maneuver...I was so pleased to get to that point after a couple hours of thinking about French sounding words that start with man and relate to eggs and battle.

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

On Johnny Carson, Ed McMahon often told (with tongue firmly in cheek) of how mayonnaise -- originally called mcmahonnaise -- was named after one of his ancestors. Egg yolk + Port Mahon clinched it for me.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here