TD 369 - The Olympics - Bonus and FINAL STANDINGS revealed

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

TD 369 - The Olympics - Bonus and FINAL STANDINGS revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

Hello and welcome to TD 369! My apologies for being a bit late with it - I just came up with this idea on Friday, and I was gone all weekend, so I had to spruce up some of the questions.

At any rate, we're gonna try to keep the Olympic magic alive for just a little longer here. I now declare this TD open! Not all of the questions are sports-related, so give it a shot, even if you missed all five clues in that football category from a few weeks ago.

Rules/Notes:

1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer.
2) Pay attention to the first sentence in each question - it tells you what is required in your answer. Make sure you put all required information in your answer!
3) You may use one DROP and take zero points for that question.
4) You may use one SHEEP to take the sheep answer for that question.
5) There will be a BONUS of (-4) for anyone who gives correct answers to all 10 questions, utilizing neither their drop nor their sheep options.
6) There are three other opportunities for bonuses (up to -11 points). Use questions 2B, 10B, and 11-15 for those.
7) Wrong responses (on Q1-Q10) are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
8) All answers are due by 10 AM ET on Tuesday, March 6th, 2018.
9) Only the first submission per person is accepted; submit entries by PM or with this google form.
10) No outside research is allowed.
11) Feel free to ask for clarifications here if necessary.

Question 1: Name or team required. From the 2018 Winter Olympics, name either:
  1. The winner of an individual gold medal for the USA, AND their specific gold medal event (sport AND discipline), or…
  2. An event (gender, sport, and, if applicable, discipline) where the USA won a team gold medal
Note that things like “John Smith, track and field” would be insufficient. A satisfactory answer might look like “John Smith, track and field, 800 meters” for an individual winner or “Women’s Basketball” as a winning team.

Question 2: Name required. Letter not necessary. The host nations of the two most recent Olympics (2016 and 2018) share the dubious honor of having had their leaders (relatively) recently impeached. Select a title from the choices below and name the person who most recently VACATED that position (i.e. the most recent holder of the title other than the current holder) for any reason.
  • Chancellor of Germany
  • President of Zimbabwe
  • President of France
  • Prime Minister of Canada
  • Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
  • Prime Minister of Italy
  • President of Mexico
  • Prime Minister of Israel
  • President of Afghanistan
  • President of Russia
For a bonus (-2 points each, up to -4 total), name the recently-impeached leaders of Brazil and South Korea (use question 2B).

Question 3: Sport required. Name a sport that has been played for a medal in at least two Summer Olympics, but was NOT a medal sport at the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Question 4: Movie title required. Letter not required.. Name one of the movies described below.
  • (2016) The story of a British skier who, in 1988, became the first person to represent Great Britain in ski jumping since 1928.
  • (1993) Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, it’s the story of the first bobsleigh team from Jamaica.
  • (1992) A star hockey player is injured during the Olympics and forced to give up his chance to be in the NHL, but gets another chance to qualify for the Olympics in pairs figure skating.
  • (1981) The story of two British runners, Eric Liddell and Harold Abrahams, in the 1924 Olympics. Both face criticism and pressure related to their respective Christian and Jewish faiths.
  • (1997) The story of the titular distance runner who attended the University of Oregon, finished fourth in the 5,000-meter in the 1972 Olympics, and died in a car accident in 1975.
  • (2005) The story of Operation Wrath of God, the Israeli retaliation against the PLO after the 1972 Olympics.
  • (2004) The story of the U.S. men’s hockey team at the 1980 Olympics.
  • (2007) The story of Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy, banned for life from singles skating, reviving their careers as the first same-sex pairs skating team due to a loophole in the rules.
  • (2017) The story of the titular skater and an attack on her rival.
  • (2014) The story of Louis Zamperini, a former Olympian who survived a plane crash during World War II, only to be taken as prisoners of war by the Japanese.
Question 5: Country name required. Name any existing country that has, within its CURRENT borders (as of the time of this game), held EXACTLY one official occurrence of the Olympics, either summer or winter. Clarifications:
  • If a country has hosted the winter and summer games once each, that country is a wrong answer, because it has hosted the Olympics twice.
  • Only games as the primary host city/country are counted.
  • Games that were cancelled for any reason do not count as having been held.
Question 6: Letter and artist/band required. One of the things most associated with the Olympics is the torch. Select a letter below and identify the artist/band who originally sang the lyrics about fire.
  1. I say I don’t like it, but you know I’m a liar / ‘Cause when we kiss, ooh, fire.
  2. I got a bad desire / whoa-oh-oh, I’m on fire.
  3. Come on baby, light my fire / Try to set the night on fire.
  4. We feel the pain of a lifetime lost in a thousand days / Through the fire and the flames we carry on.
  5. Fire on the mountain, run boys run / The devil’s in the house of the rising sun.
  6. This fire is out of control / I’m gonna burn this city
  7. You broke my will, oh what a thrill / Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire.
  8. With only one thing in common / They got the fire down below.
  9. Fire in the disco! / Fire in the Taco Bell!
  10. When the boogie started to explode / I heard somebody say, “burn baby burn.”
Question 7: Answer required. Letter not required. Pyeongchang hosted the 2018 Winter Games, and Beijing will become the first city to host both the Summer and Winter games when it hosts the next Winter Olympics in 2022. Answer one of the following questions about China and Korea.
  • While outside records indicate that he was born in the Soviet Union, the official biography of Kim Jong-Il states that he was born on what mountain on the border between China and North Korea?
  • The demilitarized zone between North and South Korea intersects what line, also the pre-Korean War border between United States- and Soviet-controlled portions of Korea?
  • In what village, just north of the DMZ, was the 1953 Korean Armistice Agreement signed?
  • In use since the 15th century, what is the name of the Korean alphabet?
  • What is the collective term, in Korean cuisine, for the small side dishes served with rice, including namul kimchi, and japchae?
  • What is the name of the fermented sweet and savory paste, made from red chili powder, glutinous rice, and fermented soybean powder that is ubiquitous in Korean cooking?
  • Who is the current Chinese President, recently in the news for efforts to eliminate term limits in the constitution, which would allow him to serve indefinitely?
  • Ending in 1912, what was the name of the last dynasty to rule China?
  • Making up about 92% of the population in Mainland China, and over 98% in Taiwan, and about 18% of the global population, what is the largest ethnic group in the world?
  • A popular dim sum item, what is the name (in English or Chinese) of a bun, usually filled with pork and meat aspic that melts when steamed? Its Chinese name comes from the bamboo steaming baskets that are often used in their preparation.
Question 8: Country name required. For the 2018 Winter Olympics, identify one of the countries described below, from their total medal count, population, and their “population per medal,” a figure calculated by simply dividing their population by their medal count. These are the 10 countries with the smallest “population per medal” statistic, according to medalspercapita.com, a site that serves a decidedly niche purpose. Numbers below are formatted as [Medal count] / [Population] / [PPM]. Slovakia just missed out on this list with 3 medals and a population of 5,424,050, giving it 1,808,016 PPM.
  • 1 medal / 37,531 population / 37,531 population per medal
  • 39 / 5,195,921 / 133,228 PPM
  • 15 / 8,286,976 / 552,465 PPM
  • 14 / 8,611,088 / 615,077 PPM
  • 14 / 9,798,871 / 699,919 PPM
  • 20 / 16,936,520 / 846,826 PPM
  • 6 / 5,482,013 / 913,668 PPM
  • 2 / 2,063,768 / 1,031,884 PPM
  • 29 / 35,851,774 / 1,236,268 PPM
  • 7 / 10,551,219 / 1,507,317 PPM
Question 9: Letter and city name required. Name the Olympic host city based on the logo.

Question 10: Letter and answer required. Identify one of the following that conforms to the theme of this question.
  1. Actress with a starring role in “The Breakfast Club” and “Sixteen Candles,” but not “Pretty Woman.”
  2. The collective name for four music dramas – the Rhinegold, the Valkyrie, Siegfried, and Twilight of the Gods – composed by Richard Wagner, and first performed in 1876.
  3. Referring to a fancy carriage, this is the second song in the 1943 musical, “Oklahoma!”
  4. In Spanish-speaking countries, a sometimes-disparaging term for an English-speaker, especially an American.
  5. A light and airy dessert normally made with whipped egg whites.
  6. According to Mitch Hedberg, this snack company was originally in the business of making tennis balls, until a truckload of potatoes showed up instead of rubber.
  7. A tube with a nozzle and piston, used to draw and eject liquid in a thin stream, sometimes through a needle.
  8. A computer scientist with a namesake test in the field of artificial intelligence, gauging a computer’s ability to mimic human conversations.
  9. A TV personality and former politician who is the subject of Weird Al Yankovic’s parody of a song by the Barenaked Ladies.
  10. In physics, a theoretical framework that proposes the idea that point particles can be modeled as its namesake one-dimensional objects.
For a bonus (-2 points), what is the theme of this question (use question 10B)?

Bonus (-1 point per correct answer, up to -5 points total): in order from left to right, what colors are the rings on the Olympic logo? You get -1 point for every color in the correct position.
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:56 am, edited 11 times in total.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 369 - The Olympics

Post by jeffwolfe »

SenseiCAY wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:01 pm 8) All answers are due by 10 AM ET on Tuesday, January 9th, 2018.
(insert joke about time machines here)
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

jeffwolfe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:01 pm 8) All answers are due by 10 AM ET on Tuesday, January 9th, 2018.
(insert joke about time machines here)
Crap. Fixed it.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Players so far:
Spoiler
We have 38:

floridagator
MasterCone
Gamawire
MarkBarrett
nklotz

badgerfellow
wpwells
Ironhorse
twelvefootboy
Tybalteon

clt013
immaf
CheezeWhiz
Woof
jbeltz

AFRET CMS
Kirbstar
JayBoston
Peachbox
bev nar

This is Aoba
clprez
casketromance
Bipolar Bear
Vintsanity

ElendilPickle
mennoknight
heppm01
joenguyen90
colonialrampage

merica
sillymoose
econgator
Coach P
threearruda

9021amyers
guessonguessonguess
classicroadster
If you didn't win an Olympic gold, it's not too late to get one here!
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 am, edited 13 times in total.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Thanks!
FYI, for the last bonus q's, the form is numbered 11-15, but I predict everybody can solve the equation. Good idea putting the question on the form to help people avoid accidental spoiling.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am Thanks!
FYI, for the last bonus q's, the form is numbered 11-15, but I predict everybody can solve the equation. Good idea putting the question on the form to help people avoid accidental spoiling.
Any effect of doing this are purely accidental - I did also mention the bonus on the quiz itself, though.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This one had some hard decisions; it's sometimes painful to take a drop on a question when I know a good answer or two -- but then am afraid too many others will use the same answers, so taking a drop on a known question hurts but is better than having a good chance of sheeping.

I hate when that happens. And I love it at the same time -- it adds a lot of spice to the puzzle when we have to try to figure out where the best strategic drops and sheeps are! Now if I could just get better at the making the right decisions in those instances.....

Thanks for a fun puzzle -- it will be enjoyable watching the reveal next week, with at least my usual number of forehead slaps, I'm sure.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:54 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am Thanks!
Any effect of doing this are purely accidental - I did also mention the bonus on the quiz itself, though.
You can take credit anyway! I'm sure others do what I do - glance at it when you know you can't do it at the time so you can get brain waves going. I didn't know the final question was coming but I knew I had to go ahead and finish it because I can't possibly unsee
Spoiler
a colored olympic logo
after I've seen it and it will be the first thing I notice when I do.

Boardies previewing the TD beware - don't read to the end. Oh, you already did :oops: .
I don't think it's spoilering to declare I've already taken the lead in wrong answers. I won the last one with 3 wrongs. Drops are for winners!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

We're up to 20, and still plenty of unused answers. Do it!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Up to 22 now, and still plenty of unused answers - I hear if we get to 40, the IOC will recognize us as a sport!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Friday lunchtime bump! Up to 26!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Weekend bump- 31 players now. Still some unused answers out there!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Last bump- we’re at 35 and still a few unused answers! Get your gold medal here!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Last call for answers - we're closing at 10:00 AM EST!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

And we're closed. The final list includes 38 players:

9021amyers
AFRET CMS
badgerfellow
bev nar
Bipolar Bear
casketromance
CheezeWhiz
classicroadster
clprez
clt013
coach P
colonialrampage
econgator
ElendilPickle
floridagator
Gamawire
guessonguessonguess
heppm01
immaf
Ironhorse
JayBoston
jbeltz
joenguyen90
Kirbstar
MarkBarrett
MasterCone
mennoknight
merica
nklotz
Peachbox -- Thanks for hosting!
sillymoose
This is Aoba
threearruda
twelvefootboy
Tybalteon
Vintsanity
Woof
wpwells
-------------

Expect results over the course of the week.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 369 - The Olympics - Q1-Q2 revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

It is now my obligation to declare the game of the 369th TD closed. I call upon the youth of JBoard (and the rest of you here too) to gather in the coming week, both here and at TD 370.

Until then, let's take a look at some results. If you see anything I got wrong, let me know. It's happened before, and it'll happen again.

Question 1: Name or team required. From the 2018 Winter Olympics, name either:
  1. The winner of an individual gold medal for the USA, AND their specific gold medal event (sport AND discipline), or…
  2. An event (gender, sport, and, if applicable, discipline) where the USA won a team gold medal
Note that things like “John Smith, track and field” would be insufficient. A satisfactory answer might look like “John Smith, track and field, 800 meters” for an individual winner or “Women’s Basketball” as a winning team.

WRONG (+13)
---------------
mennoknight ("mens snowboard halfpipe" without winner's name)

SHEEP (+10)
---------------
Ironhorse

Men's Curling - 10
---------------
threearruda
clprez
AFRET CMS
immaf
twelvefootboy
This is Aoba
badgerfellow
Tybalteon
nklotz
joenguyen90

Cross Country Skiing - Women's Team Sprint (Diggins/Randall) - 7
---------------
colonialrampage
classicroadster
wpwells
9021amyers
Woof
Peachbox
merica

Women's Hockey - 5
---------------
bev nar
coach P
econgator
floridagator
Gamawire

Red Gerard - Snowboarding / Slopestyle - 4
---------------
CheezeWhiz
Kirbstar
casketromance
MasterCone

Jamie Anderson - Snowboarding / Slopestyle - 2
---------------
jbeltz
Bipolar Bear

Chloe Kim - Snowboarding / Halfpipe - 2
---------------
guessonguessonguess
ElendilPickle

Mikaela Shiffrin - Skiing / Giant Slalom - 2
---------------
clt013
sillymoose

SINGLETONS
---------------
Shaun White - Snowboarding / Halfpipe - heppm01

DROP
---------------
Vintsanity
JayBoston
MarkBarrett

UNUSED
---------------
David Wise - Freestyle skiing / Halfpipe

Not too surprisingly, the underdog US men's curling team gets the sheep here as one of the most prominent stories of this year's games. "I know this will be the sheep but I'm so proud of them <3," said player and proud flock member Tybalteon. Early darling Chloe Kim ended up being a pretty solid response, while Shaun White becomes a surprising singleton.

Redundant standings after Q1:

38. mennoknight [d][s] - 13
27. Ironhorse [d] - 10
27. AFRET CMS [d][s] - 10
27. This is Aoba [d][s] - 10
27. Tybalteon [d][s] - 10
27. badgerfellow [d][s] - 10
27. clprez [d][s] - 10
27. immaf [d][s] - 10
27. joenguyen90 [d][s] - 10
27. nklotz [d][s] - 10
27. threearruda [d][s] - 10
27. twelvefootboy [d][s] - 10
20. 9021amyers [d][s] - 7
20. Peachbox [d][s] - 7
20. Woof [d][s] - 7
20. classicroadster [d][s] - 7
20. colonialrampage [d][s] - 7
20. merica [d][s] - 7
20. wpwells [d][s] - 7
15. Gamawire [d][s] - 5
15. bev nar [d][s] - 5
15. coach P [d][s] - 5
15. econgator [d][s] - 5
15. floridagator [d][s] - 5
11. CheezeWhiz [d][s] - 4
11. Kirbstar [d][s] - 4
11. MasterCone [d][s] - 4
11. casketromance [d][s] - 4
5. Bipolar Bear [d][s] - 2
5. ElendilPickle [d][s] - 2
5. clt013 [d][s] - 2
5. guessonguessonguess [d][s] - 2
5. jbeltz [d][s] - 2
5. sillymoose [d][s] - 2
4. heppm01 [d][s] - 1
1. JayBoston [s] - 0
1. MarkBarrett [s] - 0
1. Vintsanity [s] - 0
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Let's move onto Q2:

Question 2: Name required. Letter not necessary. The host nations of the two most recent Olympics (2016 and 2018) share the dubious honor of having had their leaders (relatively) recently impeached. Select a title from the choices below and name the person who most recently VACATED that position (i.e. the most recent holder of the title other than the current holder) for any reason.
  • Chancellor of Germany
  • President of Zimbabwe
  • President of France
  • Prime Minister of Canada
  • Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
  • Prime Minister of Italy
  • President of Mexico
  • Prime Minister of Israel
  • President of Afghanistan
  • President of Russia
WRONG (+10)
---------------
Kirbstar (Tony Blair)
twelvefootboy (Helmut Kohl)
coach P (Silvio Berlusconi)
heppm01 (Berlusconi)
ElendilPickle (Berlusconi)
AFRET CMS (Mexico= Vicente Fox)

SHEEP (+7)
---------------
(None)

President of Russia - Dmitry Medvedev - 7
---------------
9021amyers
clprez
jbeltz
casketromance
wpwells
This is Aoba
mennoknight

PM of Canada - Stephen Harper - 6
---------------
sillymoose
floridagator
Gamawire
threearruda
Peachbox
guessonguessonguess

PM of the UK - David Cameron - 4
---------------
econgator
bev nar
joenguyen90
merica

President of France - Francois Hollande - 4
---------------
MarkBarrett
JayBoston
nklotz
badgerfellow

President of Zimbabwe - Robert Mugabe - 4
---------------
Vintsanity
Ironhorse
colonialrampage
MasterCone

President of Afghanistan - Hamid Karzai - 2
---------------
Woof
CheezeWhiz

DROP
---------------
immaf
clt013
Bipolar Bear
Tybalteon
classicroadster

UNUSED
---------------
PM of Italy - Matteo Renzi
PM of Israel - Ehud Olmert
President of Mexico - Felipe Calderon
Chancellor of Germany - Gerhard Schroder

This one played a bit harder than I had anticipated. When writing this, I thought that Fox and Berlusconi would be correct answers, but some quick research showed otherwise. I did not know who preceded Benjamin Netanyahu or Angela Merkel in their current posts, and it would appear that not many of you did, either.

Standings after Q2:

36. AFRET CMS [d][s] - 20 (-9)
36. mennoknight [d][s] - 20 (+2)
36. twelvefootboy [d][s] - 20 (-9)
34. This is Aoba [d][s] - 17 (-7)
34. clprez [d][s] - 17 (-7)
33. threearruda [d][s] - 16 (-6)
32. coach P [d][s] - 15 (-17)
25. Ironhorse [d] - 14 (+2)
25. 9021amyers [d][s] - 14 (-5)
25. Kirbstar [d][s] - 14 (-14)
25. badgerfellow [d][s] - 14 (+2)
25. joenguyen90 [d][s] - 14 (+2)
25. nklotz [d][s] - 14 (+2)
25. wpwells [d][s] - 14 (-5)
24. Peachbox [d][s] - 13 (-4)
23. ElendilPickle [d][s] - 12 (-18)
17. Gamawire [d][s] - 11 (-2)
17. casketromance [d][s] - 11 (-6)
17. colonialrampage [d][s] - 11 (+3)
17. floridagator [d][s] - 11 (-2)
17. heppm01 [d][s] - 11 (-13)
17. merica [d][s] - 11 (+3)
15. Tybalteon [s] - 10 (+12)
15. immaf [s] - 10 (+12)
11. Woof [d][s] - 9 (+9)
11. bev nar [d][s] - 9 (+4)
11. econgator [d][s] - 9 (+4)
11. jbeltz [d][s] - 9 (-6)
8. MasterCone [d][s] - 8 (+3)
8. guessonguessonguess [d][s] - 8 (-3)
8. sillymoose [d][s] - 8 (-3)
7. classicroadster [s] - 7 (+13)
6. CheezeWhiz [d][s] - 6 (+5)
3. JayBoston [s] - 4 (-2)
3. MarkBarrett [s] - 4 (-2)
3. Vintsanity [s] - 4 (-2)
1. Bipolar Bear [s] - 2 (+4)
1. clt013 [s] - 2 (+4)

All bonuses will be scored after Q10, so not to worry - I didn't forget about that! As always, lots of movement early on. Not surprisingly, players using their drops early jump into a quick lead.

Stay tuned for reveals of Q3 and Q4 tomorrow morning.
colonialrampage
Valued Contributor

Post by colonialrampage »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 pm Cross Country Skiing - Women's Team Sprint (Diggins/Randall) - 7
---------------
colonialrampage
classicroadster
wpwells
9021amyers
Woof
Peachbox
merica
Did this many people actually get the name of the event right, or were you generous here? That was my debate in deciding whether or not to choose this one. I would think you'd need "team sprint" or "sprint relay". I'm also wondering because you have Diggins and Randall in parentheses and their names shouldn't have been a correct answer to this question.

Or possibly I badly underestimated the cross-country skiing acumen of jboardies in which case I am (as usual) quite impressed.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

colonialrampage wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:15 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 pm Cross Country Skiing - Women's Team Sprint (Diggins/Randall) - 7
---------------
colonialrampage
classicroadster
wpwells
9021amyers
Woof
Peachbox
merica
Did this many people actually get the name of the event right, or were you generous here? That was my debate in deciding whether or not to choose this one. I would think you'd need "team sprint" or "sprint relay". I'm also wondering because you have Diggins and Randall in parentheses and their names shouldn't have been a correct answer to this question.

Or possibly I badly underestimated the cross-country skiing acumen of jboardies in which case I am (as usual) quite impressed.
Believe it or not, everyone who put this one had "cross-country" and either "sprint relay" or "team sprint" as part of their answer. I would not have accepted just "cross country skiing."
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 369 - The Olympics - Q3-Q4 revealed

Post by SenseiCAY »

Moving onto Q3:

Question 3: Sport required. Name a sport that has been played for a medal in at least two Summer Olympics, but was NOT a medal sport at the 2016 Summer Olympics.

WRONG (+11)
---------------
immaf (golf - was a medal sport in 1896 and 1900, and was back for the first time in 2016)
merica (Standing long jump - event)
Peachbox (cricket - only a medal sport once, in 1900)
Vintsanity (Standing High Jump - event)
colonialrampage (Rope Climb - never an Olympic sport - sport climbing will be added in 2020, though)

Unfortunately, I did not accept standing high jump or long jump - while they were competitive events until 1912, they are events that fall under the sport of athletics, which has been in the Olympics since forever ago.

SHEEP (+8)
---------------
(None)

Baseball - 8
---------------
classicroadster
CheezeWhiz
ElendilPickle
AFRET CMS
threearruda
nklotz
Ironhorse
mennoknight

Softball - 7
---------------
wpwells
coach P
jbeltz
Bipolar Bear
joenguyen90
MarkBarrett
clprez

Tug of War - 7
---------------
twelvefootboy
Tybalteon
bev nar
clt013
JayBoston
casketromance
sillymoose

Lacrosse - 2
---------------
Woof
floridagator

Polo - 2
---------------
guessonguessonguess
Kirbstar

SINGLETONS
---------------
Figure Skating - MasterCone
Rugby Union - 9021amyers

DROP
---------------
heppm01
econgator
badgerfellow
This is Aoba
Gamawire

Standings after Q3:

37. AFRET CMS [d][s] - 28 (-1)
37. mennoknight [d][s] - 28 (-1)
36. twelvefootboy [d][s] - 27
33. Peachbox [d][s] - 24 (-9)
33. clprez [d][s] - 24 (+1)
33. threearruda [d][s] - 24
28. Ironhorse [d] - 22 (-3)
28. coach P [d][s] - 22 (+4)
28. colonialrampage [d][s] - 22 (-11)
28. merica [d][s] - 22 (-11)
28. nklotz [d][s] - 22 (-3)
25. immaf [s] - 21 (-10)
25. joenguyen90 [d][s] - 21
25. wpwells [d][s] - 21
24. ElendilPickle [d][s] - 20 (-1)
23. casketromance [d][s] - 18 (-6)
21. This is Aoba [s] - 17 (+13)
21. Tybalteon [s] - 17 (-6)
18. Kirbstar [d][s] - 16 (+7)
18. bev nar [d][s] - 16 (-7)
18. jbeltz [d][s] - 16 (-7)
14. Vintsanity [s] - 15 (-11)
14. classicroadster [s] - 15 (-7)
14. 9021amyers [d][s] - 15 (+11)
14. sillymoose [d][s] - 15 (-6)
12. badgerfellow [s] - 14 (+13)
12. CheezeWhiz [d][s] - 14 (-6)
11. floridagator [d][s] - 13 (+6)
6. Gamawire [s] - 11 (+11)
6. JayBoston [s] - 11 (-3)
6. MarkBarrett [s] - 11 (-3)
6. heppm01 [s] - 11 (+11)
6. Woof [d][s] - 11 (+5)
5. guessonguessonguess [d][s] - 10 (+3)
1. Bipolar Bear [s] - 9
1. clt013 [s] - 9
1. econgator [s] - 9 (+10)
1. MasterCone [d][s] - 9 (+7)

MasterCone pulls the singleton to move into the lead, still with drop and sheep options, and 9021amyers, with the only other singleton here, also makes a large jump. Econgator and badgerfellow make solid leaps by dropping this one.