LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:20 am Mayonnaise seems so obvious in retrospect. I went with maneuver, focusing on the first clue and ignoring stir + egg yolk and Mahon-(B)ayonne

Maneuver, of course, derives from Fr. main + oeuvre, or work done by hand

Tant pis!
My logical train wandered off the right-of-way and into a cornfield: I wound up answering "meringue". It didn't matter because my opponent treated himself to a sixer.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Three 5s and a 4, with only a 1-2-1 record. Welcome to A Rundle. :lol:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Learned League 76 - Official Thread

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

boson wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 am JenningsK and I defended each other identically, and got the same question wrong. What kills me is that I recently gave a correct answer of Jerome Powell on one of those quiz apps and went totally blank when LL asked for his name, but multiple choice is a lot easier.
I got the same multiple choice question right, and even thought to myself "remember this, it will come up again in LL". All I could remember was that there was a J in the name. Fortunately my jeopardy TOC champ opponent BurnettC also missed it.
I had the opposite experience. I missed that multiple choice question, and the correct name stuck in the back of my mind well enough for me to put down "Powell" with zero confidence. I don't think I could have gotten the first name right with 100 guesses.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:39 am Two of my three wins so far have been by forfeit. I feel dirty.

I forfeited Thursday's game because I usually do LL right after I do J6 but I decided to do J6 earlier in the day since Olympics coverage meant the show was on 7 hours earlier. I won't let that happen again!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm Most would agree that, if you happen across information inadvertently, that constitutes no violation of the "no research" dictum.
Citation needed
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9819
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:31 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm Most would agree that, if you happen across information inadvertently, that constitutes no violation of the "no research" dictum.
Citation needed
I’m aware of the thread, and also the previous dozen on the subject, I would like the citation on “most would agree”.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My stance would be that most agree that the rules are very clear, no external resources may be used to answer questions. (Nothing in here at all indicating that accidentally discovered information is an exception to the external resource rule.)

It is the people who want to find loopholes and exceptions to this in order to justify hypothetical malfeasance, they make a lot of noise when the topic comes up and make the issue appear murky. The rules could not be clearer.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:31 pm
Citation needed
I’m aware of the thread, and also the previous dozen on the subject, I would like the citation on “most would agree”.
Fair enough. That was my entirely unscientific collation of the opinions I've seen expressed on the LL forum since I've been paying attention. FWIW, I'm quite sympathetic to the view you express here and in the linked thread. For that reason, I make a point of doing LL first thing in the morning, usually giving myself no more than 5 minutes (not rigidly enforced -- just that's all the time I usually spend on it), before I tune into NPR. The only problem I've found with that strategy is getting my eyes to focus well enough to read the questions after a particularly late night :mrgreen:
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Woohoo, I got my first playing-along 6-pack with MD5! Thanks, hockey-fan sister and brother-in-law and Budapest episode of Travel Man.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

My first non-rookie rundle was in E. At times, I figured I lose, but occasionally, my opponent would score 0 or 1, giving me the win. For example, in the first 5 Match Days of LL 73, my opponents got collectively 3 questions right.

In LL76, I'm now back in E again, but this time in 5 match days, my opponents have collectively gotten 19 questions right, and I'm sitting at 2-3 despite the top TCA in my rundle and a slightly above average DE of .714. :cry:
Now swimming in the J! pool.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Most days I glance at the questions when I wake up and ruminate a bit before answering later in the morning. Once or twice a season, like yesterday, I open them up and don't have to bother ruminating because I know them all immediately. It's a great feeling but also a little sad to be done so quickly.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jfrumkin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am Most days I glance at the questions when I wake up and ruminate a bit before answering later in the morning. Once or twice a season, like yesterday, I open them up and don't have to bother ruminating because I know them all immediately. It's a great feeling but also a little sad to be done so quickly.
Yesterday was instant-six-pack-answer-and-be-done-with-it day for me as well.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:44 am
jfrumkin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am Most days I glance at the questions when I wake up and ruminate a bit before answering later in the morning. Once or twice a season, like yesterday, I open them up and don't have to bother ruminating because I know them all immediately. It's a great feeling but also a little sad to be done so quickly.
Yesterday was an instant "opponents-will-get-a-six-pack-so-defense-doesn't-matter" sort of day.

I should have guessed Elton John and, though I was briefly puzzled why there was no yellow area on the East, said the Mississippi watershed.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

dinghammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:35 am Woohoo, I got my first playing-along 6-pack with MD5! Thanks, hockey-fan sister and brother-in-law and Budapest episode of Travel Man.
I'm from Greater Detroit. Had I missed the octopus question, agents from Center ICE would have appeared at my home and deported me to Cleveland, which doesn't have an NHL franchise.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:44 am
For some reason it was a disaster for me only getting two correct. I knew Elton John, octopus, and Budapest immediately and then I had a RTFQ moment and answered Hungary instead. Could only come up with "it starts with spin" for the spider question, "oxymoron" never crossed my mind, nor did the Louisiana Purchase. I answered "Missouri River drainage." Oh well. I had to get the bad day out of my system sometime!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Before I do LL, I go through my online comics; helps to shake off sleep dust. One of them is Spinnerette (some pages NSFW): http://www.spinnyverse.com/
For the life of me I could not shake that out of my head when I saw the spider question...which ended up being a good thing!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Like 6% of Llamas, I was proud to come up with the k-pop boy band that performed at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (EXO). I did not know there was more than one such band that could be asked about... I guess Psy showed that people outside of Korea listen to Korean pop, but I'm not one of them.

I appreciate that LL is trying, ever so slowly, to be open to more non-americans, but that was a tough way to do it.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I have found this year very difficult to defend. I'm normally in the 6-700 range, and am currently sub .500. I've been consistently ranking the hardest of the day 3 (based on league wide performance), and opponents keep on getting em. I'm gone from chic to geek.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am Like 6% of Llamas, I was proud to come up with the k-pop boy band that performed at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (EXO). I did not know there was more than one such band that could be asked about... I guess Psy showed that people outside of Korea listen to Korean pop, but I'm not one of them.
I had never heard of EXO and I had never heard of BST. That was a "leave it blank" thing for me.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Oh man, tough season so far in Olympic D - I've gotten 4, 4, 4, and 3 right in the last 4 matches and gone 1-3 in those matches.