LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by SenseiCAY »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 am
boson wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am Like 6% of Llamas, I was proud to come up with the k-pop boy band that performed at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (EXO). I did not know there was more than one such band that could be asked about... I guess Psy showed that people outside of Korea listen to Korean pop, but I'm not one of them.
I had never heard of EXO and I had never heard of BST. That was a "leave it blank" thing for me.
Yeah, next time Thorsten asks about a K-pop band, I'll put down 3 random letters and have a 1/17576 chance of getting it right.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I put down EXO as well as it is literally the only KPop band I'd heard of. Yesterday was a disaster for me; the only one I got right was The Borrowers. Yet I still won. That makes up for me getting 5 right the previous day and scraping a tie due to poor defense.

I also put down Mary Tyler Moore because I just had no idea. I see 19% of the league did the same.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

mennoknight wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:14 am I have found this year very difficult to defend. I'm normally in the 6-700 range, and am currently sub .500. I've been consistently ranking the hardest of the day 3 (based on league wide performance), and opponents keep on getting em. I'm gone from chic to geek.
I, on the other hand, currently have a DE of .958. I don't feel as if I'm doing anything differently from my usual 6-700 range. I expect that defense will revert somewhat as the season progresses, for both of us. But, for now, it's interesting seeing myself listed 2nd on the Sandra leader board for Elysium.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I knew if I let the questions marinate for a while I’d come up with the answer to the Iraq war missile question - and it came to me around 12am while washing dishes. Yay, scud for the win!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

BTS is one of my all-time proudest LL gets. I first became aware of them when they performed on the most recent New Year's Rockin' Eve. I came across their name a second time when one of the live trivia apps I play, Hangtime, was advertising a set of specialty quizzes on K-Pop. When the question came up, I couldn't quite remember their name, but I knew it was a three-letter initialism that reminded me of the BTK Killer. After about ten minutes of trying to pull it from the back of the brain file, it finally came to me.

OTOH, The Borrowers/The Littles was a classic 50/50/90.
Sprinkles are for winners.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm OTOH, The Borrowers/The Littles was a classic 50/50/90.
Only now am I realizing that there is a series of books called The Littles - I had assumed were talking about sequels to the book Stuart Little about a mouse child of a human family. In fact Stuart Little was written by EB White in 1945, twenty years before The Littles was written by John Peterson. Sometimes less knowledge is better.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I follow IHeart Radio on Twitter; they've mentioned BTS a number of times.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm OTOH, The Borrowers/The Littles was a classic 50/50/90.
Only now am I realizing that there is a series of books called The Littles - I had assumed were talking about sequels to the book Stuart Little about a mouse child of a human family. In fact Stuart Little was written by EB White in 1945, twenty years before The Littles was written by John Peterson. Sometimes less knowledge is better.
This is how I feel about having missed the Olympics' closing ceremonies and therefore having not heard of EXO.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 am
boson wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am Like 6% of Llamas, I was proud to come up with the k-pop boy band that performed at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (EXO). I did not know there was more than one such band that could be asked about... I guess Psy showed that people outside of Korea listen to Korean pop, but I'm not one of them.
I had never heard of EXO and I had never heard of BST. That was a "leave it blank" thing for me.
Yeah, next time Thorsten asks about a K-pop band, I'll put down 3 random letters and have a 1/17576 chance of getting it right.
Actually, your odds are slightly better than that. A K-Pop band probably won't call itself "STD", for instance.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I got credit for "spinners" but still lost

the hockey clue pointed me to octopus (ew, no way) or stop sign (is that 8 or 6 sides?) so I went with magic 8 ball
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:09 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 am
Actually, your odds are slightly better than that. A K-Pop band probably won't call itself "STD", for instance.
You could probably safely eliminate KKK as well.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I had another new experience on MD7: I drank the beer and dropped 5 places in the standings. Tough crowd for a C rundle! The good news is that, thanks to my opponent's 9(6), my DE is still .958, best in Elysium for now.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I don't mind losing, but 8(5)-9(5) hurts. Did you have to go and kill my defensive stats? How does a guy who was previously 10-11 on math questions miss a fairly straightforward one about perfect numbers?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I went 6 for 6 last night! The itchy skin was a guess but I thought of pink eye & realized that already had a name so I just had to put something. 4 of the others were instagets & the one from Ghostbusters had me second guessing myself. I haven't seen that movie in a long time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm I went 6 for 6 last night! The itchy skin was a guess but I thought of pink eye & realized that already had a name so I just had to put something. 4 of the others were instagets & the one from Ghostbusters had me second guessing myself. I haven't seen that movie in a long time.
That's awesome. I got 5 because I stupidly switched Salvation Army to Goodwill, thinking it wasn't founded in the UK. Anyway, 5 was good enough for a win

I wasn't sure if I would get credit for "perfect integer" or "Stay Puff", but the algorithm was generous
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got all 6 for the first time. Thorsten was generous; I wasn't sure if it was perfect number or perfect integer so I just put "perfect".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:02 pm I got all 6 for the first time. Thorsten was generous; I wasn't sure if it was perfect number or perfect integer so I just put "perfect".
By definition, a perfect number has to be an integer, so that's safe.

And for Stay PufF, unless you're spitting (or closely watching the spelling in the movie), that last 'T' gets elided easily. Aykroyd does it a couple times. So it passes on the 'sounds like' level
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

During week 1, my DE was 1.000. Now, through week 2, my overall DE is .654--and one of my opponents this week drank beer, so that drop is really from 3 days' worth of questions. I've given up 2 scores of 6 (3). One of them I won anyway, then yesterday I tied getting 5 right. Both opponents went way off their %ages in answering--I realize music notes and knowing works / musicians are quite different, but the person I played against yesterday was 6-6 in classical music and 9-11 in pop music....then missed the music note question.

I've had quite the drastic change and plummet in DE from week to week to start the season.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My hope of making it through the season without at least one 0(0) day ended with yesterday's set. I am still slightly above the middle of the pack in my rundle by TCA, but I'm barely above the relegation zone right now. So far this might be the "unluckiest" season of my LL career.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MD8: I don't mind losing 6(3)-8(5) when the 2 questions I should have got right (the hemidemi. music one and homeopathy) would've only netted me 1 more point. Still early days, but I think I'll live to see another A

OTOH, my DE should really be higher this season