Thursday, March 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 1, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Since Erin Moran just died last year, I'm surprised anybody was confused by that clue. After all, it said she didn't twitch her nose...
I thought and wrote Channel Islands right away, but it seemed both too obvious and so unlikely (not part of the UK?) that I was getting ready to change to Hebrides (since Scotland is not sure it wants to be part of the UK). Thank goodness I didn't have time...
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:38 pm THEY'RE REAL!!! TIEBREAKERS REALLY EXIST!!!

...and now that I've seen one, it kinda sucked, and I wish they'd go back to co-champs :(
Heh, this was exactly my sequence of reactions. At first, I was really excited, since it was the first time it ever happened in a non-tournament game.

And then, it turned to disappointment, when the tiebreaker was ridiculously easy and came down to whose buzzer timing was better.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

acthomas wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:36 pm "Norman Isles" immediately suggested to me that they were near, or formerly the property of, Normandy. From there I figured they had to be in the south English Channel and so Channel Islands was my only guess.
Same here.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Instaget FJ as I'm planning a trip to the U.K. & I was looking at the map tonight. I don't understand the bit about them not being part of the UK but I'll go look that up now. I was 5/5 in a few categories such as Band Together & Erin. The tiebreaker was fun but that was pretty easy.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Cool game. Was it the fall of 2013 that they had four ties in quick succession and that led to the tiebreaker rule? And here it's four seasons later and it finally got used.

That neg on the alimentary Daily Double was painful to watch. I think at that point a lot of contestants' cardiac sphincter would relax and their pyloric sphincter would lock shut and there would be a swift and powerful motion of the diaphragm.

Erin Morin was of course instagot but when I saw that nose twitching bit I just figured that the 200 clue that have been skipped was about Erin Murphy. Erin Murphy originally played the part with her sister Diane.

I find myself cheering for Laura but I'm not sure why. Go first solo champ to tie!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

And of course Facebook and Twitter are full of people complaining about the tie-breaker.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W: 5, costing 4200
Coryat: 23,400
FJ: :(
DD: 2/3
LT: (Nina), mucus, (stomach)

Ran food franchises. Not entirely sure that's a good thing. Good for J! Not so good for my diet. 4/5 in comparative geography. 4/4 in measurements. Didn't get stumped in lit today. By definition, that makes it a good day for me. :lol:

My FJ answer was further off than Scott's. I could have picked the Orkneys or the Shetlands or even the Isles of Man or Wight. But no, I had to go to the Indian ocean to find my wrong answer. :oops:

I'm going to cut Sarah a break. Her wager definitely had strategy behind it. It was an incomplete strategy and failed to take the third player in the game into account. But it had thought behind it. It also had a failure of the rounding direction for the employed strategy. Hence the tie breaker.

PS - I was kind of rooting for some more weight comparisons in About the Size Of It.

PPS - Looks like we're still two weeks off. This one should have aired on March 15, I suspect. Makes the Erin, Go "Bra" categories more timely that way.
--Peter
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SEEING THINGS DIFFERENTLY $1200 wrote:St. Paul wrote "For now we see through" this "darkly; but then face to face"
"Glass" was given as a correct answer. I said "mirror". Judges? Maybe it's because I"m more of a NIV person than a KJV person (although the rest of the quote doesn't match up in NIV), but I"m thinking of the title of one of my favourite Star Trek episodes (surprisingly, from the Enterprise series) "Through A Mirror, Darkly". I'm guessing the Enterprise writers were doing an actual quote, maybe not from the KJV, but is there a translation that does the quote but just with "mirror" for "glass"? (EDIT: The New King James version comes close: "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face") And, if there was, would I be credited? (For the sleuths, the verse is One Corinthians 13:12).
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 pm Freaks? Freaks!?!? FREAKS?!?!!!!??
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that one. However, alietr, you say "freaks" like there's something wrong with that!
IronNeck wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:34 pm And then, it turned to disappointment, when the tiebreaker was ridiculously easy and came down to whose buzzer timing was better.
Like many of Jeopardy! clues are. Sometimes you're going to have an easy clue (whether in regular play, Final, or TB), sometimes you're going to have a hard one. What clues you get are all part of the luck.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I recall Tabitha Stephens not being able to twitch her nose, and doing it by hand, so I find the "nose-twitching" descriptor inaccurate.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:59 pm Cool game. Was it the fall of 2013 that they had four ties in quick succession and that led to the tiebreaker rule? And here it's four seasons later and it finally got used.

That neg on the alimentary Daily Double was painful to watch. I think at that point a lot of contestants' cardiac sphincter would relax and their pyloric sphincter would lock shut and there would be a swift and powerful motion of the diaphragm.

Erin Morin was of course instagot but when I saw that nose twitching bit I just figured that the 200 clue that have been skipped was about Erin Murphy. Erin Murphy originally played the part with her sister Diane.

I find myself cheering for Laura but I'm not sure why. Go first solo champ to tie!
Off by a year, sir. Fall of 2014, three seasons ago, but otherwise your memory is right. I believe there exists a post on a thread way down the board in which Vermonter gave strong circumstantial evidence that the uptick in tied games could be traced to the airings of Arthur Chu’s regular games; recall that Chu was particularly a disciple of the “wager to tie” strategy that TFW espoused.

“Not part of the U.K.” got me down to the Isle of Man or Jersey and Guernsey - but the more general name of the latter eluded me. I wrote “what are Jersey and Guernsey?” on the score sheet; though I marked that response as incorrect, I submit it to the Board’s judgment for reconsideration. When I looked up from mulling the correctness of that response, I was most surprised to see the same number at both the first and third lecterns - “what? We’re not done... another clue to play?” In contrast to final, I easily disposed of the tiebreaker.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:29 pmReally?

Strategy was certainly there. Execution may not have been — Sarah clearly overwatered by $1 — but to say the strategy is lacking is incredibly disingenuous.
What, pray tell, does the hydration status of any of the contestants have to do with the outcome of the game? (Watch the autocorrect, my friend.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

kprather895 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 pm And of course Facebook and Twitter are full of people complaining about the tie-breaker.
As they should. It sucks and it's a cheap move by the show.

Norman led me to Channel Islands on FJ, but then I spent the rest of the time wondering if they were a real thing and I wasn't just thinking of the Channel Islands in California.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This one's a bit of a dilemma for me. I considered using the actual result to resolve it (which would make this game a draw for Shore's Conjecture), but that information won't be available unless the leader chooses the wager that actually results in a tie.

I'll resolve the issue by defining it as a win for Shore's Conjecture, since the Shore's Conjecture wager would have achieved a more certain result for the leader than the actual result. In the future, if the Shore's Conjecture wager results in a tie when the shut-out wager would result in a clear win, I will consider the game a loss for Shore's Conjecture. Conversely, if one wager results in a tie while the other wager results in a loss, the wager that affords the leader a chance to win the game via a tie-break will be considered a winner.

This game is a win for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Size (5), Food (3), Historic Trios (4), Mailing (3), Erin (5), Go "BRA" (2)
Alimentary (0), 14-Letter Words (2), Band (4), Things (2), Novel (3), Measure (1)

Lach Trash: Erin Burnett, Canada

I wasn't aware of their status according to the British government, but I knew the Channel Islands were off the coast of Normandy.

Instaget on the tie-breaker.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

36 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Nina), Canada, (The Scarlet Pimpernel), Current, (Stomach)

Missed the Tie Breaker question. Wasn't paying attention. :oops:

Sabra I knew at one time.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mfc248 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 pm “Not part of the U.K.” got me down to the Isle of Man or Jersey and Guernsey - but the more general name of the latter eluded me. I wrote “what are Jersey and Guernsey?” on the score sheet; though I marked that response as incorrect, I submit it to the Board’s judgment for reconsideration.
If the clue had said "these islands," I'd be inclined to say yes (both to your response, and any response that named at least two Channel Islands). But in light of the phrases "this group" and "once known as the Norman Isles" appearing in the clue, I think only a complete list of the individual islands would count in absence of the phrase "Channel Islands" in one's response.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 pm
mfc248 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 pm “Not part of the U.K.” got me down to the Isle of Man or Jersey and Guernsey - but the more general name of the latter eluded me. I wrote “what are Jersey and Guernsey?” on the score sheet; though I marked that response as incorrect, I submit it to the Board’s judgment for reconsideration.
If the clue had said "these islands," I'd be inclined to say yes (both to your response, and any response that named at least two Channel Islands). But in light of the phrases "this group" and "once known as the Norman Isles" appearing in the clue, I think only a complete list of the individual islands would count in absence of the phrase "Channel Islands" in one's response.
Agreed. Jersey and Guernsey are by far the largest islands in the archipelago, but there are numerous islands constituting the "Channel Islands."
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 pm
"Glass" was given as a correct answer. I said "mirror". Judges? Maybe it's because I"m more of a NIV person than a KJV person (although the rest of the quote doesn't match up in NIV), but I"m thinking of the title of one of my favourite Star Trek episodes (surprisingly, from the Enterprise series) "Through A Mirror, Darkly". I'm guessing the Enterprise writers were doing an actual quote, maybe not from the KJV, but is there a translation that does the quote but just with "mirror" for "glass"? (EDIT: The New King James version comes close: "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face") And, if there was, would I be credited? (For the sleuths, the verse is One Corinthians 13:12).
I had mirror, also. I've heard people quote the New King James version you mention.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 pm Like many of Jeopardy! clues are. Sometimes you're going to have an easy clue (whether in regular play, Final, or TB), sometimes you're going to have a hard one. What clues you get are all part of the luck.
Normally though, who buzzes in first on a $200 clue doesn't decide the game. In this case, it literally did.

If they wanted to do a tiebreaker, they should have made it relatively challenging. (Although I agree with Kirk that ideally, we would still have co-champions)
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I had figured out that something was going to happen in this game, but wasn't sure what. Thought it was going to be someone pulling a Clavin and losing, or a triple zero, or something like that, but was so excited to see a regular play tiebreaker finally happen. I wish Alex would've said a quick explanatory blurb for the uninformed ("We changed the rule a few years ago" "this is the first time in regular play" or something like that).
floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:59 pm I find myself cheering for Laura but I'm not sure why. Go first solo champ to tie!
Myself as well. I think because we've had a handful of characters on the show recently, Laura's calm, quiet demeanor has been a pleasant change of pace. I also think that she's played a lot better than her 2-day winnings indicate.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
billiej

Post by billiej »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 pm I thought and wrote Channel Islands right away, but it seemed both too obvious and so unlikely (not part of the UK?) that I was getting ready to change to Hebrides (since Scotland is not sure it wants to be part of the UK). Thank goodness I didn't have time...
Same, except for the not having enough time part, so I did. :evil: