Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm
Yeah, I recognize it but what is it? And by who? Thanks.
PowerofHoodoo has already answered, but I want to share how I have found the name of that piece before. The way I found the answer took a couple layers of investigation. Right after the part they play is a part that's incorporated into a tune in the video game "Yoshi's Cookie." If you research that tune, you'll find that's adapted from a piece called "Csikós Post" (this time around I found a comment on YouTube that said it; I don't recall how I found it out the first time). In the Wikipedia article about "Csikós Post," the second paragraph says, "The melodic line in which the piece transitions to C major is a variation on a melody from Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2."

Here are some titles of pieces that, though the titles may be unfamiliar, contain melodies you might recognize:
- "Korobeyniki" (Russian folk song)
- "Morning Mood" by Edvard Grieg
- "Entrance of the Gladiators" by Julius Fučík
- "Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachaturian
- "Soulful Strut" by Young-Holt Unlimited (an instrumental of a song called "Am I the Same Girl")
- "Pick Up the Pieces" by Average White Band

I think "Stars and Stripes Forever," "In the Mood," "Misirlou," and "Wipeout" are well known enough by both melody and title that they don't need to be on that list. I'm on the fence about "Sabre Dance." I want to include "Sunchyme" by Dario G, but I'm probably overestimating its importance because I just found out a few days ago that that was the title of that "Hey-a-ma-ma" song.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:56 pm
PowerofHoodoo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm ...

Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 by Liszt? If that’s right, I heard it first, like a lot of classical music, in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
Thank you so much. Yes, you have your pick of cartoons.
I pick Victor Borge!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm
PowerofHoodoo has already answered, but I want to share how I have found the name of that piece before. The way I found the answer took a couple layers of investigation. Right after the part they play is a part that's incorporated into a tune in the video game "Yoshi's Cookie." If you research that tune, you'll find that's adapted from a piece called "Csikós Post" (this time around I found a comment on YouTube that said it; I don't recall how I found it out the first time). In the Wikipedia article about "Csikós Post," the second paragraph says, "The melodic line in which the piece transitions to C major is a variation on a melody from Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2."

Here are some titles of pieces that, though the titles may be unfamiliar, contain melodies you might recognize:
- "Korobeyniki" (Russian folk song)
- "Morning Mood" by Edvard Grieg
- "Entrance of the Gladiators" by Julius Fučík
- "Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachaturian
- "Soulful Strut" by Young-Holt Unlimited (an instrumental of a song called "Am I the Same Girl")
- "Pick Up the Pieces" by Average White Band

I think "Stars and Stripes Forever," "In the Mood," "Misirlou," and "Wipeout" are well known enough by both melody and title that they don't need to be on that list. I'm on the fence about "Sabre Dance." I want to include "Sunchyme" by Dario G, but I'm probably overestimating its importance because I just found out a few days ago that that was the title of that "Hey-a-ma-ma" song.
Thanks for the extras. Yes, all familiar and on none of them could I have named both title and composer other than J! has used Khachaturian and the piece in a fair amount of clues over the years. "Entry of the Gladiators" was a $100,000 winning tune on the Tom Kennedy version of the famous game show. The Average White Band and Dario G tunes were the two when I had no idea what I would hear when I put them in a YT search box.

"Soulful Strut" is a great one to use for slide shows as the music can go with a wide variety of pictures.

Volante: Yes, Victor Borge is great.

I found another method with the Liszt song:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:49 pm This is a first come, first serve type of thing as it won't work for the 2nd person. I finished a box of Wheaties and there is an offer of 3 free Jordan Spieth Titleist golf balls with purchase of 4 specially marked boxes. Jumping through the registration hoops and the marketing annoyances that go with it are not of interest to me. Not to mention the product itself.

In case anyone does care this is my code up for grabs:

Registration is at: wheaties.com/golfballs

The offer goes through the end of May, so I'm sure I'll go through a few more boxes of the cereal before then to have more codes to share.

Out of curiosity I checked eBay and sure enough there are sellers looking for buyers of one single ball or the set of three.
Finished another box: Image
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 pm I want to include "Sunchyme" by Dario G, but I'm probably overestimating its importance because I just found out a few days ago that that was the title of that "Hey-a-ma-ma" song.
I didn't pay enough attention reading up on it at the time I posted this, but the song "Life in a Northern Town" by The Dream Academy was heavily sampled in "Sunchyme."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 3/4 calendar page yesterday had a FJ! clue in THE OLD WEST: The letters delivered by this 1860-61 service were carried in a mochila, a leather pouch that draped over the saddle

The correct response was of course the Pony Express. Also marked as Acceptable: Central Overland California and Pikes Peak Express Co.

Now there is a great showoff response for anyone on the show who gets such a clue. Just don't try it in the FJ! round. It's easy to imagine Alex saying, "You know, you coulda just said Pony Express."

I found a hit in the Archive for using the longer name:

#6817, aired 2014-04-15 THE OLD WEST $400: More common name for the Central Overland Calif. & Pikes Peak Express Co., which used a steamer to go from Sacramento to S.F.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of the Oscars -- The Washington Post published a list of all of the Best Picture winners so you can see how many you've seen. I'm somewhere around 82 (I made it a project a few years back to try to see the ones I hadn't seen), but there were 3 or 4 that I couldn't remember whether I'd seen them or not. Have at it.

Best Pictures.GIF
Best Pictures.GIF (134.25 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 am Speaking of the Oscars -- The Washington Post published a list of all of the Best Picture winners so you can see how many you've seen. I'm somewhere around 82 (I made it a project a few years back to try to see the ones I hadn't seen), but there were 3 or 4 that I couldn't remember whether I'd seen them or not. Have at it.

Best Pictures.GIF
81 that I can remember. Broadway Melody, Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld, An American in Paris, Tom Jones, 12 Years a Slave, Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water still missing.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

We recently saw The Best Years of Our Lives for the first time and enjoyed it very much. But be warned: life's too short for The Broadway Melody.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 am Speaking of the Oscars -- The Washington Post published a list of all of the Best Picture winners so you can see how many you've seen. I'm somewhere around 82 (I made it a project a few years back to try to see the ones I hadn't seen), but there were 3 or 4 that I couldn't remember whether I'd seen them or not. Have at it.

Best Pictures.GIF
81 that I can remember. Broadway Melody, Cavalcade, The Great Ziegfeld, An American in Paris, Tom Jones, 12 Years a Slave, Spotlight, Moonlight, The Shape of Water still missing.
Maybe you don't want this thing to metastasize into a long thread, but I was surprised to score a 20! Two were seen in theaters, two in drive-ins, the rest on the small screen. Does low score count for anything? Maybe the ratio of score to age? I'm at 0.31 :P .
Spoiler

All CAPS if seen at theater/drive-in

2010’s
(null)
2000’s
TLTR –
CHICAGO
Gladiator

1990’s
Forrest Gump

1980’s
Driving Miss Daisy
Rain Man
Chariots of Fire

1970’s
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Patton

1960’s
MIDNIGHT COWBOY
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT
The Sound of Music
Lawrence of Arabia
West Side Story
The Apartment

1950’s
Ben Hur
On the Waterfront?

1940’s
Casablanca
How Green Was My Valley

1930’s
Gone With the Wind
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:31 pm
Maybe you don't want this thing to metastasize into a long thread, but I was surprised to score a 20! Two were seen in theaters, two in drive-ins, the rest on the small screen. Does low score count for anything? Maybe the ratio of score to age? I'm at 0.31 :P .
May we have half credit for La La Land and extra points for The English Patient? I'm with Elaine Benes on the latter.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have seen the following from start to finish:
Casablanca
Patton
Chariots of Fire *
Ghandi *
Rain Man
Driving Miss Daisy
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump *
Titanic *

(*-Saw in a theater, the rest were on home video)

I have seen parts of Rocky several times, but never from beginning to end. I have seen maybe half of Gone With the Wind.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

One of my post-retirement "projects" was tracking down the two dozen or so Best Picture winners I hadn't yet seen. I'm caught up, except for The Shape of Water, which won't be available on Netflix for another two weeks.
squarekara wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm But be warned: life's too short for The Broadway Melody.
You're probably right, although I now have a semi-crush on Bessie Love. Cimarron, IMO, might be worse. Richard Dix chews scenery like a Tasmanian devil.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Fleeboy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:56 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:02 pm But be warned: life's too short for The Broadway Melody.
You're probably right, although I now have a semi-crush on Bessie Love.
I think I have an old VHS copy. Maybe I'll geocache it along some riverbank somewhere.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've seen 32 of them (which is actually about twice as many as I would have guessed).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

It seems I've seen about 40 Best Picture Oscar winners, if we count one of every three that I'm pretty sure I've watched most of and may perhaps have seen all of (though not necessarily in one shot), but in any case over 30 legitimately, from start to finish (aside from whatever was cut out for television).

My golden age, it seems, was the mid-60s through the mid-80s, which, significantly or not, corresponds roughly to the period from my birth to the point of my being fully grown. I'm not sure I made it all the way through Out of Africa, but in any case, Last Emperor stops the streak solidly at that end while on the other side, I have read but not watched A Man for All Seasons, and then My Fair Lady is among the seen-much-but-perhaps-never-all of (though it has helped me on quite a few FJs over the years), and Tom Jones I have neither seen nor read (though I did once buy a used paperback edition which I probably still have somewhere. BTW, an enterprising trivia writer might want to do something with the fact that Henry Fielding wrote "Tom Jones" while Helen Fielding wrote about Bridget Jones).

I probably won't make a huge priority of seeing all the others, because, for one thing, I suspect they're just going to keep going after I'm gone.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Apparently Opus has been busy during his absence from here:

These penguins found a camera in Antarctica and captured a surprisingly good ‘selfie’
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:23 pm Apparently Opus has been busy during his absence from here:

These penguins found a camera in Antarctica and captured a surprisingly good ‘selfie’
Consarnit, I was about to do that too! Makin the headline rounds, Opus...
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-envi ... antarctica
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since I know there's quite a few fans here ... today's New York Times crossword puzzle was written by Weird Al Yankovic. If someone wants a copy, let me know.
brick

Post by brick »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 am Since I know there's quite a few fans here ... today's New York Times crossword puzzle was written by Weird Al Yankovic. If someone wants a copy, let me know.
I was just coming to post this! Great minds....