New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dell3234 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am how are we going to do it?
Time travel
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5877

Continuing on the David Frazee tapes, we have Tim Buthod's second game, vs. Laurie Chambliss and Bill Lipscomb, who were visibly having fun playing. I really enjoyed watching this one from a viewer's standpoint, and of course like all the early 90s games, it had a ton of the good stuff.

If you're going to get your first hit in the J-Archive, having your own category is a great way to do it. Welcome to the J-Canon, ALAN & MARILYN BERGMAN SONGS, as well as the correct response to the $300 clue:
The Bergmans wrote the lyrics & this Frenchman the music for "Brian's Song" & "The Windmills Of Your Mind"
Spoiler
Who is Michel Legrand?
Laurie got credit in the FIRST LADIES category for "Mrs. Grant", when spotted "Ulys". That seems generous. (Her first name is Julia.)

Not new to the Archive was shittim wood, which added a second clue appearance thanks to THE OLD TESTAMENT for $400 (DJ). My inner Beavis snickered.
In Exodus 25:10-11 God said this should be made of shittim wood, overlaid with gold
Spoiler
What is the Ark of the Covenant?
Double "Clues of the Game," both from the DJ! round. First, the Daily Double in CHINESE HISTORY for $1000, which I got right:
It's the term for the 3 kneelings & 9 prostrations foreign envoys performed when meeting the Ch'ing emperor
and second, the $1000 clue in BOOKS & AUTHORS, which I didn't know:
This H.G. Wells novel begins, "The stranger came early in February, one wintry day..."
Spoiler
What is kowtow?
What is The Invisible Man?
Have a good day.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew of "kowtow" entirely from a Garfield comic where he said something about kowtowing to the mailman. That always struck me as an oddly obscure reference, particularly for that strip.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

D.B uploaded a tiny bit of the January 29, 1993 (Diane Siegel game 5, starts at the last Daily Double of DJ!) episode on YouTube:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Diane's display briefly read $10,800 instead of $10,300, just long enough for Alex to say it aloud.

I was able to name two in FJ (not counting the one that has also become correct since then).
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

how are we going to enter the info for the missing games?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dell3234 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:23 pm how are we going to enter the info for the missing games?
The Season 34 games will be entered as archivists have time. Having the games recorded is not an issue.

If you need stats or videos of the games then busy yourself with these links:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/

https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr

For other J! related entertainment: https://thejeopardyfan.com/category/fea ... ylivepanel
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5923

November 27, 1992, Michael Ming vs. Virginia Parrish vs. Tim Buthod. Continuing David's tapes, we have Tim Buthod's next game.

The last clue of the J! round taught me that I really didn't know what "Love Canal" was, other than having the vaguest notion. I lump it in with Three Mile Island as an ecological disaster, but that's as far as it goes.

2 clues of the game. First, SHAKESPEARE for $200 (DJ!), which is fun to know:
Commonly known as this, she's listed as Joan La Pucelle in "Henry VI, Part I"
Spoiler
Who is Joan of Arc?
And second, the Daily Double at FOOD for $800:
It's the pfeffer in hasenpfeffer & pfeffernuesse
Spoiler
What is pepper? Admit it, you guessed rabbit, just like I did, and just like Michael did. Closest thing to a trick Q Daily Double I remember seeing.
Insert my usual praise for the game material in the shows from this era, especially the bottom of the board clues in DJ!. FJ! is a great clue that I missed, but all 3 players got.
ISLANDS: This is the largest island in the Indian Ocean
Spoiler
What is Madagascar?
Virginia tucked an extra letter in there, but got credit for a correct response.

Have a good night.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:34 am D.B uploaded a tiny bit of the January 29, 1993 (Diane Siegel game 5, starts at the last Daily Double of DJ!) episode on YouTube:

Took a few minutes and stuck what we had of this one in.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5933

That's one more 5-timer/ToC player where we have at least (part of) 1 game in the archive.

"Indonesian island" is not adequate as a pavlov by itself. +dance however, narrows it down considerably. That would be a good study guide to put together. Bali vs. Java vs. Sumatra vs. Komodo vs. something else?

And if anyone would like to chip in to buy my keyboard a new = key, that would be great. ;)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I filled in 1/17/02 to complete the run of Nanette Wargo: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1183

Here opportunity to make the TOC was right there for her.

I wonder if PEOPLE $200 is still true? It's 2018, so perhaps the pair still working have the most?

THE ROLE PLAYED had three stumpers. Young people. [shakes head]

TOUGH '70s TV lived up to its billing with two of the clues stumping the players. I only got 3 right as well including a miss for only +800 overall.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:36 pm I filled in 1/17/02 to complete the run of Nanette Wargo: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1183

Here opportunity to make the TOC was right there for her.

I wonder if PEOPLE $200 is still true? It's 2018, so perhaps the pair still working have the most?
Maaaaaybe?
Spoiler
Penn & Teller have been in residency at the Rio longer than Siegfried & Roy were at the Mirage...(17yrs to 13yrs) but trying to sum up earlier performances is tricky...gonna need hella more research time than I have available
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A rare game in which, given the FJ wagers, third place wins on a correct response regardless of how the others do.
cjbeckner1
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by cjbeckner1 »

Posting here to see if anyone can offer advice on how I can find full video of the episode on which I was a contestant - the fourth quarterfinal of the 1991 Teen Tournament, originally aired on February 14, 1991. The VHS tape of it at my parents' house was lost a few years' back and I can't find it anywhere directly online or streaming. Please send me a private message with any advice! Thanks, Chris
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Roger Werries has posted his first game from January 21, 2002 (only the intro is archived so far) on YouTube:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm Roger Werries has posted his first game from January 21, 2002 (only the intro is archived so far) on YouTube:
Any other archivist is welcome to take this one as I can skip ahead and do another S18 game later this month.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:15 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm Roger Werries has posted his first game from January 21, 2002 (only the intro is archived so far) on YouTube:
Any other archivist is welcome to take this one as I can skip ahead and do another S18 game later this month.
We have a new entry for "Archivist declines to enter category featuring his own name."
mark.png
mark.png (77.51 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
We'll file it under "Archivist enters category featuring his own middle name" instead. ;)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Can anyone work out what Lisa says after "What is Caesarian calendar?" at around 7:50?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 am Can anyone work out what Lisa says after "What is Caesarian calendar?" at around 7:50?
Spoiler
Sounds like her answer was "What is Caesarian calendar, or just Caesar?", as if she wasn't sure if they wanted the calendar or the ruler. Don't think I've heard that particular wrong answer before.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:28 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 am Can anyone work out what Lisa says after "What is Caesarian calendar?" at around 7:50?
Spoiler
Sounds like her answer was "What is Caesarian calendar, or just Caesar?", as if she wasn't sure if they wanted the calendar or the ruler. Don't think I've heard that particular wrong answer before.
Spoiler
It almost sounded to me like she was trying to say "Julius Caesar" but kind of got thrown off by Alex saying "no" in the middle of it and dropped a syllable. I wonder if she thought the Julian calendar was named for the Caesar rather than a pope.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:06 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:28 am
Spoiler
Spoiler
It almost sounded to me like she was trying to say "Julius Caesar" but kind of got thrown off by Alex saying "no" in the middle of it and dropped a syllable. I wonder if she thought the Julian calendar was named for the Caesar rather than a pope.
Spoiler