Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), March 6, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), March 6, 2018

Post by mahatma »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:06 pm
mahatma wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 pm What's the verdict on 'ours' instead of 'our'?
Doesn't technically match the clue as "a period of time" points to singular rather than plural but on the show they generally don't neg for a singular/plural disagreement unless the category is something like "4 letter words" or "ends with -ur", so you should be fine here.
I'd neg it for the exact reason you stated.
jeff6286 >> ironhorse
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:09 pm I'd neg it for the exact reason you stated.
I feel as though the show is more lenient on the online test than they might be on the show.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

42 if neurons is wrong, 43 if it isn't. I believe it was two years ago that I made a personal best of 49, but then last year I just just just scraped by. Anyway, I wasn't looking to set the world on fire, just to light a flame in a few hearts.

So, "neurons" on 3, NHO Zappos as far as I recall, did not know The Alchemist, am very good at forgetting Trump's people (and overall, I'm happy about it), said "fermentation" certain I was forgetting something (I did think of "zymurgy" but I think that's the same as fermentation), didn't remember Jessica Jones, though she sort of works the same area I do, blanked on Goosebumps (though I was totally ready for A Series of Unfortunate Events), and assumed "Labor Relations" was right until I came here.

Sorry to all who experienced technical failures. I was worried about a particular one myself, as my computer's clock often lags, and it corrects itself unpredictably. If I happen to be playing on Sporcle at such moments, the game clock adjusts itself at the speed of sound if not light, and I was afraid it might happen here. My fears were realized only partially, though, as the test began about a minute ahead of my countdown window, but I did have sound on and when I looked we were only on Question One.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:56 pm One possible correction: "Our" in #26. Our/hour are homophones.
I noticed that too, but "our" (or "ours") was all I could think of so I went with that.

By my count, I got 41, unless I typed my answer to the V.P. one in time, in which case 42. Inexplicably, I got the pop music question right but missed the other grammar question. That's a first!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I’m somewhere between 39 and 41, depending on whether “neurons” and “ours” are accepted as correct.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

41 right here, about average for me. Should have been a little higher, perhaps, due to some brain cramps on my part.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I misread #34 as "safety razor". :oops: 43 right, which is pretty much what I get every time.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

45 or 46 for me, by far my best ever. (I got a 40 or 41 on the test that led to my audition.) I hit "submit" on most of them well before the time limit. That means the next two nights' tests are going to be much tougher....
Hoping for a third lap
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Andromus wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:20 pm 41 right here, about average for me. Should have been a little higher, perhaps, due to some brain cramps on my part.
- confused adverbs with adjectives
- completely brain farted on what c stands for
- typed “Verdi,” then backspaced to the V and replaced with “-ivaldi”
Howard
Contributor

Post by Howard »

For the Shakespeare clue I put stage instead of a stage, and for the Dunkirk question I didn't spell it all the way, do you think they will still consider those questions correct.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

berto wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 pm This is what I have as the correct responses. Feel free to correct.

26. Your

or 'Our'
Oh, of course! This is definitely what they were going for. I could see my response being one that would be negged on the show, only to be reversed at the break.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Landryn
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Landryn »

Magna wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:18 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:56 pm One possible correction: "Our" in #26. Our/hour are homophones.
I noticed that too, but "our" (or "ours") was all I could think of so I went with that.
For that one, I put "your/yore". Depending on how you read the question, this also works.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:06 pm
mahatma wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:04 pm What's the verdict on 'ours' instead of 'our'?
Doesn't technically match the clue as "a period of time" points to singular rather than plural but on the show they generally don't neg for a singular/plural disagreement unless the category is something like "4 letter words" or "ends with -ur", so you should be fine here.
I think the clue is badly worded. "A period of time" suggests hour but "possessive pronoun" suggests ours. I think most English grammarians would class my, your, her, our, and their as possessive determiners that stand in for adjectives. The possessive pronouns in the strict sense are words that stand in for nouns such as mine, yours, hers, ours, and theirs.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

bibliophage wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:38 pm I think the clue is badly worded. "A period of time" suggests hour but "possessive pronoun" suggests ours. I think most English grammarians would class my, your, her, our, and their as possessive determiners that stand in for adjectives. The possessive pronouns in the strict sense are words that stand in for nouns such as mine, yours, hers, ours, and theirs.
I'm tutoring an ESL student, and as luck would have it, I compiled a list of homonyms for the next lesson. On that list: "Hour/Our".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got 45 and missed :
Spoiler
Axons for Neurons on a 50/50/90
No clue on The Alchemist
Iran instead of Kuwait :oops:
FTD instead of Hallmark - The test does not need multiple company slogan type clues - was lucky to guess Arby's
Labor Relations instead of La Raza

Our/Hour gets me to 45.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

I played off youtube video posted by J! and it had repeated question on Sue Grafton. I'm surprised to see that it is not even in the test based on input here. Also, the clues went by very quickly (not the 8 seconds or whatever time on normal exam), so not a good idea to use as a practice test for next two days. Would have passed today's exam.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:30 pm was the answer to #3 synapse or neuron?
Neuron. A synapse is the junction BETWEEN neurons, not the nerve cell itself.

Got 45!

Bleah, "The Defenders" was an answer on tonight's show and I still couldn't come up with Jessica Jones! (Neither could Keith, who was sitting in the next room watching "The Flash" while I was taking the test :lol:
Last edited by VAdame on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 pm I played off youtube video posted by J! and it had repeated question on Sue Grafton. I'm surprised to see that it is not even in the test based on input here. Also, the clues went by very quickly (not the 8 seconds or whatever time on normal exam), so not a good idea to use as a practice test for next two days. Would have passed today's exam.
She's #20
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

43 here. It did feel tougher than usual, though -- maybe because I missed 3 out of the first 10. Could have got a couple more, but I'll take it. Best of luck to those of you taking the test tomorrow or Thursday. :)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Peachbox wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 pm 43 here. It did feel tougher than usual, though -- maybe because I missed 3 out of the first 10. Could have got a couple more, but I'll take it. Best of luck to those of you taking the test tomorrow or Thursday. :)
I'm a slow starter on these tests, but the consensus appears to be that the early questions were especially rough. I'm kicking myself over missing "Jessica Jones", which has come up in regular Jeopardy as well as on my pop culture flashcards.