TD 370 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 2xx (FINAL RESULTS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 370 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 2xx (FINAL RESULTS)

Post by floridagator »

This is not merely a TD, but the first in a RING of EIGHT TDs. The theme of this ring of TDs is Classic Area Codes. Until 1995, all area codes had 0 or 1 as their middle digit. Those are the classic North American area codes. There will be a TD for each starting digit, 2 through 9. You don't need to know anything about area codes to play or succeed. Read the questions. Many are EASY!

To up my game, there will be an ACTUAL AWARD for the winner of the ring of eight TDs. To be eligible to win an Amazon gift card, you must participate in all eight TDs. Winner will be the one with the lowest total score.

Each TD in the ring will have at least one visual question, at least one aural question, at least one sports question, and one before and after question.

I will not take over TDs for the next eight weeks, so these TDs will be spread out over many months.

Standard TD rules apply. For each question below, there are a number of choices. Choose one as your answer. Think Different is scored by the number of people who submit the same answer. It's best to be the only person who chooses a particular answer. The most common answer is called the sheep. You don't want to be a sheep. Incorrect answers get the sheep score plus five points. Low score wins. Bonus questions will allow you to reduce your score by up to four.

You may drop one question and sheep one question. (To sheep means to accept the highest score on a question without fear of giving an incorrect answer.) No research! Your answers must come from your head; not your reference library, search engine or your neighbor who writes for a quiz show. This TD closes Monday, March 12 at 9:00 AM EDT.

Submit your answers here

For information only, here's the area code map from the classic period. Note how simple it is compared to today's area code map.

On with the TD...

201 - NEW JERSEY

Answer one of these questions about Thomas Alva Edison. LETTER NOT REQUIRED.
  • Ten letter American word for a device that can play back recorded sound
  • Twelve letter word for a light bulb containing a strip of tungsten inside a vacuum
  • Although he spent most of his career in New Jersey, Edison was born in what state whose capital is Columbus?
  • In 2016, a statue of Edison became part of Statuary Hall in what building?
  • Edison grew up in which Michigan city on the Canadian border and a large lake?
  • What kind of current did Edison advocate for wiring the nation's homes?
  • What company did Edison organize in Schenectady in 1892?
  • In which major U.S. city did Edison build the first electrical distribution system?
  • What is the three word term for the phenomenon that lets people experience a motion picture as a continuous viewing experience instead of seeing 18-24 discrete frames per second?
  • Edison was known as the wizard of what New Jersey place?

202 - DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Name a federal cabinet department.

203 - CONNECTICUT

Answer a question about one of these Yale alumni. LETTER NOT REQUIRED.
  • Wrote "Main Street" and "Babbitt"
  • Won the design competition for the Vietnam Memorial in Washington while an undergraduate.
  • Wrote several books about Nixon and three volumes of "Bush At War"
  • Who let nothing stand in his way as he engineered public works marvels from one end of New York to the other (and back)?
  • Who served 12 years as governor of Arkansas in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s?
  • What fiercely proud alumnus was known for his awkward use of obscure polysyllabic words during decades of hosting Firing Line?
  • Who wrote her senior thesis on the building of the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome and then got elected to succeed Hubert H. Humphrey (and his wife) in the U.S. Senate?
  • Name the composer of "You're the Top," "Love for Sale," and "Night and Day."
  • What Academy Award winning actress was an undergraduate at Yale when she became enmeshed in an assassination attempt?
  • Who is best known for portraying Arthur Fonzarelli?

BONUS - Name the four four-letter Republican presidents who have degrees from Yale. -1 each.

204 - MANITOBA

No point in taking chances on the weather. Even when weather is unpredictable someplace else, it's always nice and frosty all winter in Manitoba!

Name a city or town in Manitoba.

205 - ALABAMA

Alabama is first in the alphabet. Answer a question about one of these places that's also first in the alphabet. LETTER NOT REQUIRED
  • This province of Canada is known for its mountains and oilfields
  • The name of this state of Mexico means hot waters
  • This European country is called Shqipëria in its own language
  • NATO went to war against this Asian country on October 7, 2001
  • This African country is the largest in area
  • This president is first alphabetically
  • This 1950 film directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz is the first Best Picture winner alphabetically
  • This Hartford-based insurance company is the first of the Fortune 100 alphabetically
  • Which of the five great lakes is first alphabetically?
  • Among the largest cities in each of the 50 states, which is first alphabetically?

206 - WASHINGTON

Seattle has emerged as an important business center in the last 25 years. Answer one of these questions about companies based in the Emerald City and its suburbs. LETTER NOT REQUIRED
  • What aircraft company, formerly the largest headquartered in Washington by far, moved its headquarters to Chicago in the early 2000s?
  • What maker of premium soft drinks is headquartered in Seattle, despite having the name of another city in its products?
  • Name the upscale department store company founded in Seattle in 1901.
  • What warehouse store's house brand is named Kirkland Select after the Seattle suburb where it's headquartered?
  • What software and Internet giant was founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen in 1975?
  • What company that got its start as an online book seller now claims to be earth's biggest store?
  • Nature doesn't compromise. Neither does this outdoor outfitter.
  • What forest products company got its start with 900,000 acres of timberland?
  • Some people refuse to start the day without a visit to one of this company's 27,000 locations worldwide.
  • Clutterers should try to avoid shopping at this chain of for-profit thrift stores headquartered in Bellevue.

207 - MAINE

Maine is home to Acadia National Park, one of the most visited in the Northeast. Answer one of these questions about America's national parks. LETTER REQUIRED.

A. This first park, established in 1872, lies at the junction of three states.
B. This largest national park outside Alaska contains the lowest point in the United States.
C. Name the most-visited national park, on the Tennessee-North Carolina border.
D. What national park is bound together with Waterton Lakes National Park on the Canadian side?
E. What California park contains the landmark mountains El Capitan and Half Dome?
F. What park of the Southwest contains the Great White Throne?
G. What national park is in Michigan, although closer to Minnesota?
H. Bill Clinton grew up near what national park?
I. What national park is home to manatees, crocodiles, and sawgrass?
J. In which state is Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park?

208 - IDAHO

Name a variety of potato

209 - CALIFORNIA

Name one of these products of California's fabulous Central Valley.

209.png
209.png (365.21 KiB) Viewed 8129 times

212 - NEW YORK

Identify one of these films set in New York City

212.png
212.png (444.86 KiB) Viewed 8129 times

213 - CALIFORNIA

Name a landmark in Los Angeles County

214 - TEXAS

Answer one of these questions pertaining to the events of November 22-24, 1963. LETTER NOT REQUIRED.
  • Who let himself into the police garage and assassinated Lee Harvey Oswald?
  • What is the four word name of both the company that employed the assassin and the building from which he fired?
  • What Dallas police officer was shot dead in broad daylight on November 22, 1963?
  • What is the connection of the film "War Is Hell" starring Van Heflin to the assassination?
  • Name the Texas governor wounded in the barrage.
  • What is the name of the airport from which the presidential motorcade began?
  • Who was the first woman to swear in a president?
  • In what country was the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle manufactured?
  • What river flows through Dallas?
  • What newsman and future PBS anchor did Lee Oswald encounter as he fled the scene?

215 - PENNSYLVANIA

Name a pro sports team from one of the big four professional sports that was once or still is based in Philadelphia.

216 - OHIO

Name a person who has been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as a solo performer.

217 - ILLINOIS BEFORE & AFTER

You know how to do it. Combine two clues into an overlapping answer. Example: Current supreme court justice who wrote the Declaration of Independence: Clarence Thomas Jefferson.
  • Civil War president easily recognized by that arc for the spare tire inside the trunk
  • Venue that hosted William "The Refrigerator" Perry and woolly mammoths
  • Shopping and entertainment center who sets his novels in Xanth
  • Founder of Hull House has a tollway featuring Carolyn Jones & John Astin
  • Longtime Chicago mayor (or his son) who can let a Jeopardy! contestant advance in score rapidly
  • Senator from Massachusetts who had a hit record with "Gallant Men" before his unexpected death
  • Lerner and Loewe wrote a song about these twin cities that are home of the University of Illinois
  • North Side college always ready with a saucy barb as the center square
  • Infamous murdered atheist who by some measures is the world's busiest
  • Former president who settled in Galena and went on to produce his wife's sitcom and all its spinoffs
  • Woman's Christian Temperence League founder who gave shoutouts to people on their 100th birthdays
  • Gary Coleman utterance pertaining to the world's tallest building for 30 years

218 - MINNESOTA

Name a lake in Minnesota. It need not be within the 218 area code.

219 - INDIANA

Northern Indiana is most famous for three things. Two are Notre Dame and Michael J. Jackson. I forget the third thing.

Listen to this audio clip and name one of the hits of Michael Joseph Jackson. LETTER REQUIRED.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:25 am, edited 11 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: TD 370 - CLASSIC AREA CODES 2xx (NOW OPEN, ACTUAL PRIZE!)

Post by MarkBarrett »

I went through the complete set and thank you for the laugh. Well done. Hint: Do not miss any of the choices.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I can't think of how to phrase this without giving too much away and an IM could potentially give me an unfair advantage. For 202, would I (theoretically) be good with an answer of Department of Iceboxes and Buggy Whips?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Hell, no. I take TDs very seriously. Strictness in scoring is a must because if you cut one person a break then you have to give the next person a break and so on and then you don't have a game anymore.

If you're not sure something is a correct answer then don't use it. There must be at least a half-dozen that you're absolutely sure about, right? One of the comical things about this game is that the most obvious answer will often go unused while something obscure will sheep.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Okay, since my beating around the bush apparently used a circle with too large a circumference, I will just come out and ask:

For 202 are you looking for a current cabinet department or are those defunct, merged or renamed also fair game?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Old names for departments are acceptable, but they will be combined with answers using the current name. I can think of one very large agency that used to be a cabinet department and affects most Americans 6 days a week but is no longer a cabinet department and naming that as a cabinet department would be a wrong answer.

So as a practical matter, a current department. There is no advantage gained for using an old name, and some might be wrong answers.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thank you for offering this. I hope the prize adds some intrigue and boosts participation.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For 204, how are you defining “city or town”? Any populated place?

(Singleton, here I come! ;) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 am For 204, how are you defining “city or town”? Any populated place?

I should have checked this before I answered.
sillymoose
Valued Contributor

Post by sillymoose »

For 215, does it have to be a team that still plays in one of said leagues?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

218 - does said lake have to be entirely in Minnesota’s borders?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 am For 204, how are you defining “city or town”? Any populated place?

Yeah, if I don't get a singleton on this...I'm blaming you.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

For 204 any city or town that would be readily found on a standard road map would be fine. There must be hundreds really. I can think of at least a dozen off the top of my head.

For 215 anything that's still playing there is fine. anything that's moved is fine. I'm not sure what defunct team you're alluding to but if it's the kind of thing where somebody could look in a reference book about one of the 4 major sports NBA NFL NHL MLB football baseball basketball hockey and see that there was such a team that was based in Philadelphia at one time that would be fair game too.

For 218 border lakes are fine and I've heard some of them have good fishing and boating and even some shipwrecks.
Last edited by floridagator on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

You may have an entry from "twelv" or something like that. He's a moron and should get all the sheep + 5's. OTOH, twelvefootboy will at least get the credit for the correct singleton response to #1 (your name).

edit - maybe you can leave "twelv" in the scoring to keep me off the bottom for once! At least I used a drop as I have no speakers to hear the last clue :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

For "landmarks", what definition are you using?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

CoachP wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 am For "landmarks", what definition are you using?
very flexible. I will consider anything at all as long as it's in LA County.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm
CoachP wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 am For "landmarks", what definition are you using?
So the home of relative XYZ who lives in LA would count? ;)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Wpwells wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:18 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm
So the home of relative XYZ who lives in LA would count? ;)
Fine by me. I would prefer it to be in a form that can be verified online. I might be disappointed if some people don't get singletons. Morbeedo once asked this same q about NYC in a td.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Okay, further clarification on 215. My answer fits your original description

"Name a pro sports team from one of the big four professional sports that was once or still is based in Philadelphia."

But not your clarified description. Please check my answer and let me know if I need to fix it.

Also, sorry about the partial entry, I must have accidentally hit the enter key while typing.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Nice.

10/10.

Magnificent.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.