Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), March 6, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), March 6, 2018

Post by heppm01 »

38, from the video. I imagine I would have missed a few more under the pressure of doing it "for real".
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Silverfox wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am Can someone explain #36 to me?
I said Labor Relations, is that correct?
This was not one of my better results. Oh well, wait until next time.
National Council of La Raza was founded in 1968. It changed its name to Unidos USA last year: https://www.wsj.com/articles/la-raza-fi ... 1500229809

I knew about La Raza because they promoted non-union lettuce boycotts when my wife and I were in college during the 1970s.

Jeopardy boardies are smart people, but even so, I thought this question was obscure.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

After missing 6 of the first 10 (including brain farts on treason reason, Kelly Anne Conway, and misspelling zappos as zappas), I recovered for a 38 missing also: neuron (synapse), arno (elbe, knew it was wrong), the alchemist (no clue), adverb (blank), stage (blank), our/hour (eon, knew it was wrong), Jobs (blank), La Raza (lesbian relations), WOF cookie (brain fart, was confusing category with rhyme time and realized it too late). FIngers crossed that 38 is good enough, I think it was my best score so far.
BradsDad
Contributor

Post by BradsDad »

Playing off the video, got 47/50. Several educated guesses worked.

I said sensory neurons. The clue specified input to the brain and spinal cord, so I suspect cranial nerves doesn’t quite fit.

Missed Chalet, raza, Dunkirk.

There used to be a Suisse Chalet motel that I would drive past regularly, but it didn’t come to me.

I’m probably taking for real tonight. Fingers crossed.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

For the "Think Different" clue, I wrote "Einstein" and then changed it to "Da Vinci," since that was Walter Isaacson's most recent biography. Oddly, I knew the clue was a reference to Apple Computers but forgot that Isaacson also wrote the Steve Jobs biography. But the mind can go in strange directions when the pressure is on.

Yes, there were some unusually difficult questions, but all in all I found this to be a pretty standard J! test. And I scored a pretty standard 43.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

nklotz wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:19 pm That's gonna be close for me, had a couple bad stretches. Think I was right around 37-38 (hopefully!)
Actually did a few points better than I originally thought and ended up with 40 correct, assuming they accept "Jones" for Jessica Jones and "Zelda" for Legend of Zelda.

Misses:
Spoiler
7 THE BIBLE ------- John the Baptist (Matthew)
8 WEBSITES ------- Zappos (eBay)
10 FAMOUS WOMEN ------- Kellyanne Conway (Hope Hicks)
16 CHEMISTRY LAB ------- distillation (fermentation)
17 MUSIC MAKERS ------- Andrea Bocelli (no response)
24 ARCHITECTURE ------- Chalet (A-Frame)
36 ORGANIZATIONS ------- La Raza (Lesbian Rights, lol)
37 BEFORE & AFTER ------- Wheel of Fortune Cookie (no response)
44 MOUNTAINS ------- Australia (Antarctica)
48 FRENCH CLASS ------- Gauche (no response)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

movieman wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 am Lastly, would just Zelda have been fine for 50? Thanks.
It wasn't fine for the Final Jeopardy of this episode.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4255
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am
movieman wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 am Lastly, would just Zelda have been fine for 50? Thanks.
That Final Jeopardy is the only reason I got that clue on the test. I do think they might be more lenient on the test, because "Legend" was part of the clue.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Fighting a cold, I decided to go for tonight's test. Taking this one off the video, I got 42 or 41, depending on whether "neurons" was considered correct. It didn't feel significantly harder to me, but there was less pop culture in it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:52 am
I'd accept it. That FJ asked for the first game in the series, Q50 just asked for the series and 'Zelda' is common enough shorthand for the series.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 pm
satori wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:12 pm After a slow start, I got 36 or 37 (depending on whether they accept "Elizabeth Browning").

I can't imagine them not accepting that....
No reason they shouldn't. Several leading biographies refer to her by that name.
billiej

Post by billiej »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 am For the "Think Different" clue...."Da Vinci," since that was Walter Isaacson's most recent biography. Oddly, I knew the clue was a reference to Apple Computers but forgot that Isaacson also wrote the Steve Jobs biography. But the mind can go in strange directions when the pressure is on.
I did the same thing... :oops:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I did poorly on this test taking it from the Facebook page (37 correct - I'm normally 40-45 correct). I'm hoping that it was the ~4-5 second time per question, but it was also that I'm not as good as I would like to be at literature and US politics.

That being said, I can confidently state that "nerve cells" = "neurons", and simply saying that should get you the point. Synapse is wrong (a junction between nerve cells), axon is wrong (part of a neuron). Cranial nerves are bundles of many neurons - might be accepted, might not.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:12 am treason reason, Kelly Anne Conway
Just piping in to say I like this juxtaposition.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

That La Raza question seems obscure to me. Never heard of them.
But thanks for clearing it up for me.
BTW Don't you think they use al dente a lot? It was on a recent show.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Woof

Post by Woof »

boson wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:31 pm
That being said, I can confidently state that "nerve cells" = "neurons", and simply saying that should get you the point. Synapse is wrong (a junction between nerve cells), axon is wrong (part of a neuron). Cranial nerves are bundles of many neurons - might be accepted, might not.
I'm not so confident about just neurons being accepted. Given the wording of the question "nerve cells called these send information to the brain and spinal cord" I would guess that they're looking for something more specific since neurons are found in the CNS too. "Peripheral neurons" I think might be what they're looking for but I'm really not sure.
stat74
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by stat74 »

stat74 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 am I'm sorry if I missed this upthread -- but for number 3 I believe the correct answer is cranial nerves.
Now that I've thought about this, I believe the question is asking for sensory nerves, which relay information "to the brain and spinal cord" (as said in the clue), as opposed to motor nerves, which send information FROM the brain and spinal cord.

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedicti ... sory+nerve

I don't think neuron can be right, because it's just another word for nerve cell, which was in the clue.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/neuron
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I guessed "ganglia" for the nerve cells. Neuron seemed too general for what they were looking for--it sounded like a specific kind of nerve cell, and a neuron is too general a term, IMO. But I don't know enough bio to know if ganglia is an answer to this question.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

44/50 from the video (counting 'ours/hours' as correct), and I didn't find the test any harder than the one I took last year

Missed 2 of the first 25 clues, and 4 of the second half. No guess at all on 3 of those

10 more months in the pool. I'm turning into a prune
nklotz

Post by nklotz »

stat74 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm
I don't think neuron can be right, because it's just another word for nerve cell, which was in the clue.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/neuron
It's almost as if the clue... uses other words to describe the answer that you're supposed to get.

I'm fairly certain that "neuron" is the correct response here.
Last edited by nklotz on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.